[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Uncohesive text on what is going on with Android.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: ANDROID.gif (47 KB, 1300x1800) Image search: [Google]
ANDROID.gif
47 KB, 1300x1800
Anybody else disappointed at how things worked out for android? At the amount of permissions we see apps asking for, with no inbuilt way of preventing them from using these permissions from the get go; with no disciplinary act against trivial use of too many permissions or clear stance from google on the matter?
The other day I tried to record the playback on android, I was not allowed. And the same way I there's restrant over extensions that download youtube content; I know it all makes sense. It makes sense, but it sucks.

In the same way as web pages, apps are getting bloated, fatter. To me there's two things to that:
1. I'm conservative towards these things, but today I made use of quickpic's wifi transfer, because some apk exporter on my tablet didn't allow me to send shit over bluetooth. Previously, it was ES Explorer with its multiple functions, they served me well. Remember when one app was supposed to do a single thing, but well done? The first example of this that I remember was mp3 downloaders that would create ringtones. Until then, it wasn't bad. And even know, there are good surprises.

2. But with this trend of one application attempting to be multiple ones, not only do I find it difficult to know what to pick and what to get rid of every new day, I also have to be wary that I don't update anything, because the new version might contain some newly added feature I didn't ask for, and call me an idiot, it's a pain in the ass to have to read a changelog (that oftentimes I can't read on the store itself) before updating something. Auto-update once was thought of as a convenience, remember?

As a result of all that, even flagship phones deal with lag. The specs improve massively, but somehow it's never enough.
I'm pretty sure that with the hardware we have now, if apps were simpler, we could be hooking up a bigger screen to our phones and doing work lower-end chromebooks are there to do. Even on an actual 'desktop' OS, like slitaz.
(1/2)
>>
Hell, you could make a case in which you could plug your phone, slide it inside, charge while you use it, write your shit, watch your videos, code light work, do simple stuff, even in 'beautiful' material design.

Imagine, full control to the plethora of components even the most basic phones have? Imagine having to live with less paranoia because every ordinary app has access to everything, because it's easier to call an API rather than trying to work around things? Would you rather have to ask your child to open the door from the inside when you come from work, or have it open all day with your kids in it while you are away, working?

Isn't it also a shame how the Play Store lacks a history of versions? F-Droid has it, it gives the user the choice. This would very easily make the regret of updating something easier to dissolve.
And please, don't come at me saying that 'uh, you can work around it, so why are you complaining?' Because the official stance is indifference. And having to work around lazy implementation is a pain in the ass. That's literally my pet-peeve with freetards, being a wannabe freetard myself; if you can work-around somehow, no need to make it easier, better, more convenient.

I know I don't bring news on this post. I know I'm preaching to the choir. It's frustrating regardless.
>>
>>54677780
They basically took linux and made it less functional and shoved a bunch of slow bloated java into its butthole.
>>
>>54677815
yes, and I'm finding better apps on f-droid than on the play store. or at least I'm feeling less miserable using the ones I find there than the others I find on the google play.

I walked away from Windows and found wonders on Linux, less supported, yes, but I wouldn't trade anything for it.
I walked away from the Play Store, found f-droid and the contrast is astonishing.
I do my best to avoid activating the google account on the phone, because as soon as I do that, it's downhill. The experience goes to shit, play services, play store and google apps will update itself. All useless.
>>
>>54677780
Someone should make an Android-compatible competing OS which actually lets the user do what they want and isn't build around strictly running applications compiled in Java.

I mean, could Google even do shit about it? They use the Linux kernel and a Java virtual machine. They don't own much of Android's core.
>>
>>54678013
You can disable pretty much any Google app you don't want to use. I used to add my Google account and then disable every service but email, contacts and calendars because I wanted all of that to be synced online automatically. Android doesn't let you natively uninstall preloaded software, but it lets you disable the great majority of it, including all Google apps.
>>
>>54677780
>with no inbuilt way of preventing them from using these permissions from the get go
Android M.
>with no disciplinary act against trivial use of too many permissions or clear stance from google on the matter?
Why would there be? People request the permissions in order to use features. It is hardly their fault if the feature they want to use is grouped under an umbrella you don't like.

For example, in one of my apps I want the audio volume to be dropped if it triggers during a phone call, but in order to check if you are taking a phone call at the time I need to use a permission that would also allow me to see the caller ID and other call information.
It's not that I am using those features, just if you are on a call, but if you just looked at the permission then you might think "why does he need to see my call information?".

Developers are partly hamstrung by overly concerned people and also partly also if they don't make the app open source so people can more easily see what the permissions are being used for.

Also, you're a faggot.
>>
>>54677780
You can deny permissions in Marshmallow. How on earth did you post this without knowing that?

>>54677783
F-Droid is an exception and not the norm. What you're talking about isn't a widely available feature for any other platform.
>>
>>54680687
Marshmallow? Most Android devices are stuck on like two or three versions ago.
>>
>>54677780
>At the amount of permissions we see apps asking for, with no inbuilt way of preventing them from using these permissions from the get go; with no disciplinary act against trivial use of too many permissions or clear stance from google on the matter?

Like 20 apps do the same thing. Pick the flashlight that doesnt need you gps location and access to you contact list.
>>
>>54680957
The only way you could be stuck with android from 2 or 3 versions ago is if the last time you bought a phone was 2 or 3 versions ago. You either care, and buy the new phone or you don't care.
>>
File: td.jpg (32 KB, 449x600) Image search: [Google]
td.jpg
32 KB, 449x600
>>54677780

Android is a fucking joke.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/05/20/pick_your_favourite_new_attack_pwns_60_percent_of_new_old_androids/
>>
once you get 80% marketshare why bother to improve something
>>
>>54677783

ARSE

>>
>>54681349
and this is why i never bought a smart phone, because if you care, you have to keep buying new phones new phones new phones new phones new phones new phones new phones new phones new phones new ph0nes new phones new phones nevv phones new phones new phones new phones new phones nes phon3s new phones new phones nes phones nw pn0ne5 rw bhons rw bh0mx 2dg e9k
>>
OTG and permission to write on external sd card on MM is a fucking joke
i have to edit packages.xml to grant write permission on external sd
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.