[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How are you?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: 2013-12-31_0823.png (194 KB, 781x448) Image search: [Google]
2013-12-31_0823.png
194 KB, 781x448
Hello /g/ents
I see lots of threads here, but none of them ask an all important question:
How are you?

You working on anything interesting?
Any problems at your job (if you have one)?
Any concerns you'd like to voice?
How do you feel about the future of tech?
>>
>You working on anything interesting?
modeling a 6P case with the final goal of making a controller case
>Any problems at your job (if you have one)?
bosses are super jews and avoid paying money at every possible turn. 12hr shifts suck
>Any concerns you'd like to voice?
all the general threads could use a purge. It's always the same stuff posted every thread.
>How do you feel about the future of tech?
VR is lame, AR's where it's at
>>
I want to be dead as soon as possible.
No I am not.
I am the problem at my job
Nah
It will all either go down to shit and there will be no more consumer electronics, or it will flourish with Apple's vision of locking everything down, unifying everything and standartizing everything
>>
>>53412664
contemplating suicide because I have a maximum of 4 months before I end up a NEET or a wageslave in a warehouse, which is even worse than death itself
don't have one
the fact that I spent so much time in school, looking forward to learning new things, only to discover that I am absolutely incapable of learning something on my own and unable to write any kind of code that will be useful because I either skipped all the useful theory or don't know how half of the modern features work
well usually I'd say the curryniggers are trying to steal my job, but don't think I'll have to worry about that one
>>
>>53412694
>Modeling a 6P case with the final goal of making a controller case
Neat. I do some 3D modeling (but not for making physibles).
>bosses are super jews and avoid paying money at every possible turn. 12hr shifts suck
Sucks to hear you're unhappy at your work. I won't give you stupid advice like "talk to your bosses" because that shit hardly ever works (you clearly aren't working for SJWs). An economics professor once told me to "keep applying for jobs, even if you already have one". Mind if I ask what specifically you do? A 12 hour shift sounds like retail.
>all the general threads could use a purge. It's always the same stuff posted every thread.
Mhmmm, it can be annoying to see the same thing over and over again.
Some people just like things that are familiar; it's why you'll see some people playing the same video games or going to the same bars for years.
>VR is lame, AR's where it's at
I haven't been paying too much mind to either of those myself. It seems like it's been a pretty long time since the concept became realistic and the hype just doesn't seem to die out.

Anyways keep at it anon. I hope things get better for you.
>>
>>53412705
>I want to be dead as soon as possible.
Death is so permanent. There's plenty of stuff to do to make you happy.
What do you genuinely enjoy doing (besides being on 4chan)? Any hobbies? I've found that my most enjoyable hobbies have been ones where I try to create something - be it with wood, metal, or code.
>No I am not
Well, try to change that.
>I am the problem at my job
To who? Your boss? Your fellow employees? Your customers?
If you just don't like being around people, maybe you should try finding a job where you'll be around animals or something.
>Nah
Okay.
>It will all either go down to shit and there will be no more consumer electronics, or it will flourish with Apple's vision of locking everything down, unifying everything and standartizing everything
I think there will always be a large group of people that want to customize their hardware and software. The existence of Windows didn't thwart the existence of Linux. Though, if you like Apple products, that's completely alright. We've all got our preferences.
>>
>>53412744
1/2
>contemplating suicide because I have a maximum of 4 months before I end up a NEET or a wageslave in a warehouse, which is even worse than death itself.
Don't do it anon. If you look at history you'll see that some of the most amazing people rose to amazing heights in short spans of time. It has a lot to do with self-confidence.
Don't be too discouraged by the requirements on job descriptions. Companies tend to list the ideal candidate requirements; they might hire you anyways. Also if you apply and an entry level position opens up later, they may contact you.
>don't have one
Keep trying to find one, anon. There is a job out there for you; it may be difficult to find but it's there. If you see a company near you that does stuff you'd be interested in, try asking for a job or internship.
>the fact that I spent so much time in school, looking forward to learning new things, only to discover that I am absolutely incapable of learning something on my own and unable to write any kind of code that will be useful because I either skipped all the useful theory or don't know how half of the modern features work.
Believe it or not I was in this position at one point, and so are a lot of people. Some people learn in different ways; my biggest problem is that I had to see something done correctly in order to do it myself.
I also found out that trying to teach someone something, even if you don't fully understand it yourself, is one of the most powerful techniques for remembering things. If you don't have someone to teach, write notes on the subject as if you DO have someone who will read them.
I've condensed entire textbooks just so I could learn things, and no one except for me has ever read them.
>>
>>53412744
>>53413078
Whoops I means 1/3
Anyways here's 2/3
But remember that writing code is much more than regurgitation. You may not see it, but a lot of programmers actually start a project with little idea of how they're going to accomplish a task. Some have to write diagrams, and some have to just sit there until they figure out how to start. You need to give yourself a little more self-confidence: there are really no genius programmers and YOU can do it if you keep at it. Practice makes perfect; you have to practice writing code every day.
I found out that I preferred to start projects by organizing a folder structure, creating the files for classes (without any content), then writing in what a class is supposed to do in the documentation of that class. This enables me to outline what I'm going to write and where I'm going to write it. Then I write empty functions and write documentation for those functions, before finally figuring out what exactly I'm going to put in those functions.
Sometimes you just have to give yourself a break and try to figure out what way works for you. Maybe you need to record yourself talking about a project. Speak into a dictaphone or microphone as if you were trying to describe the project to another programmer. Maybe you just want to type up a bunch of text?
School was tough for me too, because a lot of it was not about writing code. I realized that focusing on a bunch of different subjects at once was NOT the way I learn best. I'm more of a master-one-skill-at-a-time kind of person; maybe you are too?
Start out by figuring out what resource you enjoy using best (be it textbook, ebook, video tutorials, code documentation, teaching others, etc). If textbooks are your thing and you can get through one, you'll be starting to get ahead of the norm.
>>
>>53412744
>>53413126
3/3
>well usually I'd say the curryniggers are trying to steal my job, but don't think I'll have to worry about that one
It's true that a lot of companies outsource, but I have a question to ask you: do you really think you'd be better off at a company that treats you and your work as insignificant? Chances are that the higher ups would have really been shit to you. You mentioned in your first statement that you don't want to be a wageslave in a warehouse. Well you shouldn't want to be a wageslave in a computer chair either.
There are companies out there that really do care about the quality of your work. Keep trying to find one of them.
>>
>>53412880
I am not going to bother even responding to this post and that is my only problem. If only i could pay someone my rent money to kill me instead of giving it to the landlord today..
>>
>>53412664
Third year compsci undergrad reporting in. Doing great. Interview season was about to leave me feeling like shit but then I landed a $40+/hr gig in a great city for the summer. Really turned my mood around, so I've gone from smoking pot all day to cure my sadness to smoking pot all day to accentuate my happiness :DD

Aside from that, my advanced AI class is kinda leaving me feeling unsteady. I thoroughly enjoyed the basic AI course but this one is full of grad students, and at times it feels like the professor barely cares about the class. He bends over backwards trying to get everyone A's and making their lives easy (homework extensions, generous curve, etc.) but he also lets the class out super early, and at times I feel like I'm not learning the material super well. Is this how all grad level classes are?
>>
>>53412664
>mum wants an app that counts steps
>on wp so there's dogshit on the store
>grab a testproject from nokia back in the days and modify it to suit her needs
>wp won't let me sideload apps
fucking hell, do I need to publish that shit? First time I try to do something and then this happens. No wonder nobody wants to code for that shitty platform.
>>
>>53413823
Oh, I'm upset. Obviously.
fucking microsoft
>>
File: benis.jpg (41 KB, 722x349) Image search: [Google]
benis.jpg
41 KB, 722x349
>>53412664
>How are you?
void
no
I am uni student
nope
pic related
>>
File: 1448070592532.png (323 KB, 789x711) Image search: [Google]
1448070592532.png
323 KB, 789x711
>>53413078
thanks, I'm not as suicidal as I sound, but still very disappointed in my own knowledge and determination to learn on my own.
not looking for job atm since I'm a student
>>
>>53412664
I'm working towards a bachelor's in my university's own computer program. I'm not sure how my grades are going to turn out so I'm hoping just having a STEM degree will be enough for a job, regardless of my GPA.
>>
Got job as "it help guy" for research team.
I was expected to know sql, and linux which I do know.
There is only one other it guy who has been there for 10 years and he seems bit autistic. The old sysadmin left half year ago and the other guy who doesn't know linux has been managing the system since then.
So now I'm the new sysadmin. I was told by the other it guy that the old sysadmin had C programs that would update the system, I assume that the old guy just compiled the system software from source every time they needed updates.
Now I have been using gentoo for few years and I know linux but this might be bit too much. Should I just kill myself now or after they fire me because I'm too incompetent?
>>
File: 1410750691185.jpg (35 KB, 427x534) Image search: [Google]
1410750691185.jpg
35 KB, 427x534
>>53412664
I fucking hate these middle aged white guy comics
>>
File: 12707.jpg (20 KB, 423x404) Image search: [Google]
12707.jpg
20 KB, 423x404
>>53414880
Thanks a lot for your opinion.

I suspect you blurt out lots of them unsolicited.

You must be a real joy to spend time with.
>>
People at work treat me like shit because I'm trans. Not sure if I should try taking legal action or spare myself the trouble/embarrassment and just quit. The place I work sucks anyway, it's a small but old web dev company with some seriously outdated and just plain bad codebases.
>>
>>53414937
Thanks for your passive aggressive comment :^)
>>
>>53414953
Ah, but there you go again opening your mouth when nobody asked you to.

You should really work on that, tsk tsk.
>>
>>53414971
I didn't ask for your permission :^)
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.