[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Digital Medium....
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: Brad Pitt.jpg (59 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
Brad Pitt.jpg
59 KB, 720x960
Hey there /ic/. Haven't been here in quite a long time, and I was never really a regular. I haven't drawn anything aside from a doodle here or there in years. But the other day, I was sitting in a waiting room with nothing to do, so I flipped over a piece of paper and decided to draw. I have always just drawn creative stuff and I learned to draw from comic books when I was a kid, so I was never bug on caring how "realistic" something looked. But I decided to try and draw a man's face because when I do try and draw realistic, I always draw women.

For some reason Brad Pitt popped up when I googled "man face". All I had was a ball point pen I was given to fill out my paperwork, and this is what resulted...What do you think?

Also, I have to say I am extremely surprised if not a little bit terrified at the amount of work on here that is done digitally. Does anyone actually really draw or paint any more with real materials? WTF? I'm not knocking it, it's just very strange to me. It seems to really lack.....I don't know....it just feels artificial.
>>
>>2563331
>>
>>2567976
I see that, and I assumed that there was a draw thread. However, upon coming here, every single image I saw of a piece by an anon was done digitally. And that is the subject of this thread. I am not trying to hurt anyone's butt, I am asking why. Is it just because it is cheaper and more convenient? I don't feel that is a good excuse, as you can see, I drew this with just a ball point pen. I know it isn't great, but it has style at least.
>>
>>2567981
First of all, this isn't your personal blog. Nobody cares about the context of babby's first referenced drawing. Second, if you lurked for even a few minutes, you'd answer your own questions.

Many, many people here post traditional pieces. Try posting in the beginner thread.
>>
File: backinmyday.jpg (225 KB, 923x960) Image search: [Google]
backinmyday.jpg
225 KB, 923x960
>>2567968

Welcome to the future, grandpa.
>>
>>2567981
You are trying way too hard, dude.
>>
>>2567986
You don't have to be fucking rude. My post was not a rules violation. I know that it is not my personal blog, but it doesn't hurt anyone for me to make a thread.

I apologize for being excited because I was happy with my drawing. I didn't know that was a crime.

I am not a beginner. I have been drawing for fun for 30 years. I also used to be a painter with pieces in gallery and sold many works for up to $250. I also used to do commission pieces.

So, the context of my OP was relevant. I used to come here many years ago. Back then, it was mostly traditional mediums. I was just wondering what different anons reasons were for using the digital medium.
>>
>>2568039

>>2568036
>>
>>2568039
Lmao rekt

Most people here are young and into that plasticky anime look and dont understand that drawing digitally wont magically make you a better artist. Their parents usually buy them the tablets as well, the kind of people who shell out for a 100$ set of copics when their kids are still very much beginners. Many people dont have scanners as well and its much easier to participate in communities like deviant art with a tablet. You should really leave though /ic/ is such a shit board now its barely recognizeable.
>>
>>2568044

>>2568036
>>
>>2567968
>>2568039
>>2568044

Its interesting to me how the best traditional artists I've seen on /ic/ are also the most humble. Everytime someone posts inflammatory remarks against digital work or anime their own work is shit. Just look at this autist

>>2559778
>>2560136

Having elitist taste won't make your work any better you know.
>>
File: Looking In.jpg (22 KB, 409x547) Image search: [Google]
Looking In.jpg
22 KB, 409x547
>>2568047
I never claimed that my work was anything great. I pointed out that I haven't drawn in years and that I never attempted draw from reference before. Yes, I was proud of it, and at the same time, I came here expecting there to be several more skilled artists than myself who could offer some constructive criticism. But apparently this board isn't what it used to be.

I also never bashed digital artists. I simply said that I thought it feels artificial. I guess it's pretty good for anime type stuff, but it lacks soul IMO. And I just wanted to know why you guys preferred it. My comments were quite innocuous. Nothing inflammatory.

Also, >>2568044 isn't me.

And kek, I don't see how posting Bosch or liking real mediums makes me an elitist. I wasn't even aware that the digital medium had taken over here.

Pic is one of the first paintings I ever did when I was 13, before I even knew the difference between oil and acrylic.
>>
File: jaimejones.jpg (961 KB, 1200x802) Image search: [Google]
jaimejones.jpg
961 KB, 1200x802
Here's your critique: You made his face too long. Your shadow edges are too hard and are destroying the form. You've outlined him in a thick dark line, flattening him out. Pay more attention to edges in general I guess.

People like digital because you don't have to keep buying materials, it doesn't make a mess, and you can easily change things.
>>
>>2568133
Well, it was in ball point pen, so the dark lines are there to clean up the form and cover mistakes. The shadow edges where there for basically the same reason. This is the thing about drawing in non digital format, especially in ink. It is more of a challenge, you have to be sure of your strokes. It makes you a better artist. That is why it takes skill that the digital format doesn't require. If you make a mistake in digital, its just ctrl+z to fix it. But thank you for the real post.
>>
>>2567968
I too am surprised at the amount of people using tablets and such. I'll stick with my pad and pencil

>>2567986
shut up faggot
>>
To answer your question, I think digital is used for 2 main reasons.
1. It's super popular. People on 4chan will obviously be into more commercial art like comics or video game concept art as opposed to traditional fine art type stuff, so they'll probably be drawn more to that type of stuff. Also since so many people are already doing digital work, when a beginner comes here he kinda gets drawn to it because so many people are already doing digital.
2. Its a super versatile medium with a low barrier of entry. If people want to paint or do stuff with color the cost can really stack up if you're paying for oils or copics. With digital you just need a tablet and Photoshop. Also going back to the thing about commercial art, there's a lot of people on here who want to move above a hobbies level and do art for a living. These days the most viable art jobs are commercial art, which is mostly done digitally.
>>
>>2568138
>excuses excuses excuses
that\s all I hear, I know very well what drawing in a pen is granpa, I draw in digital, pen, pencil, brushes, I like to try out everything because each medium teaches you something.

You are not special for drawing traditionally
>>
>>2568143
>I'll stick with my iPad and Pencil
>>
>>2568138
I knew you would brush off any critique with excuses.

Digital is just another medium. It has advantages and disadvantages. One disadvantage would be that it is difficult to get interesting mark making out of it compared to traditional mediums. But yeah... The two digital pieces I posted display more skill and style than you will ever have. So don't concern yourself too much with digital vs traditional.
>>
>>2568217
>>2568286
He doesn't even realize that skill determines your level, not how long you've been treading the same shit water. Don't bother. Cancer and cancer enablers like >>2568143 aren't worth your energy.
>>
>>2568039
>I'll have you know I have over 250 confirmed kills
>>
>>2568232
Yeah nah, I don't fuck with digital shit
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.