[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the best English translations of Homer's works?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: Homer_British_Museum.jpg (203 KB, 635x800) Image search: [Google]
Homer_British_Museum.jpg
203 KB, 635x800
What are the best English translations of Homer's works?
>>
>>7644024
Lattimore
>>
We have this thread literally every fucking day just look at the archive, or even better look up samples of Pope, Lattimore, Fagles, Fitzgerald, Lombardo, Mitchell and pick whatever you like best.
>>
>>7644240
I recently read a small bit of the Mitchell translation of The Iliad, and it was pretty good for an English translation. Is it recommended?
>>
>>7644255
Fuck off.
>>
>>7644255
i love how you completely ignored the advice given in the post you're replying to
>>
>>7644259
>>7644267
It was a completely unrelated question, I'm not OP.
>>
>>7644271
Your "unrelated" question was answered in the post you were asking.
>>
>>7644275
Not really. I was obviously asking about the whole thing, I only read the first page and was wondering what the whole thing might be like. If no one has read the entire Mitchell translation then fine.
>>
>>7644288
Read all the translations and see for yourself.
>>
>>7644293
Yeah, thanks anon. I've read a few of them, and OP I suggest the Fitzgerald or Lattimore.
>>
>not reading the original

well we cant pay denbts but atleast we have that
>>
>Poetry, indeed, cannot be translated; and, therefore, it is the poets that preserve languages; for we would not be at the trouble to learn a language, if we could have all that is written in it just as well in a translation. But as the beauties of poetry cannot be preserved in any language except that in which it was originally written, we learn the language.
>>
fagles or lattimore

fitzgerald fucks up the meter so i cant be having that
>>
>>7644024
In the discipline, we pretty much agree Lattimore for the Odyssey, Fagles for Iliad
>>
>>7644024
Learn ancient Greek you lazy sod
>>
>>7644024
If you won't learn Greek, Chapman's is by far the best and most influential English translation of Homer. Everything other than Chapman is inferior.

If you're too stupid to read Elizabethan English, read Fagles.
>>
FAGLES. Real spirit in that one!
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.