[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do i make a video game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: grim.png (524 KB, 600x683) Image search: [Google]
grim.png
524 KB, 600x683
How do i make a video game?
>>
https://unity3d.com/
>>
>>51262967
Go read into the forums of engines to use. They have communities that help each other out. I'd suggest either Unity or Unreal. The Crysis engine is also good, but I'm high as fuck right now and can't remember the name of it. If you go Unity then don't buy those premade shit they sail. It doesn't help your learning buying premade assets that a bunch of assholes use. Look at the engine's websites, look at the forums, watch YouTube videos (there are guides people made), and pick one that you feel would be good for you.
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>51262967
Learn C++ use SFML post results please.
>>
If you are interested in working with free software, consider using the love2d or the Godot engine.
>>
>>51263961
Another vote for LÖVE here, it's orgasmic.
>>
>>51262967
install gentoo
>>
iPhone 6S
>>
Steal gameplay elements from good games, mix with memes.

WA LA! Undertake!
>>
File: 1439847094209.jpg (27 KB, 360x480) Image search: [Google]
1439847094209.jpg
27 KB, 360x480
>>51264312
>WA LA
Seriously?
>>
Any recommendations on what engine to use for 2d sidescrollers/platformers?
>>
>>51264539
it's a meme you dip
>>
>>51264559
LÖVE
>>
First you have a shitload of ideas

Then you sell them to some studio

Then there's the ???

And then you'll be rich

You don't actually need to program, just have good ideas

>>>/v/
>>
File: top tier engine chart.png (200 KB, 752x883) Image search: [Google]
top tier engine chart.png
200 KB, 752x883
>>51262967
>>
>>51262967
Ask yourself this, anon. Why do you want to make a video game? Is it because you want to create something you wish to play? For the money? Perhaps just for the sake of being a game developer?

If any of those are part of your reasoning, just give up now because you won't get far. You'll probably go learn a bit of Java and give up before you do anything useful with it.

Instead, rethink your life. Go find something you'll find enjoyable and do that instead.

The only acceptable reason for making a video game is the challenge itself. If you're not doing it for the challenge, you'll fall into an endless spiral of motivation loss and eventually just give up anyway.
>>
File: UNITY3.jpg (2 MB, 1486x2901) Image search: [Google]
UNITY3.jpg
2 MB, 1486x2901
>>51264765
90% indie games that have had successful kickstarter campaigns were made with Unity, by the way.
>>
>>51264765
>comparing OpenGL and DirectX to game engines
what are you even doing? I hope you realize all the engines in there use these APIs to create their graphics.
>>
>>51264844
It means you use C++ with openGL/DirectX without any frameworks/game libs

that's why it says OpenGL/DirectX + C/C++
>>
>>51264765
what about android games or regular apps?
>>
File: 1401489229226.gif (1 MB, 328x198) Image search: [Google]
1401489229226.gif
1 MB, 328x198
>>51264765
What is it about LOVE that makes people like it so much?
Also XNA should be in the "who the fuck came up with this shit" tier.
>>
>>51264908
LUA
>>
>>51264814
>all correlations are true
Just fuck off.

>>51264908
Easy to use, well-designed API, great documentation. LUA is based as fuck, although one of its main benefits (easy integration with C) is irrelevant when using LÖVE, not that it matters.

LÖVE is love, LÖVE is life.
>>
>>51264902
Any game engine can export to mobile phones.

As for regular non-game phone apps, I don't know what tools people use. Probably just the SDK for whatever platform their developing for.
>>
>>51264928
I thought people would hate it because of Lua, as it's more of a scripting language. Then again, out of any scripting language, I'd prefer Lua.
>>
>>51262967
Unity is your best bet. I don't know about love, but now I'm intrigued and will check it out. Unity is free unless you make a lot of money off your game (100,000$ or more). Like one anon said, the forums are filled with help and helpful people. If it's 3d, use blender and learn to make your own shit, even if it's a square or a sphere, no matter. Most games didn't have the perfect models when making. I use a sphere until it's near complete, so I don't do modelling until later on. For 2d it's even easier. YouTube helps too, but don't follow through completely as they become too specific (ie how to make a platformer, not all will be the same). I usually look up the specific thing I want to add. You honestly don't need much programming experience besides some basic oop. You'll mostly be doing scripting with an engine. Seems like programming, but it's not. You'll literally be able to spit games out every week once you get a handle of it. And use c# if you use unity. Javascript is retarded.
>>
File: 1447015406101.jpg (25 KB, 552x594) Image search: [Google]
1447015406101.jpg
25 KB, 552x594
>>51264972
>all correlations are true
It's an objective fact that games made in Unity have the most successful KS campaigns. I'm not saying Unity is the best, but more just to give OP some..perspective
>>
>>51264765
Game maker should be in shit tier for all the shit tier games on Steam that it's responsible for.
>>
>>51265010
>objective fact
So you have proof? I'm guess no, since you didn't present it with your original argument.
>>
>>51262967
Step 1. Grab you penis
Step 2. Masturbate really hard

Now you'll have the next AAA title in 5-10 minutes :^)
>>
>>51264765
>torque game engine
>not in elder shit tier
This must be some sort of misunderstanding.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.