[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we get people to start reading books again?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1443067869359.jpg (63 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1443067869359.jpg
63 KB, 768x1024
How do we get people to start reading books again?
>>
fuck off, barnes and nobles, if you want me to consult for you then pay me.
>>
get more stephen kings and jk rowlings.
>>
Put chemicals in the water that increases people's IQ and also give them many more hours of free time in each day.
>>
>again
Compared to when and where? The literacy rate today is as high as it's ever been. If people did read more at any point in the past, they were just reading disposable magazines and dime novels while they waited for television to be invented.
>>
why should they?
>>
>>8214837
This. I don't think people read less things then they ever did before.
Amazon sells fucktons of books, e readers are big money.
The proletariat never read books or tried to be informed.
>>
>>8214813
i really don't give a shit
>>
>>8215103
Why not?
>>
>>8214813
Remove electricity.
>>
File: Nu School.jpg (26 KB, 609x336) Image search: [Google]
Nu School.jpg
26 KB, 609x336
>>8214813

Nu School Know-Brow YA

>>8215530
>>
>Watching movies and TV is for plebs; it rots your brain
>Reading novels is for patricians; it's gentlemanly and learned

Is the distaste for "merely watching TV/Movies" simply a modern development; a reaction of the disgust reflex against the media addiction that goes hand-in-hand with (and arguably supports) our objectively measurable intellectual and social development? After all, given the choice of reading a novel and watching a film with the same content, most will opt for the film if only because it will take a fraction of the time and energy.

Aren't reading and "watching" both just passively absorbing narratives? On what grounds can we put one on a pedestal and the other in the gutter? Because reading is less efficient it's "better"?

And if we accept that reading is "mere consumption" as well, isn't the critical fault-line actually that between creating new ideas and passively absorbing existing ideas?
>>
give them money
>>
>>8214813
>how do we get people to start watching plays again?
>>
we don't, if more people started reading books then it would ruin books
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.