[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/, /k/ommando here. I have a pretty plain Dell laptop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20160430_044529.jpg (131 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160430_044529.jpg
131 KB, 1280x720
Hey /g/, /k/ommando here.

I have a pretty plain Dell laptop running Windows 10 on an Intel i3 I got from Walmart a few months ago. I just ordered a 500 gig SSD and 16 gigs of RAM. Will this make my computer not shit? Also, is there anything else that I can do to upgrade this laptop? I actually haven't upgraded a computer before so I'm not sure what other lttle shit you can do to upgrade it, aside from maybe overclocking. It already has Bluetooth too, so that's out.

These are the specific parts.
>>
>>54303650
upgrade your cpu (you potentially can)
upgrade your OS to gentoo
>>
>>54303650
>falling for the 16GiB meme
Care to state a single purpose of having so much RAM?
>>
File: 1398458247783.jpg (62 KB, 437x437) Image search: [Google]
1398458247783.jpg
62 KB, 437x437
SSD will make huge difference

RAM not so much unless you only have 2GB and constantly run out of RAM, but it's nice to have and won't hurt you

Other than that I don't think there's much you can do, but an SSD will usually give a huge performance improvement.

Maybe do a fresh install of Windows if you have a lot of crapware on it (usually the case with Walmart laptops). Make sure to get your Windows serial and a genuine Windows ISO, then there are thousands of noob-friendly tutorials on the internet to help you with that. Or you can go to >>>/g/sqt/, but it's really not that hard.
>>
>>54303678
>won't hurt you
it's gonna hurt his wallet
>inb4 it's cheap
typical murikan logic. I don't need something but I'll buy it anyway.
>>
>>54303752
>implying I'm murikan
>>
>>54303759
If you use that logic you're becoming intelectually american
>>
>>54303752
>RAM price hurting your wallet.
Typical Europoor
>>
>>54303771
You don't become rich by wasting money on shit you don't need. It's about having general rules in your life, fuccboi.
Who cares about the fact he's never gonna use more than 8GBs, let's get 16GBs because muh numbers!
>>
>>54303670
Running your OS in RAM.
>>
>>54303670

Virtualization tasks and heavy Mathematica computations. Then again they're running an i3, so your point still stands in OP's case.
>>
>>54303752
>it was literally only $20 difference

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-HyperX-1600MHz-HX316LS9IBK2-16/dp/B00KQCOV5C
>>
>>54304122
>1600MHz
>1600
>MHz
>not understading difference between MHz and MT/s
hahahaahhaha
>>
>>54304234
As I said, I'm from /k/, not /g/.
>>
>>54303650
SSD will be a huge boost.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.