[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Elliot's writing style was really good, regardless of t
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22
File: rareelliot.jpg (155 KB, 1000x665) Image search: [Google]
rareelliot.jpg
155 KB, 1000x665
Elliot's writing style was really good, regardless of the content itself it's clear no one (or very few people) here could write something as good as this.

I found only 3 typos in the whole thing. and his grammar is pretty much flawless.

http://abclocal.go.com/three/kabc/kabc/My-Twisted-World.pdf
>>
Here had ability desu, but the writing itself is p banal.
>>
>Good writing is no typos and coherent grammar
Wew lad
>>
>>7783994
Photos of Elliot smiling make me feel bad.
>>
I thought the style was shit to be honest. I found it annoyingly pretentious and, though the concept is great, he was much to immature to pull it off. Obviously it's easy to draw conclusions about the writer now since we know what type of person he ended up being but without that I think it still would of been clear that he had such a ego-centered worldview he could never write something groundbreaking intelligent because he cannot see his own work from the reader's pov. It reminded me of Mister B Gone by Clive Barker, it spends so much wasted time trying to convince you to burn the book but all it achieves is to disconnect you from the story, the exact opposite emotion of what those moments where meant to achieve. Elliot's constant attempts at foreshadowing his plans created the same effect. It tries to be chilling, but it just sounds really try-hard to me. I don't think he ever truly grasps, or at least was not able to convey it through literature, what a regular person would feel as they read this, knowing what he does in the end.

If he'd given it another 10-15 years, abandoned his stupid self-pity and decided to write this as a villain's story, he might of given Thomas Harris a run for his money.
>>
>>7783994
Wow. That was worse than expected.
>>
>>7784027
>Good rebuttals are memes
desu famalam
>>
>>7783994
He can't think, he can't write.
>>
>>7783994

this is not /lit/
get a better hobby already
>>
File: 1456434122915.png (618 KB, 474x619) Image search: [Google]
1456434122915.png
618 KB, 474x619
>>7784265
you're not /lit/
>>
>>7783994
he looks like he just stealth farted and is waiting for you to smell it to be honest malaysia
>>
>>7784233

>He wrote a 137 page manuscript. That's probably more than you ever have.
>>
Please leave, /r9k/.
>>
>>7784069
>might of given
opinion discarded
>>
I'd have dated him in a heartbeat. Poor lonely fucker.
>>
>>7784366

This place is far more robotic than /r9k/ why would they leave?
>>
edlliot rodger is the only millenial author worth discussing, like it or not, he's the voice or a generation, which is why he gets so much hate from wannabe writers, the crazy part is he wrote this so young with almost no college level education, can u imagine if he had lived and went on to get an mfa n shit? he would be pro as fuck
>>
File: robotuprising.png (28 KB, 327x482) Image search: [Google]
robotuprising.png
28 KB, 327x482
>>7784366

We're not going anywhere
>>
not literature-related
>>
File: 1456359292869.png (66 KB, 323x382) Image search: [Google]
1456359292869.png
66 KB, 323x382
>influx of elliot rodgers thread

What the fuck is going on? Is it the anniversary of his death?
>>
>>7784453
/r9k/ is doing a raid of /lit/ because their board isn't fucking cringeworthy enough.
>>
>>7783994
What the fuck? He couldn't write for shit
>>
I honestly can't tell if this is a joke or not.
>>
anyone who hates on My Twisted World either didn't read it or has no taste, it's great
>>
Hey, hey, r9k!
Who did you redpill today?
When will you become a wizard?
Fight the fem-luminati lizards!
>>
>>7784393

>expressed the opinions of me and several of my bitter circlejerk buddies
>noticed by nobody until gaining notoriety and massively discrediting all his own silly opinions by committing a horrible crime in the name of them
>'voice of a generation'
>>
ESL student here,sorry but don't know where else to ask.

My teacher said that "Next morning, ---" is grammatically incorrect, because it should say "The next morning, ----"

I have seen many people start sentences with "next morning, ", so I would consider it an idiom that doesn't need to be corrected, right?. Can anyone here give me an opinion? sorry for off-topic.
>>
>>7784462

A raid is something that lasts a few hours. This is an uprising, my friend.
>>
>>7784528

It is indeed grammatically incorrect, but no one will notice, 'next morning' is a common expression.
>>
>>7784069
I agree with you here up to the end where you say
>If he'd given it another 10-15 years, abandoned his stupid self-pity and decided to write this as a villain's story, he might of given Thomas Harris a run for his money

If this happened it would fundamentally defeat the purpose and popularity of the book. We read this because it is the look into the mind of a "villain" from the villain's point of view. If Elliot found romantic success or just peacefully gave up and never went on a shooting spree, the book would be meaningless.
>>
>>7784528
This falls into the category of things that are nominally 'incorrect' but everyone inside and outside academia accepts, save grammar teachers. If you were to say 'next morning' in a book or essay, nobody would care at all.
I had high-school teachers make absurd rules surrounding things like these; one guy claimed you shouldn't say "hopefully" as in
>Hopefully, this will work
And it should only be used like
>"This will work" he said hopefully

In the 'real world' pedantry on this level is meaningless.
>>
>>7784545
i think he should have transitioned to sissy slut and got gangbang bukkaked by studs, them sjw would love it and he would be a tumblr hero
>>
He did nothing wrong
>>
not lit-related
>>
>>7784069
The style really lent itself to his retarded narcissistic angst.

>>7784509
It's not just about his opinions, it's about his evolution. He's a kid so deeply embedded in mass culture that even in his reaction to it he is a slave to it. He's reacting against the free love culture and his failure in it with products of the culture. He's a slave to the market yet can't see his fetters. He can't see himself for the caricature he has become, a grim pastiche of Hollywood and video game characters walking the Earth in human form. A mockery of a human being that is so transparent that he sees right through himself in introspection, finding only others around him to blame for his failings.

Elliot was not a genius but MTW is a work that actually does have a place in the canon of literature. It's genius in its stupidity, it captures the zeitgeist very well. In his rants against women we see not only one man's frustration with that which he cannot understand, we see a generation set at war against itself, where we can communicate across the world but not across the street.
>>
>>7784574
although the possibility of a gay reading of it is part of what makes it such a great and enduring piece of literature, but also it reads well as ethnic lit, but also just bourgeois alienation, i mean the shit hits on every important topic of our age, but plebs with no taste don't get it and that makes me sad, oh well
>>
>>7784509
he never tried to promote it, unlike the countless talentless hacks spamming their shitty "generational" junk all over gentrified cities, rodger was legitimately an undiscovered genius, whose art was only discovered after this tortured existence became unbearable to him, guys like that come around once in a lifetime, if ur lucky
>>
>>7784536
>>7784555

Thanks! I know that it was grammatically incorrect, but I don't think it is something that should be corrected, like many idioms.

I am not really an ESL student, this happened in a methodology class. I spent 5 years in the US so maybe I am more familiar with idioms than my methodology teacher, who is actually a couple years younger than me.
>>
>>7784531
No its a raid.

An uprising is more than two people spamming images.
>>
>>7784592
dude, so much in it is would be considered "brilliant" if it was a totally fictional mini-story in some shitty dfw doorstopper, but it's real which makes it better for honest readers, but worse for ppl who prefer self-delusion...the part with the lottery tickets was rad, the part with the black kid who lost his virginity at 12 or whatever, do u really think it was an accident the kid was named "chance"? the black kid got laid because he spammed women with propositions, while rodger never engaged a woman in a serious conversation in the entire text, there are just so many great parts, and so many great themes, just read it with "death of the author in mind" and image it was an undiscovered dfw manuscript, if it said dfw on the cover instead of elliot rodger u would fuckin swear it's the greatest shit ever...
>>
>>7784611

There are at least 4 of us in an organised group, and at least one I've seen not part of our group.
>>
>>7784605
There's nothing genius about his writing.
>>
>>7784620
It's a raid.
>>
>>7784620
i'm not into r9k i just think elliot rodger is an underrated writer. suppose the stanger was "a true story" would we all have to pretend is sucks? ok, so then let's pretend the day of retribution never happened and enjoy this great text
>>
>>7784623
and u r of course an expert on what is genius writing
>>
it's also a work of staggering authenticity, he wrote it not because he desired "to be a writer" or because it was a requirement to get his master's degree or any of the other reasons bad writers write, he wrote because he had to tell his story
>>
>>7783994
hahahahahahahaha
>>
>>7784366
i am not r9k, i believe gender roles should be thrown in the trash and i absolutely love this hilarious spooky book and think belongs in litcore
its better than dostoevsky thats for sure
>>
His style was mediocre, and I'd be surprised if there's any need for pointing that out on /lit/. But I'll say a bit in case anyone from /r9k/ happens to read this. It is true that he writes better than some first year college students, but that is not a high bar.

I've read a good chunk of his book, and I found the childhood section very poor. Every new paragraph is essentially,

"My father owned a beautiful house out by the beach, surrounded by huge grassy fields, and my little mind was overwhelmed when I first saw how big the ocean was. I cherished every moment that we spent on walks out in the fields or on the beach. These truly were happy times."

He has no gift for description, and certainly none for novelty. Clouds are fluffy, long grasses are "straw-like", etc. But more than that, he's monotonous and shallow. You know what he's going to say about everything; he's never fresh or surprising. He hasn't got two thoughts to rub together. He's a bore.
>>
>>7784683

He was not trying to write a bestseller. He was simply writing a diary.
>>
Passable for his diary desu
>>
>>7784683
>genre fiction and/or creative writing workshop moderator tries to critique genius

lol
>>
>>7783994
disappointing, actually hoped for something insightful or at least twisted but he's a whiny shit
>>
>>7784769
>/r9k/ actually thinks this is good writing
>>
>>7784770
that's exactly what I said about Werther! God, Goethe is such a hack
>>
holy shit this is such a page turner, once u get into it u can just read the whole shit at once, it's like underground man mixed with wether mixed with some angsty dfw bullshit, but written in a plain and unpretentious style that keeps the pages flowing by
>>
>Upon setting up my new laptop, I immediately installed all of my WoW disks. I logged onto my
account and took a look at all of my characters that I ha
dn’t
touched for a year and a half. Right when I
logged onto my main character, I
was contacted by James, and he invited me to join an online group
with him, Steve, and Mark. They all gave me a warm welcome back.
And there I was, stuck in the void of hopelessness once again; in the exact same position as I had
been when I was fou
rteen, fifteen, sixteen and seventeen. For all the efforts I made to improve my life
during my eighteenth year, I had nothing to show for it. No friends, no girls, no
life.

maybe if he struggled with addiction to something hip like heroin instead of videogames ppl would dig it more, but those ppl wud b superficial plebs
>>
>>7784830
holy shit why is the pdf reader in firefox so fucking shitty? oh yeah because the organization is run by a bunch of sjw non-profit apparachiks that don't care about making a product that isn't shit, if only chrome wasnt zionist spyware...fuck.
>>
also, u can't help but think about how is mother being a whore to rich hollywood men redpilled him, at least subconsciously
>>
File: 1456953523012.png (13 KB, 528x424) Image search: [Google]
1456953523012.png
13 KB, 528x424
>>7784366
No u
>>
File: 1455962607691.jpg (120 KB, 800x481) Image search: [Google]
1455962607691.jpg
120 KB, 800x481
>>7784382
You should date me.
I have a BMW and a garage full of books

Pls be my gf
>>
>>7784972
papa jews is the only pizza joint open on christmas, nuff said
>>
not /lit/
mods
reporters
sagers
>>
>>7784985
u jelly brah? elliot went to elite private schools for the children of creative professionals in the hollywood entertainment industry, meanwhile u go to public high school in a town no one heard of, stay jelly and plen, fag
>>
>>7784985
>wahhhhh because it's not my hipster French arthouse bullshit it's not /lit/
Stay mad, faggot
>>
File: 1457209466383.png (1 MB, 937x962) Image search: [Google]
1457209466383.png
1 MB, 937x962
>>7784979
Robots are the only ones alone on xmas.
Nuff said
>tfw no qt /lit/ gf to spend xmas with

>>7784985
Faggot
>>
>>7785014
i alonefagged it at pepe johns last christmas, place was packed with hindus and the workers all looked like ex-cons scared of being fired if they asked for the holiday off, never saw so many facial tattoos on people with nametags on their shirts
>>
>>7785016
But are you a virgin?
Ever had a qt be interested in you?
>>
>>7785025

i smash vag from time to time, but i can't into relationships it's just too weird having this other person u have to pay attention to and talk to and shit every fucking day holy shit that is tedious
>>
this isn't lit
>>
>>7785041
You're just a Chad baka.

Can you teach me how to smash this vag?
Should I not put anime on my dating profiles?
>>
>>7784700
He was not simply writing a diary. He was obviously writing an apologia in the form of an autobiography. None can doubt that he intended this work to be read by the public. But because his imagination is quite barren he has nothing worth saying. His story is meant to offer a defense of why he did what he did. Not only does he fail in this, he fails at spectacular length. He cannot reflect fruitfully on himself or on anything else.
>>
Have you retards actually read his book?

Wasting time on 4chan is one thing, that is another.

Christ, get a life.
>>
>>7783994
I just started reading it and tbqh it's not bad.
>>
I just started reading it and tbqh it's not bad.
>>
>>7785134
I have a lazy eye and am very ugly.
I'll stick to my waifus and suicidal thoughts.
Thanks for the help tho
>>
>>7784605
Are you fucking serious? How is emailing your manifesto to a bunch of people right before going off on a shooting spree not "promoting" it? If anything, you've only heard of him because of his attention whoring as opposed to those hacks you hate so much who aren't as good at attracting attention.
>>
>>7785059
he does and he doesn't as far as self-reflection goes, but that is what's so great about it, he complains he can never get a gf but never talks to a girl for 140 pages, except his mother, who is a hollywood whore, so he naturally thinks he needs to be rich to get women, he comes to the conclusion of so many religious and anti-western people that "sex is evil" (mainly because he can't get as much as he thinks he deserves), he could just as easily have been an isis recruit as a school shooter, which is part of why it is such an important work of our generation, it captures that alienation and anger, the searching for answers, but only looking superficially, not to mention the whole shit does seem pretty gay, the text is just so rich, there's so much in it, it's a capsule of everything "the other half" of our civilization goes through aka non-normies
>>
>>7784233
roastie detected
>>
>>7784027
this.

>>7783994
>Elliot's writing style was really good
people with shitty tastes like shitty things what can I do
>>
>>7783994
The only recent manifesto worth reading is Mitchel Heisman's suicide note. Breivik copypasted "Industrial Society and Its Future" (just changed the "leftists" to "Jews" or sth) and Elliot was a whiny faggot who contributed nothing to anything.
>>
>>7785167
sounds to me like he was also a naturally talented growth hacker, don't be jelly that u don't have his self-promotion acumen, god the envy in this thread is so thick
>>
>>7784616
>DFW
You've never actually read anything by him, have you? My twisted world was more like a Chuck Palahniuk book and would be treated as such if it was fiction. It feels a lot more poignant than it actually is because suicide is the best career move for a writer.
>>
>>7785161
i guess u have bad dna that mother nature has not deemed worthy of being reproduced
>>
>>7785192
come on now, elliot rodger could have been a briefly interviewed hideous man, and u kno it fag, stop living in denial
>>
>>7785192
My Twisted World reads like an inept, clumsy and outright retarded copy of Édouard Levé's "Suicide", only in first person.
>>
ITT: Terminal autism
>>
>>7785219
The toastiest roastie has finally revealed herself
ROBOTS, TO ARMS
>>
File: 1457376498559.jpg (275 KB, 1656x1009) Image search: [Google]
1457376498559.jpg
275 KB, 1656x1009
>>7785232
>your entire post
>>
File: robotuprising.png (28 KB, 327x482) Image search: [Google]
robotuprising.png
28 KB, 327x482
>>7785232

Fucking kek, I thought we had gassed out all of the roasties
>>
>>7785232
>herself

yeah its so obvious the mad person is a chick, the irony is rodger killed more males than females in his spree but yellow lives don't matter in america, so the two white girls he killed are more important than the three chinese dudes he smoked
>>
i like the way reading this makes u search for solutions...a engaged father? the church? having a mom who wasn't a whore? accepting that he was a fag? obviously, it's not the women's fault, since he never actually talked to any of them lol, but it interested to look at where things went so wrong
>>
>>7785232
>implying I'm a grill
Don't get me wrong, I read and enjoyed Rodger's manifesto when it came out, but pretending he was a "genius" or had anything of value to say is straight-up autistic. Any points about how vapid and shallow contemporary society is only show up through him as an unwitting example via his cartoonishly visceral reactions to things.

The ending was my favorite part because of how delusional his initial plan was. Especially when compared to what actually happened.

btw, how does it feel to know that I've gotten more pussy than you or your fag idol Eliot ever will?
>>
one thing i can relate to is couples ruining barnes and noble, or for me it's university library, the same way libraries have strict no cell phones rules, they should have a no groping ur gf rule, that shit is so annoying when i was in school some time i'd go off campus to the city library so the only people inhabint the reading space with me would be stinky bums in narcotic stupors
>>
>>7783994
see
>>7782191
>>
>>7784462
Actually, it's all about robots trying to gain a new home, as [r9k] has been flooded with normies and edgy teenagers.
>>
>>7785297
>chick pretending to be a white knight
>a white knight who gets pussy

now u sir r truly a man of infinite jest
>>
>>7785297
>fullfilling my basic sexual necessities makes me better than you
>>
>>7785316
Go anywhere but /lit/ then
>>
>>7785238
I'm still here.
>>
>>7783994
>the females of the human species

Tryhard faggot. Unreadable shit.
>>
>>7785316
>imolying /lit/ is not flooded by normies and edgy teenagers
>>
>>7785336
Why though ? /lit/ is lefty cancer and doesn't belong on 4chan. We better purge it right now.
>>
>>7784769
He's right though.. Eliot's writing is whiny, pretentious and banal. There's no originality or genius, and like the previous poster said any time he is describing a memory or a place he is lacking creativity. To put it simply, he is a very lazy writer.

I want to make clear that this criticism is coming from someone who actually read the entire work, and I gotta be honest I really wanted to like it. I think the idea of the work is brilliant (descent from picturesque childhood into autistic villainy at the hands of cruel, unfair women ultimately culminating in a mass murder) but it was just too ambitious in scope for such a lazy writer to pull off.

Perhaps it could have been good had he started with the Greeks
>>
>>7785330
haha those dudes in african who suffer from malnutrition are such LOSERS i just had so much fucking pizza for lunch, this i probably had more slices for breakfast last week then they'll have in their entire LIFE, why don't those guys stop being such pussies and get some fucking pies
>>
>>7785362
Because faggots like you force political discussion and other unrelated boards cultures on it.

Anyway the left comes from Europeans which this board has large amounts of.

Dammit I just want to discuss literature.
>>
>>7785362
hello /pol/
>>
>>7785323
>w-white nite! Or no... u must be a grill cuz getting laid is impossible
I can smell the greasy autistic tears through my screen. Most girls are basic bitches with personalities not unlike Eliot's or yours. He should've just started sucking cock because he (and you) was clearly born for it.
>>
>>7785368
dude, the way he describes religious oppression of women is so great, i mean suppose he converted to islam and became an ISIS recruit and wrote the stuff about women "needing to be controlled because they are attracted to beasts" or whatever, you would have to defend him against trumpist islamophobia, that's what's so great about it, it highlights how when religions take over the state it's a world where elliot rodgers are in charge of morality...he's not writing anything holloubecq wouldn't write, he's just doing it authentically rather than to troll for sales
>>
>>7785370
But i'm European too and i'm not a triggered SJW.
You should try reading some Céline or Brasillach
>>
>>7785382
dude he would have been a tremendous tranny, if he decided to transition instead of death it would be an even greater lgbt classic, everyone knows women are basic, otherwise everyone would have a gf, it's just idealist nerds try to hold out and find a girl who is equal to them in intellect and ambition, when really a gf is just a personal warmhole u have to feed and drive around, if anything having a gf is mysonginistic
>>
>>7785330
>>7785369
>only responding to the one sentence of the post that calls you autistic virgins
>equating autistic virginity with starvation
>trying to say your personalities don't revolve around your autistic virginity while doing these things
Thanks for proving my point.
>>
>On the morning before, I will drive down to my father’s house to kill my little brother, denying him of the chance to grow up to surpass me

Not even /b/ can defend this fucking bullshit. The guy was unironically retarded, messed up in the head, and that invalidates all his work. His ideas don't come from observation and thinking, but from some chemical imbalance in his potato brain.

2/10
>>
>>7785410
i hate to admit it but that's really the key to getting gf that nerds and momma's boys miss, u have to accept that women are inferior to u, u have to take care of them and coddle them and baby them and in return u get bjs and free cleaning service, as soon as u fully accept this into ur mind, u'll get gf, or u'll say fuck that an get bf
>>
>>7785389
Nobody can argue the authenticity of his writing- its just unpolished and lazy. He had good ideas he just wasnt a good writer. unless you are gonna argue that it was written in dialect like Huck Finn or something, and the narrator wasn't the actual Eliot Rodgers, but was rather a "tfw no gf" caricature of his own creation.
>>
>>7785422
dude, that's the best fucking part! it's like some shit out of a great tragedy, he has to kill the only person who ever looked up to him! it's like some kin of oedipal struggle, but instead of against his absentee father he can't let his little brother live to get his mom's love...dude, this shit is sooo fucking good, every part has great shit in it, holy shit
>>
>>7785427
>nitpicking prose in a masterpiece

stay pleb, girlfriend
>>
>>7783994
> Some
would say this was folly, but it has been done before! Many people have succeeded in coming up with
an idea and making millions, or even billions, instantly. I was an extraordinary, magnificent person
destined for great things. If other people could do it, why not me? It was my destiny, my whole purpose
on this world.

you think this shit is good? you got meme'd hard son. go try to actually talk to a girl instead of thinking an r9k dweeb is a prophet
>>
File: Girls.png (490 KB, 449x401) Image search: [Google]
Girls.png
490 KB, 449x401
>>7783994
>How could an ugly Asian attract the attention of a white girl, while a beautiful Eurasian like myself never had any attention from them? I thought with rage.

>I thought with rage.
>>
>>7785422
like this anon suggests >>7785427
the narrator of the story wasn't Eliot Rodgers the actual person, but rather a fictionalized Eliot Rodgers that descends into cringe-worthy insanitiy. I read it as a modern day Don Quixote, and in a way he does try to become a Knight Errant, but is rejected by women of modern society. But to claim that the narrator is at all reflective of the author is a mistake. It is rather a Parody of the modern neet, expertly crafted by Eliot Rodgers to seem so realistic that the majority of people here believe its him.
>>
>>7785465
>As I stumbled a few yards down Del Playa with my shattered leg, I realized that someone had stolen my Gucci sunglasses that my mother had given me. I loved those sunglasses, and had to get them back.
>>
File: twisted mind.png (144 KB, 500x427) Image search: [Google]
twisted mind.png
144 KB, 500x427
>>7785469
anon pic related is probably some recommended reading for you then.
>>
>>7785469
You can pretend it's a parody if you want, but all the evidence shows that it was literally just him being himself.
>>
>>7785486
it's impossible to prove though. And regardless I do believe authorial intent ismeaningless. If Mark Twain wrote this we would assume it is a parody and it would be a classic
>>
>>7785485
call me back when they all shoot up schools :^)
>>
>>7785500
Yes, it's impossible to "prove" apart from all the evidence.
>>
>>7785500
Not if Twain had gone on a shooting spree.
>>
File: 1455389449894.png (246 KB, 531x571) Image search: [Google]
1455389449894.png
246 KB, 531x571
>>7785323
>now u sir r truly a man of infinite jest
>>
>>7785543
>There's no real evidence. The only thing you might be referring to is his YouTube videos, the shooting, and anything his family said about him afterwards. Can you Prove his YouTube videos weren't parody as well? And that the shooting wasn't the ultimate parody which most importantly assured that his work would be studied and read for years to come. You are doing an awful lot of implying sir.

>>7785574
Implying actions of the author have anything to do with his work. The shooting just assured a readership.
>>
>>7785449
but isn't this precisely what ever wannabe writer on lit thinks? again this is exactly why he's the generational voice, moreover, he lived in hollywood or malibu or whatever which was filled with rich fucks who made money in equally unlikely ways, so it was a lot more likely for him, yet u still hold out fantasies of being a rich novelist, so why u hatin on ur boy?
>>
>>7785586
didnt mean to greentext
>>
>>7785586
>Implying actions of the author have anything to do with his work. The shooting just assured a readership.

a lot of wannabes like to say they would kill to have their work be widely read, but only rodger had the willpower to make it a reality
>>
>>7785586
But his novel is a description of why he commited the shooting.
>>
>>7785586
Can you prove he wasn't a giant space hamster simply on Earth in disguise to study humans?
>>
>>7785471
dude that is rad as fuck holy shit
>>
>>7785616
>>7785606

Listen, guys, I'm the foremost Elliot Rodgers scholar on this goddamned planet. Nothing can be proven which is why we have to treat the work as a standalone.
>>
>>7785633
Prove you're the foremost Elliot Rodger scholar in the world.

Prove you even exist.

Prove I even exist.
>>
>>7785633
Well I'm the foremost giant space hamster scholar and I say that he was one until you can objectively prove otherwise.
>>
>>7785639
Now you're catching on.
>>
File: Minsc_Portrait_BG2.png (193 KB, 210x330) Image search: [Google]
Minsc_Portrait_BG2.png
193 KB, 210x330
>>7785641
Minsc pls
>>
>>7785621
i know i'm telling you plebs his manifesto is fucking dank
>>
>>7785651
As the foremost expert on dank memes, I can objectively say that we cant fundamentally prove anything about the dankness of said manuscript.
>>
He literally writes like an average high school B student grudgingly doing an assignment to keep a diary, except for his occasional flashes of weird narcissism.
>>
>>7785658
as the foremost scholar an manuscripts, I can objectively say we cannot prove that the text in question is, in fact, a manuscript.
>>
>>7785669
WHAT PARAT OF ITS A FUCKING PARODY DONT YOU UNDERSTAND. jesus christ dude, i think what you mean to say is THE NARRATOR writes like a high schoolers diary. THATS THE FUCKING POINT JESUS CHRIST
>>
>>7785648
I said giant space hamster not miniature giant space hamster.
>>
>>7785676
As the foremost expert on questions, we cannot metaphysically proclaim that said statement is in fact a question. Therefore is it rendered invalid.
>>
>>7785588
No I don't think that's the consensus at all. I think most people here would be really happy with jobs that don't pay incredibly well but make them happy and let them pursue their interests. If you're still scheming on how to make millions you missed your chance with the baby-boomers.
>>
He should have used his dads connections to make a film about his life instead of writing desu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4CressilIo
>>
>>7785682
as the foremost scholar on PARAT I say you cannot objectively prove THE NARRATOR doesn't write like JESUS CHRIST
>>
>>7785692
As the foremost expert on experts, there is no possible way for me to confirm your expertise on questions, therefore i must render your entire post invalid
>>
>>7785694
I always forget how attractive he actually is. Maybe if he actually talked to girls he'd have some luck.
>>
>>7785698
As the foremost expert on expert experts, I have to question your credentials, after all what sort of expert expert can't identify an expert? A true expert expert would expertly identify experts, I know this due to my expert expert expertise.
>>
>>7785682
>>7785543
>>7785500

okay we get it you read The Death of the Author once, if you think New Criticism is still the way of the world outside of your undergrad career your pretty dead wrong. Literary criticism is still highly based on contextualization for the right reasons, let's take William Carlos Williams "Paterson" for example: the soil survey included would stand out for not being literature if it was just an excerpt, but if you take into account of poor agriculture practice of the time, attempts of the city and poet finding identity amidst history and the other inclusions of factual information in the poem then contextually it becomes much more meaningful. Death of the Author is like the Allegory of the Cave, it's a cute fun anecdotal idea or thing, but in reality is pretty worthless at this point.
>>
>>7785694
god his voice is so qt
>>
File: 1407533127926.jpg (88 KB, 976x622) Image search: [Google]
1407533127926.jpg
88 KB, 976x622
>>7785422
>tfw no Elliot older brother to look up to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUDRu8bEGO8
>>
>>7783994
I cannot imagine reading 140 pages by some NEET whining about never getting laid.

But then I thought A Confederacy of Dunces was pretty boring too.
>>
>>7785714
>pretty dead wrong
you tried
>>
>>7785500
>>7785586
Only an autist would take death of the author this literally.
>>
Cho was edgier
>>
>>7785760
my point is he wrote it as a parody, which has nothing to do with death of the author
>>
>>7785796
He didn't so you're a retard instead of an autist.
>>
>>7784344

If I were asked to write 137 pages of intensely self-indulgent private thoughts without the slightest concern for having to live with the consequences (or judgement of readers) I could do it in a couple of days, easy.
>>
>>7785831
Im glad you have such a complete knowledge of Elliot's inner thoughts
>>
>>7785427
>its just unpolished and lazy. He had good ideas he just wasnt a good writer

This is just bullshit. He was a brilliant writer.
>>
>>7785796
Im glad you have such a complete knowledge of Elliot's inner thoughts
>>
>>7785848
I'm glad you're proving how retarded you are by blatantly ignoring all the well-documented facts of the case.
>>
>>7785899
if you could fucking read you'd know I already addressed all the facts you are referring to
>>
>>7785904
You haven't addressed shit, and it's a testament to how bad your DOWN's is that you think you have.
>>
>>7785832
this

It's called a diary, and I've already filled literally hundreds pages. It wasn't hard, and it isn't good.

The only reason anyone argues Eliot's trash is good is because of dumb frogposters going 'at last, a work that confirms all my biases! 10/10' No different from skinheads who laud Hitler's art as perfect and Mein Kampf as amazing lit.
>>
>>7785916
so your argument is i'm a retarded autist with downs... way to back up your claims faggot
>>
>>7785941
You're the one making claims that directly contradict everything we know about him because "it cud be parody lel" so the burden of proof is on you, retarded autistic downs faggot.
>>
>>7785926

Your diary would be shit. Elliot's Literature is a masterpiece.

People might laugh at Elliot, they might mock him. But they would put your diary down after page 2
>>
>>7785961
Not if he sent it out right before murdering a few people they wouldn't. You're missing the point, which is that no one would give a shit about Elliot or his drivel if he didn't go on murder spree. He'd have just been another autistic frogposter virign.
>>
>>7785985

>Using virgin as an insult.

Are you a virgin yourself, by any chance? Not that it matters.
>>
>>7785989
It's more of a description rather than an insult. It gained its insulting connotation from the way autistic frogposter virgins behave.

And no, I'm not a virgin myself.
>>
>>7785946
just stirrin the pot my boy, just stirrin the pot
>>
>>7786012
>I'm not a virgin myself.

Then you would know that losing your virginity does not magically change your behaviour instantaneously.

You can't tell a virgin simply by his behavior,
>>
>>7786019
It doesn't change all of your behavior, but it eliminates the facet of it that exists solely to obsess over your virginity, which actually --is-- easy to spot from a mile away.
>>
Who the fuck postpones a rampage because of a cold?
>>
>>7783994

I want to go to Isla vista one day to visit all the locations he mentions in My Twisted World
>>
>>7786027

Because it would hinder his fitness.
>>
>>7786026
some people actually think this
>>
>>7786123
It's true. Virgins are conditioned to have an inferiority complex about their virginity and are always trying to prove that they're not "just virgins".
>>
>>7786144

>lose virginity
>feel high for a few days
>return to posting misogyny on 4chan
>>
>>7786154
Posting misogyny isn't the issue. The way it works is that you're free from the pressure of trying to lose your virginity. Everything else still remains as it was, but it's one less fetter to deal with and that's a good thing.
>>
only on lit could you find a thread with 200 responses about Elliot Rodger's writing style
>>
>>7786291

This is probably more to do with the /r9k/ uprising than anything
>>
>>7786369
lit has always been fond of Elliot Rodgers
>>
>>7786401

It's Elliot Rodger, my friend.

Don't you dare misspell his name again.
>>
>>7786026
Many personality traits are easy to spot from a mile away—so long as you never bother to confirm your suspicions.

The "obsession" (so-called) may, however, be especially visible. And the reason is not far to seek, if you are willing to imagine that you may have mixed up the cause and effect.
>>
>>7786114
kill yourself before you kill someone else and yourself
>>
>>7786483

>want to visit Isla Vista
>this apparently makes me a future mass murderer.
>>
>>7783994

He is better than Shakespeare
>>
His writing is melodramatic and infantile. It's p bad m8.
>>
About half way through at the moment and if I have to read about World of Warcraft anymore I'm not sure I can make it all the way to the end.

From what I can tell he got babied like a motherfucker and never had to follow anything through. Spoiled brat thought girls were as easy to acquire and maintain as a BMW.
>>
>>7784616
sam?
>>
he was eaten up by envy

his journal is great literature in that it shows you the wrong path. it's didactic
>>
File: op.jpg (29 KB, 425x301) Image search: [Google]
op.jpg
29 KB, 425x301
197 COMMENTS
60 POSTERS

GEE I WONDER WHO IS BEHIND THIS THREAD
>>
>>7786592
patrishian neet lifestyle amirite buddy?
>>
>>7785899
how about the facts in the case of one jesus h. christ? turns out it was all a bunch of bullsht! but that doesn't mean the kjb isn't a rad book
>>
>>7786710
And they say /lit/ is better than /tv/
>>
He is a magnificent gentleman
>>
personally Between The World And Me reminded me a lot of My Twisted World. The author is lost in his own angsty world of hatred and me vs. the other, and he is completely blind to his own failings and shortsightedness...if only rodger's had written it with whites as the evil other instead of women he might have received a genius award. honestly, they both read similiarly and are written on around the same level, and both are priviledged pampered guys who utter fail to do any kind of self-criticism or introspection, while rodger indulges in video games and designer shirts, coates indulges in reading pan african black nationalist pseudo scholarship by guys like cheikh antadiop which just puts him more into a pit of irrational hate against the other...it's just coates is too much of a pussy to pick up a gun huey pee style and take the fight to the pigs, while rodger suffered from no such cowardice
>>
>>7784065
he did it for us, for the sake of literature. It's the ultimate performance art. History literally wrote itself.
>>
>>7784592
>Elliot was not a genius but MTW is a work that actually does have a place in the canon of literature. It's genius in its stupidity, it captures the zeitgeist very well. In his rants against women we see not only one man's frustration with that which he cannot understand, we see a generation set at war against itself, where we can communicate across the world but not across the street.

Exactly this, you're getting the pure undistilled and unedited version of the reality of a generation. Nobody has written anything like it.
>>
>>7785167
He emailed it to people not to promote it but for them to read it. He always thought none of it was his fault, he wanted to send them a message, not spread the manuscript. He killed himself anyway, so what is the point of whoring it then?
>>
>>7785437
The part where he says he might have to post pone it because he's not sure if he would be able to kill his father is just genius. It fits so perfectly and it's great for the suspense.
>>
>>7786485
to get the full experience
>>
>>7783994
What are the typos?
>>
>>7787974

I can't remember them all, but I know he misspelled "megamillions" as "megemillions" once.
>>
File: 1457431718448.png (822 KB, 3300x300) Image search: [Google]
1457431718448.png
822 KB, 3300x300
>>7784652
Yes. He just wanted to be heard.
>>
Elliot failed to see that Women have always wanted to be fucked, but only by men from whom they expected the best pleasure in bed AND after their orgasms. The relationship with Men who provide only sex will last between a few minutes to a few months.
of course, women eventually get bored in bed with the same man, but NEVER with men who give them gifts and pay their bills.

Sex never lasts, which is why it is better to be a provider for material goods, rather than for sex. The real relationship with women is when you give them money: they become free from the constraints of life. they are free to do what they want. It is called compassion.
The best relationship is when you give them money so that they agree that you make them cum. this is called kindness.
>>
>>7788035

Roastie detected

>>>/reddit/
>>>/tumblr/
>>
I want /r9k/ to leave
>>
>>7783994
>Those girls deserved to be dumped in boiling water for the crime of not giving me the attention
and adoration I so rightfully deserve!

What a miserable and pathetic human being.
>>
>>7788054

'MUH SAFESAPACE'
>>
File: bmwelliot.jpg (328 KB, 2500x1719) Image search: [Google]
bmwelliot.jpg
328 KB, 2500x1719
>>7783994

>Not having an annotated map of Isla Vista
>>
>>7783994
poor guy
he never had a chance
>>
>>7788450
>born in the First World country
>middle-upper class
>not ugly, no physical defects
>"h-he never had a chance"
>>
>>7784065

Why bad?
>>
>>7785926
Don't talk shit on Mein Kampf, 10/10
>>
File: wut.jpg (5 KB, 300x167) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
5 KB, 300x167
>>7783994
I went to Moorpark College too...
>>
>>7784979
You don't have a Marco's Pizza in your area? Top pleb
>>
File: 1418700422296.jpg (164 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1418700422296.jpg
164 KB, 1280x960
>>7788583
>>not ugly, no physical defects
I wish you were right.
>>
File: 10irj3.jpg (66 KB, 648x364) Image search: [Google]
10irj3.jpg
66 KB, 648x364
>>7783994
The best part of the manifesto: "I heard my sister's boyfriend plunging his penis inside her and I stood outside of the door listening to it"
>>
He shouldn't have killed himself tho, the trial would have been hilarious. It would have been like one of his cringy videos, but with that drama queen supervillain knowing he's in front of a court and TV chameras.
Damn, shit could have given some golden sentences.
>>
>>7788167

r9k would know about safe-spaceism, you guys whine worse than a bunch of tumblr bitches when a normie turns up in your little sanctuary. Which isn't surprising, as they're really the people you have the most in common with in this world with your self-absorbed refusal to acknowledge reality and your fierce sense of entitlement. Two sides of the same childish coin.

Anyway this isn't that, this is just the natural irritation felt by people who were more or less happy with the company they were keeping when suddenly an influx of annoying newcomers makes their presence felt.

The point, since we're on /lit/, is that Elliot Rodger's writing doesn't hold up as a work of literature. All this wrangling over whether it's parody or not, and whether the narrator can/should be considered separately from Rodger himself, is really pretty irrelevant. Either he was a narcissistic, dysfunctional, embittered and hateful human being who blamed society for his misfortunes and shortcomings (the subtle clues in his way of life and his actions point to this solution) or he constructed a narrator who had those qualities and wrote a fictional account of said narrator's life. Either way, there is no redeeming quality in the writing. There's no reason to take this seriously as a didactic piece, any more than there would be to assume that, say, Fifty Shades of Grey was actually an inspired ironic comment on our society's bland sexual mores, uncritical craving for titillation and entertainment, and lack of intellectual or emotional depth.

Rodger didn't capture the zeitgeist with this piece of work, he just expressed the frustrations of a marginalised few. Not that that's all bad; if one of you robots would have the self-awareness, talent and perspicacity to write a serious exploration of your state, it could be very powerful. But this isn't that, this is just the diary of a malignant narcissist with nothing of wider significance to say.
>>
>>7791065
>there is no redeeming quality in the writing

Literally stopped reading there.
>>
OK EVERYONE OF YOU RETARDS:

i admit i'm not a literature expert. and i'm glad i'm not, because maybe i'd turn out like all you pretentious faggots.

> muh prose
> muh poor creativity

fucktards, this isn't fiction. this is the ultimate chance to look in the mind of an autist sociopath who became a murderer. if you can't see the merit this work provides regarding being a distorted mirror of the american culture and society, then we need another cultural revolution and burn all the pretentious intellectuals on here. and no, i'm not serious about that you fucking retards. if elliot was a made up narrator it would be brilliant, too. it is like taxi driver. travis isn't the most reflective person on earth, for a god damn reason. we view the world through elliots eyes. and how he provides that view is phenomenal.

if you weren't so god damn ego centred as elliot himself you would be able to recognize that. this whole thread is real life satire on those pseudo intellectual college kids that maybe have great prose, but that isn't worth shit. content and relevance matters. this shit is as relevant as it gets and shows things about this age, none of you faggot could ever show in your shitty stories with muh creative adjectives. if you think this shit matters, you're a faggot.
no homophobe
>>
>>7791765
It's not surprising that you Elliott defenders are close-minded children who can't bear to even read a dissenting opinion

>>7791774
But it isn't phenomenal. The writing on /r9k/ is better on average, and offers a very similar view of distorted American society or whatever. It's clear from your writing that you've never been to college; your image of the smirking, latte-drinking undergrad with a macbook and "creative adjectives" is a laughable strawman. It's astounding that can

You know what fuck it. Please just fuck off back to /r9k/. Some lonely loser's diary is not literature, regardless of what he did or how it reflects American culture (read: reinforces your jaded, narrow view of American culture). Just fuck off and die already.
>>
>>7791797

you don't even notice the self irony in my post. i have a bachelors degree in political science and am curently in my masters. because i'm going to uni i know exactly about which people i'm talking here. just because they attended uni courses they think they know everything and their opinion is the ultimate truth. any good author would agree with me. you are just on the surface of everything, shows again i your post, i exactly got you were i wanted you with the /r9k typical insults. if you don't see how the radical ending of elliot makes it so much more worthwile than 99% of 'literature' since 2000, you should fuck off and die you genetical and socially priviliged pseudo intellectual.
>>
>>7791774
>if you can't see the merit this work provides regarding being a distorted mirror of the american culture and society, then we need another cultural revolution and burn all the pretentious intellectuals on here

Probably the best post on /lit/ in a very long time.

/lit/ is cancer because it is not just normal people discussing literature, which it what it should be, Instead it is a bunch of people with degrees simply declaring themselves to be 'objectively right' because they have X degree from Y university.

This piece of literature is unique, it's fresh, it provides value that is unique to this writing.

Instead, people would rather jack off to 100 virtually identical books rather than give this credit.
>>
>>7791797
>The writing on /r9k/ is better on average

There is a difference between a few anonymous posts by people about how they are feeling one day, compared with a life long diary of a very unique individual. I don't want to give the impression of an Elliot worshipper, but this book is pretty much revolutionary, there is nothing else like it.

I can guarentee any book that you praise and approve of is virtually identical to any other story, with perhaps a few slight character changes, there is nothing else like My Twisted World on Earth.
>>
>>7783994
Maybe a few people on /lit/ could write something like this.
Not that its great, but the discipline to write about your god damn life in detail on 150 pages where every single thing, person and conversation leads to some ultimate cause like its some surreal chess game is astounding. Esepcially so casually and with such focus.

You really need to be super narcisistic for that sort of stuff and take everything in your life very significantly to even remember it. I don't think i could actually tell what I was doing at like 14 years old in such detail, let alone at younger age.
>>
>>7783994
slightly off topic, but i've been working on some my twisted world fan fic. think it has a audience/market?
>>
File: 1445264013494.jpg (105 KB, 560x451) Image search: [Google]
1445264013494.jpg
105 KB, 560x451
He made a fairly good point about how the biological drives for choosing mates are still woefully archaic. For example people want muscled chads, and big titty stacys, but pay no account to the truly important genetic attribute of the modern, and future eras: intelligence. I hate to invoke Idiocracy, but it was fairly prescient in this respect.

Now I don't blame people for their drives, but I think some kind of eugenics is called for to solve this. Some kind of positive program where smart people are rewarded for reproduction, rather than the antiquated punishing, and sterilization of the genetically incompetent.
>>
>>7791921

Elaborate, it would have a small, yet very dedicated market.

I pirate virtually everything but would be willing to pay on principle.
>>
>>7791976

i value his work, but holy shit it's not for you. you literally understand nothing, you're just spouting memes.
>>
>>7791980
im not looking for money as much as readership... it's an imagined scenario where he chickened out of the shooting and continued his story into his thirties where he reaches deeper depths of anger and desperation
>>
>>7791993
>his "work"
memes aside, maybe I just read into it what I wanted to see. also my post was NOT a meme post of any kind
>>
>>7792003

he would agree with you, thats why you're autistic. his views are taken to be a perveted reflection of the values of majority, not as as something to strivve for.
>>
"I took the time to read the document the other day, and I came away thinking it was one of the most important things I’d seen in some time. "
http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-elliot-rodger-my-twisted-world-20140605-story.html

dumb normies in thread btfo by intelligent normies at newspapers
>>
>>7792073
>you're autistic
ironic feedback
>>
>>7792090

very good quote in there:

Rodger’s story reads like a cautionary tale — of a young man who swallowed every poison pill our culture could throw at him and was outraged when he became sick. To be clear, he was no victim. But he was no megalomaniac either, as media-curated readings of his manifesto would imply.
>>
>>7792090

Nb 'important' is a very different word to 'good'. Rodger's writing is awful. He repeats the same stale phrases like a broken record and frequently tells the same story over and over with slight variations as if it was a separate event. (Like, if he genuinely saw and was enraged by couples and threw his drink over them on like 5 different occasions, he could at least acknowledge the prior incidents when he comes to relate the following ones in almost identical language). He has a total lack of self-awareness or insight. And his ideology is so childish that it's hard not to laugh at him even knowing he murdered people.

That's not to say we should ignore him. His case highlights real problems, but his analysis of them is awful and his writing is painfully bad.

An important document is not the same thing as a good piece of writing.
>>
>>7792073

Provide a single piece of textual evidence to support this interpretation please.
>>
>>7792179

i don't say its the authors intend. but i'm analyzing it that way in the lights of american society and values. doesn't surprise me the majority of this board can't see that.
>>
>>7792161

i'm not saying elliot would make a great fictional author and never did i say it was "good". but this piece is authentic and it provides inference only few fictional stories achieve. someone telling the story of a mass murder shouldn't have the aspiration to make it a "good read" either, but to provide an authentic view of the mass murderers insights, especially if written in first person. if you compare it with such works it is exeptional and has its's place in literature that could provideinfluence for a lot of fictional stories about narcistic killers like him. he isn't a very complex individual. but it takes a complex individual to understand him fully and the implication his case gives away.

his life story would make a great intimate play movie btw. all you people that disregard his manifesto as literature are so similiar to elliot and you can't even see it. great stuff desu. he is like a tapered version of everyone living in this society.
>>
>>7792198

You definitely did say it was the author's intent, buddy. But I'm not asking you to support that, because I don't even care about the author's intent. Let's discuss it as a text. I agree that it holds up a twisted mirror that has something to say about American society, but honestly it's nothing that Brett Easton Ellis or Kanye West hasn't already said.
>>
>>7792222

Oh. Nah, I agree that his manifesto is a fascinating document and could be a good foundation for art (eg a play or screenplay). I don't know why you assume I would disagree with that just because I stated that Rodger is a bad writer and dreadful thinker.
>>
>>7792231

the "are taken" thing, was probably a language barrier problem. i meant, there is an analysis at our hands, that most people don't get right.

did you mean kanye west criticizes what the reader of MTW can take away from the story? or did you mean kanye west reflects the same problems as elliot rodger? in both cases, i disagree. if you tell me which of both you meant, i tell you why.
>>
>>7792246

I mean Kanye is about the emptiness at the bottom of every dream of success founded on designer clothes and a 'beautiful blonde girlfriend' as Rodger would put it. He also speaks to the sense of entitlement at the root of modern culture (Rodger's rants about how he deserves sex and love, and his obsession that he's destined to win the lottery).
>>
there have been two books and a documentary about Columbine, and those kids were kind of boring, basically their problem was being put on some crazy prescription drugs that made them go nuts...but rodger doesn't get one book or documentary? his case is so much more relevant to america, Columbine has easy answers like the gun lobby or big pharma, etc. but in rodger's case it comes down to deep alienation that can't be blamed on this or that political badguy
>>
>>7792253
>his rants about deserving sex and love

only a woman could argue that a human being doesn't "deserve" to be loved
>>
>>7792272
that's why god sent his son and not his daughter
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.