[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello everyone, my name is William Khumalo. I am a South African
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 12
File: guywiththumbs.jpg (51 KB, 638x425) Image search: [Google]
guywiththumbs.jpg
51 KB, 638x425
Hello everyone, my name is William Khumalo. I am a South African who has just entered college and have just started using the internet, due to being poor and my parents with their strict Christian upbringing of me not allowing me to listen to music considered "ungodly".

Now, however, that I'm considered an adult by my parents and have exited school, they have become considerably more relaxed in their restrictions. They still won't let me drink, but then again, none of my friends do anyways. And now I'm allowed to listen to all types of music (as long as it isn't loud enough to disturb them).

So, to get to the point, I am currently lacking a lot of exposure to music in my life. The only music I've heard in my life is gospel/praise and worship, street club music, or Marvin Gaye. I feel like I can be open minded to musical experiences however, as my friend showed me some of his music, like Gorillaz, Massive Attack, Black Sabbath and Kanye West. I said I enjoyed it, and he said if I did, that I should go online to either /mu/ or Reddit - /r/music, which are according to him, the two biggest music forums on the internet.

So now, I'm asking, is there any particular music that would appeal to me, based on the albums my friend showed me? They were, in order:
Blue Lines
Demon Days
The College Dropout
Master of Reality
I, in particular, enjoyed the songs "Demon Days" / "Every Planet We Reach is Dead", "We Don't Care" / "Jesus Walks", "Hymn of the Big Wheel" / "Unfinished Sympathy" and the entirety of Master of Reality. I would love albums in the styles of those songs.

Thank you in advance! :)
>>
William, I would suggest that you go feed yourself to a pack of hyenas.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZB3RgTEhrQ
>>
>>60708077
Why? :(
>>
you and your friend are plebs.
>>
>>60708091
People are mean here. Just look at stuff, you'll find stuff eventually
>>
>>60708091
dont mind anything that is written here
4chan consists of autists who insult everyone out of envy
>>
>>60708090
Sounds like Master of Reality, but more aggressive! I like it, I'll bookmark it for later.
>>60708094
? What is a pleb?
>>
>>60708110
this is a music discussion board, not a "spoonfeed me music reccomendations" board. If you want to learn, read the god damn sticky and lurk
>>
>>60708102
>>60708103
Oh, okay.
>>60708129
Oh, I didn't see that. I must be blind. Thanks for the information.
>>
File: 1445282907942.jpg (2 MB, 1500x3102) Image search: [Google]
1445282907942.jpg
2 MB, 1500x3102
>>60708144
>>
>>60708218
Hmmm, looks interesting, I presume I should start by the "/mu/core" section.
And Blue Lines by "Electronic"? Huh, sounded more like hip-hop/reggae, but okay.
>>
>>60708454
>And Blue Lines by "Electronic"? Huh, sounded more like hip-hop/reggae, but okay.

Don't take stuff made by rockists very seriously, they don't really understand names or terms outside guitar music.
>>
File: seriously.jpg (12 KB, 283x373) Image search: [Google]
seriously.jpg
12 KB, 283x373
ITT: People seriously believing that some sheltered South African upon breaking free from the shackles of his oppressive Christian parents would go to 4chan 1st to find unworldly music.
>>
>>60708700
My parents aren't oppressive. We grew up in a dangerous area, I assume they were so god-fearing because they didn't want me to grow up being a dangerous people.
And I only know about this website because my friend told me about it. Is this place really so bad? Should I go to /r/music instead? I looked there, and it seems a little more "intimidating" than this place, plus it requires an account so that you can post on it.

Also, on the topic of music discussion, what a previous person on this thread said is that this forum is related to primarily just music discussion, but how is this
>>60708551
>>60708783
>>60702268
music related? It's just discussions about wanting to fondle women!
>>
>>60708856
This guy gets it.
>>
fuck u William
>>
>>60708218
Alright, I finished the first album, "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea". It sounds comfortable and "warm", it kind of fits the hot weather we're having right now, and I loved the trumpets/horns, if that's what they're called.
And to be very honest, I thought this was a Christian album when the guy said he loves Jesus Christ! But it sounds so different to normal Christian albums, plus it has some very "interesting" lyrics, in a good way. I like it.
>>60708881
Get what?
>>
William, listen to rap my friend

>Good kid M.A.A.D. City
>Every hero needs a villain
>Nostalgic 64
>36 Chambers
>Illmatic
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-30-16-13-44.png (258 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-30-16-13-44.png
258 KB, 480x800
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
>>
>>60710064
Okay, I think I'll start with Good Kid.
>>
>>60708049
Is this supposed to be the beginning of an ebin new meme tripfag?
>>
>>60710204
What's a "tripfag"?
>>
>>60710215
http://www.urbandictionary.com/
the best friend of newfags
>>
>>60710225
Oh, so like a username. I understand.
>>
Yo La Tengo - And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out

My nighttime album. You'd love this my African brother.
>>
William it is me, your long lost brother Johnny Khumalo. I am very glad you used /mu/ as I have been searching all over the internet for you. Tell mum and dad that I miss them and wish I could come back from my exile (also tell them I'm sorry I fucked out cousin, she was dressed very sluttily). As for music, get some taste you fucking pleb, all of the artists you listed are shit.
>>
File: recess.jpg (73 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
recess.jpg
73 KB, 500x500
You should check out the Recess EP
>>
File: 1431724655209.jpg (11 KB, 300x364) Image search: [Google]
1431724655209.jpg
11 KB, 300x364
>>60708856
>My parents aren't oppressive. We grew up in a dangerous area, I assume they were so god-fearing because they didn't want me to grow up being a dangerous people.

you parents did the right thing

if only american parents were that smart, the country wouldn't be such a culturally bankrupt shithole
>>
>>60710172

William.....DO NOT LISTEN TO RAP/HIPHOP

It's for plebs only.
>>
File: Fugazi_-_The_Argument_cover.jpg (27 KB, 295x300) Image search: [Google]
Fugazi_-_The_Argument_cover.jpg
27 KB, 295x300
You should listen to fugazi. They're a kind of punk band from Washington DC.
Start with 13 songs, a compilation of their first two EPs. Their last three albums are their best, but might be a bit too much for someone just getting into music. My favorite from them is The Argument.
>>
File: 1441657193496.gif (3 MB, 472x360) Image search: [Google]
1441657193496.gif
3 MB, 472x360
>>60710508
>>
File: 71bsHTr6idL._SL1500_.jpg (173 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
71bsHTr6idL._SL1500_.jpg
173 KB, 1500x1500
Daft Punk - Discovery (which you can see on that chart) is a positive way start off this musical journey of yours.

There's so much excellent shit out there, and it is never too late to feel emotionally stimulated.
Enjoy.
>>
>>60710653

+1111

the first album I bought, it's universaly appreciate even in Africa.
>>
>>60708049
Good luck to you Mr khumalo. Dean Blunt - Black Metal is a cool album that you might enjoy
>>
>>60710686
yeah same, first album I bought as well (that wasn't some kids album or hits compilation haha).

And there's a reason it's a favorite of so many.
>>
Just finished Good Kid Mad City
>>60710375
Listened to the first track on Youtube. Sounds nice, will give it a listen when I'm more awake.
>>60710413
Haha what is this?
>>60710444
Alright.
>>60710490
I don't know much about American culture, but it can't be worse than South Africa's. Most local culture that I've seen is mostly just stereotypes (flashy cars, lower class slang, gang violence, seeing either sport or going overseas as the only way of surviving in this country, or just weird internet things) of American movie stereotypes, just far less "diverse" (if stereotypes can even be diverse, I guess, although that's probably the wrong term).
>>60710508
I like hip-hop, I don't want to be pigeonholed into listening to certain kinds of music. Maybe you can post your favorite non-hip hop albums then?
>>60710586
Noted and bookmarked.
>>60710653
Oh Daft Punk! I've heard some of their songs before, like Harder Better Faster Stronger and Get Lucky. Never knew they did albums, but that was a stupid assumption of me to do so. Noted.
>>60710738
Got it.
>>
File: 81FUPq1LiSL._SL1300_.jpg (290 KB, 1300x1300) Image search: [Google]
81FUPq1LiSL._SL1300_.jpg
290 KB, 1300x1300
I (>>60710653) am adding another album as well.

Brian Eno - Ambient 2 (The Plateaux of Mirror)

This is quite different from Daft Punk hahaha, not as well known,
but he is a legendary producer and figure within the music world.

The album is sublime and it holds a very dear place in my heart.
>>
File: Knipsel3.png (16 KB, 71x80) Image search: [Google]
Knipsel3.png
16 KB, 71x80
>>60710878
William you seem like a cool dude
did you enjoy good kid maad city?
>>
>>60708856
The board has it's flaws. Because just about anyone can say just about anything with no upvote/downvote system, you have to sift through the loud idiots to find the many relatively quiet posters with whom you can have intelligent music convos.

Try:
M83-- Hurry Up We're Dreaming
Porter Robinson -- Worlds
Rustie-- Glass Swords
The Weeknd-- Trilogy
Sigur Rós-- Ágætis byrjun

also, question: what do normal S Africans think of Die Antwoord?
>>
>>60711159
>anything with no upvote/downvote system
>implying this wouldn't destroy the board/site
>>
>>60711180
how would this in anyway destroy the board?
>>
>>60709096
If you like hip hop, check out some MF Grimm, Wu-Tang clan, and MF Doom. Classical shit.
>>
>>60711055
Judging by the title (Ambient 2), I suspect it'll be "Ambient" music? I guess it'll be calming, and I like calming, soothing music, so I'll give it a shot.
>>60711063
I did, actually! I found it to be a lot more "atmospheric" (if the term is applicable in this instance) than The College Dropout, with its and it had a very interesting story to tell, judging by the lyrics I read, it obviously is talking about the dangerous setup that I presume many people in the city of Compton face. Backseat Freestyle seems kinda out of place in the whole story that Mr. Lamar was trying to set up, but I guess that song was just showing what he was like when he was much younger? It's still a funny song, very catchy. I liked Peer Pressure and Sherane a lot.
>>60711159
Ok.
I remember my mom saying something about this group named Die Antwoord being "satanic" because of one of the members having black eyes.
I saw a music video from a friend, it seems most people I know don't particularly care for them, and see it as just "weird, white people stuff". They say it's supposed to be a satirical version of lower class white culture. I don't know really, not much of an opinion on them from most people.
Also, booked those albums for later.
>>
>>60710878
>American movie stereotypes

America is nothing like the movies, it's shit
>>
>>60711426
*with its laid back beats
>>
>>60711453
I think you might have misunderstood what I was trying to say.
What I meant was is that much of the local South African culture that I've been exposed to tends to try and mimic negative American movie stereotypes, such as glorifying violence, trying to impress people with fancy cars, having many sexual partners is good, etc etc.
>>
>>60711629
is there a problem with having many sexual partners, so long as you use protection? desu you sound a bit brainwashed by your parents
>>
>>60711658
You have to understand South Africa, the AIDs epidemic is fucking that country over. Sure the whole protection thing is nice, but when as many people have AIDs as they do in SA, I can see why he'd be a bit put off by the whole thing.
>>
>>60711658
I don't see a problem with it, I only see it as a problem when people try to glorify it so it's seen as a way for guys to validate themselves as a "real man".
>>
>>60708103
>>60708102
>>60708466
all these faggots in this thread.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.