[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/MEG/ Military Enlistment General OP template http://paste
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21
File: 128738111.png (122 KB, 680x497) Image search: [Google]
128738111.png
122 KB, 680x497
/MEG/ Military Enlistment General

OP template
http://pastebin.com/sb5Gv1dW

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253

Ask questions, answer questions, bitch about Air Force recruiters. Just keep it contained to this general.
>>
>>28032153

The amount of prospective recruits who give a huge shit about what the dress uniform looks like is fucking astounding.

We do our best to wear that shit as little as possible, regardless of service. It should be, like, fiftieth on your list of priorities.
>>
I'm considering going either 35Q or P in the army, or CTN or CTI in the Navy, and I have a few questions.

1. Of the two branches, what are the pros and cons? Is one just outright better for these positions?
2. Which of the four MOS's translates better to civilian life? I've narrowed it down to Q / P for the army, but I haven't done as much research on the Navy, so if another MOS other than what I listed is better, insight would be appreciated.
3. If I join the Navy, would I be stationed on a ship or state-side? Ideally I'd like to live off base with my wife, and I'm not sure if I could do that in the Navy. If I can't, apply question #2 to just the Army positions.

Thanks anons.
>>
>>28032551
Oh I also forgot, how does the Air Force stack up in this comparison? Would it be better than my other options, worse? Would it allows me to stay state-side or no?
>>
>>28032551

1. Navy generally has less bullshit than Army, less emphasis on PT. Speed of promotion depends on job. Seagoing jobs in the Navy will "deploy" much more often than the Army deploys right now. Great if you want to see the world, not so much if you want to have a family life. CTN is sort of an edge case as they don't really go to sea.

2. 35P = CTI, 35Q = CTN, they're basically the same jobs. You will go to the same schools (JCAC/DLI) and the civilian prospects are similar. Of major note right now is that the Army is actively kicking out linguists and has tons of open space in Cyber. So if you go linguist, Navy is probably better. Overall? Cyber is fucking gold in the civilian sector right now, way moreso than knowing a foreign language.

3. Depends on job and luck. CTN is one of the Navy jobs that will rarely ever actually go OCONUS. Army 35Q also doesn't really deploy, but the same can be said for most of the Army right now anyways.
>>
>>28032631

Thanks for the info. I think the Navy route is definitely what I would want as far as the job prospect, technology available, so on and so forth goes. How does the Air Force factor in to this, and what is the Q / CTN equivalent (or P / CTI equivalent) in the Air Force?
>>
>>28032530
It is 50th on my list of priorities

it's basically the only discrepancy I have left with branch choice.

I think it would be worth joining the Navy for the chance to actually deploy on a ship rather than being behind a desk somewhere in Texas.
>>
>>28032551
>>28032566
>>28032680
Yet another thing I forgot to ask about, is basic training uniform across all of the branches or do they all have different programs? If it's different, what are the differences?
>>
>>28032530
Well you have to ask yourself if you want a dress uniform thar looks like a business suit or something from a Village People video.
>>
>>28032551
No 35Ps were promoted this last go around. None. Out of THOUSANDS. And the language test was enormously increased in difficulty. DoD is trying to strangle the whole career.
>>
>>28032551
>1. Of the two branches, what are the pros and cons? Is one just outright better for these positions?

Army - Best pay, moderate treatment
Navy - Worse pay, better treatment
>>
>>28033074
It's quite different. It sucks all around, but in different ways and for different amounts of time. Army is more physical than, say, the Air Force but the Air Force is more of a mental game than the Army's, or so said a buddy who went through both.
>>
>>28033146
>DoD is trying to strangle the whole career.

Nope. 35P lost a ton of billets. The other services don't have it near as bad.

That's what happens when a majority of your MOS billets don't even belong to the service you signed up for.
>>
>>28033164
Pay is the same across the DOD. You'll just make E-4 automatically in the Army.
>>
File: 1443304519764.png (21 KB, 508x610) Image search: [Google]
1443304519764.png
21 KB, 508x610
>>28033164
>Navy - Worse pay

What the fuck are you going on about? In addition to my base pay, I have COLA, Sea Pay and Sub Pay on top of all of that. I make more money than the majority of people in my paygrade.
>>
>>28033247
They've been trying to kill off 25P for at least 4 years. I think after points went up from around 300 some-odd in 2010 to 798 they dropped to 550 once for about a month and our numbers went from 1500 to less than 400 as of February.

Oh well, still got that $40k sign-on for it.
>>
Will i be the only manlet in basic?
>>
>>28033303

Advancement to E5 is actually faster in the Navy if you test well, but depending on the career field Army will pick up 6 and 7 a lot quicker than their Navy counterparts.

Bonuses and extra pays also vary by service, so some services do tend to pay more than others in certain fields.
>>
File: parkourdude91.jpg (38 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
parkourdude91.jpg
38 KB, 500x667
Can I make the cut to become a marine.
>>
>>28033356
No. There's some short ass dudes in the military. My DS was 5 foot even, maybe 100 pounds. The little dog syndrome was strong with this one.
>>
>>28033431
You're kind of fat, but you could make it. They'd put you on a restricted diet, is all.
>>
>want to join USAF
>can barely manage 13 push-ups

fug
>>
File: 1445753848667.png (55 KB, 380x264) Image search: [Google]
1445753848667.png
55 KB, 380x264
>>28033431
Didn't he kill himself?
>>
How big of a dealbreaker is corrected eyesight for prospective airforce pilots?
>>
>>28033514
You'll fit right in
>>
>>28033534
Is it corrected to 20/20? If so you're good.
>>
Considering enlisting with the Air Force-- I think I'd want to go for Geospatial Intelligence, Space System Operations, something with computers (Cyber Transport Systems or the programming job), or Photojournalism.

My dad, who is Army, tells me it's a better idea to go through the Army because they promote much faster and warrant officers are a thing, but I hear the Air Force has much better quality of life and desu I mostly like the idea of the benefits.. Any thoughts on Army vs Air Force, or insight on any of those jobs?
>>
>>28033534
depends on the airframe. Fighter pilots very rarely wear corrective lenses, though it's not unheard-of. Pilots and other flight crew of other planes commonly wear corrective lenses.

For nearly all eyesight-specified jobs in the military, they don't say you have to have 20/20 vision, they say your vision has to be correctable to 20/20. If you have astigmatism, for example, no eyeglasses can get you to full 20/20 vision (though surgery can).
>>
>>28033553
kek
>>
What did you do with your signing bonus? Is that money taxed or do you have to buy specific things with it?
As a 68W I get 5k after I finish job training and while that ain't shit it's still money that I'd like to be concious about
>>
>>28033826
Of course it's taxed. It's income, innit?
Also, the signing bonus is kind of like winning the lottery, in that you can take a smaller one time lump sum or spread it out over multiple payments.

Personally, I put all of mine in an index fund investment account and let it grow for me. Too many guys blew it on Harleys and/or fast cars.
>>
File: 1435628279170.gif (3 MB, 240x135) Image search: [Google]
1435628279170.gif
3 MB, 240x135
>mfw my 6 year mark in the Army is next month
>>
>>28033899
are you re-upping or are you done?
>>
>>28033343

Hope you got your shit together so you can GTFO and go civvy.
>>
>>28033909
I don't KNOW

I still have two years anyway
>>
>>28033929
It's a scary thing, bro.

When I finished up my contract, I was terrified that I'd end up in the exact same place that I started when I went in, just half a decade older.

Walking out the gates for that last time is very weird. Never mind that you're probably just a walking "unemployed veteran" meme.
>>
>>28032515
I was supposed to go up to meps to sign for 35f in the ng for rotc. However it turns out there are no 35 series slots left at ait for ng... Looking for a new mos so i can start school in the fall, any ideas? Preferablely something that will helo me learn some sort of useful technical skill in ait.
>>
>>28034085

If you're just in it for the college money while you're doing ROTC, it really doesn't matter much. If you go commission and then get out as an officer and need to fall back on whatever you learned at nastygirl AIT like ten years ago...you have bigger problems.
>>
>>28033451
What a cuter
>you will never be drilled by a 5 foot 100 lb DS
>>
>>28034116
Im not relying on my ait, i just want to do something neat where i can learn something.
>>
>>28034138
Found a 12Y slot open... /k/'s opinion?
>>
>>28034228
I wasn't aware of that MOS until right now. It sounds pretty cool imo
>>
>>28034228
Lots of drawing pictures, adding features to maps, sometimes making new maps. It's not really the same thing as an intel analyst, since the 12Y focuses nearly exclusively on satellite imagery and terrain.

You get to write a lot of briefs.
>>
>>28033303
>>28033341

Promotions, dawg.
>>
>>28034285
>>28034304
Seems like an interesting ait, even if its not 35.
From the slots ive found I considering 15W, 12Y, and 25B
>>
>>28033385
>Advancement to E5 is actually faster in the Navy if you test well

The Army has lower standards for time in grade as an E4 when compared to the Navy. Secondary zone to E5 in the Army is 18 months in service and 6 months in grade.
>>
Which branch would be my best option if I was charged with a felony (not convicted)?
>>
>>28034472
Pretty much any of them.

Charged but not convicted is just a case of mistaken identity on the part of the police.
>>
>>28034384

Dude was talking cryptolinguistics or cyber school. Navy gets E4 coming out of either of those, which is even faster than Army gets E4 unless they come in with a degree.
>>
>>28033247
>lost a ton of billets

What do you think prompted this?
>>
>>28034521
Are you sure? I thought I would have to get a moral waiver which isn't a guarantee at all.
>>
File: 1425444087470.jpg (80 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1425444087470.jpg
80 KB, 500x500
>there is people who actually join the military because of these threads
>>
>>28034531

The people that own those billets cut them. The people that own those billets were not the Army.
>>
>>28034578
Oh, you still have to disclose everything, but nearly everything short of sex crimes gets you waiver in practice
>>
>>28034528
Assuming you don't get a waiver, Army is 24 months to SPC. If you go to DLI for any cat 4 language, you'll meet that before you get to your first unit.
>>
>>28034588
I doubt that. I think it's more of a case of people who already want to join the military trying to get as much advice/information as possible before making the leap.
>>
>>28034601

Correct, and if you have a shorter DLI you won't. The Navy will give you E4 for a shorter DLI or for JCAC (which is only 6 months). The Navy gets you to E4 and E5 much faster in those two career fields.
>>
File: 1398448471202.jpg (21 KB, 218x265) Image search: [Google]
1398448471202.jpg
21 KB, 218x265
>>28033553
It's shit like this that makes me realize me hitting 20 just last week is actually a big improvement over where I was (doing NONE). I'm going to MEPS in two days for the AF, and I've got close to 30 AFSCs that I like the sound of. Should I just give them all up, or is there a max limit to what you can put on your list. There is no way I am doing Open General, I ain't that stupid. But is it there a "best" way to do it, or will it depend on what my recruiter wants me to do?
>>
>>28034599
If I actually did do the crime, what would be my best route? Owning up to it and saying that I've moved on as a person or saying that they had the wrong guy? I'm assuming they assume that I'm guilty until proven innocent.
>>
>>28034649
>The Navy gets you to E4 and E5 much faster in those two career fields.

Assuming that you test well and are actually selected. E4 in the Army is an automatic promotion and non-competitive.

E5 for 35P varies on language.

E5 and E6 for 35Q right now are automatic, meaning instant promotion once you hit the requirements. That would be E6 at 48 months in service.
>>
>>28034588
These aren't Join the Military threads, it's people who already want to join discussing their options
>>
>>28034709
You dumb as fuck.
>>
>>28034728
>E5 and E6 for 35Q right now are automatic, meaning instant promotion once you hit the requirements. That would be E6 at 48 months in service

Check again, bruh, points for both E5 and E6 are maxed this month for 35Q. Even when CLI promotions are in effect, you don't get automatically promoted the second you enter the primary zone, that isn't how CLI promotions work. You also have to have attended the appropriate level of NCOES in order to promote, as of the first of January, which is another hoop the Navy doesn't have to jump through.

A Navy CTN can test right out of JCAC and be an E5 at around a year TIS.
>>
>>28034588
I think most people who come here are already considering it. These threads wouldn't just make people arbitrarily want to join.
>>
>>28034809
True, I'm a CTT and my classmate is making E-5 in March after roughly 13 months TIS (Although technically he wont be getting paid for it until later.) I'll be getting E-4 around the same time. (I came in E-1, he came in E-3.)
>>
>>28034760
I don't understand
>>
>>28034956
You didn't do it fucktard.
>>
>>28034956
Unless you are going for a TS clearance then just mention the charge and the fact you weren't convicted and that's that.
>>
>>28034809
>Check again, bruh

You'll see that there's only 3 people not promoted because every other person got promoted last month.

>that isn't how CLI promotions work

I didn't say anything about CLI. Besides, they fall under an entirely different TIS and TIG standard. Which of course you knew already.

>You also have to have attended the appropriate level of NCOES

Oh noes skool. I'll have to go to a local 2 week course, the horror.
>>
>>28035027

>I didn't say anything about CLI. Besides, they fall under an entirely different TIS and TIG standard. Which of course you knew already.

CLI is the closest thing the Army has to "automatic" promotions beyond E4. Minimum points just means one of the three things you need to get promoted is taken care of, you still need NCOES and unit recommendation.

>Oh noes skool. I'll have to go to a local 2 week course, the horror.

It isn't that NCOES is hard, it is that you actually have to schedule it and get there. It isn't local to everyone, and the wait list can be long, not to mention it can interfere with other training. It is a hoop to jump through, and one that will delay quite a few otherwise promotable E4s getting to E5.
>>
File: navy.jpg (1 MB, 4288x2848) Image search: [Google]
navy.jpg
1 MB, 4288x2848
>>28032515
What is the life of a Surface Warfare Officer in the Navy like? Is it incredibly competitive and difficult to become one? I am currently a masters student at a major American university studying international relations and can speak both Russian and Persian languages. Do surface warfare officers often get a shot at BUDS too if they apply for it?
>>
>>28034821

They make me want to join. I love these threads, only reason I go on /k/.
>>
>>28032515
2 Year USMC Infantry, ask away /k/omrades
>>
How does the Army view asthma? It was bad while I was a kid, but now I can exercise and strain my body's limit without worrying about that shit anymore. I'd like to join but my buddy said it might be difficult with that type of history. Will I need a waiver from my doc or will they just flat out deny my form?
>>
>>28035091

Are you going to apply for special forces? Preferably outside of the marines?
>>
>>>>28035091
Rah
>>
>>28035107

Asthma will disqualify you if you have had it as an adult. You should be fine as long as you have had no symptoms since you were a little kid (<13).
>>
>>28035070
fuck that, fuck everything about surface. go to bud/s

>>28035091
you're a janitor. there's nothing worth mentioning about your 'work'
>>
>>28033514
that is pathetic.

go take a hard look at yourself in the mirror.
>>
>>28035139
Cant just apply for bud/s as an officer. Plan to do some time as a surface warfare officer first then putting in for bud/s. Why fuck surface warfare? What do you think of Submarine officer?
>>
>>28035134
While I didn't show symptoms, my parents still had me prescribed simple asthma medication and a rescue inhaler just in case even after the doctor told them not to worry. Still, they prescribed it when I was 13, and I finally stopped a while after 14.
>>
>>28035139
Yea. Why Fuck everything about surface warfare?
>>
>>28035191
>>28035070
You do not want to be on a sub, the only people who will say you should are those who are stuck and need people to replace them. Sure you get a little extra sub pay and advancement is slightly easier. But when you are talking transferable skills and being a well-rounded sailor, go surface war or intel if you can get it.
>>
>>28035070
Why would a surface warfare officer get sent to BUD/S? You're commanding a ship, not doing underwater demolition. However, I hear it is a very tough job with long hours and a long list of qualifications to complete while you're at sea.
>>
>>28035245
Not him, but from the research I've done it doesn't sound very different, in terms of stress and amount of studies/qualifications, from nuke.
>>
>>28035259
You cant just apply to be a seal or EOD officer though. So you have to spend a few years in before you apply for buds if you wanna be an officer right? What would you usually be if not a surface warfare officer?

>>28035247
Do intel guys get to spend any time aboard ships or are they mostly just working stateside?

>>28035276
What do you mean nuke? Like nuclear submarine?
>>
>>28035191
how are you going to build up the demanding physical endurance for bud/s if you're going to be constantly hassled with the long hours as a SWO? you'll have less time for yourself onboard. give your everything to bud/s
>>
>>28035317
... how am i supposed to do that as an officer. I am asking you for the answers lol. You cant just apply to be a SEAL officer as a civilian. I was under the impression that you have to spend time as an officer before applying first. What do you recommend to do then?
>>
>>28035335

> What do you recommend to do then?

If your goal in life is to be a cool guy, enlist. The commissioned path to being an oper8tor, regardless of service, is unreliable and based much more on factors outside your control.
>>
>>28035298
For intel officers they usually end up spending most of their time either: Aboard a ship directing the crypto guys or overseas as part of a joint task force. Being an operator and stuff is cool, but if you want to provide for yourself in 10 years and have a cake job at the NSA/FBI/CIA then go Intel.
>>
>>28035110
Fuck no, I'm Done
.>>28035128
Err
>>28035139
You're right. You're 100% Right
>>
>>28035395
I am getting a masters degree in literally the top international relations program on the planet. I am going to become an officer if I join. So if one were to become a SEAL officer, how would one do it.

>>28035399
Joint task force as in working with other governments and such?
>>
>>28035395
So he'd enlist, go through boot, break an ankle in buds prep. and go to the fleet designated instead of taking on a commission?
>>
>>28035335
Look there's always room to be some fuckface bureaucrat deep tonguing higher's in staff meetings.

BUT
You, only have ONE chance in your youth(well, 3 tries before age 30) to give your life(and exploding knees) to be a NSW operator.

Make your decision
>>
>>28035107
Don't tell them, you retard. Don't you know anything?
>>
>>28035441
There is some work with local governments but the main cooperation is between branches. As with all military jobs though, your first year or two is going to be kinda pointless shit until you can get good orders.
>>
>>28035446

Exactly. I'm not saying he shouldn't commission for that cushy life and sweet pay, I'm saying if being a SEAL is his primary goal then commissioning is a shitty way to get there.
>>
>>28035495
You are an idiot. If he has the chance to become a SEAL officer, why would he take enlisted over that. Dingus
>>
So what are some decent computer or intel-related jobs in the Air Force that will give someone usable skills once they get out?
>>
>>28035576

1B4 is what you want.
>>
>>28035552
welp, it's anon's decision in life after all.

I'm going to sleep
>>
>>28035552
>>28035616
It's basically like working at a McDonald's and instead of taking a general manager position you come in a a fry cook just because you want all the other fry cooks and cashiers to like you....pointless, and a waste of at least 2 years.
>>
>>28035591
I'm curious about the other ones. They might not be as good, but are there any that should be absolutely avoided? Ones that will leave you will jack all shit if you don't go the extra mile and take classes/do certification on your own time?
>>
>>28035298
Nuke=nuclear operator, they run the nuclear powerplants on carriers and subs. Famous for being difficult and stressful but also typically making even more money than most officers.
>>
>>28035552
SEAL officers go on a limited amount of missions before being moved to an administrative position. If you want to operate, it's the enlisted guys that run the teams.
>>
>>28035671
Yes, but he wants to come in as an officer, he doesn't have a degree in physics or chemistry, so he would likely make a bad Nuclear Officer and he doesn't want to go enlisted. Honestly he should talk with a local recruiter who will get him in touch with Officer recruiters and they'll be able to check if he's even qualified to commission.
>>
>>28035056
>Minimum points just means one of the three things you need to get promoted is taken care of, you still need NCOES and unit recommendation.

Everyone passes the unit board unless they're a complete shitbag.
>>
>>28035902
But we don't even need to attend a board that just adds more time and difficulty in advancement. Navy has the fastest E-1 to E-5 Advancement that I've seen. I'm not saying the Army is shit, but you just have to jump through more hoops to make Sgt compared to 2nd Class Petty Officer.
>>
Any Navy on? I'm trying to decide if I want to accept the Accelerated Advancement deal. I could jump up to E4 and I'd have to extend for a year. What are people's opinions on push buttons? Idk it just seems like a Petty Officer should have something to show for it. I don't want to be a third class and not know wtf I'm talking about.
>>
>>28035712
What? Where did you get the meaning that I was telling him to be a nuclear officer? My point was that SWO is supposed to have a very high workload and stress level, similar to nuke. I wrongly assumed that he was already familiar with navy nuke.
>>
>>28036148
For the Accelerated Advancement contracts one thing that I see a lot of is that people don't realize or aren't told that unless you come in as an E-3 on top of it (You will get E-2 for signing) you will still have to wait your time in rate (9 months to E-3 and 6 months of time as E-3) before you are promoted. And there is literally no reason to be concerned about making rank faster than others, it's just something that happens, why wouldn't you want more money and better benefits? At worst some salty BM2 who has been in for 8 years will call you a 2nd class boot because you made it in under 2 years. Are you thinking about CT, IT, or FC rates? those and Nukes are the only ones I know of with push button.
>>
>>28033588
>Space System Operations

Shit nigga, that's what I'm hoping to get too
>>
>>28036306
Holy shit fuck that then. I'm getting E2 in 2 months anyway. I thought I'd get bumped up to E3 until it was time to get frocked as E4. Yeah, I dunno. I just respect the Seaman with a warfare pin over the third class 6y with 2 ribbons. But that's a training command environment for you I guess.
>>
>>28036540
Sure, but at the same time, 90% of the E-3 with warfare pins are undes. deck department, which is vital yes..but also where some of the stupidest individuals in the Navy are.In most of the 'good' (technical) rates you'll make E-4 before finishing a warfare device.
>>
Have any of you guys ever experienced "tunnel vision" and some serious fight or flight bits while working out?

I experienced it today for the first time, like the onset of a panic attack sort of, and I had to sit down between sets/reps to finish my workout instead of just pacing back and forth like usual. I guess I can relate it to a panic attack.

Any idea how to stop it dead in it's tracks or whatever? I want to nip this now before I ship out for basic. This is the only time this has happened, and fuck I wasn't even doing a ridiculous workout, but holy Jesus. Not something I want to experience again.

Could it have been my diet? About 1 hour prior my breakfast was 2 bananas, and a plain uncooked bagel with nothing on it and 2 water bottles.
>>
Im shipping out this tuesday air force open electric. Dont sugar coat it, am i fucked?
>>
>>28035685
That's seems like a waste of training.
>>
>>28036723
>About 1 hour prior my breakfast
Derp, meant one hour prior to my breakfast, my workout was what I said.
>>
>>28035961
>But we don't even need to attend a board that just adds more time and difficulty in advancement.

Think of it as a substitute for tests, except you only have to do it once per rank.
>>
>>28036653
Very good point. I appreciate the perspective. But still, wow what an awful deal. One of those fine print things I guess. They make it sound like you're rocking a chevron the next day.
>>
>>28036778
I'm still just curious as to which rate you are.
>>
>>28033922
Did that back in Feb. Got a nice job doing IT work, own a house on 10 acres of pecans outright, and my inactive time is up in July.

Life is good.
>>
>>28032515
Kill yourself, commie bastard.
>>>/adv/
>>>/b/
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>28036744
>not open general
Nah you'll be fine. Are you mentally ready though, trainee? I finished BMT this July, ask me anything.
>>
>>28036972
Not him, but how in shape were you before BMT?

What's a good mindset to have, and how was the experience for you?
>>
Is 22 too old? Going to try to take my test this week, anything I should be studying up on?
>>
Anybody have job in Space System Operations or
Missile and Space Systems Maintenance in the Air Force?

How is it?
>>
>>28036995
I was kind of a lazy shit prior to getting in, although I did like running so I never had problems with running PT days. Situps were my nemesis though, with the shitty way the Air Force makes you do them on the PT tests. I made the bare minimum for those. Just prepare to drink a LOT of water, even in wintertime. I don't really know about winter BMT except that it actually gets cold enough to the point that you might be doing the graduation parade in full service dress with gloves and a big ol' raincoat w/liner over it.

A good mindset to have is that you should never take any of the criticism given to you by a TI personally, and get used to teamwork, you WILL NOT pass through BMT with a lone wolf mentality. Don't be afraid to ask your buddies for help and be willing to help whenever you're needed. Another thing to consider is that you'll see a lot of your flightmates asking older trainees "when does it get better?" It DOESN'T get better, YOU get better. Also don't be a shitbag and have some pride when you march, I hated seeing trainees and tech schoolers who just shuffled in formation.

My experience with it was that it could have been tougher, but at the same time a lot of it was what you make of it. Don't get me wrong, it really does suck at times, but by the end of it it will all just be funny to you and you'll look back on Basic with nostalgia if you made good friends with your wingmen.

Any other questions? I can tell you what to avoid, what is more important when it comes to inspections, etc.,
>>
>>28037249
Well I haven't gone through MEPS yet, but I'm skinny as shit and have been pretty lazy.

I think I can do okay with running, although I'm working on it anyway. I need to improve my sit-ups and push-ups; any solid advice for building them up?

>I can tell you what to avoid, what is more important when it comes to inspections

Those too, if you don't mind.
>>
>>28037412
>any solid advice for building them up?
For pushups, the only way to get better at them is to do them, doing some other exercise that gets your arms bigger won't make you better at them. I wouldn't worry about them though, you get plenty of time to build them up during training itself, and you can do them too while your flight is waiting to eat chow, which I'll bring up later. Situps, just do cross-knee crunches for at least 10 minutes every day, you'll get abs in no time.

Now for the chow thing: do NOT volunteer for chow runner. Your TI might say something to your flight in zero week like "who here likes to eat" and the first two to raise their hand will be chow runners. You do NOT want this, because they have to go to the snake pit and say the exact same bullshit every meal, every day, and if they so much as don't like the way you blinked or twitched a bit, you get yelled at, which only makes you more liable to screw up. Try to volunteer for laundry crew, it's cake compared to most of the other details your flight will get, take it from me who was part of the latrine crew.

Don't do dumb shit that seems funny just because you heard about it, like a prank called gargoyleing (you'll find out what that is when you get there) or playing grabass in the showers. Never be afraid to look a TI right in their eyes, they hate meekness more than actual screwups. Inspections, you will learn to hate strings more than anything else, and your sand T-shirts will be the hardest thing to make look good. Making your bed is easy stuff compared to the wall locker autism the TIs have.
>>
>>28037486
Thanks anon. I'm just kind of worried I might get sacked for being scrawny.

I'm working on exercising as early as possible.
>>
Is it naive to look to the military as a means to see the world?

I mean I'm 23 and am just doing my 2nd semester of college but I have no real plan.

I am mostly interested in the air force because I got to fly an airplane at aviation camp when I was younger and it was a good experience. (Although I'm aware I probably wouldn't actually be able to fly considering my eyesight).

I have never left home really or traveled to any far place other than just a few states away. Mainly interested in going to South Korea and Japan.

I lack any real discipline or direction and its something I want.
>>
>>28037209
I know this one fag who always gets his video posted of getting his weeaboo as fuck room inspected used to be a missileer, but he's not in the AF anymore. The most I've heard about that career field is that they tend to be huge shitbags because their bases tend to be out in the middle of nowhere and there's nothing to fucking do outside the base. Why anyone would ever want to go to Minot is beyond me.
>>28037568
Nah you'll be fine, the AF would rather have you be auschwitzmode over being a lardass. I knew so many guys that came in as skinny little shits and were still able to do the 33 pushups minimum in one minute by the end.
>>
GarandThumb where you at?

Interested in SERE, seems fucking awesome.
>>
File: 2zstogi.jpg (116 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
2zstogi.jpg
116 KB, 1024x768
>>28037792
I actually found out something interesting from my friend who was an Army EOD. He went to SERE School and only made it 9 hours in from being waterboarded, he wasn't even the first to quit. 3 out of the 24 who tried actually graduated. According to him apparently they are allowed to break a bone in your body which is interesting. I haven't looked into SERE before so I'm not sure how accurate that is though.
>>
>>28037575
>I lack any real discipline or direction and its something I want.

>Airforce

you'll fit right in, but no Stargate for you
>>
>>28038288
>Stargate
crap, that sounds cool
>>
>>28038273
That's actually true.

I have a cousin who's wife went to SERE.

She said they could break small bones(Fingers toes, etc.) just no large ones like arms or legs.

Pretty fucking brutal from what she told me.

Do SERE instructors have to go through SERE?
>>
File: 1448842400995.jpg (22 KB, 189x190) Image search: [Google]
1448842400995.jpg
22 KB, 189x190
My assessment day is coming up boys.
wish me luck

also, Quick question.
ive got some nasty sweat rash from how hard ive been pushing myself lately

will this result in me not being allowed into the military just because i put ass cream on in the afternoon?
>>
>>28038529
You'll be fine if it is only rash from sweating
>>
>>28037412
Also consider doing this exercise
>lay down on your belly
>at the command go get up and sprint 10m (~32ft) and turn around and return to your starting position
>Lay down and clap your hands behind your back
>repeat 5 times
>at rep 5 just run past the turning point
This will help building up stamina and doing push ups
>>
>>28036450
Satelite supervision, nuke targeting, gps related stuff
>>
How much money, roughly, could one expect to bring home monthly after taxes/deductions as an E-1?
>>
>>28036723
>>28036756
>>28036756
>>28036723
HALP
>>
File: 1446881842320.jpg (417 KB, 2048x1224) Image search: [Google]
1446881842320.jpg
417 KB, 2048x1224
>>28038685
None, its gonna go towards strippers and you know it
>>
>>28036810
I'm a CTR, sorry.
>>
>>28038685
Your paychecks will seriously be like $500. E1 pay is garbage but you get promoted out of it fast.
>>
File: 1446807019757.jpg (14 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1446807019757.jpg
14 KB, 320x240
>>28038821
so, as i said

strippers and MAYBE booze

its not like you're paying rent while living in the barracks
>>
What about becoming an officer?

My Dad was an Air Force pilot... I'm currently getting my commercial pilots license.

I'd like to be an Air Force pilot too.
>>
File: 1446409133661.jpg (83 KB, 769x687) Image search: [Google]
1446409133661.jpg
83 KB, 769x687
>>28038860
how tall are you?
>>
>>28038873
5'10", why?
>>
File: 1447041648290.jpg (133 KB, 385x509) Image search: [Google]
1447041648290.jpg
133 KB, 385x509
>>28038882
you'll be fine then

they look for short fellas when to comes to pilots
>>
>>28039158
They don't "look" for anyone, in the sense that they're not going to discriminate against you for beign tall..

With that being said a short, stocky, muscular guy would be the best pilot, G force tolerance wise.
>>
>>28038685
Depends too much to tell, because base pay is not much. It'll be the special pays and BAH that make the difference to an E1.
>>
>>28038821
$500 is fine if you eat the dfac and shit.
>>
>>28032515
do coast guard maritime enforcement see combat
>>
>>28033431
>http://strawpoll.me/4671253
Hell ya you could. We had a shit ton of fat assess, lazy people, and douchebags in bootcamp and they all made it through just fine. Nobody got dropped for behavior or weight reasons, just a few for medical (stress fractures, pneumonia and cancer). I made it through bootcamp and MCT. Now at MOS school in Fort Lee, Virginia, which is an Army base.
>>
>>28033588
As a marine stationed at an Army base, I can tell you that the Army has a better quality of life than the marines do so the airforce must be fucking great.
>>
File: 1427719299110.jpg (10 KB, 234x220) Image search: [Google]
1427719299110.jpg
10 KB, 234x220
>>28039587
To bad Australia doesn't have a Marine corps, otherwise id be all over that shit in an instant

>Be Ausfag
>be Enlisting for Army infantry
>>
File: 1408587176326.png (587 KB, 680x497) Image search: [Google]
1408587176326.png
587 KB, 680x497
>>28035091
Semper fi....I'm living the POG life right now lol.
>>
>>28037575
No. I'm 23 and wanted to get out of the midwest so I left my welding career and joined the usmc. I was hoping to continue welding in the usmc but got the 2111 small arms repair mos instead...oh well. I'm hoping to get stationed in Cali. However we have a whole division of Marines in Okinawa if that is your thing.
>>
File: snöskoter.png (663 KB, 1040x773) Image search: [Google]
snöskoter.png
663 KB, 1040x773
Will be joining Swedish military hopefully around September when I move back to the country. Interestingly they might change the current 3 month basic (GMU) to a 9-12 month program instead similar to how it used to work back during the days of conscription, which would be preferable in my opinion.
>I want to shoot an m249 off a moving snowmobile
>>
>>28039288
>mfw my take-home as an E-4 was $2000 after deductions and retirement.
>>
>>28039664
>mfw i spent it all on Strippers and a new car.
>>
>>28039691
>mfw I spent it all on steam games I never played
>>
>>28039664
>E-5 in Hawaii
>2886 every two weeks.
>>
>>28039709
>mfw you will never have enough cash to play steam games with strippers
>>
How come the Army doesn't have a weather officer position like the Navy and Air Force? Do they just rely on the other branches for that?
>>
>>28040129
That or they out source it.
>>
>>28040129
>>28040129
I think they do but it's listed under some other MOS that doesn't sound related to that at all.
>>
What is the primary role of tanks in a modern western army?

Are they there to support infantry? Augment their firepower? Infantry there to support them?

Just very interested in armored warfare.
>>
>>28040129
Flight ops
>>
>>28038273
I've heard the bone thing is a myth.

>>28038370
>do SERE instructors have to go through SERE
Are you fucking retarded

>>28039452
I'm pretty sure they actually see more combat than the Army and Marines, because there are more pirates and criminals than there are enemy militants. They raid hijacked ships and shit.

>>28040129
What is the Navy weather position? I want to do weather but was figuring I was stuck with only Air Force, if Navy has a weather officer career I'd like to investigate it as well.
>>
>>28039664
E2 with the GI bill option...$642 every 2 weeks
>>
Osan, Yokota, or Misawa?
>>
Anyone else going to MEPS tomorrow for their ASVAB? Slim chance, but I thought I'd ask. What did you guys bring for entertainment, I have a book for during the actual medical stuff Wednesday, would it be odd if I brought my DS for tomorrow night though?
>>
>>28042917
Osan
>>
>>28043215
No. If you're talking about the hotel stay, my roommate brought a laptop was up playing fallout 3 until 2 in the morning.
>>
>>28043633
Yeah, that's what I was talking about, great, thanks. Devil Survivor Overclocked and the Complete Collection of Lovecraft outta get me through both days.
>my roommate brought a laptop was up playing fallout 3 until 2 in the morning.
I'd do this myself, but my laptop is on it's last legs and a trip in a backpack might kill it off. Also, it almost exclusively installed with porn games.
>>
>>28043672
>>28043672
>it almost exclusively installed with porn games

I like you
>>
>>28043672
>porn games
I hope you mean actual eroge and not some other horrifying shit I haven't heard of.
>>
>>28040391
As far as conventional warfare goes they're useful for punching a hole through a weak point in the enemy front so that a force of mechanized infantry can push through and attack the enemy's rear. That is at least what they're best at, but a lot of the time they're sent to just wipe out other tank forces. They're just one part of the entire combined arms approach that has been developed over the past century.

>Are they there to support infantry? Augment their firepower? Infantry there to support them?
Everybody supports each other. Without the tanks the infantry wouldn't be able to approach, and without infantry to hold ground the enemy could just encircle the tanks.

WW2 is when we got to see a lot of armored warfare doctrine put into practice, and really since then we haven't seen much as far as conventional forces duking it out.
>>
File: I shall venture carefully.jpg (57 KB, 586x438) Image search: [Google]
I shall venture carefully.jpg
57 KB, 586x438
>>28043889
No, I meant actual eroge. I mean, what else could there be? Is there another meaning to porn games? Is there an entire section of masturbation material I have not discovered?
>>
ANONS MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION

Since our military offers bonuses for referrals, why don't we get a thread going where 1 person refers the person below them, and as a result we give eachother an enlistment bonus?

I was talking with my recruiter about a website where it would be really simple/straightforward, so i thought I'd try here.

I'm joining the Army, I can refer anyone here because there are no restrictions afaik. Thoughts?? Should I start a thread?
>>
>>28040391
>What is the primary role of tanks in a modern western army?

The age of the tank as we know it is over. Since the end of the Cold War, the prospect of huge tank on tank battles is basically nil, since none of the countries that have huge amounts of tanks are ones that we're going to get into a war with anytime soon.
Another problem is that tanks have failed to keep up with anti-armor technology. A TOW or MILAN or whatever costs a lot less than a tank, but can kill one pretty easily.

Today, tanks are being used as a sort of fast self-propelled medium to light artillery. While the infantry attempts to clear out a city block, they may run into trouble, so a tank can quickly roll up and begin pounding the offending enemy position.
>>
>>28043974
If you're a marine you get a sweet gym bag after getting 3 referrals. 5 gets you a promotion, but you can get that same promotion if you've completed 15 units at a college.
>>
>>28043999
Do you also get the gym bag if you complete 15 college credits?
>>
>>28044012
No, but you do get the satisfaction of being smarter than the majority of enlisted marines
>>
>>28043999
Is it like a duffel bag or a drawstring bag? I got a drawstring bag with MARINES across it by filling out a postcard suggesting I might be interested in the Marines. I never even talked to the recruiter that tried to contact me.
>>
>>28044110
Yeah that's it. I think it's up to the recruiter's discretion for what reason the bag is handed out
>>
What's the deal with deployments?

I've been told by several people to join the Guard over the Active duty Army, because its the same training and I get to keep my day job/where I live, which I don't mind.

On the other hand, is it true that Rangers are still deploying? Or is that untrue? I know your standard infantry units are sitting around doing nothing.

If anything were to kick off, what do the Guard infantry units do vs the Active infantry units?
>>
>>28044288
>On the other hand, is it true that Rangers are still deploying?

Moreso than regular units (who aren't deploying at all) but even the Rangers have slowed way down on the optempo with the major conflicts ending.

Whether the Guard will return to regular deployments depends on how intense the new conflict that "kicks off" is.

Guard training opportunities definitely are not the same as Active Duty training opportunities, but if you value your day job it may be better to be a part-timer.
>>
>>28043215
Oh, I wasn't sure if I should bring any entertainment to MEPS
>>
>>28044337

Do the Guard get deployed at all during peacetime?

I've heard of Guard units getting sent all over the world, but I thought that was something only Active units did.
>>
>>28044475
They don't typically, they didn't traditionally, but there are existing efforts to bring the Army and the Army National Guard closer together.

These last wars have demonstrated that the US didn't really have the manpower to fight the kind of wars that Iraq and Afghanistan ended up being.

So when the Army cuts back to 450,000 active duty troops, the National Guard will likely expand. Future deployments won't use the Guard as an "Oh shit, the regular guys are all worn-out" but more like a second wave.
>>
>>28044034
Setting the bar low there
>>
What's a fun job to pick in the Air Force
>>
>>28044976
Security Forces :)
>>
>>28044976
Security Forces.
>>
I've heard that 74D is one of the most boring, if not the most boring, MOS in the army. If that's the case, what the fuck do CBRN Officers do besides command their boring ass unit?
>>
>>28044976
Security Forces. :^)
>>
>>28035070
there is some copy pasta floating around how being a junior fleet officer is terrible, you have to be on the brig for watch, command a section, and study for your quals all while underway.
>>
>>28045032
Someone's gotta do it.

They train, keep their certs up to date and that's about it.

They still do get work, particularly with chemical spills on the home front.
>>
>>28045032
CBRN officers end up as bitches in the operations shops of non-CBRN units. That officer picks up all the terrible tasks that nobody else wants.
>>
>>28045032

CBRN enlisted get assigned enlisted bitchwork since they have no real job.

CBRN officers just get the officer equivalent - branch immaterial staff duties. They get put in S3 and oversee training or whatnot.
>>
Any Australian Navy people here? Either already in or hopeful?
>>
>>28041095
I'm pretty slow.

I really have no idea if they do kek
>>
>>28041095
Enlisted Weather: Aerographer's Mate
http://www.navy.com/careers/information-and-technology/aerographers-mate.html#ft-key-responsibilities

Officer Weather: Meteorology & Oceanography http://www.navy.com/careers/information-and-technology/meteorology-oceanography.html
>>
>>28045181
>>28045183

Unless, you know, they are in a CBRNE unit
>>
What are some key differences between the functions of a armor unit and a field artillery unit?
>>
>>28044976
Airframe maintenance is really cool if you're into that. Space operations is cool but very competitive because it's desirable.
>>
>>28045306
thanks friend
Anyone know how important a relevant degree is to weather officer? Do you just need a STEM degree with a decent GPA or does it have to be in oceanography/meteorology?
>>
File: 048.jpg (164 KB, 620x877) Image search: [Google]
048.jpg
164 KB, 620x877
>>28037486
>Not wanting to get the hardest job in order to get the most out of your training
All of my shiggy's
>>
>>28045416
Human Shield vs Big Guns
>>
>>28045416
There's a considerable amount of overlap to be sure, but their main differences are in terms of firepower (artillery has more) and speed (armor has more).

Artillery companies don't move as much once they establish a position and begin their barrage. Armored companies have to be constantly on the move since they are much closer to the infantry they are supporting and they can't stay still for too long before someone pops them with a TOW rocket.

Artillery, being safely far enough from the battlefield, don't have to worry about this, so even the self-propelled guns have fairly light armor.
>>
>>28045416
Well, one operates armor and the other operates artillery. Not sure what you're asking.
>>
What's better, combat engineer or EOD?
>>
>>28045507
EOD is a subset of combat engineer.

As a former combat engineer (though not EOD) I can assure you it is a fun, interesting, and incredibly stressful job at times.
>>
>>28045498
Thanks. I see a lot of forum posts and etc saying that artillery soldiers usually have some sort of hearing loss by the time they're usually done with the army. So why don't they get issued the CVC helmet (or whatever standard issue is) to protect their hearing? Sure it might look silly, but I would rather have my hearing than look cool to my squad mates.
>>
>>28045333
Of the 336 billets for CBRN lieutenants on active duty, only 77 are platoon leaders in chemical units.

For captains, there are 282 slots. 44 are in chemical units.

What do you think of those odds?
>>
>>28045587
Actually, it's pretty common among all soldiers. War is loud. American artillery soldiers are issued hearing protection and are ordered to wear it, but it only does so much.

I got lucky in that I escaped without any major hearing loss, but I have mild tinnitus. It basically constantly sounds like there's a radio tuned to static in the next room over.
>>
>>28045587
Most military hearing loss is due to soldiers simply not using hearing protection.
>>
>>28045645
Oh man, that really scares me. I'd love to serve, but hearing loss really scares me for some reason.
>>
>>28045685
>have fetish for deaf girls
>terrified of going deaf myself
It's an odd feeling.
>>
>>28045685

So pick a job with less of a chance of hearing loss?

As anon up there said, most hearing loss is due to ear protection being fucking annoying to wear and young service members simply not giving a shit. These are the same dumbasses that mod their car stereos and blast their music on the highway, that shit fucks your hearing just as surely as artillery fire.
>>
>>28045685
>>28045719
The hearing loss is annoying, but I'm lucky in that my hearing sensitivity is still excellent. There were plenty of numbnuts in my section who refused to even cover their ears when a demo charge was being detonated.

>You think this is a fucking Michael Bay movie? You want me to give you enough notice so you can slowly walk away when this thing goes off?

The tinnitus is the worst, though. You can hear it even when you're under water. Permanent noise in your ears.
>>
>>28045498
Artillery is currently undergoing a bit of a transformation into something akin to close air support.
A shell is a lot cheaper than a missile or a bomb, and an artillery company costs a lot less to run than an aircraft sortie.
Modern artillery research is directed towards the creation of smart shells that will place support close to where soldiers need it, rather than the traditional artillery barrage approach "make a box and everything in it will cease to be. Don't be in the box when you hear a loud whistling."
>>
>Taking physical
>Can't take a piss when it's needed
>Have to be back within three days or I'm disqualified for 180 days
Just fuck my shit up.
>>
>>28046208
Realize that you'll need to piss while a meatgazer watches you about a half-dozen times before you get to your first unit, and at random for the rest of your time in.
>>
>>28046208
>>28046369
The military knows what a shy bladder is.

Just down a full bottle of water or two beforehand. It doesn't do shit to dilute away any drugs that are in your system anyway.

However, joining the military is about overcoming fears. If you can get over little fears like peeing in public, then you can surely get over big fears like being shot at.
>>
Current college senior here. I have a shitty GPA (2.55), and I'd like to go to OCS, but I fear I'd get stuck in a shitty job as an officer with a shitty GPA and a Political Science degree.

Do you guys think I should go for a shitty officer job like logistics, or go for something more fun as an E-4?

Either way, I'm pretty set on joining and getting my student loans knocked out.
>>
>>28045531
It may be different in other countries, but in the US, EOD is absolutely not a "subset" of Combat Engineer.

It's an entirely separate career path and a job with a different mission. The only similarities are that both jobs involve explosives.
>>
>>28046564
You might not be competitive for OCS at all with 2.55. If you're in it for the money, though, definitely give it a shot.
>>
>>28045004
>>28045009
>>28045081
I don't get this meme
>>
>>28045473
What comic is this from?
>>
>>28045473
>most out of your training
>getting into a position that only gives you more headaches during boot and nobody in the operational Air Force ever cares about
You're like tech school ropes who thinks that they'll be able to put that shit on their EPR.
>>
>>28046564
All OCS jobs are shitty OCS jobs. They, by definition, get what's left over.

Source: OCS officer with 2.54 GPA
>>
college fag here

if i join the air force reserve, does it pay for tuition cost?
>>
>>28046564
I'm in the same boat. Junior 2.87 GPA in economics. My chances of Navy and Air Force are pretty slim and Army's officer spots aren't very ideal to me. You could have a shot at the Marines as they seem the weigh GPA the least out of all the branches (and weigh more heavily on your push ups/1.5 mile time/pull ups/sit ups).

Being a scrub officer seems less ideal than being able to pick you want with the option of being able to become an officer later. Plus the high speed shit is enlisted and you're only in peak physical condition once...
>>
>>28047054

What do you do now?

Are you going to go back to school once you get out? From what I can tell, I can both get the Army to pay for my first college degree, and then use to post-9/11 GI bill to go back and get a masters, or a bachelors in a STEM field.

>>28047084
>and you're only in peak physical condition once

Ah yeah, that's true.
>>
File: 10thmtn.jpg (104 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
10thmtn.jpg
104 KB, 480x720
How difficult is it to get into the 10th Mountain Division?
>>
>>28047116
>What do you do now?
Admin.

1/3rd of my OCS class got transportation, 1/3rd got field artillery, and 1/3rd got admin. At total random. No trading.

You've been warned.

>Are you going to go back to school once you get out?

Not getting out. Traded the rest of my life for a new job. Just finished my first masters, and I start my second in two years.
>>
>>28047184
Super easy: Just tell the army that you want to be stationed in the worst fucking places possible. Boom, you're on your way to earning your mountain tab.
>>
>>28047184
>do you enjoy being cold as fuck
>yes
>you're in
>>
>>28047258
Not the guy you're responding to, I thought everyone got a say in what their rating/mos/etc was in the military?
Do they really assign you a job if you go through OCS?
>>
>>28047333

Well, you get to choose your OCS MOS when you go to MEPS, but according to anon, and what I've read, there's not much choice beyond that.
>>
>>28047258
>You've been warned.

That's anon.

I'm still going to go for it, I think. The alternative is making roughly the same amount of money in hotel management, but having to pay rent and an extra $40,000 student loan bill.
>>
>>28047383

*thanks anon
>>
>>28047184
Get into?

It's just an infantry unit, like any other. It's not like they have a selection process.
>>
>>28047333
You fill out a form that lists your preferred branches in order. There are a few rules to it; when I came in, one of your top 3 had to be combat if you were male. I put armor as my 3rd, and assumed that's what I'd get.

BACK IN MY DAY, (had to say it) that form went into a shredder somewhere, and we just got assigned shit.

Today, halfway through Army OCS, you get to pick based on your rank in the class. At that point in class, your rank is entirely based on the physical stuff you do in the first three weeks of the course, because you haven't really done anything academic or leadership yet.

The trick is, you can only pick from what's available. This is how they decide what's available: They look at the schedule for officer training classes, and fill every seat that's empty. You get the leftovers after ROTC and USMA, and based on the time of the year and a bunch of other shit, your list of available stuff to choose from is probably entirely garbage. Or maybe there's something good on there, you never know. Total random.

>>28047356
This fag is correct, I enlisted for MOS 09S. That's what I was guaranteed, and I got it.
>>
>>28047449
Sounds kind of shit desu
So the most likely thing is that you get assigned a mega POG position like admin or something?
Damn.
>>
>>28047383
Pretty sure that federal OCS won't repay your loans.
>>
>>28047488
No, most likely you get a branch that requires shitloads of lieutenants and isn't sexy. So transportation, air defense, chemical, and field artillery.

Branches like admin need very few lieutenants and are in reasonably high demand so they are less likely to be available.
>>
>>28047383
>I'm still going to go for it, I think.

Good. You may actually make it past your OCS board with that attitude.

Most people join to do a specific thing, because cawadoody or whatever. That kind of mentality will lead to an unhappy and shitty officer, because that's not what officers do.

Oh, you're a highspeed infantry officer doing cool shit? Well, that's nice, because your next job is on the division staff. Enjoy 18 months of meetings, powerpoint, and operations orders. Enjoy being in a high speed unit? Think airborne wings and a ranger tab will keep you there? Nope, you just got PCS'ed to a training base to babysit.

That's how it goes on the O side. It's always something new, and every time you change positions or duty stations your job is entirely different. For me, that's fucking fantastic, because I get bored very easily.
>>
>>28047689

Thanks for the advice anon.

How long did it take you to actually ship to basic after initially talking to your recruiter/going to MEPS?
>>
>>28047737
I joined in 2007, so you're going to need to get some info from someone newer to get useful info on the pre-commissioning side of things.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.