[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lead-free solder
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8
File: soldering.jpg (69 KB, 1023x365) Image search: [Google]
soldering.jpg
69 KB, 1023x365
Is it really responsible for the high failure rate in modern electronics or is that just a meme?
>>
>>53375862
>Lead-free solder has a higher Young's modulus than lead-based solder, making it more brittle when deformed. When the PCB on which the electronic components are mounted is subject to bending stress due to warping, the solder joint deteriorates and fractures can appear. This effect is called solder cracking.[16] Another fault is Kirkendall voids which are microscopic cavities in solder. When two different types of metal that are in contact are heated, dispersion occurs (see also Kirkendall effect). Repeated thermal cycling cause the formation of voids which tends to cause solder cracks. Lead-free solder can cause short life cycles of products, as well as planned obsolescence.[16]
>>
>>53375862
How was the woman in the third image allowed to abscond from the washing up sink.
>>
>>53375862
3 burned hands, in this pic.
>>
>>53375963
True. Reminds me of the time when our prof handed a soldering iron to a girl in our class for practice. She wasn't paying attention and grabbed it wrong. Good times.
>>
>>53375862
For a few years after they were forced to switch to lead free, the failure rate went up. Nowadays, they figured out what went wrong, and the problem is no more. The end.
>>
Those disassembled hard drives set off to the side for no particular reason.
>>
>>53375862
one time i got drunk and grabbed soldering iron like on op pic, it was just split second but i still have small marks

i wonder why stockphoto guys love open hard drives so much
>>
>>53377007
>for no particular reason.
To make them look smarter and more tech savvy.
>>
>>53377988
You can't look smart when you don't know how to grab a fucking soldering iron.
>>
>>53378275
majority of population does not know how to grab a fucking soldering iron, and holding it like pen probably looks smart for them.
>>
>>53378329
>majority of the population doesn't have common sense

Where the hell do you live?
>>
>>53378515
America
>>
>>53378564
Makes sense.
>>
>>53375862
Hardly a meme.

Suppliers of electronic components and devices for the military avoid rohs compliance like fire.

That's why so many countries (including individual EU countries) signed up the "open ended" version of RoHS directive with exemption for military, aerospace and medical equipment.

So they were perfectly fucking aware that RoHS means less reliability.
Which is ironic since the premise of use of lead free solder was "less environmental impact".
So instead of electronic waste with lead we got more electronic waste.

The main advantage of leaded solder is that it's softer and doesn't brake under stress.
Also "tin whiskers" are sometimes brought.

I fucking hate the EU for that.
All beaurocratic fucks from all over the world deserve nothing but a noose.
>>
Anyone know of some good resources to learn about fixing electronics as well as soldering?
>>
>>53379106
louis rossmann
>>
>>53379106
If you don't have someone to teach you personally youtube is probably your best bet. Look for tutorials.

As in fixing modern consumer electronics like computers, smartphone boards just forget about it.
A good soldering station is a must.
But then you have parts which usually aren't the cheap "jellybean" ones you get easily (this is done on purpose of course, planned obsolescence). Tiny spaces and complex schematics are a problem too. Not to mention troubleshooting is a bitch.

Soldering ain't hard. The most important thing is knowing what actually happens with the soldering compound.
The rest is just applying that knowledge to real life.

Expensive soldering station for starters will be a waste of time that will never pay of, look for recommendations online, some chinese knockoffs are decent as well.

Don't cheap out on flux, solder and wicks. They're important.

Look up Louis Rossman. He's weird and always angry at something, but he makes videos teaching people how to make money on fixing consumer tech.
>>
File: 4L_4bZt0Sng.jpg (609 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
4L_4bZt0Sng.jpg
609 KB, 1600x1067
>>53375862
>2016
>women soldering anything
>>
They must have done this on purpose, like its common sense that the metal part gets hot.
>>
File: output.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
output.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>53375862
i just did this

should i start earning money on shutterstock?
>>
>>53380592
Looks like you have too good a grasp on what soldering is and why it's done.
>>
Remember the whole Xbox 360 red ring of death?

That was because lead free solder.
>>
>>53380751
Actually, many devices from x360 "age" had same issues. PS3's had YLOD for same reason.

Not fanboy defense or anything, i just wanted to point out that it wasn't microsoft fault, entire market wasn't prepared for this kind of eco bullshit.
>>
>>53380592
>tfw i actually expected something

beautifully shot, white balance seems off but i think thats my monitor

:06 looked good, neat angle
:16 looks like shit, horrid angle, let me get a top down hipster view of the shit your fucking up

i wonder how hard it actually is to earn money on shuttershock
this was a cute video
>>
>>53380809
>Not fanboy defense or anything, i just wanted to point out that it wasn't microsoft fault, entire market wasn't prepared for this kind of eco bullshit.
no it really was microsofts fault
they fucked up the cooling system for the machine as a whole
those astronomical failure rates speak for themselves
>>
>>53380872
>white balance
it may be my fuckup, except cutting i wasn't processing this video at all
>top down
this is actually great idea, thanks. Maybe i'll shoot top-down one, make gpu soldering part shorter and actually upload it on some shutterstock for sake of people who search stupid shit there

And maybe i'll even process it, although i have no idea how to do it yet. It was my first attempt of making a video, like, ever,
>>
>>53380809
Nope. There's dozens of reports that microsoft was cutting as many corners as possible to get it out quickly, lead free on everything being one of them.

>>53380898
It wasn't just the cooling system, it was that the GPU heat was drying out the solder, making it more brittle and prone to fracturing. The whole wrapping it in a towel thing? That was literally to turn your Xbox into a little reflow station, and have it get the heat high enough to melt its own solder back into place.
>>
>>53379209
>>53379232
Thanks guys.
>>
File: soldered my own cpu.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
soldered my own cpu.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
>>53380592
I love these webbums
>>
>>53380592
You're not holding the soldering iron correctly. You should hold it more like the people in OP's pic.
>>
File: superman_heat_vision_by_strib.jpg (344 KB, 1440x1152) Image search: [Google]
superman_heat_vision_by_strib.jpg
344 KB, 1440x1152
Guys, you're being silly. This is how it works.
>>
>>53375862
The problem with lead-free solder is higher temperature needed for a proper connection - it's harder to do properly (and repair), requires different ways of handling material. Lead-free solder itself is not anyhow worse by nature.
>>
>>53378700
Most of those same nations have recycling programs for electronics though. The only excuse anyone has for not hauling something off for proper disposal is being a lazy nigger.

Shit in Canada the recycling fee is built into the price of major electronic hardware and appliances (computers, TV's, disc players, etc.). And before anyone spergs out, the 'tax' is a flat fee on the whole unit (so not computer PARTS), and the highest are things like $25 for a computer, and maybe $40 for a big screen TV. A pittance considering the amount you're likely to be shelling out for the unit.

Commercial retail also creates a tremendous amount of garbage (electronic and otherwise) through the course of normal business, going by my first 10 years of work out of highschool.
>>
>>53379531
You use solder to piece stained glass together, my mom used to make a lot of stuff out of it. Still has her equipment and plenty of pieces of glass left too, and is going to set her crafts room back up after she moves.
>>
>>53378700
>>53384669
>tfw they now limit energy consumption on vacuum cleaners in the EU

Henry went from 1200 to 600 watts. They probably did make the design a bit more efficient, so it's not half as powerful, but still, a vacuum isn't really something you use for hours, or forget to turn off.
>>
>>53379232
>As in fixing modern consumer electronics like computers, smartphone boards just forget about it.

I fixed two $30 computer mice with $5 of parts using my soldering iron (the mouse wheel fucked up, ordered replacement parts from aliexpress, and replaced them on the board).

Literally doubled the life expectancy of both of them, so that's $55 saved.
>>
>>53380592
+1 for the very nice camera angles
-1 for the lack of solder grease. You can't solder worth fuck all without that, as anyone can see on your video. If you put some solder grease on the gpu first, the solder would've stuck at it like herpes to a Thailand hooker.
>>
>>53381043
>The whole wrapping it in a towel thing? That was literally to turn your Xbox into a little reflow station, and have it get the heat high enough to melt its own solder back into place.

hahaha holy shit really?

I never understood how the cpu heat could fuck up the solder - doesn't that have a melting point of 2-300 Celsius? If the Xbox cpu heated up that much, it would've blew itself regardless.
>>
>>53385142
Reflowing doesn't require temps that high does it?
>>
>>53375963
Or rather no burned hands
>but they are holding the hot par

You're assuming they're plugged in, they aren't.
>>
>>53385203
Reflowing heats up all the board so the joints melt, so to do it you need to pass the melting point of the solder.
>>
>>53385222
What the fuck are you a bigot? Are you implying that these images are somehow staged? Fucking shitlord!
>>
>>53385030
>Tfw the vacuum cleaner black market will be upon us in a year or two.
>ey mane, wanna buy a dyson? I got dem Henrys too. Sucks better than yo momma!

The 'light bulbs that actually fucking work' syndicate are proving to be a bit of a disappointment.
>>
>>53385258
Or course I'm implying it's staged, it's stock photography.

Humans don't really solder much in the grand scheme of things anyway, it's all machines.
>>
>>53375862

YOU WILL NEVER STOP ME FROM INHALING LEADED SOLDER FUMES

FUCK YOU, ROHS
>>
>>53385030
>Tfw the decade of non-shit vacuum cleaners is coming to an end ;_;

>>53385293
You already have to import german vacuum cleaners into the U.S. if you want to get any serious sucking done.
>>
I actually like the smell of melting solder.

Is there some kind of nontoxic incense with the same smell?
>>
>>53385345

maybe you can buy rosin

i hear it's like tree sap
>>
>>53379531
r9k, pls. Sweeping generalizations make you look retarded.
>>
>>53385345
>tfw me too
>>
>>53385105
I know and obviously i do have a rosin, it just had to look as retarded as possible. I originally intended to melt shitload of solder and splash a cooler on top of it.

Now when i'm praised for camera work in multiple posts, i feel like i should fool around a little more around it. So, thanks for encouragement.
>>
>>53385876
>I originally intended to melt shitload of solder and splash a cooler on top of it.

Which is actually not that stupid, provided you can heat it up so the cpu/gpu ends up directly soldered to the heatsink. It gives you significantly better thermal conductivity than any thermal grease.

I don't know how you'd pull it off with just a soldering iron, though. I'd use a heat gun and a heat spreader (for the fucked up intel K cpus), but I have no idea if that would work and I'm not about to try it on my 3570k.
>>
File: 1457113103153.jpg (121 KB, 2032x820) Image search: [Google]
1457113103153.jpg
121 KB, 2032x820
>>53385303
>>
File: 1456426580593.gif (25 KB, 511x510) Image search: [Google]
1456426580593.gif
25 KB, 511x510
>>53380592
>soldering CPUs
>>
File: solder.webm (1 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
solder.webm
1 MB, 640x480
Obligatory repost
>>
>>53386130
>reflowing
>>
>>53379106
I've been watching big Clive a lot lately. He's pretty good a explaining how the simple stuff he pulls apart works. He also has a very pleasing accent.
>>
>>53380592
Top fucking kek
>>
>>53386476
How is that reflowing?
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.