[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I just stick with Windows
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
I've been using Windows since 1995. I like to think I've got pretty good with it. I can set it up to look how I like it, tweak it to run well on my hardware, and I enjoy playing video games and making video clips.

I am not a pedophile or a terrorist.

I see many Linux threads on here and I am often curious and I've had bouts of trying out Linux several times over the years but I always hit road blocks and end up going back to Windows where I can relax and do what I want to do without hassle. I know I could theoretically get to the same level of proficiency with Linux as I could with Windows. But is it really worth the effort? At the end of the day they do 99% the same thing.

On top of all that, these days I have been wanting to take my knowledge to the next level. Really know the ins and outs of the OS like the back of my hand to the point where I could list it on my resume.

An OS just a tool to help get to the real appeal of a computer: the individual pieces of software that are related to your specific needs. Most of that is available on Windows in one form or another. Why should I try to reinvent the wheel for myself learning a whole new system just to get back to a lot of the same pieces of software. Is Blender on Linux really that much better than Blender on Windows?

At this point should I relegate myself to being a "Windows Guy" and fully embrace Redmond?
>>
>>54628588
>But is it really worth the effort? At the end of the day they do 99% the same thing.
one spies on you. one doesn't.
one forces you to install the updates they push. one doesn't.
one charges you money, and is looking for ways to make more from you. one doesn't.
one runs only than just recent-model x86-64 PCs. one runs on everything.
one has batch files, one has proper scripting.
one looks how it looks and thats it. one has a bunch of customizable environments.
one is gratuitously incompatible with other software to try and lock you in to an ecosystem. one tries to work with as many other things as possible.

the question isn't "why change?", the question is "why stay?"
>>
>>54628736
There are easy rebuttals to all of those, and I'm sure you've heard them all before.

Give me something better.
>>
>>54628810
sounds like you don't want to be persuaded. sounds like you've already made up your mind what you're going to do and just want people to tell you you made the correct decision. You didn't, but whatever, it's your computer and life, if you want to waste it, no skin off my back.
>>
>>54628810
>Doesn't want to change
>>54628869
>Deflecting

popcorn.avi.exe
>>
>>54628588
If you dont enjoy learning new things, stick to old faithful. Some people are not very curious, it's ok.
>>
>>54628869
I haven't made up my mind but I've read the points you've made a hundred, maybe a thousand times before. I wanted a deeper discussion.
>>
>>54628588

When you're done baiting /g/ for excuses to live in ignorance of other solutions for a problem you don't really have.

It is entirely preferential and quite frankly it is best this way. If we didn't have choices, we'd be suffering through another lovely dark era where one group of lazy faggots decides Internet Explorer 6 is good enough for everyone and progress stands still.
>>
>>54628907
Nice bait m8. But if you really wanted deeper discussion, you would have given /g/ a prompt, or in reply to the other guy, you would have asked for clarity. The kids are asleep, your bullshit doesn't work here now.
>>
>>54628904
It's not that I don't want to learn new things, it's that I don't want to go back to the beginning again, or at least closer to it.

It's as if a person had studied German for five years to the point of being able to carry a conversation, but then had the choice to switch to learning to speak Spanish. Wouldn't it be better to go ahead and finish what you've started with German and become completely fluent, rather than only being mediocre in two different languages? We only have so much time in life.
>>
File: 1446070554637.jpg (170 KB, 615x462) Image search: [Google]
1446070554637.jpg
170 KB, 615x462
>>54628588
> Really know the ins and outs of the OS like the back of my hand to the point where I could list it on my resume.

Pajeet, which do you think makes more? windows guy or linux guy?
>>
File: 1452553200725.jpg (29 KB, 475x356) Image search: [Google]
1452553200725.jpg
29 KB, 475x356
>>54628961
NO, you just dont have a natural curiosity. "Going back to the beginning" is always involved in learning, which clearly you have a problem with.
Its not a black and white choice as you make it. If I lived in Texas, yes I would choose Spanish.
>>
>>54628947
There was no need for greater clarity, the post was well written.

>>54628967
Question is far too broad to answer. I suppose I could point out the richest man in all of the tech industry is a Windows guy.
>>
>>54629028
You can only go back to the beginning so many times. At some point you have to get to the advanced lessons and complete them.
>>
File: 1457582373516.gif (1 MB, 355x200) Image search: [Google]
1457582373516.gif
1 MB, 355x200
>>54629042
God you are insufferable. What do you want to hear? You are making a poor life decision trying a new OS? What advanced lesson on Windows do you need to learn? C#? Hacking your registry? There is only so much to learn on proprietary software, Pajeet. If you are so interested in how things work, and going to the next level, Linux is the only logical step you would take.
>>
>>54628588
>I am not a pedophile or a terrorist.
Windows might be the OS for you.
>>
>>54628588
>I enjoy playing video games
Stick with Windows.
>>
>>54629111
>>54629114
Samefag
>>
>>54628588
If you are unable to distinguish pros and cons between Windows and Linux by yourself, and find the very thought of trying something new obnoxious, you should not waste anytime here trying to be convinced to try alternatives, just use Windows and feel good.
>>
You should use whatever OS is:

a) more comfortable to use
b) working well with software you use at work/home
c) better suited for task you have

There is little philosophy in here otherwise. Some people make almost religion out of OS they use, even setting up something like dogmas like "Windows is pure evil" and "Linux is for pedophiles" or "Macs are for artfags" and try to evangelize everyone about thier view on the world.

For example, I do use Windows 7 at home, 8.1 on laptop and at work dual-boot 7 and Linux Mint. Other PCs at work exist solely for controlling single measurement stations, thus running on Xubuntu.

Software like Origin, AutoCAD/SolidWorks, several fitting software made for specific task in mind - all work only under Windows and dont have open-source counterparts (or have but those are much worse). I also like to play video games at home and Wine does not support Dx10 yet. There is little I would do at home with Linux distro and recently I use more of Windows than Linux at work too, simply because a lot of software require Windows to work.

There are tasks, where various Linux distros works better. Some are handled by Windows better. The key is to use proper tool for proper task.

Dont force yourself to use certain OS just because "everyone around use that". Would you wear pants on your head just because people around you does so too?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.