[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I signed up for my first CompSci course at Uni this fall.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 2p4i.png (5 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
2p4i.png
5 KB, 375x375
So I signed up for my first CompSci course at Uni this fall. It's primarily C#.

Did I do good?
>>
Sure, but your teacher is probably gonna be an object-oriented blowhard IG my college experience was any indication.

Learn C#. Learn what it's good for. But do so with a grain of salt, and be ready to analyze criticisms of OOP and imperative programming.

Then one day, give F# a try. That'll lead you down a functional rabbit-hole that's so goddamn fun, you'll be writing all kinds of ML and Lisp and other shit and wondering why the fuck they teach imperative and OOP in schools by default.

So yeah. Maintain your incredulity and skepticism while in classes, you're surrounded by inertial cruft and people who tend not to be polyglots or have any actual experience.
>>
>>54660161
Contrary to him, my first and only comp sci class was in Java. What is the big different between C# and Java? For example why would programmers particularly prefer one language over the other? (I know C has access to your memory)
>>
>>54660206
>What is the big different between C# and Java?
There are hardly any. C# is basically Microsoft's Java.
>>
>>54660161
>Then one day, give F# a try. That'll lead you down a functional rabbit-hole that's so goddamn fun, you'll be writing all kinds of ML and Lisp and other shit
Why would I throw away marketable skills for useless nuanced garbage?
>>
>>54660161
Functional programming is fun if you want to be homeless
>>
File: 1463363174146.jpg (618 KB, 1201x884) Image search: [Google]
1463363174146.jpg
618 KB, 1201x884
>>54659947
CompSci is not only about programming you niggerfaggot RRRRREEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>54660206
C# was basically Microsoft Java but only for Windows. Years later it's still somewhat like Java except it's actually good. C# now does what Java does except better and also has more features than Java.
>>
>>54659947
Are you good at math? Review basic algebra and combinatorics and you should be fine.
>>
C# is "Java with inconsistent syntax", due to cramming lot of features in the language.

As for what is better, it's relative.

Java is more mature, easy to maintain (jre backward compatibles) and lot of libraries.

C# have lots of feature on the language itself, but be surprise of non-standard term used in .NET library like Culture (instead Locale), etc.

Java have high-performance, easily parallelize-able function call with map, reduce, filter like many other language but C# use the slow and sluggish LINQ.
>>
>>54660206
C# has operator overloading and better generics.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.