[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So let me try to understand this. >/g/ loves technology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: 1449283019222.gif (342 KB, 855x389) Image search: [Google]
1449283019222.gif
342 KB, 855x389
So let me try to understand this.

>/g/ loves technology
>/g/ loves Linux
>/g/ probably builds their own computers
>/g/ probably puts decent hardware in their computers
>/g/ hates Unity and Gnome because it takes up too many "resources"

I understand if you're running a really old Chinkpad, like a T61, but how the fuck can you possibly not be able to run Gnome or Unity?

>B-BUT M-MUH SPEED

Does that little bit of speed make that big of a difference /g/?
>>
wasted resources are wasted resources, anon

i COULD run gnome or unity, but they both contain no features over my current openbox/tint2 setup that i want

so it's not really "why don't i use them", but "why should i use them"
>>
>>51281701
>>51281770
>so it's not really "why don't i use them", but "why should i use them"
>>
>>51281770
>>51281870
>Polished DE with tons of features
>Responsive and fast
>Lots of intricate little feature already built in
>Tested and used by people who know what they're doing
>Constantly evolving, being updated and optimized for you
>Security updates

I mean, what else do you want?
>>
>>51281701
I am running a really old Chinkpad, a T61 in fact.

And when you can notice the difference in performance between, say, lxde vs xfce or suckless's surf vs chromium, you know there's something seriously wrong with the bloated mainstream out there when you can get literally the same features with none of the suck.

Beefier hardware is no reason to write unoptimized, bloated software.
>>
The T61 with Core 2 Duo Merom/Penryn and GMA 965 can run both Unity and GNOME 3.18 fine. Are you high?
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 390x277) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 390x277
>>51281701
>implying /g/ is a person
>>
>>51281770
the only resources that are wasted, are unused resources.
>>
File: 1444134207390.jpg (13 KB, 480x209) Image search: [Google]
1444134207390.jpg
13 KB, 480x209
>>51281921
6/10, I almost responded seriously. Have a (you)
>>
>>51281970
> Beefier hardware is no reason to write unoptimized, bloated software.

This
>>
>>51281701
>>/g/ loves technology
I hate it.

>>/g/ loves Linux
true

>>/g/ probably builds their own computers
couldn't care less about hardware so I don't

>>/g/ probably puts decent hardware in their computers
whatever comes built in

>>/g/ hates Unity and Gnome because it takes up too many "resources"
Not because it takes up too many resources but because all I need is a WM and an anime wallpaper.
>>
File: 1366052432640.jpg (40 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
1366052432640.jpg
40 KB, 576x432
>>51282128
this anon understands
>>
>>51281701
I don't like gnome because it straight up looks like garbage and is borderline unusable until you tinker with it to work exactly like another DE. Unity actually looks somewhat good and has all the functionality you need out of the box.

Both DEs are meh tier but gnome is just fucking awful and you should feel bad for using it.

Then again all arguments on /g/ are pretty subjective, use whatever the fuck you want.
>>
>>51281701
>>/g/ hates Unity and Gnome because it takes up too many "resources"
u wot m8?
Unity is shit because docks are shit and Gnome 3 is just one fucking usability disaster, resources have nothing to do with it.
>>
>B-But Logan uses Gnome
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.