[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux 4.6 is out. Linus Torvalds Ships "Fairly Big"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: TheLittleSchemer.png (430 KB, 811x599) Image search: [Google]
TheLittleSchemer.png
430 KB, 811x599
>So 4.6 is out there at the normal
schedule, and that obviously also means that I'll start doing merge
window pull requests for 4.7 starting tomorrow.
>The 4.6 kernel on the whole was a fairly big
release - more commits than we've had in a while. But it all felt fairly calm despite that.

Source: https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/5/15/83
>>
>Linux kernel 4.6 “Charred Weasel” does come with its fair share of interesting changes.
>Many end users will notice performance improvements in the temperature control of their laptops, for example, because this version closes a quite serious bug that caused thermal throttling in some models of Lenovo laptops. Support for Dell laptops, including their Alienware gaming line of machines has also been improved.

>Embedded machines also get a boost with the support of 13 new ARM-based SoCs.
>Support for the 64-bit ARM architecture is chugging along nicely. Both performance enhancements and new features have made their way into the current kernel, which also now supports, among other things, the half-precision floating point format for binary numbers.

> Power9 processors. This hardware is typically built into high-end servers and, although Power8 and earlier versions are fully supported by the kernel, Power9 remains very much work in progress.

>Kernel 4.6 now supports OrangeFS, a modern scale-out network file system designed for use on high-end computing systems. OrangeFS provides very high performance access to multi-server based disk storage.

>Support for the Synaptics RMI4 protocol has also been added in this version. This translates into an improved support for touchscreens on a wide range of mobile devices.

>Developers have improved the drivers for many HIDs (read "game controllers") as well as for Intel's Skylake line of processors.

>Version 4.6 also improves the security of the EFI firmware, isolating its context from the rest of the kernel.

>Other security updates, including kernel memory protection by default on ARMv7+, arm64 and mandatory on x86, and more oulined by Kees Cook, are part of an ongoing effort to create "airbags for the kernel" by preventing bugs from becoming security issues.

Source: https://www.linux.com/news/linus-torvalds-ships-fairly-big-linux-kernel-46-release
>>
>>54608670
>it's a big development
>/g/ will only use it for ricing and shitposting
>>
>>54608698
At least they'll be doing it securely!
>>
>>54608698
for you.
>>
>>54608700
I seriously doubt this. Most of /g/ probably hasn't even changed the default port for SSH, disabled logging in as root and are running all of their services as root.
>>
>>54608670
Any updates for baytrail?
>>
4.6 enables ASLR for 32bit apparently?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-4.6-MM-32-bit-ASLR

Is it enabled on 64bit?
>>
>>54608670
>>54608676
Hell yeah
This genuinely made my day, I'm happy
>>
>>54609082
Just checked.

Ubuntu 16.04 doesn't fix any of the issues with my bay trail. Fuck that.
>>
>>54609082
>>54609641
But they have power9 support.
>>
>>54609696
Who fucking cares about Power these days?
>>
>>54608676
>Version 4.6 also improves the security of the EFI firmware, isolating its context from the rest of the kernel.
Does this mean rm -rf / doesn't brick laptops any more?
>>
>>54608737
I still use port 22 get fucked nerd.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.