[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Programming tips/improvement
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Java.jpg (53 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Java.jpg
53 KB, 1024x768
Hello guys,
since July of this year I've started to program with Java, but I'm kinda stuck with it, because I think that I am too dumb for programming.

I've created webpages with HTML, CSS, JS & PHP before for my own "business", but if I try to read a more professional PDF to how to create a more complicated algorithm in Java, I mostly don't understand anything of it.

The best thing I've created with Java was a hangman game.

So guys, do you think that there is a border of intelligence for programming for me or sth? Or am I doing something wrong?
>>
You need time and determination. If you lack either of these, you won't make it.

You don't have to be a genius that knows the entire standard library by heart. Nearly every programmer looks things up online. That's what documentations are for.

I've seen so many colleagues who don't know much who still manage to keep their job.
>>
>>50827823
This is pretty much exactly what I came here to say. Solid advice.

When I look back at what and how I learned, the thing that strikes me most (and it's something I didn't really realize until recently) is just the sheer amount of time I put into programming. From the ages of 13 to about 22, it was my main hobby and I poured _at least_ 6 hours a day into it.

I'm not bragging, I'm just trying to give you an idea of the amount of time and determination you might have to put into this. I don't believe there is some "border of intelligence"; I'm literally a moron and I consider myself a decent programmer, but only because I poured my heart and soul into it at the expense of having a social life, etc.

These days I don't do it anywhere near as often, but I don't regret learning it. If you're really interested in programming, you won't either.
>>
>>50827898
How do you pour so much time into it?

What did you do more precisely?
>>
>>50827804
>The best thing I've created with Java was a hangman game.

Probably a sign that you should hang yourself
>>
>>50827941
By being passionate about it, I suppose. There's something about programming (specifically systems / low-level programming) that I just find satisfying and intriguing on a base level. It's hard to explain.

More precisely I started with BASIC, on one of those PS2 discs that came with the consoles had some NetYaroze demo type environment on it with a basic editor. From there, VB6. Then C/C++. (Sort of simultaneously, which wasn't clever. Moron, remember?) Then I just soaked up every language I could get my eyes on.

I think it's important to write small programs / projects all the time. I don't really know what to suggest starting with, because I can't really remember what I started with and I certainly didn't keep any of it. I just remember always having something on the go, although I rarely finished anything. Either try and find an excuse to write a program to do something you want to do, or just write something that already exists. Yes, reinventing the wheel is bad, but not when you're learning.

Sorry I'm rambling like fuck now. I'm just trying to help.
>>
>>50828035
This was me, by the way, I just forgot my tripcode.
>>
>>50827823
>>50827898
Thanks for the answers guys, but to come to gstnk's question: No, I don't have a destiny in programming, just becoming "good" in a kind of level like understanding difficult algorithms and know how to attend bigger projects.
>>
>>50828033
Thank you I appreciate your answer.
>>
Think of each object as a box. Only store what you need!

Don't throw everything into one object.

Keep everything simple.

If you are still having problems, look into Lombok
>>
>>50827898
>>50828035
You sound like a cool guy. I'm doing pretty much the same myself now, though I wish I started earlier.
>>
>>50828105
Thank you. I wish you luck!
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.