[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one stop drawing with lines and begin painting straight
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 9
File: tumblr_nj7qhdgwg21u3jedmo1_1280.jpg (432 KB, 900x1224) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nj7qhdgwg21u3jedmo1_1280.jpg
432 KB, 900x1224
How does one stop drawing with lines and begin painting straight onto a canvas digitally?
The learning curve seems terrifyingly steep and I really don't even know where our how to start. Does anybody here have any good tips, advice or video tuts on how to make the transition?
>>
File: not me.gif (2 MB, 1000x651) Image search: [Google]
not me.gif
2 MB, 1000x651
>>2584181
ok i'll post this here so other digital artists can screencap or whatever. I can't attach multiple mages, but i'll probably post a few times.

Digital Rendering requires four skills:
>1. the ability to paint from light-to-dark
>2. the ability to paint from dark-to-light
>3. an understanding of the anatomy of light
>4. an understanding of edge control.

if you look at the gif he's pretty much looping skills 1 and 2 until he gets the result he wants. Consistent lighting requires skill 3, and believable form requires skill 4.
>>
File: Form_Principle.sm_.jpg (70 KB, 632x500) Image search: [Google]
Form_Principle.sm_.jpg
70 KB, 632x500
>>2584229

this is the anatomy of light i'm referring to.

Here are some videos I found to explain light properties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx-TwkMtPwc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPz8Xyt3z-w

When you paint with lines, you ultimately end up just painting them out, so in a way you answered your own question:

>begin painting straight onto a canvas digitally

you can fix your mistakes very easily in digital, you have an unlimited supply of every color forever, so if you're willing to scrap huge chunks of your image you can experiment like crazy.
>>
File: formstudy.jpg (36 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
formstudy.jpg
36 KB, 640x640
>>2584245
Edge control is an important aspect of painting that's pretty hard to use properly.

Edges are the borders between two colors:
>a hard edge is an abrupt change between two colors,
>a soft edge is a smooth gradation between two colors.

Sinix talks about it here, but it's kind of watered down. I recommend reading alla prima or something similar if you're serious about learning these painting concepts..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC3OxonJcXQ
>>
God bless you mystery man/woman, this actually helps me a lot.
>>
Nice arbitery mountain!
Oh theres some building on it ?and a waterfall. How original!

great sensitivity!!
>>
>>2584181
You don't. Going straight into painting is a meme process for rocky landscape speedpaintings. The drawing stage is where you figure out the design, perspective, composition, scale etc. The less experience you have, the more time you should spend on this stage to develop a fleshed out sketch that has all the information you need for you to get to the painting.
>>
>>2584620

Nice unique way of spelling 'arbitrary' :^)
>>
>>2584653

One could say it's rather... Arbitery
>>
>>2584666

Kek la Kek
>>
File: 1391021132792.jpg (249 KB, 951x535) Image search: [Google]
1391021132792.jpg
249 KB, 951x535
>>2584181
>>2584229
both of these have line drawings.
Mrjack have some of the nicest linework of any digital artist i've seen aswell.

To answere OP. You need to have the skills required to do good linework to do paintings without linework. So learn how to draw and you will eventaully get good enough at it till you get to the point where you can visualize the shapes and edges without putting them down as lines. Understanding a certain type of lighting is also important because when you do painting you are putting in some rendering at the same time as your shapes.

Skipping linework shouldn't really be a goal though since it's a more complex type of workflow and can easily end up being more time consuming even though you'd think it would be faster, because you are bound to make more mistakes when you have to juggle mutliple things at the same time.
Most people that are able to paint without lines still do lines because it's a more efficient way of working consistently.
>>
>>2584267
>woman

No vaginal jews on 4chin
>>
>>2584897

Wow it's like I'm really back in 2008 again! Well meme'd friendo xD bur bur bur
>>
>>2585149

There is a forum that may be more suited to your tastes, it's called tumblr and you should stay there instead of trying to co-opt 4chan you stupid kike.
>>
File: 1464312278100.jpg (244 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
1464312278100.jpg
244 KB, 960x1280
>>2585837
Wow anon so edgy XDDDDD
ebin ;DDDD
>>
>>2585837
anon 1: woman are dumb like jews
anon 2: 4chan doesn't do that anymore
anon 1: *wordswordswords* >tumblr
anon 3: we don't... do that anymore, and it didn't make sense in the first place either

damn you got defensive about "vagina jew" being an old meme and isntantly brought out the "oh yeah well tumblrina is dumb and for girls because it is dumb" guns as if that had anything to do with anything. like, to be real tho how far must your misogyny run
>>
>>2584255
>16:50
>he just completely redos everything
JUST
>>
>>2584718
>You need to have the skills required to do good linework to do paintings

That's not true, you can do a lot using silhouette and blocking in and refining shapes, but you will get to a point where you realise how important line drawing is and regret not putting in the time to learn how to actually draw. Dave Rapoza talks about this topic in his bog witch tutorial and said he never used to draw much he would just paint with large brushstrokes and he didn't learn to draw properly until after he could paint. Being able to do both is ideal but you can learn to paint well before you become competent at drawing.
>>
>>2585844
>>2585853

I didn't even write the vaginal jew post, I just think it's funny that you cunts are trying to turn 4chan into a safe space, it's never going to work, no amount of "hurr duurr le edgy" bullshit is going to change the nature of this place, why would you even come here if you're so easily offended?
>>
>>2585859
just gonna jump into this thread to ask- as a pleb do you think i could do stuff like this
>>2584296
to try and start learning to paint while i also learn to draw? or should i hold off a bit longer before trying to paint?
>>
File: 1411395057545.jpg (301 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1411395057545.jpg
301 KB, 1920x1200
>>2585853
>4chan doesn't do that anymore
kill yourself you disgusting landwhale
>>
>>2585881

Yes you definitely can but I wouldn't recommend it, you should set aside equal time to to learn line drawing as well as painting. If you don't then you will get to a stage where properly learning to draw feels daunting because you're painting skills are so much higher and the tendency is to just stick with what you already know.
Basically I know it sounds stupidly simple but you should be practising everything, don't neglect any one aspect of art because you will end up bottle-necking somewhere down the line and trying to correct that imbalance is frustrating.
>>
>>2585906
i fully plan to spend the majority of my time learning drawing, that example was a nice breather though, so i was curious, thanks for the advice
>>
File: 1359035878671.gif (2 MB, 360x203) Image search: [Google]
1359035878671.gif
2 MB, 360x203
>>2585853
>making it seem like it's just one guy saying "offensive" shit and many guys saying "we don't do this anymore"
I don't care what people here say or don't say but I fucking hate mongoloids like you pretending like le 4chinz is a hivemind and anons should follow some kind of arbitrary rules of "what we say and what we don't say". You're free to disagree with what an anon says, but go fuck yourself if you think that you can control what people say. Go to a site where you can report or delete opinions or posts you don't agree with, you homunculus.
>>
>>2585909

No worries, I do feel like I should add to that though and say, depending on the artist, I know everyone learns a bit differently but I think there is a particular order some things need to be learned in. For example trying to understand colour will be difficult if you can't already render with values (greyscale) So understanding the fundamentals of rendering first will probably help you if you're struggling with colour. That's a big part of why people study bargue plates and sculpture, because it takes away all that extraneous information and just allows you to focus on form and lighting, and when you understand that you will start to understand how colour works. Again I can't reiterate enough how improving one aspect of art will improve all the other aspects of art so it's better to try to train all your skills equally, don't spend too long getting good at just one thing.
>>
>>2585916
i'm aware and i appreciate the reminding. i learned this lesson already when i discovered that my ability to draw from reference is relatively decent, but i sucks drawing from imagination. currently attempting to rectify that problem and expand my learning curriculum instead of doing laser focus on one topic at a time.

i appreciate all the mentorship i can get, no artfriends irl. thanks again
>>
>>2585906
Learning drawing first is unquestionably better, though. Painting is applied drawing skills, whereas going backwards means what you described. Rendering a turd syndrome.
>>
>>2585853
>4chan doesn't do that anymore
Yeah right. Because you know him in person, and he told you so, stupid twat.
>>
File: adventures.jpg (125 KB, 640x697) Image search: [Google]
adventures.jpg
125 KB, 640x697
>people who confuse painting with rendering
>>
>>2585959
Rendering is a part of the set painting, and so is drawing. To be good at painting, you need both.

If you meant >>2585935 , I wasn't doin that.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.