[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the life of a Surface Warfare Officer in the Navy like?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8
What is the life of a Surface Warfare Officer in the Navy like? Is it incredibly competitive and difficult to become one? I am currently a masters student at a major American university studying international relations and can speak both Russian and Persian languages. Do surface warfare officers often get a shot at BUDS too if they apply for it? Bumping with Navy pictures
>>
File: Navy 2.jpg (56 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Navy 2.jpg
56 KB, 640x360
>>28034958
>>
File: Navy 3.jpg (1 MB, 3984x2454) Image search: [Google]
Navy 3.jpg
1 MB, 3984x2454
>>28034961
>>
File: Navy 4.jpg (584 KB, 2100x1500) Image search: [Google]
Navy 4.jpg
584 KB, 2100x1500
>>28034974
>>
File: Navy 5.jpg (209 KB, 1200x773) Image search: [Google]
Navy 5.jpg
209 KB, 1200x773
>>28034987
>>
>>28034958
this is probably better asked at /meg/
check the catalog
>>
>>28035007
/meg/ what is that
>>
File: navy submarine.jpg (1 MB, 3872x2592) Image search: [Google]
navy submarine.jpg
1 MB, 3872x2592
>>28034998
>>
>>28035028

>>28032515
>>
File: Navy 8.jpg (82 KB, 800x572) Image search: [Google]
Navy 8.jpg
82 KB, 800x572
>>28035043
>>
File: 1448310844522.jpg (44 KB, 496x368) Image search: [Google]
1448310844522.jpg
44 KB, 496x368
>>28035028
Implying officers should check the enlistment thread
>>
>>28035283
So do you have any answers?
>>
>>28034958

It's usually the least competitive branch for Naval Officers, and these days it seems that they don't get a shot at BUDS.

Usually it's the other way around, you try for BUDS, and if you fail, you'll probably be Surface Warfare.
>>
It sucks. I mean, it really sucks. SWO life is notorious for how much it sucks compared to other naval designators.

SWOs actually take pride in functioning without sleep and backstabbing each other for their shot at promotions. You'll have a shitty watch schedule, you'll likely have a terrible Department Head who will take out his anger at life by shitting on you, and life on a boat just sucks in general.

At the end of the day, though, you are what people generally think of when they think of naval officers. You'll be in charge of a lot more enlisted folks than other naval designators, you'll learn how to navigate at sea, you may get a chance at firing big guns, etc.

It's not hard at all to get a SWO billet, especially compared to becoming a pilot or submariner. You can't be color-blind, and there are some other restrictions as well. But generally, at least for OCS candidates, SWO billets were often the back up choice.

If you want to go SEAL, then just go SEAL. SWOs do have a better chance than most to go to VBSS school (Visit Board Search and Seizure) where they learn how to ride small boats and board other boats. If you're a tremendous douchebag, you'll think that training makes you more of a SEAL than others (can't tell you how many SWOs I met who thought like this). It may be easier to transfer as a SWO than other designators, because generally, other communities do not want to let you go since they invested so much time and money into training you already.

If you're learning Russian and Persian, why not go CIA? You'll be a much better candidate than most. Or hell, if you want to be really operator, try out for Army Special Forces. Languages skills are in heavy demand all across the government and DOD; don't throw that away just to learn how to sail a boat unless that is actually what you want to do.

Despite the shitty lifestyle, some SWOs genuinely do love life at sea and wouldn't have it any other way. If that applies to you, more power to you.
>>
>>28035312

By the way, this isn't meant to knock it, Admiral Mullen in >>28035092 is prestigious as all fuck, great Chairman of the Joint Chiefs. SWO his whole career.

If you're a die hard ship nerd, do it. Fire off the Tomahawks.
>>
>>28034958
>Persian
Shave your back and wash off all that cologne, you are disgusting
>>
>>28035363
I am not Persian. Half German and half Italian... so maybe I still need to shave my back from the Italian side...

>>28035319
Interesting. Isnt it like... nigh impossible to get into the CIA now as an operations officer? How exactly will one do that? Will my graduate degree up my chances of being taken to work as an OO? Thank you so much for all of your knowledge and guidance btw.
>>
>>28035533

>CIA

There's also Naval Intelligence to apply for. And no, it's not impossible to go CIA, just hard.
>>
Try this:

1. Go through Navy OCS, and get an SWO billet.

2. Transfer to Naval Intel.

3. Polish your FL's at the Defense Language Institute.

4. Finish out your active duty commitment. Stay in Navy Reserve.

5. Apply to CIA. Agency loves to have military reservists among their ranks, as it provides a ready-made cover for foreign travel. I had a relative at CIA, who actually pulled his reserve (Army) time, while he was deployed with agency in a combat area. Basically, did the same job, in the same JOC, but for two wekks wore a uniform, instead of civvies, and answered to a different boss.
>>
>>28035578

>plans this complicated and long

Bad planning, go away. This stinks of 18 year old coast guard DEPer
>>
>>28035578

>but for two wekks wore a uniform, instead of civvies, and answered to a different boss.

Good to know your Uncle is a fucking liar.
>>
>>28035570
Yea, but you do almost nothing but sit at a desk as a Naval intel officer though, right?
>>
>>28035570
>>28035578
>go CIA
>feel the pride of having a direct hand in serving
>serving the interests of caliphate-building frenemies in Turkey, Qatar, and KSA
You're gonna literally be involved in setting up false-flagged terrorism on US soil
>>
>>28035617

Not necessarily. I was a desk jockey in the most literal sense as administration and I pulled over 500 miles of convoy duty. Am I a Rambo action hero American hero? Not at all, but I'm an excellent administrator and I'll do dangerous things when asked - if it helps the guys that are really in the dirt (like the dirty infantryman shitting in bags at a PB). This brings me to you:

You're a graduate student studying international relations, use your strengths. At a desk, with your skill-set, you'll likely be surprised at how important your abilities really are, especially if you're serious about service. You'll probably be surprised at how non-desk it sometimes is, if you decide to pursue it.
>>
>>28035617
I mean, this is what 90% of CIA jobs are too though.

You're a paper pusher, but the papers are extremely valuable.
>>
>>28035578

You can go directly to Navy intel from OCS.

>>28035533

Your graduate degree will help, but really, it's the languages that will be crucial. Try to get some international experience as well. And keep a clean record. Minimize debt, don't get a DUI, stop smoking weed, etc.

You still might not be what they're looking for in a operations officer. It's a rigorous screening process, and they're looking for certain personality type/someone who can handle a lot of stress. Not everyone is cut out for that job.

>>28035617

In general yes. There are some neat jobs though, and quality of life is usually better. Best of all is the TS/SCI clearance. Government agencies and contractors love to see that on a resume, because they're so damn expensive. Quite a few SWOs will transition to Navy intel.

What this guy recommended >>28035578
is honestly a convoluted and long process, but say you do go Navy intel, get the clearance, and keep your language skills up to par... I'd say you're a shoe-in at any three-letter agency.

At this point, I'd say talk to a recruiter and reach out to people already in the Navy. It's good that you're learning your languages, but you want to be an expert... not just muddlingly average. And get fit.
>>
>>28035670
More like
>go CIA
>become the shitposting god of /tv/
>>
>>28035714
Even operations officers?

>>28035701
what do you mean the desk work is "not desk"
>>
>>28035777

A lot of the times you're at a desk, sometimes you aren't.

It depends on the job, as with anything. Not "the job" as in your position, but what you're doing as someone holding that position.

Do you want me to guarantee the next 5 years of your life or something?

>>28035749

>shoe-in

kek
>>
>>28035774
that too
>>
>>28035777
Damn son nice trips
But I need to clear a misconception.
Officers are expensive. Especially ones with languages and extra security clearances and rank. So you'll probably will not get to operate as a O1 or O2 and I can guarantee you'll have fired your last shot in anger past O4. Officers don't do the fighting or the operating. Enlist if you want to do that shit.
>>
>>28035533
>Half German and half Italian

generally the us navy only takes americans buddy
>>
SWO is the best profession in the navy, no doubt about that. I'm depressed as fuck because I have awful asthma and they won't let me join the navy. i just live vicariously though navy theads ;_;
>>
>>28035958
By heritage ya goof lol.
>>
hey op i'm a currently enlisted Navy CTN

i'm about to complete my degree and i'm in the process of putting in an officer package SWO-IW is actually my second choice after SNA.
i work with intel officers /CWE's all the time so if you have any questions regarding that world i will answer them to the best of my ability.

also you should look into

SWO- IP
SWO -IW
and
SWO- intel
all of these designations give you time on a ship but also enable you to get training / work in navy intel.
>>
>>28036508
Thats awesome man! Thanks! So let me just ask you, from a fly on the wall perspective, what is the day to day of an Intel officer like? Also, same question but for a general SWO? Thank you so much.
>>
>>28036508
also op i know its been said before but SWO life is not easy

check forums like airwarriors and sailorbob the general consensus seems to be that "STAB STAB look STAB" is the mantra of a jr SWO
>>
>>28036168
shave your back, Omid Rabizadeh
>>
>>28035350

seems like the Navy switches between an aviator, a SWO, and a sub dude for CNO. so if you're an aviator admiral and the previous CNO was an aviator, sorry.
>>
Intel slots are few and far between. You most likely will not get picked up for it. Some years they take zero. Your officer recruiter knows this, and will get you to sign up for a "back up designator, you know, just in case." Which will be SWO or something. You'll get picked up for SWO before anything else. If you just want one job and nothing else, DO NOT put anything else down when you apply to OCS.

Let me tell you about SWO.
Pro: You end up leading sailors right off the bat, assuming your ship isn't overmanned for officers. You will have a division of 10-20 people most likely, and you will be responsible for their mission.

Cons: Ship could be overmanned for officers. The Navy does this because SWOs do get kicked out now and then for sucking.

Con: You might get put in charge of something like cleaning officer staterooms. You won't have to do it, but you'll have to motivate like 10 FSAs (indentured servants, basically) to do this thankless labor. You'll have to lecture them on meaningless shit like mopping behind each head, not just in front. You'll have to pretend that this meaningless shit actually matters, and everyone knows it doesn't, and the guys you're trying to convince know you know it doesn't matter.

Con: If you don't make satisfactory progress towards earning your warfare pin, you can get admin separated from the Navy. The earning of the pin is completely arbitrary, determined by your CO. He could just not like you, and you won't get your pin, and you're gone.

Pro: about once every few months you might do something cool. Maybe you'll hit a nice port, or maybe it will just be something as simple as watching a nice sunrise over the water.

I could go on, but here's the summary of SWO life: Most SWOs fucking hate it. A few learn to love the suck, the lack of sleep, the shitty aspects, they take it as a point of pride. Most don't though. Most just deal with the bullshit while they wait until they can get out.
>>
>>28036802

any time there's crazy retention bonuses, it's either that life is terrible in or extremely awesome out. so: sub dudes (bit of both), pilots (stacking bills with the airlines and banging stewardesses in foreign lands), special operations (contracting lol), some medical professions...

and on the shitty side:
USAF missileer (so much shit. "eat your young" doesn't even begin to approach it)
SWO
>>
>>28036644
ok well allow me to clarify.

for my job i mainly work with IWO's (information warfare officers), which are operationally different from Intel officers, and CWE's(cyber warfare engineer's) which i wouldn't really consider Intel.

so i cant really give you an accurate description of what life is like as an Intel officer, as the only time i am in contact with them is during briefings, and the one-off conversations we happen to have.

i will say this, at the end of the day those are all desk jobs. They also don't really involve the leadership or hands on experience i think you are looking for, however if you are looking for job security after the Navy they are the way to go.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.