[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sffg/- Science Fiction and Fantasy General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: chest.jpg (12 KB, 205x246) Image search: [Google]
chest.jpg
12 KB, 205x246
>Fantasy
Selected: http://i.imgur.com/3v2oXAY.jpg/
General: http://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
Flowchart: http://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/

>Sci-Fi
Selected: http://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: http://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ / http://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Chesterton edition
>Favourite Chesterton novel
>What do you like about it
>Why is he the only happy surrealist?
>>
First for brent weeks, sanderson and rothfuss
>>
Previous Thread:
>>8040799
>>
Is there a Napoleon of Notting Hill audiobook somewhere?
>>
>>8046548
Sanderson is anime (and over-explains magic). Rothfuss has sometimes cringe-inducing first person narratives. I haven't read Weeks. What's he do that puts him in a category with them?
>>
>>8046607
>sometimes
Rothfuss' writing is constantly cringe.
>>
>>8046590
It's old enough for Librivox.

Anyone know how it holds up to Man Who Was Thursday? That's the only other Chesterton fiction I've read, but I'm hopelessly in love with his nonfiction.
>>
>>8046616
I've only read excerpts and was giving him the benefit of the doubt.
>>
>>8046627
Librivox is mostly cancer, was hoping for something like audible.
Man Who was Thursday is one of the most fun novels I've ever read which is why I want Napoleon, also Wolfe said it was his favorite Chesterton.
Father Brown was cool, but his least interesting.
>>
>No good torrent for graphic audio for Night Angel Trilogy
>Considered buying it
>It's fucking split into parts and you have to pay for every part

What the fuck is this shit, why the fuck do I have to pay for a third of the product
>>
>>8046607
He's really edgy with no subtlety.

>>8046616
>using cringe as an adjective
I know it's common usage here, but this always triggers my language sensibilities
>>
>>8046649
>graphic audio
>>
>>8046658

yeah?
>>
>>8046658

It's a movie in your mind, mate
>>
Looking for the very best of very contemporary fantasy. I want a series where the first entry came out in 2015 or 2016.

Bonus points for managing to find a balance between loledgy/grimdark and "the good guys are 100% altruistic," not over-explaining the magic, and managing a kind of breathtakingly epic scope from the very beginning.

Even more bonus points if there's at least one lovable rogue in a major role.
>>
>>8046679

no such series
>>
>>8046681
What comes closest?
>>
>>8046679
Not a series but check out Guy Gavriel Kays new book that came out literally two days ago.
>>
Anyone here read R scott bakker? what does /lit/ think of it? Could someone elaborate what makes it good or bad ?

> gay,rape and incest
>>
>>8046686
That Guy guy sucks, Tigana was a melodramatic mess
>>8046687
It;s hard to explain what the books are really about...
>>
>>8046693
Shit taste detected.
>>
>>8046687
Having only read the first in his ongoing series...
>good
Interesting philosophy, staggering scope, fascinating characters, it being incredibly bleak doesn't detract from how wondrous it all is.
>bad
Not a single likable character, especially no likable female characters, at times drags a little, sometimes how blisteringly grim it is can become exhausting
>>
>>8046679
You're actually looking for Red Rising, but you don't know it.
>>
>>8046694
oh come on. Tigana had shit characters... It felt like on of those Spanish telenovellas . They cry and shit themselves because of a name...not to mention that everyone is an idiot.

The bad guy should have won, there's literally no way he could lose in any situation...The whole ending left a bad taste in my mouth, it was Sanderson tier, that guy knows nothing about warfare...or logic for that matter.
>>
>>8046607

Brent Weeks is a disgusting misogynist and his books are filled with sexism and constant male gaze, even if his plots are good it's impossible to read the books
>>
>>8046699
>>8046687

hmmm, I heard about the unlikable characters. Could you enjoy it without having someone to "root for" ? curious what yoi think
>>
I am looking for schlock. Guilty pleasures. If any of you know the Daniel Black books, that sort of stuff.

sexytime in the books are a plus
>>
>>8046727
I know this post is to troll /lit/ because /lit/ gets mad if anyone takes "doesn't handle female characters well" as a legitimate criticism, but I haven't read Weeks. Is this accurate?
>>8046731
I root for Khellus regardless. I don't "like" him but he's fascinating.
>>
>>8046720
It's not his best work but still solid. His prose is among the best in the genre and calling him "Sanderson tier" just makes you look uneducated. Read more before you judge.
>>
>>8046738
> Is this accurate?
Kind of, it's not just women but he seems to like raping/murdering/torturing a lot of characters, trying to be "grim" but just ending up a bit ridiculous.
>>
File: 1422607762230.jpg (123 KB, 474x528) Image search: [Google]
1422607762230.jpg
123 KB, 474x528
>>8046616
>I focused my alar
>>
>>8046727
wtf is male gaze ?
>>8046738
hmm, from what I understand, Kellhus is hard to like
>>8046740

He is Sanderson tier, when it comes to plot. I loved his writing style, there where some good moments...however the way the plot is handled made me dislike the books. The whole ending is shit, the way the main characters falls in love with Tigana is shit, the way everybody is sooo emotional is also shit. It's simply too much, no matter how good the writing is.
>>
I'm reading a book right now.

Does the book handle female characters well?

What do I think about it?
>>
File: 5 (2).jpg (44 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
5 (2).jpg
44 KB, 600x750
>>8046763
>>
>>8046761
>wtf is male gaze?
Refers to the way men look at women. Example: The way cameras in movies, video games, and so on, tend to dwell on women's bodies and such, imitating the way men often look at women's bodies, but also reinforcing the behavior by making it what people are used to seeing. It's a feminist criticism of both men gawking, staring, or leering at women's bodies in a way that in some cases comes across as aggressive, and media focusing too heavily on women's bodies in a way that the critic believes is objectifying.

I'm not arguing anything in particular about if/when it's a valid critique. Just explaining it briefly and probably poorly.
>>
>>8046763
>Does the book handle female characters well?
For its time, certainly. It was written in the 1930s, after all. It's certainly not as bad in that regard as some of Lovecraft's writing, for instance. There's the occasional line that makes you say, "...really?" but mostly it's fine.

>What do I think about it?
You plan to reread it as soon as you're done, to pick up any foreshadowing and see if there are things you get on the second time through.
>>
>>8046782
well thank you. It sounds kinda stupid but at least I understand what you say.
>>
Any good novels with a little girl protag?
>>
>"Show this fellow you are indeed of the torturers' guild."
>The peltast was relaxed, so there was no great difficulty. I knocked his shield aside with my right arm, putting my left foot on his right to pin him while I crushed that nerve in the neck that induces convulsions.
Oh shit, Severian finally showing his competence in actions.
>>
>>8046896

Yes
>>
File: Lower Than a Thousand rating.png (1 MB, 455x6270) Image search: [Google]
Lower Than a Thousand rating.png
1 MB, 455x6270
Posting again for the anon who wanted it.
It seems he didn't see it last thread.
>>
So what is wrong with GraphicAudio?

I quite like it
>>
>>8046649
>not being
P R I V A T E
R
I
V
A
T
E
>>
>>8046937

I have but none of my trackers have a lot of audiobooks, and none of graphic audio, which is a shame
>>
File: file.png (8 KB, 506x35) Image search: [Google]
file.png
8 KB, 506x35
>>8046943
Get better trackers.
>>
>>8046679
Red Rising, Fifth Season, City of Stairs
>>
>>8046950

I'm downloading it at 10kb/s from a public tracker atm, it will be done in a day, not in a hurry.
>>
reading neuromancer at the moment but i can't stop thinking wow this is so edgy
>>
File: Modern Fant Recs.jpg (2 MB, 1956x2329) Image search: [Google]
Modern Fant Recs.jpg
2 MB, 1956x2329
>_>
<_<
Is that anon here?
>>
>>8046970
It's one of those books where you have to keep in mind WHEN it was written, too. There's not much cyberpunk these days for a reason.
>>
>>8046986

>brent weeks

I could stand him if there wasn't ten "fuck" in every single paragraph, ughh
>>
File: improved.jpg (2 MB, 1956x2329) Image search: [Google]
improved.jpg
2 MB, 1956x2329
>>8046986
Improved version reporting in. Don't fall for the memebooks friends!
>>
>>8046996
>throwing out anything by Larry Niven
>not throwing out Malazan
>not throwing out Way of Kings

wew lad. You probably fucked up even more, but there are plenty there I haven't read. Also, who the fuck excluded Dune from the list?
>>
>>8047009

What's bad about Malazan?
>>
>>8046996
You must be joking. How did the black company not make your cut?
>>
>>8047014
I haven't read it yet and I'm not the anon you asked, but there's a weird little war between Malazan fans and a different series. (Was it Bakker? Sorry, I don't have a good memory.)
>>
Just stumbled on my old copy of Musashi from when I was going HARD through my 8th grade syndrome, but now I kind of want to read Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Any recommended version of it?
>>
>>8047038
I've heard it compared to the black company novels most frequently.
>>
>>8047033
Funny it's Black Company and not the complete bait in general
>>
>>8046996
I mean, it's a fairly shit list, but the "correction" is even worse... what's wrong with

>Anathem
>Pullman trilogy
>Altered Carbon
>Quantum Thief
>Night Watch
>The Brothers Grimm

And why would you X The Ocean at the End of the Lane but leave American Gods?

I am angry. Angry about lists.
>>
>>8046987
Yeah it was funny reading the bit about him selling something like 5MB of RAM as something valuable
>>
File: 1460806572463.jpg (72 KB, 300x1110) Image search: [Google]
1460806572463.jpg
72 KB, 300x1110
>>8047051
I realize the image is bait, but I would still like to hear why someone doesn't enjoy the black company series.
>>
File: 1463437822550.jpg (2 MB, 1956x2329) Image search: [Google]
1463437822550.jpg
2 MB, 1956x2329
>>8046986

I have fixed the list.

This is the final version, you dinosaurs.
>>
Started reading The Blade Itself, its pretty based. What does /lit/ generally thinks of it?
>>
File: 1463437822550.jpg (2 MB, 1956x2329) Image search: [Google]
1463437822550.jpg
2 MB, 1956x2329
Real version coming through. :^)
>>
>>8046699
>not liking Akka
>not liking Cnaur

His tragic flaw is that he's a cuck, but otherwise he's pretty alright
>>
>>8046896
Ugh. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and all the other books with it, Through the Looking Glass, and maybe some parts of some of the Narnia books.

>>8047014
I couldn't even make it 11 pages into Guardians of the Moon. It's hard to pinpoint really, just something about it that makes it unreadable.

And if there's any fantasy series that I would consider myself a steadfast fan of, it'd be Dune, and those two fandoms can't really conflict that much can they?
>>
>>8046738
>rooting for the bad guy

How edgy
>>
>>8046896

I hope you get castrated you sick pedo
>>
>>8047092
I love it, don't know for sure and don't care what /lit/ thinks.
>>
File: making patrician out of bait.jpg (2 MB, 1956x2329) Image search: [Google]
making patrician out of bait.jpg
2 MB, 1956x2329
>>8047059
Certified patrician version
>>
>>8047113
As I read it, its universe gradually expands and its becoming better and better. I have a feeling something greater is going to happen. Is that like epic fantasy or?
>>
>>8047092
It's the worst fantasy novel I've read since Rothfuss and well worst book I've read in the last 2 years (so around 150 in total, none are as bad)
>>
Lot of people hate Malazan. Why?
>>
>>8047129
Bad first book
>>
>>8047126
This is bullshit. If thats the worst whats the best?
>>
>>8047138
Ignore him, he's a known memer.
>>
>>8047143

What do I think about him?
>>
>>8047116
Valiant effort, but you can't really fix it - there's several science fiction ones mixed in to begin with, and the OP had a strange definition of "modern".
>>
>>8047138
In fantasy or in general? The general best of list is of course much larger, but in sff Wizard Knight, Book of the Short Sun, Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, Lord of Light, Amber Chronicle, Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldrich, A Scanner Darkly.... Lots of great stuff.
>>
>>8047059
I've only read the first and I've heard it gets better, but a few things:

Garrett (Was that the guy's name? It was a while ago) reads like an edgy 13 year old's OC. "Oh, he's a jerk, but he's actually kind of nice! Really! See? He likes kids! Only nice guys like kids!"
90 percent of the book was walking and waiting, of the other 10 percent, 90 percent of that was 'calm before the storm' descriptions.
The 'male god controlling the female god' thing struck me as very odd for some reason
The characters never feel like they do anything. I feel like the book would have ended the same way if not a single member of the black company was present through any of it.
There was tons of telling, not showing in regards to how badass characters were. Especially with the company itself, it never does a good job of showing how badass they are, especially when their first major action is killing a bunch of sleeping guards so they can run away.
I feel like nothing is ever given a reason for happening. It all feels very disjointed, like "well, I guess I've had them doing nothing for long enough. Let's toss a conflict in."
This was especially bad with the kid, who I frequently forgot even existed despite her apparently being so important to humanity or whatever.
>>
>>8047148
Lmao. Come on guys. There's a lot of fantasy and soem of us read non fiction usually, so I just want good recommendations. I enjoy The Blade Itself and your opinion is not going to change, its just that I'd like to know how it is compared to other things and if I maybe should explore other fantasy as well.
>>
>>8047053
>what's wrong with pullman trilogy
The entire third novel, that's what's wrong.
>>
Rank Philip K Dicks novels in order of goodness (the ones you've read)!
>>
>>8047187
The Man in the High Castle
DADOES
I guess that's it.
>>
>>8047149
Well of course it's a supreme meme, but I did the best I could.
I should probably make a patrician sff list one of these days, but I haven't read a lot of the acclaimed authors since I deeply delve into body of works of authors I love.
>>8047143
It's complete trash from just about every standpoint I can think of.
Calling me a memer won't change that.
>>8047174
It had prose that was outright offensive. He doesn't write god fucking damned descriptions.
Hilaire fucking Belloc created a more imaginative fantasy world in his non fiction about the upcoming holocaust.
The characters were 1/3 unbearable, 1/3 edgy but entertaining and 1/3 about as bland as a soup without salt.
The plot was slow and half of it could have been edited out. Better authors tell 3 stories with more depth and complexity than he did in 500 or so pages.
>>
>>8047187
A Scanner Darkly
Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldrich
Man in the High Castle
Valis
Minority Report
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
Galactic Pot Healer

I'm probably forgetting at least one.
>>
>>8047204
Ubik?
>>
>>8047174
What did you like about The Blade Itself?
>>
>>8047212

yes i liked it
>>
>>8047187
I've lost track of what I've read now @_@

Scanner
Martian Time Slip
Androids
Flow My Tears
Ganymede
Ubik
High Castle

I think I've read quite a few more though
>>
>>8047206
Yup.
You got it.
Ubik, I don't know how I'd forgotten it, rates one below Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldrich.

The thing about Dick is that the more of him you read the duller he becomes because his style and themes always bring the same experience, with the exception of A Scanner Darkly which is his only novel I'd rank as 'proper literature' because it's incredibly personal and tragic.
>>
>>8047223
I'm asking for specifics you illiterate mook
>>
>>8047232

yeah and i said i liked it
whats your problem
>>
>>8047234
The sentence 'what did you like about it' already confirmed you liked it.
Bait, bad English or just, as he put it, illiterate mook.
>>
>>8047242

no need to be mean and rude, god
>>
>>8047234
Fuck off, retard
>>
File: file.png (61 KB, 655x745) Image search: [Google]
file.png
61 KB, 655x745
Just to confirm; was A Scanner Darkly actually written like this (the spaces) or did I get a bad copy?
>>
Has anyone read this? I can't stand anything else by KSR but I read this one twice. There's a beautiful reincarnation story with one character that's always a little too passionate and another that wants to help but is a little too passive, and the curve of history that puts the Chinese and Muslims exactly where we are was pretty cool. Although looking back it really was exactly where we are, the later chapters started to get a little contrived and the part where Communists still take over China I would like to rip out of the book.
>>
>>8047253
I consume Dick purely through audiobooks since after my first, Dadoas
>>
File: 1463289379733.jpg (29 KB, 457x720) Image search: [Google]
1463289379733.jpg
29 KB, 457x720
>>8047260
>I consume Dick
>>
>>8047260
>I consume Dick purely

I see. Tell me more.
Do you like it?
>>
>>8047253
My SF Masterworks edition is printed normally
>>
>>8047187
I've only read We Can Build You and didn't much like it desu - halfway through he just forgets about the whole simulacra story (which I liked) and concentrates on the romance between two schizophrenics.
>>
>>8047262
Well yes, I've read more of his novels than most other authors, Wolfe and Dostoevsky are the only ones above him.
He's extremely entertaining and often has some very keen observations and writes rollercoasters of drug fueled insanity, which makes riding him a unique experience.
I don't think I'll be touching him for a while now, was thinking of Flow my Tears some time in relative future.
>>
>>8047282
>I don't think I'll be touching him for a while now

Oh, did he break up with you?
>>
>>8047284
No one ever was in the position to do so :'(
>>
>>8047110
Everyone is an asshole. One asshole is more interesting.
>>
>>8047303
Akka a good boy
>>
File: Not reading.jpg (38 KB, 408x510) Image search: [Google]
Not reading.jpg
38 KB, 408x510
>>8047159
>>
>>8047159
Garret was a detective in Glen cook's other series. You're probably thinking of raven. Thanks for the response. I actually enjoyed the books precisely because the characters didn't seem to do anything. I grew to like the personalities of the characters and enjoyed their struggles. Not to seem too edgy, but the pointlessness of their actions made the world and characters seem more real.
>>
>>8047226
That is what goodreads is for. It's a book catalog desu.
>>
>>8047159
>not liking Goblin doing a wide frog grin
You're a redshitor aren't you?
>>
File: sycla_map_10yr_color_ebook.jpg (526 KB, 1640x2438) Image search: [Google]
sycla_map_10yr_color_ebook.jpg
526 KB, 1640x2438
>log onto 4chan
>open up thread
>all these people hating skub
>all these people bashing on skub
>there are people in this thread RIGHT NOW who haven't read skub
Wow, /lit/, WOW.
>>
>>8046986
I see my chart has become a meme..... and you're calling it bait. Just because you like something doesn't mean others like it too looking at "improved" anon. I'm just posting the list for people that are like me.

I've been here since the first thread, and a lot of people thanked me for the recommendations I gave... just thought I would make a list.

Can you guys stop trying to make one of the few good threads on lit into shitposting about books people would regret reading?

I'm not saying my books are a must, I gave a recommendation and expect you to see the blurb and if you like it. Unlike the Conon and Gray Mouser posters who behave like their books is tbe answer to everything, and you MUST read them, and when you're done and want more? Read it again.
>>
>>8047513
Wtf is skub? And how do you log onto 4chens? Are you a Gold Member?
>>
>>8047187
The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
VALIS
The Man in the High Castle
A Scanner Darkly
The Divine Invasion
Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said
Ubik
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Lies, Inc.
>>
>>8047513
>Skubfuckers on my board
You're what's wrong with not only /lit/, but society at large. I bet you write twilight fan fiction when you're not busy going to skub conventions to buttfuck hairy autists like yourself.
>>
About to start The Fifth Season. What do I have in store?
>>
>>8046540
>Favourite Chesterton novel
Manalive
>What do you like about it
It's the novel most about Chesterton's worldview and life philosophy, of the 14 books of his I've read
>Why is he the only happy surrealist?
It's harder to imbue your work with happiness than sadness, it takes a great author like Chesterton to really pull that off.
>>
>>8046687
It's bad. The problem isn't so much that none of the characters are likable, as it is that they tend to be idiots in service of advancing a terrible plot.
>>
>>8046912
Are you under the mistaken impression that this is a lot of sub-thousand ratings, or do you think that the collection of books in this image will be useful to anyone in some way?
>>
>>8047689
Someone asked in the last thread for a list of that anon's ratings of things that had <1k ratings, and that anon is being accommodating. I don't think there was any showing off or anything.
>>
Are there any "booktubers" who read a lot of sci-fi and/or fantasy that you guys DO like?
>>
>>8047749
>board full of recluses that discuss, critique, beg all anonymously
>"is there anyone who broadcasts their face and voice and preferences and possibly real birth-certificate name to the entire world that you like?"
>>
>>8047767
That's ridiculous. I mean, shit, do you hate all the SFF characters who aren't introverts?
>>
>>8047783
>not hating all SFF characters regardless
>>
>>8047783
I would say most people here do hate all characters that aren't their personal mary sue.
>>
So I sort of described Dune to my girlfriend and now she says she's a sandworm.
1. Spicy smell and taste during period
2. Swallows everything
3. Fun to ride
She's just NOT dry as fuck :^)

>>8047125
Yeah, it does get better and better. It's pretty epic (not ebin, but actually epic, the real definition). A group of diverse and seemingly more or less ordinary people go on a journey facing peril in order to save the world and defeat a great, evil enemy. What I liked is that it avoids some very common tropes and manages to remain interesting and basically follow the ordinary fantasy formula.

>>8047187
The Cosmic Puppets
A Scanner Darkly
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
VALIS
>>
>>8046761
>the way everybody is sooo emotional is also shit. It's simply too much, no matter how good the writing is.

You must hate actual literature.
>>
Man, I think an Amber series TV show could be good if they didn't take too many liberties with the story, but I'm basically 100% sure they'd either try to make it edgier or go the opposite direction and try to make it family friendly, and I feel like it strikes a good balance just the way it is.
>>
>>8048174
You would have had to have made it in the 70s.

I wish they would have actually made Lord of Light, and maybe those embassy personnel would have just had to wait in a prison another couple years.
>>
>>8048197
>You would have had to have made it in the 70s.
Why? It's not like the part that takes place in our world couldn't just take place in our 1970s.

I'm just imagining the opening scene with an amnesiac in a hospital gown terrorizing the hospital and demanding a cab. It'd go over really well with modern TV audiences.
>>
>>8048209
What I'm talking about is this strange attitude that everyone in Zelazny has, the things they take seriously, the things they laugh off, nothing I can pinpoint.

Sure, we can put a titlecard saying "1970," but it won't let us actually have young actors with 70s mindsets. Look at the newer X-Men movies, for one example. All drab-clad Millennials acting way too seriously for the time period, but one of them's wearing a wide-lapelled suit so we know it's a period piece.
>>
>>8048234
You'd just need the right actors. I mean, look at things like Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire.
>>
About to start The Lies of Locke Lamora. Should I know anything going in? There's no attached reading like Sanderson or anything is there?
>>
>>8048246
it's shit
>>
>>8048239
Not familiar with those, but if you could make everyone... sassy, maybe you could pull off Amber.

Man, everything about Nine Princes. The amnesiac that's more savvy than he knows, the dimensional road trip, walking a labyrinth pattern in mermaid land, then we've got naval battles and swordfights and it just gets crazier.

Stop getting me excited.
>>
>>8048197
Unfortunately they could never make a Lord of Light movie, owing to political correctness (concerns about "culture appropriation" etc.)
>>
>>8048246
If you've read Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser you'll enjoy it more. The author was clearly partly inspired by the series, and there are lots of little moments that you'll recognize as nods to it.

That said, it stands well on its own too.
>>
>>8048250
YOU"RE SHIT
>>
>>8048252
Not now, no. And they'd get even more angry when they find out that Brahma is both an antagonist and FtM.
>>
>>8048250
What fantasy do you like?
>>8048251
They're critically-acclaimed TV shows set in the 1950s and 1920s respectively. You'd just need actors who are willing and able to have fun. Who would you cast as Carl/Corwin?
>>
>>8048262
I don't know TV actors. Who would you pick?
>>
>>8048264
I think if it was a big budget show like HBO or something, you could get movie actors.

That said, I don't actually know. Shia LaBeouf?
>>
I hear a lot about Leiber here, but why does no no one talk about L. Sprague de Camp? His Harold Shea stories (Compleat Enchanter) are fairly enjoyable pulp.
>>
Is the Chronicles of Amber good?
>>
>>8048291
He's on my list; I'm just currently reading Leiber's stuff. After that, I'll probably move on to de Camp or Howard.

If you've read the Lankhmar books, by the way, any tips on whether I should stop at book 7 or try to squeeze that last little bit out of the characters by reading Swords Against the Shadowland, which is by a different author with whom Leiber had intended to co-write it before he passed away?
>>
>>8048302
Yes, very.
>>
When I was a kid, I read part of a fantasy series about some children who learned magic. It wasn't Harry Potter. I don't remember if the books were aimed at children or if I just read a grown-up book, as I occasionally did.

All I really remember about it is one vivid scene where they used magic to become whales, and the author described the character's fingers feeling bound together like with a net, as were her legs, as she transformed.

I think maybe the ocean itself was a source of magic, or somehow related?

I only just remembered that I read this, and now it's haunting me.
>>
>>8048291
Haven't made it to him, is all. I remember seeing his name in the Golden Age SF short story anthologies I read as a kid. Living Fossils, The Gnarly Man, a couple of others probably, I had a lot of fun with them.
>>
>>8048320
Who Wants To Be A Wizard? I dropped it after the first book ripped off Madeleine L'Engle, but that sounds like something in that series.

It also sounds like Animorphs but you'd have remembered that.
>>
>>8048337
Found it just as you posted. Yeah, it's part of the Young Wizards series, which starts with a book called So You Want to Be a Wizard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Wizards

It's the second one, apparently.
>>
File: PRoseLogo.png (38 KB, 955x480) Image search: [Google]
PRoseLogo.png
38 KB, 955x480
I've got to laugh at the prose dinosaurs in this thread. Literature as you know it is dead.

With the advent of movies , television shows and youtube videos there is no need for the archaic used of prose i.e. use of words in a non visual and auditory medium to eloquently express what someone might be sensing with touch, scent, sight taste and hearing, all contained within the confines of pages. These pages can then be transported across vast distances where the experience can be duplicated multiple times the exact way the source wished it to be. Something that the spoken word could not do properly, hence why it was phased out by writing... well it's writing's turn to be phased out.

It still beats the spoken word by a long shot, but dense wordplay, with a plethora of entendres, puns and metaphors is not needed in this day and age.
>>
>>8048364
Why didn't you make a video of yourself saying this instead of typing it?
>>
>Find the most important words a man can say
?
>>
>>8048377
>the most important words a man can say
"Sorry, guys. You may want to crack a window."
>>
>>8047819
Hi dfw poster, I think you are lost. This isn't an Infinite Jest thread.
>>
>>8048364
How long did you spend writing this troll? I liked that little "prose/rose" graphic. Very cute.
>>
I've been building a world for a story that took form out of my day dream fantasies and nights spent with my imagination centered around heroic chariot racers from across the known world and their adventures leading to a grand championship tournament held at the worlds most prestigious Hippodrome.

One of my great passions in life is studying the Greek mythological canon, so naturally it was going to form the basis for this world. As I've been thinking up facsimile versions of Greek concepts though, I've come to the realization that it might actually be way more interesting if I forgo trying to make some knock off of mythology and set this story within the actual Greek canon as I know it.

What do you think would be the more satisfying path to take? Inserting my own original characters within an already established world, or trying to build my own from scratch?
>>
>>8048408
On a tablet so it took me 5 minutes. And it's not a troll.
>>
>>8048443
Please answer this:
>>8048369
>>
>>8048432
Depends on how interesting your diverged world is. And how much you like Mary Renault.

An actual all-Greek planet would be really cool, though. The world as they thought it would be, maybe after they've colonized it, so Athens and Sparta are feuding over tens of thousands of square miles of territory, all the continents are a different shape, the Greeks control their lands with horse power, lets you do the thing where there's a rich kid that just likes racing and an ex-military guy and they're frenemies, that sort of thing.

Yeah, write it, anon.
>>
>>8048443
Does your tablet have a camera on it?
>>
File: greeks.jpg (114 KB, 2048x834) Image search: [Google]
greeks.jpg
114 KB, 2048x834
>>8048452
>all-Greek planet
>cool
>>
File: greeksparthenon.jpg (182 KB, 1648x355) Image search: [Google]
greeksparthenon.jpg
182 KB, 1648x355
>>8048463
>
>
>>
>>8048463
Did I say modern Greek? I'm trying to find where I implied that.
>>
>>8048320
>All I really remember about it is one vivid scene where they used magic to become whales, and the author described the character's fingers feeling bound together like with a net, as were her legs, as she transformed.
did she have some hot whale sex before turning back

>>8048302
first 5 books are mediocre the last 5 books are trash
>>
>>8048468
I'm trying to figure out what's worse, Byzaboos or Greekaboos? The Greeks failed at everything pertaining to ruling other peoples, all they managed to do was either alienate or be ruled by their differently cultured subjects. I don't know how you think it's possible they'd have their own planet.
>>
>>8048501
>The Greeks failed at everything pertaining to ruling other peoples, all they managed to do was either alienate or be ruled by their differently cultured subjects.

lolwhat

they ruled pre-romans and past romans (as byzanthians), and then, one of the biggest conquerors in the hystory was a greek, it was alexander the great

though the early greeks weren't very good at making empires
>>
>>8048501
I don't. I like their aesthetics. This is fantasy.
>>
>>8047187
Time Out of Joint

I failed to appreciate it.
>>
>>8048451
Is 4chens a video and audio site? Only gif and wsg always videos with sound. Also I'm an unsightly reprobate of a man. Not showing my face here.
>>
>>8048641
Oh, I'm sure it would have more eloquently expressed your thoughts.
>>
>>8047536
>Can you guys stop trying to make one of the few good threads on lit into shitposting about books people would regret reading?
Where do you think you are? Also stop being a hypocrite.
>>
File: map-pontus-03.jpg (100 KB, 720x616) Image search: [Google]
map-pontus-03.jpg
100 KB, 720x616
>>8048452
The way I'm envisioning the world for this story has it set within the framework of the Heroic Age of the Greek canon, the era spanning around 6 generations defined by the battles between the heroes of Olympus and the scions of the Titans for dominance over the moral realm. The early era of the Heroic Age is the era of monster slaying heroes like Perseus and Herakles who came into the world when it was wild and untamed, plagued by savage ancient tribes, barbarian Kings and primordial beasts that laid waste to all of humanities attempts to form higher ordered civilizations, who slew these evils and secured the world for the advent of the Olympic Order, The Heroic Age transitions from the era of legendary city founding heroes who lay the foundations for Greek civilization into an era where nearly all of the great monsters of the old world have been slain and rather than seeing a single great hero overcoming an ancient evil in the world, we see heroes arise that lead the armies of Greek civilization in campaigns of conquest in distant lands.

My intention was to set this story in the middle of this transitional period and create within the world a Western/Eastern world dichotomy between the Greek states and Anatolia with a mythic ruler representing them, Representing the Olympic order of the West is the well tested and venerable Warrior King Theseus who was in his youth the last great hero of the monster slaying order who drove the last of the scions of ancient Titanic order from mainland Greece, established the political unification of Attica, constructed the Acropolis of Athens and uplifted Greek civilization to higher ordered ideals. In the East ruling from the ancient and decadent city of Colchis is the Witch Queen Medea, who was long ago foiled by the young Theseus in her attempt to seize authority over Athens and driven from the lands of the emerging Olympic Order. These Kingdoms each respectively act as a proxy for the Olympic and Titanic Gods in their eternal battle against one another.

The tournament that my heroic chariot racers are being drawn to will act as a microcosm of this cosmic conflict. It will be held in a fictional Hippodrome in Troy, which is itself the barrier in the middle of these two lands is imbued with elements of both civilizations, keeping ancient traditions and at the same time adopting higher ordered Olympian ways. All of the chariot racers will be heroic representatives of their land and will embody different aspects of Olympian or Titanic ideals respectively. We'll see the noble and stoic champion of Athens in a golden chariot pulled by white horses racing as the defender of form and order within civilization against the savage Amazon Warrior Queen as the champion of barbarism and the untamed ancient world, the elegant Trojan Prince and admired paramour racing against the rowdy, devil may care Spartan Prince, and so on.
>>
>>8048641
post your face faggot.
>>
File: For you.jpg (23 KB, 300x280) Image search: [Google]
For you.jpg
23 KB, 300x280
>>8048700
Fine
>>
>>8047947
I guess my girlfriend is also like those sandworms.

She isn't real
>>
>>8048262
all fantasy a shit, but i would better read thraxas or garret files than locke lamora
>>
File: twok_ephemera-1_codes-webres.jpg (399 KB, 790x1200) Image search: [Google]
twok_ephemera-1_codes-webres.jpg
399 KB, 790x1200
>playing game
>lightning is called down every time I attack
>shit lightning everywhere
>makes me want to read SA because I want to control the storm
Fuck me
>>
>Suspended by chains over a seemingly bottomless abyss, the ancient city of Deepgate is home to a young angel, an assassin, and a psychotic murderer hungry for revenge—or redemption. But soon a shocking betrayal will unite all three in a desperate quest....
I'm a sucker for unique worldbuilding, but is this really that good?
>>
Go to /got/ you manchildren
>>
>>8048770
>sandersonfags are also vidyafags
makes sense desu
>>
I'm writing a fantasy novel, how should I deal with romance and/or sex scenes?
Should I just deflect everything, "They woke up naked" or something? I've never had sex so I don't know what the process is like.
>>
>>8049076
Try not writing about sex or pay for a hooker
>>
>>8049089

I need sex and sexual innuendo because the female currently is a manipulating devil who uses her looks and vagina to further her goals and ambitions
>>
>>8049092
>>/r9k/
>>
>>8049092
Write what you know. I.e. don't write that.
>>
>>8049076
>I've never had sex so I don't know what the process is like.
pinus into vagoo
>>
>>8049076
You've never had sensual romantic fantasies before anon? That's the only frame of reference you need.
>>
>>8049106

No, and I fear my perspective has been tainted by movies that are not true to life, I found out recently that women, when waking up or after sex, don't cover their breasts in the presence of the male they had sex with, yet in the movies they do, so my perspective on what happens before, during and after is flawed and not true to life.
>>
Man despite how much people shit on GoT, nothing is quite as satisfying as it. The ending to the latest TV episode was just incredible and got me all pumped up.
>>
>>8049109
Stop thinking in generalities to begin with. You're trying to see a logical system within an aspect of the human experience that is inherently irrational.
>>
>>8049109
>no Oxford comma
Can't help you buddy, you're too far gone.
>>
>>8049109
GRRM writes good sex scenes.
Just replicate a little bit of his
>>
>>8049129
Wanking to the jon redhead cave pussy eatings is one of the best high school wanks I've ever had.
>>
>>8049142
I wouldn't know, was just joking about ASOIAF.
Read only 200 pages or so and dropped it.
>>
>>8049142
brit?
>>
File: TheUrthOfTheNewSun(1stEd).jpg (26 KB, 220x348) Image search: [Google]
TheUrthOfTheNewSun(1stEd).jpg
26 KB, 220x348
Woah. This was amazing. Hell it made me understand the Book of the New Sun a lot better as well.
>>
>>8049076
Don't lose track of the reason you've added them or the circumstances. If the point of the scene is to affirm the relationship of two characters then write it in a way that would reflect that (e.g. they're comfortable together, maybe even routine, they know what makes each other get off). GRRM gets shit on for the "fat pink mast" scene, but it's written from the perspective of a fat virgin with self-esteem issues and it shows wonderfully.
Also don't be afraid to just cut to black.
>>
>>8049157
The you know nothing Socrates gal
>>8049153
You didn't miss anything. It's a pretty bad scene, redundant to everything, but sexy to high schoolers.
>>
File: 22860215.jpg (137 KB, 298x475) Image search: [Google]
22860215.jpg
137 KB, 298x475
Has anyone else read this? I have never read something with so many plot twists in it.
>>
Have you focused your alar yet today /lit/
>>
>>8049278
I focused my virginity necbeard self insert powers to live the life of a goddess fucking cuck
>>
Waiting for new books in series is fucking torture
WRITE FASTER FUCKING DAMN IT
>>
>>8049335
I don't have this problem. There is so much other stuff to read, I don't really care how slow someone writes
>>
>>8049335
>reading unfinished multi volume series for any reason ever
>>
>>8048668
Aka Percy Jackson for adults.
>>
>>8048965
Nice statement, I guess it applies to all of us.
Even though I for one don't play games.
>>
>>8048965
I hate video games, I have never finished a single one except pokemon.
>>
>>8048789
>why aren't my Philosophy and trump threads as successful as sffg
>>
>>8049203 see >>8046986
>>
>>8049203 see >>8046996
>>
>>8049404 see >>8049397
>>
>>8046734
Grunts by Mary Gentle
>>
Any fantasy series with little girl villains?
>>
>>8049365
>for adults
lad...

>>8049466
Get out you pedo fuck.
>>
>>8046734
I sort of like Koko Takes a Holiday.

And if you want really schlocky, Gestapo Mars isn't the worst thing I've ever read. Both have sex, though it's not as frequent or detailed in Koko, which is odd since she owns a brothel in the beginning.
>>
>>8048252
soon enough this retardation will end, and we can appropriate whatever we want. The reactionary force is strong. Or disguise yourself, like Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's, for interviews, or that white Black rights activist woman who they hate for doing a lot for the black cause ... in blackface.
>>
Anyone reading Joe Ledger novels by Jonathan Maberry?

I've just been reading one about Joe vs the Upierczi and it has some good fun sequences with the Holy Inqusition.
>>
>>8049876
John Wayne as Genghis Khan. Fuck yeah.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAAp_luluo0
>>
>>8049404
It's sad that you don't have a life, and that your day comprises of looking to see if any mention is made towards a chart so you can post about.

That is a shell of an existence anon.
>>
>>8049203
It only had like 3 twists that really mattered

Him being dead the whole time was pretty good
>>
>>8049664
>lad...
So you are saying you will try to cash in on the YA craze?

>>8050129
>being this slow
A General was themed off this battle
>>
>>8050170
>A General was themed off this battle
wut?
>>
>>8050177
A short while ago one of the /sffg/ threads had that in the OP and there was a lot of discussion about it.
>>
File: Taylor Mazer2.jpg (567 KB, 1240x1240) Image search: [Google]
Taylor Mazer2.jpg
567 KB, 1240x1240
I don't mean to shit-post but could anyone link me to a neat little zip of the full ASOIAF series so far in .epub?

Would really help, thanks in advance.
>>
>>8050230
It isn't even an obscure series, the fuck? Use google or any tracker.
>>
File: Taylor Mazer3.jpg (520 KB, 1240x1240) Image search: [Google]
Taylor Mazer3.jpg
520 KB, 1240x1240
>>8050234
I'm literally a retard with this stuff, b-but I'll try,
>>
>>8050254
1. Go to Google.
2. Type this: "book title" filetype:epub*
3. ???
4. PROFIT

*or mobi, or whatever
>>
File: Stats.png (28 KB, 375x520) Image search: [Google]
Stats.png
28 KB, 375x520
Posted this sometime last year in outer lit. Don't know if anyone stole it yet, so I'm posting it again.
Took lazy to write, and I don't live in Klapistan, so getting published might be a problem, but one of you anons might be able to make it work(don't fuck it up) and gain some dosh while doing it.

>the Idea
Guy walks into some store in the most racist place in the USA.
He is black(it will really fuck with people's mind), somebody gives him some racist slur or some shit, and he shoots them.

People in store also has guns, they gun him down, he gets up and kills them all, even the children.
Police arrive, they gun him down, he gets back up kills them all.

Later he approaches the on scene TV Crew and makes an announcement on a Live Broadcast, telling everyone that anyone one insulting or attempting harm on his person will be executed.

The reporter says something along the lines of "What gives you the right to kill people, who he thinks insulted him?"

He shows a perfect 3d holographic image, that has strange characters/images. He then goes to explain that he has the "right" to do as he because because he is now the ruler of this solar system.

He says the image shown is the Deed of the Solar system and he just bought it off the being we called God, then goes to list other deities that are found throughout other faiths and through the ages, explaining they are one and the same being trying different ways of rule.

He says unlike our former creator, he likes to take a personal interest in his work.

After other forms of law enforcement and military fail at killing him, a tremor goes through the world as they try to reassess their life and their place in it.

Story follows the new god, has lost of heavy mysticism, magic/energy that defies the laws of physics and advance technology that we can't even comprehend, even when we are sat down and it's explained in depth.
>>
>>8050272
No offense senpai but it sounds terrible. No ones gonna make "dosh" with anything like this.
>>
>>8050281
>he said while furiously making a manuscript based on this idea
>>
>>8050296
Why would he lie when the guy posted it specifically so someone else could write it.

It might not be an awful short story, though it's incredibly shallow. The way the idea is written makes it sound like pure race bait or wish fulfillment. The 'moral' of the story would be based entirely on strawman arguments. The only way I can see it working would be as a comedy series where that happens in the background like Earth getting demolished in hitchhiker's guide, but if the new 'god' is the main character, it just sounds so fucking terrible.
>>
>>8050272
>most racist place in the USA.
>it's blacks they're racist against
>>
>>8050326
That would imply a heavily Hispanic neighborhood, actually.
>>
The thing about New Sun being apparently set in the far future yet Severian narrating it like it is medieval times is really blowing my mind, though with the vocab Wolfe uses I miss out on stuff he is referencing, I think (doesn't help that English isn't my native language).

>I bestrode a great, leather-winged being under a lowering sky. Just equipoised between the rack of cloud and a twilit land we slid down a hill of air. Hardly once, it seemed to me, the finger-winged soarer flapped her long pinions.

It's probably very obvious but I've no idea what vehicle he's talking about here. Some kind of plane?

And unrelated but I'd really like to see a movie of it, even though it would be almost certainly awful lol
>>
>>8050375
I think it is actually a creature, not a flier or something else
>>
>>8050170
I wasn't the guy with the idea, I was expressing astonishment and wonder that anybody could conceive of that as being produced for adults.
>>
>>8050425
You're right, after reading a bit more past that part it seems like some big bird. I was trying too hard to look at the book through scifi-lenses so I automatically ruled out something like that, I guess. I wonder if these fantastical creatures only appear in his dreams or if they will later appear in the plot line as well.
>>
>>8050447
I mean you can still look at it through a scifi lens. Perhaps it's a genetically engineered animal? Or maybe a creature from a different galaxy? Take Baldanders for example, why do you think he is the way he is?
>>
File: Skulltopus_Black_Web.jpg (148 KB, 625x750) Image search: [Google]
Skulltopus_Black_Web.jpg
148 KB, 625x750
Are any of the non-Lovecraft Cthulhu Mythos books good? There's loads of them in my library, titles like Madness of Cthulhu, Black Wings of Cthulhu, Shadows Over Innsmouth, etc. I know the Derleth stuff is kind of subpar, but these are pretty recent.
>>
>>8050554
Hmm, I guess so. I have no speculations for Baldanders origins as of yet, if there were any hints I must have missed them. But I'm sure this chapter isn't the last I will hear of him and his travel companion.

On a side note, man do I read slow lol. Looked at the clock and 35 pages in a bit over an hour. I guess it's no big deal since this is quite a bit denser than the average book and I reread passages all the time.
>>
>>8050632
Baldanders is a regular human who decided to experiment on himself and is becoming what Erebus and Abia already are.
40 pages per hour is normal for a novel mate.
>>
http://www.wetasphalt.com/?q=content/how-write-book-three-days-lessons-michael-moorcock

Hear that, Rothfuss? Three. Days.

Moorcock was a god
>>
>>8050821
He was a shitty pulp writer and you only like him because he's dead. No better than Rothfuss.
>>
>>8050662
didnt have to spoil it for him senpai, the chapter with the dream is still early on
>>
>>8050821
The only reason you Dinosaurs like him is because he is forming fossil fuel atm.
>>
>>8050826
>>8050879
>mfw Mike More-cock isn't dead
stupid samefag
>>
>>8050826
He's alive and he's better in every respect even as a pulp writer
>>
>>8050903
>>8050906
Are you saying he didn't write a better than Eric novel in 40 years? Since that's the only one I hear of him.

Definitely worse than Rothfuss.
>>
>>8050920
I didn't read after that.
Writing one mediocre series is better by writing only absolute garbage.
>>
>>8050920
Gloriana, Dancers at the End of Time, Jerry Cornelius, even Behold the Man is better than "Eric". Those are some of his most generic sword-and-sorcery.
>>
>>8050272
That sounds extremely terrible. It's like a quasi edgy version of Day The Earth Stood Still and the general idea lacks a point. What going to happen? Is the new God who looks like some black guy going to wander around and be unsuccessfully attacked by various people while explaining how God is just high science and we're just fools or something?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.