[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ebikes are technology. Does anyone here have one? I'm considering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 15
File: qmpw4vR.jpg (608 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
qmpw4vR.jpg
608 KB, 1440x1080
ebikes are technology. Does anyone here have one?

I'm considering selling my motorcycle to build a nice one. I have an Electra Townie 7D frame I could build on, or I might buy a traditional front suspension 26" mountain bike off Craigslist instead, maybe an old Cannondale or something. I have a road bike as well but don't think 700c tires and no suspension would be the ideal choice for constantly riding at 25-30 MPH.

Kind of torn between a Magic Pie hub motor or the BaFang BBS02 mid drive. both appear to have distinct advantages and disadvantages.
>>
>>51315087
that looks really cool wow

i'm gonna look this shit up
>>
>>51315087
Ebikes are neither /g/ or /n/ now fuck off.
>>
File: M Townie 7D.Silver.610x432.jpg (37 KB, 610x432) Image search: [Google]
M Townie 7D.Silver.610x432.jpg
37 KB, 610x432
>>51315296

The bike pictured is an AWD build using two Magic Pie hub motors. The frame box contains all the electonics and the 20ah battery array. The owner says it has a range of 30+ miles on a single charge if you go easy on it, but it can also put down ~5000 watts on full load so it should be absurdly fast for an ebike.

I believe his frame is some sort of older Electra. I'd like to build basically the same design but with RWD only (room to expand to AWD later if desired). A 1500W 48V Magic Pie V4 kit is sometihng like $350 shipped, then I'd have to get a battery which could cost like $450 for a prebuilt 20AH (which would provide 40+ mile range) or significantly less for a shitload of 18650 batteries and a spot welder to assemble into the size/shape I want.

pic related is my bike, it's geared 1x7 but I wouldn't mind knocking it down to a single speed since I don't plan to pedal it ever. Also I'd integrate an LED headlight and taillight that run off the main battery and include dash switches on the top of the box for everything, maybe a small electric horn as well. My daily commute is around 12 miles round trip to work, gf's apartment is around 12 miles away by bicycle paths, it'd kick ass if i could just stop driving my truck and ride a bicycle constantly
>>
Hey, this is kinda cool.
How much would a full build cost?
>>
>>51315415
Yeah i plan on just commuting to school and shit with it. My daily driver is a V8 Mustang and getting 17mpg for just driving 5 miles is ridiculously wasteful
>>
File: ErTG0Ls.jpg (797 KB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
ErTG0Ls.jpg
797 KB, 2448x2448
>>51315415
now, obviously plans change once things are set in motion. I may decide most everything I want to do is just ridiculous excess once I start building. but right now i'm thinking, for this bike:

1500W 48V hub motor (rear)
custom battery/electronics box as pictured in OP, built from plywood frame with acrylic side panels, same as in OP (also pic related)
wrap box frame and sides in 3M Di Noc carbon pattern and gasket between frame/bike frame
20ah battery either off ebay/aliexpress or build my own from bulk 18650 batteries
LED headlight and flashing LED taillight, wired to power supply
electric horn
switches on top of box for power, HL, TL, horn, USB charging port
some sort of phone cradle on top of box, probably just a cutout big enough to stick a phone case in, phone case secured with Velcro
i'd also get a motor kit that includes an LCD readout and controls. They even make kits with cruise control now.

>>51315482
pictured build was over $2000 but is pretty excessive. you can realistically convert your bike for around $1000 and get 30+ mile range and top speeds around 30MPH. if you use pedal assist instead of relying solely on the motor range can double

>>51315512
Same issue, I get around 16MPG out of my truck and drive 100+ miles per week, this could easily replace 90% of my driving 9 months out of the year. I already ride 1500+ miles annually so it wouldn't be a big deal to bike every day
>>
>>51315553
Huh.. ya don't say. Any good links?
>>
>>51315087
That looks tactical as heck
>>
>>51315596
https://www.reddit.com/r/ebikes/wiki/index
endless-sphere.com
>>
>>51315622
Oh wow these can get pretty cheap. Cool, I like this thread now

research time
>>
also, here's a pre-built that the OP bike is attempting to mimic in performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEdETIjfngo

This is a Stealth B52 and they go for upwards of $10,000. Look how much fun this hoon is having though. Again, OP bike cost around $2000 to build.
>>
Can I buy these pre-built?
>>
>>51315673

you can but they cost a small (or moderate) fortune for a decent one. The sub-$1000 ones are all very slow and have tiny batteries. Also most pre-builts acknowledge the law and have speed governors etc. to make them even less fun.

Stealth seems to be a big part of the DIY ebike scene. Everyone wants to build something that just looks like a regular bike to most people. That way you can be flying down the road, powered entirely by the bicycle, and not have to worry about johnny law getting in your business for having a good time.
>>
>>51315811
Just watched that video, holy fuck am I ever sold, that guy was having a blast.

Unfortunately it's winter most of the year here, but that would still be awesome.
>>
>>51315857

throw some studded tires on it, wear a helmet, and go apeshit
>>
>>51315670
>9000 USD
Absolutely disgusting. You can get an actual motorcycle and a half for that price.
>>
>>51316043

Yup. They charge what they want because it's an incredibly niche market still. The motorcycle I'm selling ('98 Suzuki GS500E) is much faster than that and is only worth around $1500.

here's a 1500W 48V conversion kit on eBay. this has everything you would need minus the battery, and is about $350 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-48V1500W-Hi-Speed-Electric-Bicycle-E-Bike-Hub-Motor-Conversion-Kit-/252155994308?hash=item3ab5ab20c4:g:c2cAAOSwhcJWOWjV

The battery is by far the most expensive component, however, and you should expect to pay upwards of $500 for a prebuilt 48V 20aH which would get you a nice 30 mile range.
>>
>>51315087
Why the hell would you sell a motorcycle for that? In every aspect it just looks like a a shittier version for people who can't get a motorcycle.
Also the massive compartment between your legs looks uncomfortable as fuck.
>>
>>51316130

The motorcycle just isn't for me. I hit a deer a year ago and almost killed myself, and just in general feel like I'm less in control over it than a bicycle. I love cycling.

Also, there are tons of bicycle/walking paths in my metro area that connect between my house, my office, and my girlfriend's apartment. Can't take the motorcycle on those.

The bike pictured in OP is just one person's design, and actually isn't as wide as it may appear: it's no wider than the crank arms. And you wouldn't be pedaling anyway. I think I'd build mine lower and back away from the front upright to give it a stealthier appearance.
>>
Seems really cool actually, OP; for once, OP is not a fag. Living in Cambridge at the moment, do you think these will turn into fedoras or just remain niche without being corrupted by hipsters and autists?
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (349 KB, 900x637) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
349 KB, 900x637
I think a battery box like pic related would provide more stealth. could mount the switches on either side of the top bar, mount LCD display and phone to the handlebars. flip the bars upside down for a drop effect, make it kind of like a cafe racer.

>>51316347
well, that's a good question. I think once they hit mainstream tons of people of all walks of life will ride them. But they may get a fedora association anyway since NEETs generally can't afford gas, insurance, or a car, or be bothered to get a driver's license. It remains to be seen, honestly.

But I bet we have another 5+ years before these catch on so much that the cops and government become aware of them and ruin everything.
>>
>>51315670
Fucking insane
>this is how it's done, cunt
>>
>>51316431
>"suckerssss"
>"suck shit"
>>
File: trek electric_bikes.png (196 KB, 410x390) Image search: [Google]
trek electric_bikes.png
196 KB, 410x390
>>51316208
As somebody who cycles to university everyday, I've seen quite a number of near misses/scary situations with on electric bikes once they started to get popular in my country.
From what I've heard they accelerate surprisingly quick and that's just those 15 mph models (the only legal ones here).
So just don't assume it's all that safer/more controllable than a motorcycle just because it has the word bike in it.

Also if you do get one, don't act like a fucking idiot. Cutting blind corners at 15-20 mph isn't just reckless, it also endangers other cyclists. a guy on a race bike once crashed into me at speed and the guy went flying.
>>
File: besv ps1.jpg (161 KB, 818x614) Image search: [Google]
besv ps1.jpg
161 KB, 818x614
i've got one of these cuties. shipping a bike is a nightmare though.
>>
>>51316548

I understand your concern anon. The problem is these are available to fucking anyone, which, actually, is kind of a problem with regular bicycles as well. People are stupid, and cycling at any university in my experience is pretty sketchy because you've got a shitload of 18 year olds who have never ridden before cruising around on sidewalks. Add a motor to that and yeah, things are going to get even more sketchy.

I've been riding for 20 years though, put over a thousand miles a year on my road bike, ride in streets constantly and can get my roadie up over 30MPH under my own power. It'll be fine brah

oh also I plan to start wearing pic related when riding muh nasty ebike. currently never wear a helmet because they're gay, but adding a motor to the equation may make a full face one worth it (gloves too)
>>
File: super-2r_red-blk-aggression_r.png (308 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
super-2r_red-blk-aggression_r.png
308 KB, 600x600
>>51316625
oops
>>
File: DSC_3510.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3510.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
I gots one, "500W" rear hub motor (the controller will actually put about 730W to it on a fresh battery, according to the amp limit on the controller and the battery voltage it should be even more but something's limiting it somewhere). Does me well for commuting to work when I'm either feeling lazy or don't want to hold up car drivers too much.

Considering adding a motor up front but need to do more research on what's involved.
>>
>>51316928
>A motor both on front and back wheel
Are you sure about that, son?
>>
>>51316928

what kind of range/speed do you get out of it? and how big is that battery? I'm guessing under 10 amp hours?
>>
File: 1446216498607.jpg (26 KB, 236x235) Image search: [Google]
1446216498607.jpg
26 KB, 236x235
Why do you bike faggots have to have everything end in "ie"? Fixie, townie, etc. You are all retarded, and should know why folks like me swerve to sideswipe you in my monster Tundra.
>>
>>51316928
>>51316959
hmm, so do you gain with that anyway? doubt there's any noticeable efficiency. Only think i think of is faster acceleration and regen breaking
>>
File: 1445347001432.jpg (22 KB, 258x241) Image search: [Google]
1445347001432.jpg
22 KB, 258x241
>>51315367
This is how all non-techology threads start, with that same, toothless exclamation... "cat litter is technology"
>>
tfw commiefornia requires all ebikes to be locked at or have shitty motors to go under 20mph

feels
>>
>>51317068
how the fuck is a bike with a fucking computer attatched to it determing throttle, power and other shit not technology

fuck off inbred
>>
File: 1445234574650.gif (2 MB, 176x144) Image search: [Google]
1445234574650.gif
2 MB, 176x144
>>51316093
>Guangdong, China
Enjoy your leaded crotch fire.
>>
File: monster821.jpg (146 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
monster821.jpg
146 KB, 960x540
>Not owning a real bike
You plebs
>>
File: why-00043.jpg (83 KB, 769x720) Image search: [Google]
why-00043.jpg
83 KB, 769x720
Why the fuck don't you just pedal?
>>
>>51316959
Are you trying to imply that's not possible? Because it is, you only need look at the OP image to see that. If you're trying to ask something else then you'll need to clarify your question.

>>51316960
Regarding speed, the motor with no load tops out at 32mph. How close you can get to that whilst riding the bike depends on a few things, such as rider weight (I'm about 60kg), how hard and fast you can pedal, and where you're riding (off or on road, flat, uphill, or downhill).

No pedalling it'll do about 22-24mph on flat ground (tucking helps), give it some pedal and I can get it up to about 28mph. Going downhill and pedalling I can get it just over the motor's limit which is also the limit of the gearing for me (now have a 48t up front, biggest I could find).

Regarding range, that's not really a question I can answer. Both because I don't really take note of it and because it can vary drastically. If I use just the motor then I can probably drain the battery under 10 miles, I usually have the motor set to cut out over 15mph so if I keep the bike above that speed (not hard at all) then how long the battery lasts depends on how many hills or stops I encounter.

Battery is 13Ah 36V

>>51317063
I don't have regen braking. For me it's a gain, I can accelerate much quicker (quick enough to keep up with cars as they pull away), climb hills easier and faster (16mph up pretty steep hills with hardly any effort on my part), and like I said there are times when I feel like being lazy.

It's also fun, I'd consider that a gain too.
>>
File: 1441919848242.jpg (8 KB, 283x238) Image search: [Google]
1441919848242.jpg
8 KB, 283x238
>there is fucking legislation on electrical bikes which introduces speed limits and shit
Good lord those gubberment faggots deserve to be strangled.
>>
>>51317194
The same with normal bicycles. Are you retarded?
>>
>>51317218
I always go fast on my bike and I don't feel like breaking the traffic regulations
>>
>>51317026
the bicycle model is literally "Townie". Townie is a slang term for people who live in a college town but don't go to college.

anyway suck my dick i guess

>>51317102
>implying any of these aren't manufactured in china
I know you're just being a kneejerk faggot but all these kits are chinese and generally work great. there are hundreds if not thousands of builds on record with almost no issues with hub drive motors.

>>51317128
>y u no pedal
I do pedal, a lot, recreationally. But if I want to commute 10 miles on a bicycle that's not really going to work because I don't want to show up at my office all sweaty.

>>51317167
good advice anon
>>
File: 1390209386625.jpg (73 KB, 1020x759) Image search: [Google]
1390209386625.jpg
73 KB, 1020x759
>>51317068
my ebike is ran with a raspi

>>>/reddit/

>>51317128
you can pedal as well as use the throttle, some controllers allow a mode that powers the motor when you pedal effectively trippling your speed

I can get to much much farther places in half the time and with less sweat. imagine riding to work without looking like shit
>>
>>51317261
Isn't that common? Do they not let you change at work?

>>51317248
If you ride a bicycle on the road you have to obey the same laws they do, with a few exceptions (Being able to go through a red light at an empty intersection for example)
>>
>>51317296
>Isn't that common? Do they not let you change at work?

No, showing up to work sweaty is not common in my country. Most people commute by car or subway. I could theoretically change but that sounds like a hassle and I'd still just be a somewhat sweaty guy in clean clothes.

I did once work at a place that had a shower and that was cool. It was 15 miles from my house and I biked in once or twice a week, took a shower, got dressed. Not a bad way to do things. But that's definitely not the norm here.
>>
>>51317296
>If you ride a bicycle on the road you have to obey the same laws they do, with a few exceptions (Being able to go through a red light at an empty intersection for example)
Oh I'm not talking about it.

I'm talking about the regulation which makes those electric assisted bikes
>apply electrical engine only when the biker is pedalling
>cut off electrical engine when the speed is over 25km/h
>limits the engine power to laughable 250W
>>
>>51317379
tfw californa doesnt have any laws other than requiring it to go below 20 mph since anything over is considered a motor vehicle which involves being treated like a motor cycle
>>
>>51317379
There's nothing stopping you from modifying it or buying your own motor.

>25km/h
That's like my averages leisure ride speed on a road bike. What the fuck?
>>
>faster than people's expectations for a bicycle, frequently get cut off by people pulling out of parking lots
>still too slow to keep up with traffic

ebikes are collision generation machines
>>
>>51317379
this is exactly why stealth is so important to so many DIY builds. High power builds are not street legal even if they could easily be used at street legal speeds. Plus who wants a pig poking around your custom build trying to figure out its wattage and whatnot.

25km/hr is ridiculously low. that's 15 miles an hour. That's lower than my average speed riding a regular bicycle.

Where I live, "motorized bicycles" are limited to 30MPH, but regular bicycles are allowed to travel at up to the speed limit. Again another reason for stealth.
>>
>stopped before a main street coming from a residential road at night
>look left - empty
>look right - empty
>look left - empty
>creep forward
>look right - SUDDENLY A CYCLER in ALL BLACK. biking against the traffic on the sidewalk
>slam brakes. biker looks at me like im an idiot

fucking hate entitled cyclers.
>>
>>51317563
If he didn't have a blinker on his bicycle he would have been at fault even if you had hit him, so I don't see why you're upset.
>>
>>51317461
I don't know the situation other countries, but it has to do with moped/scooter regulations.
Mopeds up to 25kmh (15mph) don't require a license while mopeds up to 50 kmh (30-33 mph) require a license (just a basic theoretical driving test).
To avoid discussion between the difference between a moped and an e-bike, they extended the regulations to e-bikes.
>>
>>51317600

because waaah cyclists. standard reaction by people who don't ride. focus on the one shitty cyclist experience they had, ignore the million times someone in traffic has almost killed you by not looking or whatever

shitty people exist everywhere and take all modes of transportation
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.