[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/meg/ - Military Enlistment General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20
File: marineskis.jpg (199 KB, 1381x920) Image search: [Google]
marineskis.jpg
199 KB, 1381x920
/MEG/ Military Enlistment General

OP template
http://pastebin.com/sb5Gv1dW

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253

Ask questions, answer questions, bitch about recruiters. Just keep it contained to this general.
>>
>>28011812
So I've got to go in before the 4th and choose my 3 new MOS options from the results of my aptitude test

Think I've settled on;
Armour
Boatswain
And I'm not sure for the last one, was considering Combat Engineer at first but the death rates put me off a bit
Thinking maybe some super POG trade like Cook or airspace/vehicle technician
I feel like cook though woul honestly have the most use in the real world than half of these hyper-specific tech trades, ad I'd enjoy it more since I'm not terribly mechanically minded.
>>
Sitting here at AIT on a 4 day weekend doing nothing. Answering questions if you have them.
>>
>>28012646
Mos?
>>
>>28012654
35N
>>
>>28012631
Never be a cook.
>>
>>28012672
Why not?
>>
>>28012631
what are the death rates for combat engineer?
and which branch of combat engineer are we talking about?
I assume an 18c combat engineer would have a high death rate but that special forces.
>>
>>28012792
It's an insanely hard job, for one. There is no such thing as a day off or a break when you're working. Cooks have to show up at 0400 to get breakfast prepped. Dinner isn't served until 1700 and you don't get off work until about 2100.

You will take more wounds than damn near anyone who isn't killed in combat, but people will still think you became a cook to avoid combat. Burns and cuts, mostly. Try slicing meat or chopping produce on a rocking ship.

You're cooking for hundreds of people at a time and every single one of them will complain about the food because you didn't cook it specially for them.

On the plus side, though, you can hook people up and if you're clever you can parlay that into a nice little side business.
>>
>>28012882
Don't forget that cooks don't get cushy, paper-pushing shore duties, either. You just do more damn cooking.
>>
should i consider joining if im still a virgin
>>
What is the best branch to get a moral wavier?
>>
>>28013173
Sure. You might find that the uniform gives you extra confidence with the ladies (or the guys, if you prefer).

I was pretty shy in high school and college, but when I went out for permission on the weekend, I felt like I could use my walking out uniform as a sort of disguise. I may have still been a kissless loser in real life, but that night I would be playing the role of a confident, badass Legionnaire. The girls didn't know who I really was, they were bowled over by my obvious confidence.

>Bon soir, mademoiselle. Est-ce que tu parles anglais?

That took some adjustment when I came back home. As in, oh shit. I'm me again. Damn.

>H-hey. You...uh...come here often?
>>
>>28012631
Go Armor, Combat Engineer could mean clearing mines, and cook is the worst job in the military.
>>
Should I join the marines if I'm a /pol/tard who secretly wants to suck and get fucked by preferably black cocks?
>>
whats the most spook MOS i can get
>>
>>28013258
Most 35 series MOS
>>
>>28013249
Depends on how much you're willing to settle for Mexicock. If you've gone black and are truly unable to go back, then the Army is the place to be. They're a little under 20% blacks. The Marines is closer to 11%
>>
>>28012664
I'm interested in enlisting for a 35 position myself, out of all of them, what do you think transfers to civilian life best, offers the most rewarding / interesting work, and is all around just a good job?

Specifically looking at 35Q, 35N, and 35P.
>>
>>28013438
35Q might transfer better, although 35P would let you go to DLI and learn a new language.
>>
>>28013451
Thanks, that's pretty much what I had narrowed it down to, and since I have an interest in learning Russian I'm leaning more towards 35P at this point.
>>
>>28013458
I'm not sure what level Russian is, but just remember that the more complex the language, the better scores you need on the DLAB.
>>
>>28013458
Civvy prospects are a lot better for Q than P right now. If you go P, don't expect to learn Russian. You'll most likely be learning ISIS-speak.
>>
>>28013597
Arabic will be more useful than Russian if the ME ever gets its shit sorted out.
>>
>>28012672
Wew I thought it would be chill, but either way the first two are what I really care about
Combat engineer looks like a decent job and I like the idea of helping people (especially in peace-time you will see a lot of disaster aid) but clearing IEDs and mines is a bit scary desu

I'd rather be locked up safe in my titanium womb
>>
File: 1448467973590.jpg (603 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1448467973590.jpg
603 KB, 1920x1080
>>28011812
Were there/ are there any seals, rangers, marsoc, or green berets on /k/?
>>
>>28013771
There's a ranger that frequents these threads, I don't remember his trip though. There was an 18E in the previous thread. I don't think I've ever seen a SEAL or MARSOC. We have a couple French Legionnaires too.
>>
>>28013789
rickyrecon?
>>
>>28013771
we have neckbeard who pretend to be seals, rangers, marsoc, or green berets
>>
>>28013771
Keep the hood safe H
>>
>>28013789
As one of those ex-Legionnaires, I can most assuredly state that we are not in the same league as SEALs and their ilk. Our parachutists' regiment, the 2e REP, is a pretty close equivalent to the US Army's Rangers, though.
>>
>>28013830
Why did you join the legion?
I always assumed them to be of the same quality as the marines desu, just a little better maybe
>>
>>28013830
I didn't say they were. I just thought it was relevant.
>>
Well you got Ricky, but he rarely comes in /meg/.

Then you have Faulkner, who was Civil Affairs and fairly knowledgable, he's been here lately. And we also have an 18E who was here last thread, and a couple Rangers too. But they've all post a couple times and that's it.

There was a SEAL trip but I call bullshit until I see some proof
>>
>>28013851
The short version of it is that I felt that my life was pre-programmed for me (school-university-career-marriage-children-retire-die) so I wanted to do something that was as far as possible off that path. It worked. I served out my contract, and got back on the path, by choice this time.

Without bragging, we're a bit tougher than Marines, but we're also very different from Marines. The Marines take pretty much anyone and toughen them up, the Legion takes only those who can survive Legion instruction to begin with.
>>
>>28013865
It's good to have other perspectives. I wish there was more discussion of non-American militaries in these threads.
>>
>>28013888
Have you ever thought it was destined for you to join the legion, and that was actually the pre programmed part
>>
>>28013902
There just isn't enough. There are the occasional britbong/canuck though.
>>
>>28013913
If that were the case, I should have received a lot less push-back from my family and friends, lol.

Everyone joins the Legion to escape something, be it the law, or poverty, or boredom, or expectation. (Coming from an upper-middle class family where education and career are important, there's a LOT of expectation.)
>>
>>28013902
Yeah, I would be interested to hear from someone with time in another nation's military. We get a few british/canadian/australians and I saw a couple germans and a swede recently, but nobody else.
>>
So I see these types of threads everywhere, but don't remember them being to common about a year ago when I stopped coming here.

Regardless I have words of wisdom for those considering joining.

>11b
>Ranger
>hate all of life.

> I am not nor have I ever been associated with Ricky and his kind.
>>
>>28014021
/meg/ is fairly new, about 6 months ago is when we started them.

As a DEPfag with an Opt 40, do you have any tips for RASP?
>>
>>28014129
How are your PT scores?
>>
>>28013945
So what kind of advice can you give someone who wants to join the Foreign Legion?
>>
>>28014151
70 PU, 65 SU, 12:58 2-mile run.

It's shitty, but I don't ship until May.
>>
>>28014273
You're good as long as you keep working to improve yourself. Whether or not you have Option 40, you can't go Airborne/Ranger if you dont make at least 270 (or was it 300?) on your PT tests.
>>
its weird to see some posters not posting anymore because they're at boot camp
>>
>>28014298
dont worry once they graduate theyll be back telling us they regretted or that there looking forward to a school
>>
>>28014243
1. Don't. It's generally awful.
2. Run, a lot. The Legion values endurance over strength or speed.
3. Be able to climb a 5m rope without using your legs. If you can do that, you're strong enough for the Legion.
4. If your fitness is borderline, try joining in the dead of winter. Your basic training will be unbearably hellish if you get in, but there will be fewer people trying out for limited spots.

5. Learn French. Learn fucking French. This cannot be overstressed. Listen to "learn French in 30 days" in your earbuds when you're running or something. They'll take anyone fit enough, but someone who speaks French has an automatic leg up on the competition. Instruction is a thousand times easier for Francophones than those who are learning while being screamed at and slapped.
>>
>>28014339
can a mexican join the french foreign legion?
>>
>>28014355
Anyone except French citizens may join, hence the 'foreign' bit. There are some countries out there than prohibit their citizens from serving in foreign armies, but Mexico is not one of them. I knew a few Mexican Legionnaires while I was in.
>>
>>28012646
Have you gotten your orders?
>>
>>28014416
For my first duty station? Nope. Just started my 6 month long AIT.
>>
>>28014426
Oh nice! That's quite a long AIT. I share a class with a bunch of 35S, our school is only 12 weeks. The time fuckin flies though. Did you go to Benning or Jackson?
>>
>>28014447
Jackson.
>>
>>28013467
Gotcha, wasn't aware of that but thanks for the heads up.
>>28013623
that makes sense, wasn't sure if they taught the languages based on need or want / capability
>>28013597
Thanks, this will cause me to lend more consideration to Q.
>>
How tough is ranger school? I'm currently a USAF E-5 and I want to swap over to the ARNG once my enlistment is up next year to do SOT-A. Part of the pipeline includes going to ranger school. I'm just trying to figure out how much of a buttfucking I'm in for.
>>
>>28014454
Right on brother. Best of luck in class. November is a great gig
>>
>>28014471
Yah, the DLAB has 4 levels, witht he more complex (Chinese and shit) being level 4. If you want to take one of those languages, you need better scores so I would suggest looking up a study guide for it. Don't know if it's been changed, but from I'm told, it has a section with questions like "What is the participle in this sentence" or some bullshit like that.

>>28014492
You too, man.
>>
>>28014507
Language comes fairly naturally to me. I speak Italian on top of English already, and got perfect marks on my college entry tests for English. Part of the reason I'm having a hard time choosing between P and Q, but I'll sleep on it and do more research and see what I end up wanting to do more.
>>
>>28014528
I'd go Quebec and learn a language in your off time. Shit we've got a dude that speaks Spanish and it's helping him out
>>
>>28014283
Good to go.

I'm shooting for a 300 either way.
>>
>>28014507
It's >>28014528 I've got another question for ya. Might be a dumb one, but I genuinely don't know; If I'm stationed state-side, and I assume I will be in an intelligence position such as Q or P; do you live near base (but not on it) with your family (provided you're married) or do you live on-base? I'm very unfamiliar with visitation / living situations in enlisted life.
>>
>>28014698
If you have dependents, you can live off base. You're given BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing) to help with the cost of having a family. There's also housing on base and you'll still get BAH.
>>
>>28014839
Cool, thanks for that info. That was really my biggest concern with enlisting.
>>
>>28014698
If you are married, you're either living in base housing, or in a house off post using local BAH money.

I can't cover every conceivable location and situation, but I'll say that living on-post housing is often IMO, a better option. Military towns tend to be super sketchy, and you'll likely feel safer on-post. Also, you still have to make it in for morning PT/early workcalls, and if you live off-post, that means going through an access control point at peak hours every day. Not fun doing that even occasionally, I'm sure sure how people living off post at places like Ft Bragg even live.
>>
>>28014894
Exact reason why I want to stay single and E4 forever
>>
>>28014894
>I can't cover every conceivable location and situation, but I'll say that living on-post housing is often IMO, a better option.

Convenient, safe, all the amenities...but they take 100 % of your BAH for a mediocre place. Plus you're basically in a HOA since you have to keep your residence upto post standards.

If you live out in town you have to deal with traffic and maybe crime...but you pocket the difference between BAH and your rent. That can be a $500+/mo pay raise in some places, and when you're a lower enlisted dude who is only making $2k/mo to start with, that is a fucking game-changer.
>>
>>28015153
You keep telling yourself that when all the married people get released two hours earlier and you get held back for "barracks maintenance". Or when you get woken up in the middle of the night for a random inspection/formation while all the married people sleep soundly in bed. Not to mention being married more than doubles your paycheck at the lower ranks.

Being married in the military is the biggest fucking scam.
>>
>>28015253
thread on military wives here.
>>28014722
>>
>>28015271

Worth it. Just don't make kids, you don't get any extra money for them.
>>
Do you get instantly DQ'd if you fuck up and lose your balance during the duck walk?
>>
>>28015292
In the Marines we did an elephant walk. I didn't like that. I don't want to talk about it.
>>
>>28015284
>Worth it
Until you divorce and she gets a chunk of your pay/pension forever
>>
>>28015308
prenup, y'all.
>>
>>28013830
What are your prospects like after being a legionaire?
>>
>>28015253
Being enlisted still sounds better than being married desu senpai
>>
Went to Marine Corps OCS this summer (PLC-C). Can answer questions about the officer route if anyone is interested
>>
>>28015485
I'm not planning on going Marines but what can you tell me about OCS? I imagine the officer education can't be very different between branches.
>>
>>28015542
They stress you out and see how you react. Everything is an evaluation, even liberty. They like to plan big events, like academic tests and leadership exercises close together, for example. You better come in shape, too. The goal of the PT is not to make you better (but it will. I started with a 21 minute 3 mile and was down to 1810 when I graduated). The goal of the PT, like everything else, is to break you off and see how you react. What branch are you looking at?
>>
>>28015373
Not good, to be entirely honest.

If you take the French passport, you are protected by the French social safety net, which is generous, but you basically have zero real world skills, since your Legion skills were "march in pus-filled boots without complaining", "drive a tank", "jump out of an airplane", "blow up a tree".

If you go back to your home country, you also have zero skills and the Legion still has its reputation as being a home of criminals, so it's automatically assumed you were on the lam.

In my case, I already had my university degree and jumped right back into the career that I left behind. I killed my career earnings curve by 5 years, but a lot of my mates from the Legion days are doing much worse.

For a great many, the Legion doesn't give you a new start, it just gives you a five year break from your shitty life, while you live a shittier life.
>>
>>28015292
I don't think so. Just don't fuck up. Practice now.
>>
>>28015542
OCS is OCS. It's hard. It's harder than ROTC, it might be harder than the academies. It's extremely competitive.

That said, though, OCS produces the best junior officers. The ROTC guys couldn't pour piss out of a boot if the instructions were printed on the heel and the Academy guys think they are some sort of military aristocracy. A boot loot who comes out of OCS has enough self-awareness to recognize he's just as new as an 18 year old PFC and, consequently, tends to listen to the men in his command and learn rapidly.
>>
>>28015650
Good points. We started with about 65 and graduated around 45. You can quit at any time after the fourth week, which gives it an entirely different feel than boot camp, according to the priors in my platoon.
The enlisted Marine was also put on a pedestal at OCS; our company commander told us that you'd come for whatever reason, but you'd stay to lead Marines, our most precious asset.
>>
File: nowcomesthepart.gif (2 MB, 390x277) Image search: [Google]
nowcomesthepart.gif
2 MB, 390x277
>>28015686
>Marines, our most precious asset.

Oh no, wherever would we find more deluded bullet sponges?

- the Navy
>>
>>28015726
my ass really is navy equipment
>>
>>28015745
yup. A Marine is no different to me than a torpedo or a cruise missile or a 5-inch shell. The only thing that differentiates them is the cost and the delivery system.
>>
>>28015802
talkin mad smack
>>
>>28015802
>things some navy fag would never say within hearing range of any Marine
>>
>>28015861
meh
>>
>>28015861
>>28015884
Just as an aside for those who are considering serving.
This sort of banter only flies in very select circumstances and is always in jest with the highest level of respect, particularly with regard to the Navy and its Marines. Don't try this at home, don't try this in the civilian world. A sailor might tell you to cool it. A Marine might just haul off and clock you.

That said, you want to know how to get out of a fight with a Marine? Give him directions to the location of the fight.
>>
>>28015927
This. Sure you can call me a faggot seaman, but you better have a uniform on to back that up.
>>
>>28015927
Had a prior sailor in my platoon. Dude was a badass. Ended up winning the company PT award or some shit.
>>
>>28012882
Be a cook on a small ship. I serve as a cook on a Cyclone-class patrol ship. It's great. I cook for 30 people. I actually have menus some days. I know what everyone's food allergies and preferences are. I can't imagine a more fun job. We rig up a grill and have a cookout on deck every so often.
>>
Should I lie about passed drug use if nothing is on paper about it. It seems like half of the people in the military say yes absolutely it will create problems in the future and the other half say its better to be honest in case you need to get a more higher security clearance and they find about it later. I just want to be a simple machinist or armorer and serve my country.

Im not trying to go for SF or anything. Can I get some advice? Yes Im drug free and have been for 8 months to a year, never been an addict.
>>
>>28016021
im not going to tell you to lie, but if you do and they find out you better make sure you stick to your story
>>
>>28016021
If you have never been caught, cop to nothing. Treat the whole process like a police interrogation. They want you to elaborate. Don't.

>Yes
>No
>I don't recall. specifically.

Those are the answers to 99% of the questions you will ever be asked.

The background check is to see if you've got any family in "questionable" countries or if you or anyone in your family is deeply in debt.

Do they care if you smoked a little hay in 9th grade? Of course, not. They don't want their job to be any harder than it has to be, so say nothing.

On your medical, though, mention everything. That's different.
>>
>>28016064
>tfw I mentioned that I has smoked weed in the past
did I fuck up?
>>
>>28015927
does military banter between branches ever get rough, or is it always in friendly jest?
>>
>>28016094
only knobs take it too far
>>
>>28016109
Yep. Don't be that guy. Fuck that guy.
>>
>>28015861
>>28015884
>>28015927
>>28015983
>>28016002
>inter-service rivalries

Think of those like the n-word. The inter-service rivalries are for us to spur servicemen and women on to excellence in their field. They are not for civilians to use.

>Be at my local sports bar
>Be former Marine
>Some drunk fuck is talking shit about the Coast Guard
>ex-Coastie points out the vital nature of the USCG's mission
>drunk fucker is still talking shit about the cowardice of Coasties.

This is where any serviceman should step up and stitch this guy's mouth shut.

If you've served, you know when to talk shit.
If you've never served, you also know when to talk shit: never.

Even the Coast Guardsman is willing to drown to save your ass when you sail your party boat too far from shore in shit weather.
>>
>>28016094
My grandpa tells a story from WW2 about a drunk Marine claiming he was the equal of ten sailors and then being violently disabused of that notion, but, in my experience, it's just banter in these recent years.
>>
>>28016143
Actually, now that I think about it, I want to point out that have mad respect for the Coast Guard. They see shit tons of action and get no credit for it, but they still put their lives on the line.
>>
I did get caught by the cops with a little bit of weed. Its going to get dropped but I'm going to get a waiver for it anyway not taking any chances with something in the system. However, on that waiver it will ask me about my complete drug history. I have a feeling ill be better off if i tell them as little as possible.
>>
>>28016182
They're out there doing their job 24/7/365. Army and Marines have pre-deployment workups and whatnot, then we go on deployment. Not the CG. You wanna talk about doing more with less, look at the Coast Guard
>>
>>28016202
Nonono. If it's a matter of record, as in, cops involved, yeah, you fess up to that.
You swear up and down you were a dumb kid and you're past that shit.
If you lie about it, though, you are doublefucked.
>>
>>28016202
was ment to reply to
>>28016064
>>28016039
and I'm going to make all my paperwork consistent
>>
>>28016221
know i already know that, my question is will their background check be more scruitness of my drug usage if i got caught with a little bit of bud so i know wither or not to leave all that out
>>
Apart from being in good physical condition, what good skills to have to help you make it through basic training?

I'm a little slow to learn new skills so I'd like to practice as not to fuck up and make the rest of the platoon suffer.
>>
>>28016221
Im already more or less guaranteed a waiver for just the marijuana. and ill need on for my past ADHD diagnoses. I have filled the script in like 4 months and haven't bothered to take it in a year at least
>>
>>28016239
Background checks are more financial in nature, actually.

If you or any of your immediate family is deeply in debt, they will scrutinize you, since the easiest way to recruit a spy is to take care of their debts for them.
>>
File: hardwork.jpg (97 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
hardwork.jpg
97 KB, 640x640
11b1p, been in for awhile.
>>
>>28016245
from what I've been told you don't want to be first and don't want to be last at anything, and don't volunteer for anything. Ive also heard that if you think your slow to learn something you haven't met your fellow recruits yet haha
>>
>>28016245
Realize that your Drill Instructors/Sergeants/RDCs/TIs are people too. They're just out there doing their job. They do theirs, you do yours, and everyone can go home happy. They're not some superhuman, as much as they would like you to believe. Oh, and play the game. Play the motherfucking game. What branch?
>>
>>28016252
my dad is a doctor so id day I'm good in that department.
>>
>>28016268
yes. don't stand out. be in the top half, but not number one.
and yes. you have no idea how fucking stupid the average recruit is.
>>
>>28015292
Not instantly, but they'll make you do it again once or twice. Nobody in my group fucked up more than that so I don't know.
>>
>>28011812
Anyone know about filling out the SF86 for security clearances? I worked under the table in construction for couple years. Do u put that under the job description part as employment or leave it out?

I think it looks weird either way like, oh you lived in an apartment but didn't have a job? Or oh you didn't pay your taxes? Let's call the IRS
>>
>>28016271

Army (Infantry)

Perhaps you didn't understand the question, or I didn't understand your answer, but I'm talking about physical skill such as the way you have to wear your uniform and make your bed, set up the tents, if you need to use ropes at all, etc.
>>
>>28015583
I'm thinking Air Force, but this is only in the event that I decide against Navy nuke. (I hate being happy almost as much as I hate being poor you see)

>>28015650
That's what I understand, thanks for the input.

>>28015686
I'm pretty positive im in the top ~75%
>>
>>28016245
You don't need any special skills to make it through basic.

The main reasons people get punished is for slacking off, missing basic hygiene (shaving mostly), or falling asleep.

Don't do those things, and you won't draw especial punishment. Be aware however, that in BCT punishments are constant, and if the Drill Sergeants can't punish you for something real, they'll punish you for something imaginary. Accept going in that you will be doing your best, but still being mass punished on a daily basis anyway.

For the few things requiring an actual modicum of mental skill like shooting, medical, camo painting, the Drill Sergeants will cool their bluster a bit and actually teach. You won't be punished with pushups in the middle of a medical class.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again for all you jittery newfags: Basic training is a TRAINING course, not a selection course. The whole idea is to take average fags and turn them into baseline effective soldiers, with a low dropout rate.
>>
>>28014021
Why do you hate all of life as a ranger?
>>
>>28016346
I guess you can say he's 11butthurt
>>
Is there anything wrong with being a grunt? Will I have the same education opportunities as any other marine?
Or is my life basically over?
>>
>>28016333
To add to this:

the drill instructors are supposed to be scary. They are supposed to intimidate you. The point is to teach you how to think on your feet in stressful situations.

Everything an instructor does has a purpose, even if it's just to humilate.

The point of all military instruction is to teach you to put yourself in a sort of zen state where your team and your orders are the only thing that matters.
>>
>>28016359
www.terminallance.com
Start reading these comics. Once you've read about 50 you can start to form an idea about what it's like
>>
>>28011812
How has this guy gotten so far along in life but, not figured out how to put a belt threw some loops.
>>
>>28016260
>1
No, you haven't.
>>
>>28016365
Oh my God, I'd never seen these. Fuckin' hilarious.
>>
>>28016143

Did some joint classes with a bunch of intel guys from all different services. The one Coastie there was the only one who had actually been shot at because he used to do drug raids and shit at sea. The rest of us, Marines included, had never left our respective basements.
>>
>>28016299
They can only really verify things that were submitted to the IRS.

My investigator asked me about a job that I only worked for 4 hours that I hadn't put on my SF86.
>>
>>28016299

Put all the info in about your under the table job. The SF86 is not trying to build a case against you for crimes, it is trying to see if you're a terrorist or can easily be blackmailed.
>>
>>28016440
Coast Guard Sharpshooters. That is all.

If you've never seen a guy shoot out the outboard of a speedboat bouncing over rough seas with a .50 cal suspended from a sling in a helo, you haven't seen shooting.
>>
>>28016440
>Coastie
Guardsman is the preferred term, actually.

I joined as a rescue swimmer. Now, I don't know what being a Marine or sailor is like, but we don't just cruise around making sure rich yachtsmen don't capsize.
>>
>>28016333
>>28016360
Thanks anon, that's encouraging advice
>>
>>28016553
Nah, bro. Respect. Coast Guardsmen are hardcore.
>>
Will I be alright going through MEPS despite having no health issues, and having no alcohol or drug history?

I've hear sugars might cause problems.
>>
>>28016661
Don't eat much fruit or desert/pastries at breakfast. You'll be fine.
>>
File: 2011-11-01-Strip_158_MEPS_web.gif (45 KB, 700x355) Image search: [Google]
2011-11-01-Strip_158_MEPS_web.gif
45 KB, 700x355
>>28016661
pic related
>>
I will tell you that being in the military is the most fun you'll never have again.
>>
>>28016757
>you'll never have again.
you can always [spoiler]re-enlist [spoiler]or stay forever[/spoiler]
>>
>>28016018
>I know what everyone's food allergies and preferences are.
WAIT A MINUTE.

Can you join the navy if you have food allergies?
Since when is this a thing? Are your standards SO low?
>>
>>28016794
being allergic doesn't always mean its life threatening.
>>
>>28014243
>>28014339
>>28014355
>>28014373

I remember a dope reddit post in which somebody who stayed with the foreign legion for 10 years (and who did not reveal his identity or origin) answered a lot of questions about training, experience, comradeship, scenarios.

He wasn't eager to talk missions etc. but had a lot of intelligence on training fields in Guyana.

It was an Ask Me Anything thread.

I am trying to Google it now, but I am finding only crappy threads (e.g. by a Romanian guy), etc.

What I am looking for is the serious one.
>>
>>28016812
Agreed. But...

>Be me
>My country has just 1-2,000 military vacancies every year
>Selection is kinda hard and sometimes standards are made up just in order to cut down the applicants' list (i.e. they are not relevant for the actual job)

You can bet they're going to fuck you up if you have a gluten intolerance or some other shit.

I mean, I can lie and shit bricks throughout the enlistment... but it's better to be in good shape, right? ;-)
>>
>>28016874
>>Selection is kinda hard and sometimes standards are made up just in order to cut down the applicants' list (i.e. they are not relevant for the actual job)

By saying this I mean that even if you can hit a beer can at 1 mile with your sniper rifle or if you can run the marathon, this will not be enough.

They look for people who can fit in the square they created, not for people who are actually ready, fit, and motivated for service. Their concept of fitness is mostly "able to fit or squeeze in the kind of standard package we have available" and not "overall fit and with better awareness, resilience and skills than the average John Doe".
>>
File: hob.jpg (51 KB, 385x258) Image search: [Google]
hob.jpg
51 KB, 385x258
>>28016895
>They look for people who can fit in the square they created, not for people who are actually ready, fit, and motivated for service. Their concept of fitness is mostly "able to fit or squeeze in the kind of standard package we have available" and not "overall fit and with better awareness, resilience and skills than the average John Doe".
Basically, what you're sayin' is they're looking for grunts, not for the Albert Einstein of warfare.
Eventually, they will pick some grunts from the mob and turn them into motherfucking Yoda -- but, generally speaking, they want to enlist people who are pretty homogeneous with some administrative and physical standards they are comfortable working with.
>>
>>28016782
Oh I'm sorry did I say "you'll have again."

I meant " the most fun you'll never want to have again."
>>
>>28013247
Hey man, the cook is the first person on your list of people to be friends with. After that are the folks who handle requisitions and logistics.
>>
>>28017035
Who gets the 3rd place?
>>
>>28013173
If you happen to have women stationed along with you. I can guarantee the entire barracks or officers will have dipped their fingers in the pie. Seriously, women in the armed forces are just government issued cum dumpsters.
>>
>>28017042
Your battle buddy or people assigned to the same barracks.
>>
>>28017051
yeah? I figured women in the military would be more disciplined
>>
>>28017051
>>28017070

So don't they disrupt unit cohesion?

Assume you're the only one who doesn't get to eat the pie for whatever reason. This must suck.
>>
>>28013173
In addition beware of the loose hussies hanging right outside the base, waiting to snag whatever unlucky bastard on leave. They are looking for dependent status by having YOUR CHILD.
>>
>>28017076
Not only that if they get injured in a combat situation, but they'll most likely fuck up somehow and get the whole unit disciplined.
>>
>>28017101
Thanks for your answer.
Frankly, when asking >>28017076 I had no prejudice about women in the army... except I still cannot picture myself in such a situation.
>>
Hopefully wherever you all get stationed isn't in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, because drugs and alcohol are guaranteed to be around. On base and you'll have fun in the brig.
>>
>>28017125
Oh and lotsa fornication
>>
I want to join delta force. What do i need to do?
>>
>>28017293
fuck me in the ass
>>
Do people join the navy because they're gay, or does joining the navy turn them gay?
>>
>>28017293
an hero and hope reincarnation does well by you
>>
>>28017982
im gay
>>
>>28013851
what is the legion?
>>
>>28016284
why shouldn't you stand out?
>>
>>28018289
the french foreign legion

>>28018327
a lot of people here say that if the CO's see you doing good theyll beat on you, to see if you really are as good as you claim or some shit
>>
>>28018349
and if you're as good as you claim to be what happens then?
>>
>>28018353
they keep beating on you

you dont win in basic, senpai
>>
>>28017051
Oh god this is so true, know a couple of girls from my HS that enlisted Navy and Army and theyre just the same old dumb cum dumpster bitches they were in highschool, they can just now run a whole lot more
>>
>>28018364
fuck, alright. Thanks for answering, I'll be as common as possible
>>
anyone on here willing to talk to a down and despondent GI? i think i need someone to talk to, and i think i have made a fucking huge mistake.

>took a few to many pills.
>my perception of time is skipping
>it's already been an hour the fuck feels like 5 minutes ago.
>>
>>28018570
Okay, it's been a few hours, but what did you take? You still alive?
>>
>>28018959
i shoved as much amphetamine in my face as I had, while drinking scotch in the inbetween. I think I'mma be fine, though. everything has kinda settled down, and my thoughts have (i think) stopped being a jumblefucked mess.
>>
>>28018975
this was many hours before i made the greentext post, even.
>>
>>28016757
Greatest mistake I'd make again
>>28017982
Every branch is pretty gay.
>>28018570
Hey brother, stick to the booze. That other shit is another world. These generals aren't too active in the day, but I always come here to talk to people. When did you enlist / get out (if you're out)?
>>
>>28019070
i know. i kicked the drugs (or thought i did) five months ago. I joined back in '09. sometimes it seems like just last week. sometimes it's almost like it was just a dream, and that i've always been in uniform. been deployed twice. year each. didn't like it, and i don't want to go back. will if I have to, though.

it's the holidays that are fucking with me. not being around anyone i care about anymore, or can talk to. the ones i am able to talk to don't want to talk to me one bit. thanksgiving was rough. christmas is going to be worse. now that I'm winding down and typing this out is it actually striking me. i think i just tried to kill myself. holy shit.
>>
>>28019105
Alright, I'm going to admit I'm not even a depper yet since I've still got to get through MEPS next Tuesday, so I might be totally and completely out of line here for saying this. Might be time to talk to someone though, like, anyone. I can see going on a bender to cool off, but that sounds way more than that with your personal life info thrown in. Hell take a trip to a church or a sikh temple off base or something if you need to, get out of the environment for a few hours at least.
>>
>>28019141
well then it's my turn to give advice. don't do it. don't sign away years to a system that will use and abuse you, and then toss you away like a worn out part. either you break, you become institutionalized, or you burn out. please, don't do it. find other options. there is always another way.

and you're right. on monday I'm going to go talk to mental health. i think it's time to take them up on that mental health separation.
>>
>>28019105
I fucking hate holidays bro. I tried to be social on Thanksgiving to try to keep myself from being depressed but no. Its shitty when you want to tell the people at home that it sucks but you can't. You gotta find someone out there to bond with though. Friends are the only thing that make this shit bearable. Kick that shit for good man. It's way to easy to make a huge mistake with drugs. >>28019161
There's no shame in that. You did your time
>>
>>28019180
>>28019141
>>28019070

fuck it, while I'm on a soapbox spilling my soul to you fine /k/ommandos. i'm only twenty fucking four fucking years old. what fucking business does a kid like me have being entrusted with the lives and well-being of even younger americans. sons and daughters of fellow american citizens. looking to me to guide them along. help them survive and fucking thrive! I can barely be trusted to drive a car down the street unsupervised! I can barely do my own fucking taxes! and I'm supposed to know instantly and always how to keep them alive and well! If i do wrong, they suffer and might even get killed! It's fucking madness! i don't want this stress! and I don't want to fucking do this any more.

but if I leave, what happens to the men that I'm responsible for? I know, for a fact, that if I leave them behind that my spot will be filled by someone far less capable and skilled than I am. how the fuck could I every justify or forgive myself for doing something so absolutely selfish. just the thought feels like i'm betraying their trust in me. fuck man. i just. goddamnit. i know this isn't the place for a sadsack cowardly pity party. my bad.
>>
>>28019161
>>28019223
What he said >>28019180 Nothing wrong with leaving, no shame, and don't let no one tell you otherwise. They might say you're a pussy or weak, but you know what? FUCK EM. You went, you served, and you got stabbed in the back by them for trying to do your duty, but dammit you went and you can be proud of that fact. It's a LOT more than most people can say.
As for being filled with someone far less capable, well, let's be honest. Guy before you probably thought the same thing, but you've done good, haven't you? You stay in until you snap, all you're doing is setting an example that that's your mens' future, that they literally must die to serve their country, or completely destroy their lives. What's that going to help, for you or them? Getting out, healing, rebuilding yourself is all the best stuff for you and them. Maybe there's some under your command that are right there with you, or are heading down that path. It doesn't have to end like that. 24 years old, even if you've been handling nukes with your bare hands your whole enlistment, means you've got so much time for yourself. Don't let killing yourself be your final note.
>>
>>28017076
>So don't they disrupt unit cohesion?

They mostly disrupt unit cohesion when their teammates rape them.
>>
>>28019260
god damn it, you're right. absolutely right. I have to take care of myself. there is no option besides to do as such. If I allow myself to deteriorate and fall apart from some "misguided" sense of giving my all to my soldiers, that's just meaning i'm not giving them my best. I'm only giving what the shattered and broken pieces are capable of doing.

thank you, /k/omrade. i needed that today.
>>
>>28014373
You sure french citizens can't join?

I want to enlist but I was under the impression that the legion was a better choice than the army (armée de terre)
>>
>>28017293
I think it goes Army -> Green Berets -> Delta and you have to be the best of the best of the best. Pretty simple
>>
File: Bchoqz2CEAATdSv.jpg (33 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Bchoqz2CEAATdSv.jpg
33 KB, 600x450
lads if i go to america for my master's, can i join the US army? i don't speak a foreign language, so no MAVNI for me
>>
I've always been wondering, are there tier 1, elite armed forces which are not restricted to one country?

For example, the SMU and SOG are restricted to the US. Are there forces that are in the same league but formed by the collaboration of several countries?

If not, are there any special forces in the same league as SOG and the ones comprising JSOC's SMU at all?
>>
>>28019617

Not unless you get a green card.
>>
>>28019679
how do you do that?
the lottery is basically a crapshoot and not reliable enough to be considered a viable option, or so I was told
>>
>>28019679
I've heard of Canadians getting in without it if they talk to some people at the embassy
>>
>>28017125
This is a big issue for me, mainly on my job choice

The Navy gets the best bases right on the coast, while the armoured battalions are largely in bumfuck nowhere, the best being petawawa since its in Ontario where my family is and close enough to Ottawa, and basically in the middle of a national park
>>
>>28017076
Just the 21st century equivalent of military prostitutes
>>
Which sucks less, being in an Abrams or being in a Bradley? Last year I saw a Bradley at the Detroit auto show, and it actually looked really cool.
>>
How difficult is the ASVAB? I've taken some practice ones online and I have done very well, are they at all reflective of the actual test? My biggest faults are the electrical and automotive sections. What are some good ways to study? Also, can I take the test more than once?
>>
>>28019555
French citizens may not join la Légion Étrangère. That is not to say, however, that there are no French in the Legion. There are, in fact, quite a few. Nearly 1 in 5, I'd guess.

First, all the officers are French. So, go to Saint-Cyr and volunteer for your commission in the Legion. Or, if you want to enlist, say you're Belgian, Swiss, or Québécois. Then they let you in, no problem.

But know this: the Legion IS a part of the Armée de terre, we just have green berets and speak shitty French. Every op I ever went on was alongside Chasseurs Alpins. After instruction, life in the Legion was not too different from every other French soldier, just slightly shabbier.
>>
>all these yanks
>tfw stuck with the Leo

I still think at least its aesthetically nicer than the Abrams though we still have a bunch of rubbish Leopard 1's (called LeoC2 to confuse people) though they have bought some Leo2's already since Afghanistan and are buying more
>>
>>28019593
You do not have to be a green beret to be in delta. In fact, the Army has stated that about 75% of those in delta were originally in the 75th.

They also pull people from other branches.
>>
>>28019959
>Chasseurs Alpins
That's a French SOF though if I'm not mistaken. Aren't Legionnaires held to a higher standard than normal infantry and more efficient because of that?
>>
>>28020186
No
>>
I really want to go 35P, but I REALLY don't want to learn a sand language.
>>
>>28020261
>but I REALLY don't want to learn a sand language.
why not?
Arabic is a great language desu
I learned it and love it.
>>
>>28019653
please respond
>>
>>28013771
keep the hood safe H
>>
>>28020261
>I really want to go 35P, but I REALLY don't want to learn a sand language.
Why not? If make it through either the RASP/OST or SOT-A pipeline you're guaranteed deployments and the opportunity to do coolguy shit.

Even if you aren't TACSIGINT, having a SIGINT background with a DLI diploma in a very pertinent language is going to make you super attractive post-service for a huge variety of jobs.

>>28019653
>Does Rainbow Six exist?
No Anon.
>>
>>28020388
>>28020294
My family is from Yemen and have tried to teach my Arabic since a child, and it just never really clicked with me. I've taken french since like the 8th grade, and I'm 10x better at that language, even though my parents occasionally speak arabic at home.
>>
>>28019653
Canada and the US used to have a join special forces group which was pretty elite, but that was during WWII and Korea I think

the JTF2 grew out of it and work with the Americans regularly.
>>
>>28020432
ah haha that's the exact same with me m8
my family is Quebec french and has always tried to get me to learn but I could never get into it, but I learned Arabic super easy.
>>
>>28020186
The Chasseurs Alpins are not Special Forces. They are just the name for soldiers of mountain infantry battalions.
>>
>>28020436
>>28020388
So even NATO doesn't have some kind of special operations group?

Either way, are there countries that have SOFs in the same league as the US?
>>
>>28020480
I think South Korea's UDT/Frogmen teams are pretty good, trained by US frogmen. They also operated within North Korea up until the late 80s.
>>
>>28020480
>So even NATO doesn't have some kind of special operations group?
not that I'm aware of, though SF of different nations operate in unison regularly anyways with no issue.

the whole idea behind NATO is that any unit can operate efficiently with any other unit.
>>
>>28020480
>in the same league as the US
What does that even mean?

SAD SOG are generally considered to be the best worldwide, though. I don't think any country has a true equivalent.
>>
>>28020432
You're going to be assigned a language based on relevance and the needs of your unit. You could always pick another language related field, as a French speaker; chances of you getting assigned French as a 35P is astronomically low.

>>28020480
...Are you just unaware that special operations, of any nation, purposely lack a lot of transparency? Even in Iraq and Afghanistan, on joint task forces, our closest allies (Brits, Canadians, etc) aren't privy to a huge amount of information. And I'm sure the same applies with what they share with us.

It doesn't even make sense from a logistical standpoint - most NATO members contribute the minimum allotted funding, and aren't willing to participate in voluntary exercises based on budgetary restrictions.

What benefit would that provide? I mean really, there is no benefit.
>>
>>28019866
It's not very hard. Your practice scores are probably fairly reflective of your actual score. There are study guides for it all over the internet. You can only take it once.
>>
>>28020388
SOT-As don't have a formal pipeline as of yet. I've seen ones in the works and it is literally like 12-15 months of schools and courses.

Do OSTs have anything special?
>>
>>28020480
Canada has a special operations team that is US-tier, it's even rumored that Canada was actually the ones to kill bin Laden and America was credited to obfuscate it.
>>
File: shithawk_down.jpg (62 KB, 359x473) Image search: [Google]
shithawk_down.jpg
62 KB, 359x473
which is the better option? reserve or ROTC for college? probably going to join air force, don't know yet
>>
>>28021853
If you want to pay for school ROTC is probably the better option, assuming you're ok with mandatory service after you get out. You'll be making good money as an officer though, so consider that.
>>
File: 1418585595761.gif (491 KB, 260x146) Image search: [Google]
1418585595761.gif
491 KB, 260x146
>>28021615
>SOT-As don't have a formal pipeline as of yet
It was my understanding that USASOC approved their pipeline (administered by USAJFKSWCS); Excluding IET/AIT & DLI - (since it's a pre-req anyways) ABN, SFSIET, SFBCC-S, Ranger School based on rank (TL/ATL are hardcoded Victor slots, unless something has changed).

I may very well be mistaken though.

OST pipeline is in the same vein - but there is an established A&S and required schooling. Not going to get to far into it, but as far as I know OSTs are utilized in a much broader role than SOT-As and receive a a lot more funding/and thus more follow-on schooling (or opportunities for schooling). OSTs receive JSOC taskings frequently, not the same level as certain other SIGINT focused folks - but they're at a whole different level altogether.

Both can roll independently, but just from what I've seen, our guys get tasked out a lot on their own and get to do a lot of genuinely interesting things. There are more than a couple guys who've jumped from SOT-As to OSTs; some of them have said attitudes towards what they do is very different just based on the fact that in Batt, you're a Ranger regardless of your job, versus being SF Support, you're just that.

Maybe that 18E will hop in and clarify if SOT-As have an approved pipeline; not exactly my lane.

>>28021643
>Canada was actually the ones to kill bin Laden and America was credited to obfuscate it.
Canada pls.
>>
>>28021994
>rumored that
>>
>>28022011
You understand that even pre-qualifying that statement with "rumored that" doesn't make it any less retarded, right?

Who did you hear that "rumor" from anyways?
>>
What branch gets to travel the most, army or navy?
>>
>>28022042
Assuming you're in the fleet, Navy, obviously.
>>
Fun fact
>>
Fun fact: The military is the nation's largest employer of single mothers.
>>
Mum just sent me a long email saying I shouldn't sign up for a combat role because people die

wish my parents were not being so anxious about this desu, would make it easier.
>>
>>28022051
Hey Ricky I wanted to ask you, do you know anything about AFSOC SOST's? Special Operation Surgical Teams, for clarification.
>>
File: you.jpg (31 KB, 567x561) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
31 KB, 567x561
>>28022123
>>28022136
>>
File: branches.jpe.jpg (90 KB, 500x576) Image search: [Google]
branches.jpe.jpg
90 KB, 500x576
How accurate is this picture?
>>
>>28022239
From a thread, where that image came from, about some chair forcers complaining about having to sleep in a cot for like literally 2 days, I'd say it's somewhat accurate.
>>
>>28022239
That Ranger's face is hilarious for some reason
>>
>>28022239
The Ranger looking like he is starved and sleep deprived is so absolutely true.
>>
>>28022239
>I wish it would suck more
tep kok
>>
>>28021994
I am a sot-a. There is none. Im the dude you were responding to. Usasfc is working towards a few program of records for us and are trying to fit us in swc. But mostly people just pick up certs and will go to sere, ranger, sfauc. There's a shitton of courses for us but none are on atrrs.
>>
>>28022255
HI, REDDIT
>>
File: 1448736121030.jpg (20 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1448736121030.jpg
20 KB, 320x320
>>28022388
hi
>>
>>28022341
Ahhh, I gotcha.

How do you like working for GRP?
>>
>>28022458
Decent. Always secondary to the teams and it shows more glaringly at times than others. Good tdy opportunities even if 85% of it just going to midsized American cities. Most sota are pretty shitty and lazy desu. But the great ones are incredible men that could easily be long tabbed or go to small medium utilities.
>>
Might seem like a dumb question, but learning the RTC chain of command, do I learn the position order and the person who holds it? For example, CNO being Admiral John M Richardson.
>>
Generally speaking, what does it take to make it into a SOF? US or otherwise
>>
>>28022828
For any decent unit, pretty much what you expect - a fairly high level of physical fitness, willpower, intelligence, etc.

Some country's SOF units are pretty much SOF in name alone. It's not like there's some generalized international standard.
>>
>>28022981
I meant countries with half-decent military forces. US, UK, France, Russia, whatever.
I'm talking about the SOF units that are referenced when people talk about the best their country has to offer, not SOF like China which are trained for competitions
>>
>>28023008
What he said still stands. There are no concrete metrics. Be decently intelligent, responsible, hard worker, and be able to work well with a small amount of people for extended periods of time in shitty conditions.
>>
>>28023024
Isn't there more to it than that? I might sound ignorant (which I am, I don't know shit about armed forces), but these seem to be the standards normal infantry soldiers are held up to (excluding the "decently intelligent" part).

What do SOF operators in countries with competent armed forces have that soldiers in the army or navy do not, without getting into unit-specific requirements? Is the question just too broad?
>>
>>28023059
>What do special forces do that regular soldiers don't

Seriously?
>>
File: Carl.gif (275 KB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
Carl.gif
275 KB, 360x270
>>28023059
>but these seem to be the standards normal infantry soldiers are held up to
>>
>>28023059
>Is the question just too broad?

Yes. SOF asks for higher standards.
>>
>>28022151
Wasn't the average death rate of US military personnel abroad lower than the average death rate of people within the US?
>>
File: extremely painful.png (522 KB, 634x479) Image search: [Google]
extremely painful.png
522 KB, 634x479
>>28022828
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I_u4oZqF8c

How responsive are you to pain and discomfort?
>>
>>28023084
That stat moves once you exclude niggers.
>>
>>28023084
That might be true due to soldiers being young and healthy and not dying of heart disease or anything while abroad, but it sounds kinda fishy. However it is true that many civilian careers like logging and mining are more dangerous than infantry.
>>
>>28023084
it was, even more so in the Canadian army for a comparable segment of the population.
>>
>>28023084
US military personnel are fine abroad. But compared to civilians at home, their suicide rates are through the roof.
>>
>>28023109
That was pretty inspiring
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.