[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is good book?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
I arrived here few weeks ago and realized that a lot of books and tales that me and some from my social circle consider "masterpieces" are seeing like pleb or some kind of trash. So /lit/ answer me what makes a book a good nook? Give me some recommendations by the way.
>>
Who is this semen demon?
>>
File: 5460810.jpg (51 KB, 423x345) Image search: [Google]
5460810.jpg
51 KB, 423x345
Book must have good teeth
>>
>>7560545
Op here, have no idea posted it here to have some visibility
>>
>>7560543

Let's start with what books you and your social circle consider masterpieces? We'll go from there.
>>
>>7560573
You know, The Martian, Enders Game, game of Thrones...
>>
>>7560600
Bait/10
>>
>>7560600

Oh dear...bless your heart.
>>
>>7560573
Op Here, it's like >>7560600 said, but we also like Don Quixote and The Divine Comedy
>>
>>7560618

Well Don Quixote is GOAT tier so you're all right. Just keep reading what the people who know what they're talking about say are the best. You'll be fine.
>>
I'd start with the major works of your country's national literature, read some 19th century world literature, then start w homer and Aeschylus and move up from there? Seems to be the most popular route.
>>
>>7560618
If you want a good version of "the Martian" try something like The Forever War.

Good genre fiction wold be Wolfe, The Lies of Locke Lamora, And Abercrombies works

Of course Quixote and comedy are good, but are utterly entry level.
>>
>>7560543
Damn op...that pic tho...
>>
https://www.instagram.com/miss_alyssaarce/
>>
>>7560639
>The Lies of Locke Lamora
Kill yourself
>>
>>7560639
>"are good, BUT are utterly entry level"
are you implying that because they are well-known and therefore assumed to have been read by any serious reader, they are somehow less valuable or less good?
>>
>>7561583
Hey Reddit.
>>
>>7560600
Please go back to reddit
>>
Oh boy more reddit. Well at least it's respectable that you're humbling yourself so I have two very loose guidelines for cutting out pleb works. First if it's less than twenty years old, and if it's genre fiction. Not to say there haven't been great works written in the past twenty years, nor that genre fiction is never good. However cutting these out will do most of the work for you. When you have a solid grounding in the classics, both ancient and modern, then you'll be able to return to these two and be able to sniff out the good ones for yourself without any help. For a start absolutely read Homer if you haven't, The Iliad and Odyssey.
>>
we only have the great guys at >>7560292 to thank for posters like these
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.