[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do they really still use Video CDs in China? https://www.yo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: Untitled.jpg (260 KB, 1286x725) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
260 KB, 1286x725
Do they really still use Video CDs in China?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7PbQTlv5ig

I know the Chinks are poor, but don't be stuck in the fucking 90s.
>>
>>54321666
It seems like they are. VCD are counterfeit copies, be 100% sure about it.
>>
>>54322543
Are you sure?

They seem like retail releases for the Chinese market.

http://www.yesasia.com/global/mad-max-fury-road-2015-vcd-hong-kong-version/1045064409-0-0-0-en/info.html
>>
>>54322673
Ok, ok, I don't know for sure. But consider this:
1) Even in 3rd world countries DVDs are being deprecated, it's hardly possible to find a pirated DVD now, everybody is moving to a Blu-Ray.
2) Those VCDs doesn't look like retail copies: no booklets, no ads, no nothing. I may agree it's all about cutting the cost, but come on.
3) Colors on VCD are washed out, it looks like a camrip. Maybe it isn't the case, but I feel like quality should be better for a retail copy. I have seen better quality on counterfeit copies.
4) No Chinese audio track, subs only - that's not how you do it for a mass market, especially if you have the rights to distribute it in China, becase if you're paid for them, you already did a chinese track for a cinema release and there's no point to remove it from a VCD copy.
>>
>>54322841
You're making a lot of stupid assumptions there.
>>
>>54321666
>not putting 4k into the cd
top kek
>>
>>54322841
>1) Even in 3rd world countries DVDs are being deprecated, it's hardly possible to find a pirated DVD now, everybody is moving to a Blu-Ray.

Blu-ray isn't even close to overtaking DVD even in the first world.
>>
>>54322981
> Having 4k in a CD (700 MB oft storage)
Enjoy your 15 minute video
>>
>>54323478
I can buy blu-rays dirt cheap off Amazon, seems like they're already being phased out.
>>
>>54323509
Your personal impressions are irrelevant. DVDs have the highest market share. They're not being "phased out".
>>
>>54323509
When you can get a bluray player for 30USD at a grocery store that mainly sell food and some basic everyday consumables the format has taken over.
>>
If they used vp9/x265, DVD quality on CDs is possible
>>
>>54323682
VCD is MPEG-1 though.
Unless we are talking about "videos on a CD" and not "Video CDs"
>>
I'm surprised he couldn't get the VCD to play on his UHD Bluray Player.

We are talking about cents in implementing support in the disc reader itself and the codec licensing.

While I get progress, I don't see the point in removing features that are cheap to implement even if just a few people is going to care about it.
>>
>>54323803
Chinese manufacturers live entirely off of the cent they call their margin.
>>
>>54323482
With mpeg-1 codec for vcd players, more like 30 seconds.
>>
>>54323920
Doesn't matter. If you are complying with the VCD spec you are limited to 320x240. 480x480 for SVCD.
>>
>>54321666
I have a Chinese friend who bought some less-than-legal Chinese Apple TV clone.

With it he can watch pretty much any movie he wants (Both Chinese and Hollywood with Chinese voice overs) over the internet for free, plus live broadcasts of all Chinese TV channels.

But the internet connections in the rural areas are probably not good enough.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.