[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how is this shitty OS so popular?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 13
File: image.png (283 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
283 KB, 750x1334
how is this shitty OS so popular?
>>
>>53932191
> It's intuitive and easy to use
> You don't have to wait weeks/months/years to get a major OS update on a specific handset
> Developers prioritize iOS ports of software over Android/Windows, hence why iOS versions of apps/games are usually better
> 99.9% of consumers don't need an unneccessarily-complex OS for their mobile phone if 99.9% of consumers will just use it to communicate with people, take photos/videos, and play the occasional game or two
>>
File: NokiaN9apps-359x6402.png (149 KB, 359x640) Image search: [Google]
NokiaN9apps-359x6402.png
149 KB, 359x640
>>53932191
Enjoy your lagdroid we'll be rocking the good stuff
>>
> Developers prioritize iOS ports of software over Android/Windows, hence why iOS versions of apps/games are usually better

Honestly this. As an android user, this makes me sad.
>>
Because the competitors are even worse.
>>
File: OS Feature Comparison v3.png (2 MB, 2910x5889) Image search: [Google]
OS Feature Comparison v3.png
2 MB, 2910x5889
>no multitasking (apps in the background get "frozen")
>no file manager or access to the file system
>can't open/play files such as webm or open document, or save an animated gif
>only one browser allowed (all "alternative" ones are Safari with a different interface)
>switching between apps is super annoying compared to BB10 or even Android
>can't transfer files without iTunes
>>
File: gCYWpQaG_b8.jpg (423 KB, 1388x2048) Image search: [Google]
gCYWpQaG_b8.jpg
423 KB, 1388x2048
>>53932290
Most of these things aren't true anymore or don't matter, you can't justify Android lagging or having an abysmally bad UX

Pic related owns a nokia N9 and I fuck her in bed every day, what are you waiting for anon?
>>
File: wp_ss_20160408_0001.png (26 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20160408_0001.png
26 KB, 540x960
>>
File: BlackBerry 10 OS v2.jpg (2 MB, 5758x1440) Image search: [Google]
BlackBerry 10 OS v2.jpg
2 MB, 5758x1440
>>53932346
I'm enjoying my own dead-but-superior OS, senpai. I don't say Android is the solution, I'm just saying iOS is the worst I've ever used.
>>
>>53932191
Marketing

That's how Apple works baka tbqh famalamadingdong
>>
>>53932290
>no multitasking (apps in the background get "frozen")
This hasn't been the case for several years.

>can't open/play files such as webm or open document, or save an animated gif
There are apps that can take care of this; not to mention iMessage and other core apps have had GIF support for a while.

>only one browser allowed (all "alternative" ones are Safari with a different interface)
There are literally dozens of different browsers that have features Safari doesn't, like flash/webm support, extensive proxy-related settings/features, VPNs, etc.

>switching between apps is super annoying compared to BB10 or even Android
Double tap the home button, find the giant-ass, impossible-to-miss thumbnail of an app, and tap it.

>can't transfer files without iTunes
Haven't used iTunes in years, except for making backups.

What's with neckbeards and not even keeping up? I bet you think Macs can't right click and don't have games, either.
>>
File: 12312324155.jpg (46 KB, 607x1080) Image search: [Google]
12312324155.jpg
46 KB, 607x1080
>>53932290
>>no multitasking (apps in the background get "frozen")
false, I'm a developer and if you want you can make your app call functions n shit on background, (Like WhattsApp, Google Maps, etc)
>>no file manager or access to the file system
No need for that on a mobile OS.
>>can't open/play files such as webm or open document, or save an animated gif
Yes you can, even save gifs.
>>only one browser allowed (all "alternative" ones are Safari with a different interface)
True. But Safari is getting really good on mobile.
>>switching between apps is super annoying compared to BB10 or even Android
False, also switching apps with 3D touch is on another level, feels really good.
>>can't transfer files without iTunes
Technically you can (AirDrop, Download from Safari, Mail, etc.)
>>
>>53932404
>No need for that on a mobile OS.
What if you want to send someone a file, via e-mail of facebook or whatever? The only choices you have are "photos" and maybe "Dropbox" if you have it installed.
>Yes you can
I know VLC can open webms, but I want it to work in my browser. Also, which app for iOS can edit open document files?
>But Safari is getting really good on mobile.
It's not too bad, but it's still an asshole move from Apple. Remember when MS was forced to install this "Browser Choice" thing on Windows?
>>
>>53932265
This pretty much. There is no good phone iOS, just the least shit one, which is iOS.
>>
>>53932433
Since when do you decide what users need?
>>
File: 1457750936243.jpg (61 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1457750936243.jpg
61 KB, 720x960
>>53932436
>What if you want to send someone a file, via e-mail of facebook or whatever? The only choices you have are "photos" and maybe "Dropbox" if you have it installed.
Install Documents. Also it depends on the kind of file you want to send, like if it's a file from Pages, you just go to pages and share, if it's an image, you go to Photos and share. If you need more complex shit like zipping a bunch of shit and sharing it just download Documents.

> Also, which app for iOS can edit open document files?
idk man, doesn't mobile word open ODF yet?

About Safari, I agree, but it's also safer so fuck it.
>>
>>53932541
But you have to go the other way round. You can't just write an e-mail an the attach a picture, a document, and an MP3 or sth
>>
>>53932575
Those shoes are fukkin dope
>>
>>53932576
I know man the mail app is a pain in the ass. Hopefully they fix that shit on iOS 10.
>>
>>53932518
99% of the userbase doesnt need a file explorer
>>
>>53932433
>>53932575
Fuck you nigga, just yesterday I was happy I could send a keepass database from my laptop to my phone, rename it so it's hidden from anyone who can't use a shell and put it in the correct folder (it doesn't matter to the program but file organization is GREAT if you want to find stuff). Not to mention being able to make and access backups of your home computer shit. It's a fucking smartphone, it's supposed to be almost but not quite a desktop replacement. File system access is key to this.
> don't need
Oh yeah, Americans don't "need" guns, people don't "need" mobile phones or fast cars or any of that shit and yet they WANT it. Restricting those that want something just because the majority doesn't use it (or rarely uses it) is dumb.
>>
>Muh Applel is superior
>Muh Android is superior

I don't understand this shit. Who gives a fuck? It's like console kiddies slinging shit at each other because they prefer XBux or PayStation. Pathetic.
>>
>>53932860
Everything you originally posted you can't do you can but, I don't think you've ever used iOS in the last 3 years.

Keep moving those goal posts but for a function only 0.0000000000000001% of the population would use.
>>
>>53932901
>>53932860
That was a different guy. But I agree, a file explorer is an absolute must. Especially when there's a ton of garbage apps preinstalled which you can't even remove (e.g. iBooks, Podcasts, Game Center, Friends, Facetime etc.)
>>
One thing I don't see mentioned here is that android has to run on different hardware whereas apple controls that completely, so I would assume ios apps are faster and use less memory and storage.
>>
>>53932191
iOS is perfect for calling, texting and snapchat
>>
>>53932955
> FaceTime
> garbage
>>
IOS is a general piece of shit on the Enterprise and Business side managing it with an apple server or attempting to is generally useless and it's better to use third-party applications and services. Most schools that got signed into a contract with Apple basically bribed into it with the guarantee of good management and iPads are backing out because the management is terrible and schools are losing money. It would be better to go with a Google waste management for Android devices because their management is all Top tier and it works very well I can confirm
>>
>>53932254
Yup. Bought an iPad for gaming. Enjoying Liberty City Stories atm.
>>53932290
I can open Webms with AVPlayer. I click on them in Safari and then they open in AVPlayer.
>>
>>53933604
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XYZbH5w5Hs
>>
>>53933686
?
>>
>>53933706
That's me singing.
>>
File: androidisgarbage.png (750 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
androidisgarbage.png
750 KB, 1080x1920
>>53932191
>No spyware garbage
>Actually has a default Compass app
>Has a default Search / Finder app

Android is just a thing Google made to spy on you and sell you advertisements.

My iPhone was one of the best devices I have *ever* used. It was the original one (2007) and I still can't believe how amazing it was after jailbreaking it.

I loved the customization aspect so I bought an Android phone to replace it (Nexus 4)... unforgivable piece of junk.

For literally everything you do in Android, Google fucking HARASSES you to sign up for some shit, send them data, collect information yadda yadda from the second you turn the phone on the first time

Google are just straight up scumbags

>Turn on GPS
>"Do you consent to us tracking you?"
>There's a YES button and a NO button
>There's a checkbox to remember your choice
>Select checkbox
>NO button is greyed out

Literally fucking evil

Apple caters to plebs and they are WAY too expensive but they aren't sneaky underhanded pieces of shit
>>
>>53933451
>can only communicate with other Applel users
>not complete rubbish
>>
iOS used to be great, it was very efficient and required less computing power to operate smoothly than the bloated Android, it worked pretty much flawlessly before the true challenge between Android and iOS.

As devices got more powerful without being wasteful in terms of battery life, iOS suddenly lost its strong point, at which point Apple being the company it is, decided to gay the whole thing up and ruined everything. What used to be a light OS with all the unnecessary bloat not included, turned into a network-connection-always-required kind of abomination.

Not to say Google doesn't do that as well, but Android hasn't gone from being good to bad like iOS, it went from being bad to decent.
>>
>>53933775
is this real?
>>
>>53932226
> 99.9%
[citation needed]
>>
>no spyware
HHHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAAHH

All smartphones are spyware by definition.

You fucking babies need to grow up and throw away your little toys. Mommy doesn't need to track you any more.
>>
>>53933714
Nice, not sure why it is relevant here.
>>
>>53932251
>ios user
>calls better device lagdroid
>uses tmobile
Nitwit fag.
>>
>>53932346
So life is good in eastern europe?
>>
>>53933775
>This fags never used cyanogenmod obviously. The Nexus 4 rocks with CM. Does ios have their own version of privacy guard? Or are you a cuck to every app you download?
>>
>>53932290
>>no multitasking (apps in the background get "frozen")
doesn't really matter
>>no file manager or access to the file system
android doesn't have this either, unless you root the phone. But you can also root an iphone so...
depends on the browser, my android has problems with webms i sometimes need to open them in a new tab
>>only one browser allowed (all "alternative" ones are Safari with a different interface)
There is a chrome and Yandex browser on the iphone so I'm not sure where you're coming from
>>switching between apps is super annoying compared to BB10 or even Android
subjective
>>can't transfer files without iTunes
I don't see how that is a problem unless you are a FSFag in which case you probably wouldn't even own a smartphone

I don't see why you would need all these features on a phone anyway. Why do you need a file manager on your cell phone???

>>53932518
>makes laundry list of "features" not included on iOS
>"dude who put you in charge of deciding what the users want"
typical androidfags can't even get their arguments straight
>>
File: 1459061525087.jpg (106 KB, 685x676) Image search: [Google]
1459061525087.jpg
106 KB, 685x676
>>53935144
>>
>>53935232
I never mentioned video games + I stated that I use an android device in my post. Cool shitpost bro

>androidfag's rebuttal to an argument is an image macro
yes, iFags are truly the most childish of all
>>
>>53935144
Go back to your Macbook since you're obviously happy getting by with the absolute minimum amount of hardware and features possible.
>>
>>53935323
>absolute minimum amount of hardware and features possible

This is delusional even for an androidfag
>>
>>53935323
>since you're obviously happy getting by with the absolute minimum amount of hardware and features possible.
I do get by with a minimum amount of hardware; but I don't have a macbook, I use a T420

>no counter argument
>just "go back to your apple products!"
android elitists truly are the worst type of "people" on 4chan
>>
>>53932191
Android is buggy dogshit
>>
>>53935144
>multitasking doesn't really matter
yeah it's so nice that you need to keep the dropbox app open and the screen running while uploading a lot of photos. or that you can't play music from youtube in the background.

>android doesn't have this either, unless you root the phone. But you can also root an iphone so...
Android does have a (very simplistic) file manager and you can also install tons of good filemanagers that work without rooting anything
> Why do you need a file manager on your cell phone???
For example if you want to download an e-mail attachment or attach files of different formats to your e-mail, or if you need to upload a document to website via the browser etc. How can you even do anything besides browsing, chatting and games without access to the file system?

>There is a chrome and Yandex browser on the iphone so I'm not sure where you're coming from
yeah but they're just Safari with a different interface. the rendering (e.g. no webm support) is the same. why do you think it took ages for firefox to be released (and now it's just an embedded safari with firefox sync)?

also,
>no bluetooth file transfer
I personally don't use it often, but come on, this is just ridiculous
>>
Viral marketing
>>
>>53932955
>But I agree, a file explorer is an absolute must.
Only if you're sperg
>>
>>53935361
Who needs more than 1 port and a "retina" display amirite?

>>53935373
My argument is that other people have needs outside of your tiny knowledge bubble.
>>
>>53935425
If Apple would drop the Music app you'd probably also say "yeah, only stupid nerds even use that, 99% of people can live without it, just buy an iPod you sperg"
>>
>>53935402
>yeah it's so nice that you need to keep the dropbox app open and the screen running while uploading a lot of photos.
so you need to have that app open while it's tranferring all your files, and if you switch apps it won't continue the upload?

Okay, that is kinda shitty

>or that you can't play music from youtube in the background.
you can't do this with android either. when I switch apps from youtube (or get a text/whatever) the sound cuts off. I hardly use my phone as a music player though since I have a dedicated device.

>Android does have a (very simplistic) file manager and you can also install tons of good filemanagers that work without rooting anything
you need to be root to access some of the files. For example, I needed to check the wifi password that my mom's device remembered & I was literally unable to open the file to read the password, since I didn't have root. I do have a file manager installed though but I hardly ever use it

>For example if you want to download an e-mail attachment or attach files of different formats to your e-mail, or if you need to upload a document to website via the browser etc.
Not sure, but then again if I am composing a complicated email like that I would just use a computer.

>How can you even do anything besides browsing, chatting and games without access to the file system?
I have a galaxy s5 and this is like all I use my phone for. Are you like compiling programs on your phone or using it to log in to a remote server or something???

yeah I don't use bluetooth file transfer either I just upload to mega and download on my computer, or I just plug in the phone
>>
>>53932428
>Macs don't have "good" games
ftfy
>>
>>53935536
Even my mom extensively uses the file system on her Note 2. You're the edge case.

And youtube can play in the background using either Youtube Red, another app or exposed. Pretty sure you don't need root either.
>>
>>53935536
>>or that you can't play music from youtube in the background.
I can do this on my nexus 5X using chrome browser. The process is kind of weird and buggy though so I'm not sure if it's intended to be that way or an exploit.
>>
>>53932374
DOA
>>
>>53935039
Per app permissions for everything. Had it for a couple of versions as well.
>>
Android is shit
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-08-21-24-15.png (276 KB, 480x854) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-08-21-24-15.png
276 KB, 480x854
>>53932191
>>53932374
>>
I only bought an iPhone for blue messages, not kidding.

Friends/coworkers/dates *ALL* have iPhones and getting excluded from group conversations isn't fun.

I like that the operating system is snappy and smooth, but I miss the features from my stock Android phone.
>>
>>53932290

This is actually false. You can save animated gifs, and you can view a webm if you download VLC.

It's garbage, but we needn't spread false information that isn't based in reality. Let's keep a fair and open mind.
>>
>>53932251
>m-muh 2011 lagdroid memes
>still no file explorer
>having to use itunes or other software to do something as basic as transfer files
>lacking a feature that is considered basic for even fucking windows CE
>no expandable storage
>inb4 b-but expandable storage isn't as fast as internal

You won't be thinking about speed when you run out of internal memory.

>>53935482
this
>>
So, is sideloading apps a thing yet?
I mean, you can basically sign every application you compile yourself, can't you?

Is there a list of useful open source software not in the app store somewhere?
>>
>>53932226
>Pay $600+ for what's essentially a fucking toy.
>>
>>53936989
yes, yes, google it.
>>
>>53932191
I said "good bye" to the iPhone after the 4.
>>
>>53932191
Because it still works better than the competition.
>>
>>53932226
Finding something in the settings isn't intuitive on ios.
>>
>>53935551
>AAA shooters
>good
You must be shitting me
>>
>>53934835
>>53936952

>not recognizing meego
c'mon step it up
>>
File: file.png (883 KB, 487x740) Image search: [Google]
file.png
883 KB, 487x740
>>53932191
>mfw coding on swift and suddenly I have to do obj-c shit
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.