[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is a really stupid question - I hope /g/ doesn't hate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: radeon-r9-390-100591963-large.jpg (28 KB, 580x387) Image search: [Google]
radeon-r9-390-100591963-large.jpg
28 KB, 580x387
This is a really stupid question - I hope /g/ doesn't hate me for this.

How come when NVIDIA / AMD show off there new GPU or whatever they always have the "stock" case or cooler or whatever and then there's different company's like zotac and gigabyte and the cooler / case is different....

And what is a " reference "

And where can I buy one of those generic looking AMD cards...

(Pic related, it's the "stock" GPU or whatever)

This isn't bait. I'm just incredibly stupid :-(
>>
"Reference" coolers are the ones they always show off, "third-party" or "aftermarket" coolers are the ones that other brands put on.

For the current AMD lineup, I don't think you can buy any reference models except for the Fury X and the Nano.
>>
>>53650600
My guess would be they have to go in ballsdeep and release a card at the get go with an aftermarket comparable cooler which costs more $$$ or closed loop liquid cooling which is even more.
The reason for having this "reference" cooling with a single fan is because it is cheap (The biggest reason) and running only one fan which keeps the card cool enough at stock looks more promising to consumers.
Imagine if Nvidia released a reference cooler with two fans looking similar to single fan blower design with little improvement, every AMD shill would be yelling 3.5gb woodscrews cause housefire cuz nvidiots need two fans huehuehue along with comparing actual temps showing the additional fan adding little benefit to blower design.
>>
Thanks for the non-faggot reply!

What about the differ in specs on aftermarket coolers? Do company's just OC them?

Thanks in advance,
Curtis
>>
>>53650620
I think XFX will release a R9 390X with this reference blower cooler. This is what their site says at least.
>>
>>53650600
>I'm just incredibly stupid :-(
oh fuck off, m8 you're just lazy and want to be spoon fed instead of looking this stuff up yourself
>>
So the only difference between brands is the cooler? Are the PCBs and chipsets identical?
>>
>>53650759
You don't "overclock" a cooler. You overclock the processors. And yes, some third parties will overclock their cards because their better heat dissipation will allow for better speeds.
>>
>>53650759
>What about the differ in specs on aftermarket coolers?
MSI twin frozer, gigabytes windforce, and asus' offering are the best along with XFX for AMD cards.
>Do company's just OC them?
Yes, a major sellingpoint is that the cards come preoverclocked and run cooler, the componets on the cards are higher binned componets which will withstand the additional required speeds.
Additionally the higher binned parts are more sutable for additional overclocking making them targeted towards both the enthusiast and gaming crowd
>>
curtis pls go.
>>
>>53650831
Some companies use the reference PCB design, with reference components.
Others use the reference PCB layout with their own components.
And then there's the (usually higher-end) cards that use a custom PCB design and higher-quality components.
>>
>>53650864
>Asus
>best for AMD
do you even Sapphire
>>
"Reference" can refer to 2 different things. The first is the GPU+PCB+Cooler itself. The "reference card" is a card using Nivida's/AMD's designed GPU/PCB/Cooler. The reference card is the card built by Nvidia/AMD to show off their GPU without the help of 3rd parties. It's the base configuration of the card, although for consumers these cards are rare, with must of the stuff you find to buy having having an aftermarket cooler on it/

When the product comes to the store shelves, most of the time it is the GPU and reference PCB with an aftermarket cooler mounted on it rather than the Nvidia/AMD designed cooler. Sometimes these cards are also overclocked beyond Nvida/AMD specs out of the box.

Lastly there are completely non-reference cards, which are the GPU mounted on 3rd party PCB with a 3rd party cooler attached. 3rd parties typically only make their own PCB for more expensive versions of the highest end cards. These 3rd party PCBs are typically made with the intent to be be able to overclock them higher than Nvidia/AMD reference PCB.
>>
>>53650600
All you need to know it this
stock = garbage
reference = shit

NEVER BUY GPU WHICH IS ANY OF THESE THINGS

Unlike Android, you want companies fucking around with it and adding their shit. Improves performance and especially noise.
>>
>>53650620
>I don't think you can buy any reference models except for the Fury X and the Nano.

You can, but only at the beginning of a GPU's life cycle and randomly in OEM prebuilt machines afterwards.
>>
>>53651034
I know AMD does put out reference designs, but I've never seen a reference 390, for instance.
>>
>>53651071
>but I've never seen a reference 390, for instance.

the reference 390 is a 290
>>
>>53651152
IIRC there was at least one company reusing the reference cooler from the 290 on the 390.
>>
>>53650864
asus and msi are shit for amd, your in sapphire xfx territory now nvidifag
>>
>>53650835
Sorry for not being clear. Thanks what I meant
>>
>>53650864
Thank you for a great answer much appreciated anon
Curtis
>>
>>53650931
A great answer anon thankyou!
Curtis
>>
>>53651268
Kekd
>>
>>53651384
referrence cards are basically first production runs.... then the 3rd party gets them. its a good way for AMD and Nvidia to make as much $$ upfront as they can, with residual after that from royalties.
>>
>>53650937
>stock = garbage
>reference = shit
>NEVER BUY GPU WHICH IS ANY OF THESE THINGS

>this exaggeration

Don't be a drama queen. Both of these things are completely fine.

Price is what matters.
>>
>>53650792
Why don't you shut the fuck up and leave OP alone. Hes asking a honest question, stop doing a dick, thats why your girl left you asshole.
>>
>>53650937
reference cards are sexier

they also don't get as dusty
>>
>>53652939

>they also don't get as dusty

that's not true, reference cards clogging with dust isn't uncommon at all, especially AMD's full-cover blower coolers used since the 5000 series. i've seen several of them clog so bad that the fans stopped moving.
>>
>>53652959
I'm not saying blower cards can't get clogged with dust, but dual fan cards have basically no dust protection at all.
>>
>>53650907
Doesn't that essentially make it a whole different card then? Why would such card with different PCB an different components be sold under the same title?
>>
>>53653087
because it has the same gpu
>>
>>53653087
Because the GPU at its core is still the same.
>>
>>53650864
This is a troll, don't listen to him.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.