[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on Rust Language? Been using it lately and it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: v7txhrjp9pdqrkdtxxp0_400x400.png (111 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
v7txhrjp9pdqrkdtxxp0_400x400.png
111 KB, 400x400
Thoughts on Rust Language? Been using it lately and it's quite intuitive.
>>
It's awesome, low level performance and control with the ease of use of a high-level language. Admittedly, it has quite a learning curve, due to stuff like the borrow checker and their channel approach to multi-threading.

I think it's the future of systems-programming though.

>inb4 Muh SJW shit
Yeah fuck off to your containment board.
>>
>>53806203
I know it might sound stupid, but cargo makes working with libraries and handling dependencies quite easy. And the multithreading works quite well.

All this and it runs at the speed of a normal native app.
>>
File: 1451622062536.jpg (88 KB, 491x797) Image search: [Google]
1451622062536.jpg
88 KB, 491x797
The language is great! I can honestly see this language caching on in five years if a newer language with the same feature set doesn't pops up.

Cargo, while a decent dependency/build tool, has some issues (especially regarding package authentication), and the unhealthy dependency of crates.io on github is cause for concern.

My primary gripe with the project is it's community. SJW infestations aside, the community's strong lack of professionalism is really off putting. It's not uncommon to see emoji spam in official project statements with "whoohooo"s here and there.

I've spent most of my development career writing and maintaining C code. The relevant C communities I interacted with, while not the most friendliest, were very professional; They would point out mistakes without sugarcoating them, and will rightfully shame those who give inaccurate advice. Rust's community in contrast is mediocre, and that's being generous.

Rust, great language, awful community/development team. I hope a gcc front end for rust pops up again.
>>
File: heads-in-the-sand.jpg (132 KB, 1000x504) Image search: [Google]
heads-in-the-sand.jpg
132 KB, 1000x504
>>53806203
>>inb4 Muh SJW shit
>Yeah fuck off to your containment board.
If the SJWs were contained to their drum circles and womyns studies communes, no one would mention it. But they've invaded Rust and have ruined the tiny community that was growing until they showed up. They're poison. The sooner you figure out that pretending they don't exist doesn't stop them from ruining everything, the sooner they can be pushed out. Rust will fail because people like you are letting SJWs destroy it.
>>
>>53806727
/thread
>>
>>53806126
All other crap apart, I'm not sure if it's worth it if you use on microcontrollers without threads and dynamic allocations.

I'd like to see other C/C++ replacement like Ada or Zig getting adopted by the microcontroller industry.
>>
>>53806126
>pros
ML constructs
Uniqueness types
Speed
>cons
No linear or dependent types
ML constructs are half-baked
The C-style syntax for babby ducks
The CoCk
Too young to be truly useful yet, in a couple years it might have a good library base though.
>>
>>53806727
>if a newer language with the same feature set doesn't pops up.
There are many older languages which have strict superset of rust's featureset. They never catch on not because they're bad but because they're not backed by a large corporation.
>>
>>53811430
This.

There are already too much languages for not enough developers, so only corporate shilled ones will flourish.

And that's why you can't say you don't have to program in it if you don't like it.
You have to completely shrek the lang team, so they can't shill away the programmers from your favorite language.

>>53811419
This, but
>No linear or dependent types
>muh overhyped invariant checkers
>>
It's meh. But I probably dislike it so much because of their stupid community. Millennial babbies who blow the unsafety of C/C++ and the safety of Rust completely out of proportion. They pretend every C/C++ contains a virus and act like one Rust compilation equals proven correctness. When it comes to FP, they pretend it's a race horse, when in fact it's a donkey.
The borrowing is nice for simple stuff but becomes a PITA for anything a bit more complicated. And I feel like once you force the users to fight the language, you're not exactly helping them to avoid bugs. And the build times are just depressing. I wrote a 5k LoC program that takes 5s to compile. Everytime. Even when I touch only a single line.
I have a project with several million lines of C++ sitting on my HD, and I can touch a hundred files and it will re-build faster than that stupid Rust program I wrote.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.