[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: /g/ designs his dream laptop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: new-chromebook-pixel-2267.0.jpg (175 KB, 2040x1360) Image search: [Google]
new-chromebook-pixel-2267.0.jpg
175 KB, 2040x1360
/g/entoomen
If you could have the money and the resources to design your perfect laptop, how that laptop will be?
Mine:
>3:2 OLED or IPS at 4095x2730 15.4"
>Magnesium Alloy body
>a traditional 7-Row keyboard, but with the switches of the Lenovo Y900, spill proof of course
>A design so modular that you only need to undo six screws to get to the motherboard out of the shell, without the need to take apart the keyboard
Literally, I want a sort of Chromebook Pixel with Thinkpad fusion.
What do you want /g/?
>>
File: 1414913074555.jpg (56 KB, 498x482) Image search: [Google]
1414913074555.jpg
56 KB, 498x482
>>55643220
>Chrome OS
Please hang yourself
>>
>>55643231
>Chromebooks can only run ChromeOS
>>
>>55643231
:^)
>>
That'd be a "yoga"-style netbook\tablet running Unity (the desktop environment). Oh, and a high DPI screen. Too bad I can't afford anything like that anytime soon.
>>
Mine:
>BIOS by default instead of UEFI.
>1080p 15" IPS display.
>Keyboard with proper arrow keys.
>Good open source drivers available for all components.
>Easy to change components.
>>
>>55643409
>BIOS by default
Why?
>>
File: 01-LaptopSolo.jpg (57 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
01-LaptopSolo.jpg
57 KB, 800x600
Just give me this with modern internals, including Thunderbolt 3, and an IPS screen.
>>
>>55643220

>12-13" widescreen
>AMOLED 1080p screen.
>Magnesium alloy body
>HHKB keyboard layout
>Use extra space for front facing speakers
>Fingerprint scanner
>Thinkpad track point
>Mac touchpad with dedicated buttons
>9 cell battery using Panasonic 3400mah cells
>Two piece design - take off shell, take out mobo
>100% Linux compatibility
>A dock that accepts PCI-E GPUs
>>
>>55643220
15"
full keyboard
1440 or 2160p OLED screen
SSD
at least 4 usb3 ports, 1-2 usb C
HDMI-out
ethernet
bd-rw
12 amp-hour or greater battery
good touchpad

Can you tell I just travel with my laptop, instead of taking it from place to place?
>>
display:
>4:3
>multisided with one being e-ink the other being AMOLED
>13.5"
>350+ PPI
>detachable
keyboard:
>silent
>tactile
>minimal key travel
>has clitmouse
ports:
6x USB type c, with the stipulation that everything is compatible with it
firmware:
coreboot or similar
hardware:
>without backdoors
>fast
misc features:
>modular
>inductive charging
>2x on-the-fly-replaceable batteries
>water resistant
>has a stylus for writing
>cellular modem
>can get fast internet from satellites
>performant
>aesthetic
>highly usable
>scriptable
>>
>>55643220
>Water cooling with radiator docking station that up clocks the CPU
>External GPU
>Positive internal pressure airflow with easy to remove and clean dust filters at the intakes
>Thick design with easy to replace parts/fans and clean
>Battery compartment away from the CPU/GPU
>Battery that can be set to 80% charge
>Multiple battery compartments so you can scale up the life if needed or reduce it to save weight
>Fit more than 2 sticks of RAM
>Multiple HDD slots
>Vertical screen rotation
>10/40 Gbps Ethernet port
>>
>Screen:
Probably like a 14 inch 3:2 IPS screen with whatever resolution looks right with exactly 2:1 scaling. Maybe with touch, why not.

>Specs:
Quad core i7, 16GB of RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, decent mobile graphics card, maybe a GTX 1060M or GTX 1070M

>Keyboard
Basically a Macbook Pro keyboard but with a Windows layout (tux key though for super) and F keys bound to F by default, have to hold fn for second function.

>Trackpad
Again, basically a Macbook Pro trackpad.

>Ports
At least 2 USB Type A ports, drop down Ethernet, couple USB Type C ports, HDMI, SD card slot, combined mic/headphone port

>Speakers:
Stereo, high quality, big strip on either side of the keyboard.

>Extra Features:
Hardware buttons or switches to enable/disable webcam and mic, finger print scanner (good one, like modern phones), ability for the screen hinge to go completely flat, built in WiFi would also have the ability to act as a hotspot, swappable batteries with a small internal battery so you could swap without shutting down.

>Design
It would be completely flat on the top and bottom, one row of rubber foot going across the top and bottom edge on the bottom of the laptop, completely flat sides with slightly rounded corners. All black with an Apple-esque glowing logo in the bottom right of the lid (when looking at it from the outside) that was the terminal logo: >_ or $_

That's about it.
>>
>>55643837
Oh, forgot to add that it should be able to have a dedicated SIM card for 4G connectivity.
>>
Pixel LS user here. The machine is pretty ideal, though I could use some extra graphics power and potentially a SIM tray. But I can't really complain. Almost zero flaws here.
>>
I was going to start describing mine, then realized I was just describing a MacBook Pro. So one of those.
>>
>take Macbook 12"
>make it Macbook 12,5" ... or simply make the current bezels thinner
>lower screen resolution to 1920x1200
>in turn lower the size of the battery and make it thinner
>add 1TB NVMe SSD
>wait for Koby Lake version of Core M, put it in
Done.
>>
Pretty much a space grey Macbook. With a few extra things like a high end gpu, better battery, and running arch.
>>
File: X62.jpg (1 MB, 1839x1143) Image search: [Google]
X62.jpg
1 MB, 1839x1143
>>55643525
here ya go.
>>
>>55644200
Literally a half laptop.
>>
>>55644242
?
>>
General things
>under an inch thick
>3-4 lbs
>Thinkpad durability and internal rollcage
>Magsafe-like power cord
>Lots of I/O
>Easily modular
>BIOS as default
>Hotswappable battery
>Airflow from rMBP
>Multiple mSATA slots

Screen
>12.1" 1440p 16:10 screen
>X200t hinge
>2048 levels of pressure sensitivity with stylus
>Accelerometer

Keyboard and touchpad
>X200 keyboard
>Trackpoint
>touchpad that can be turned off with a hardware switch on the side of the laptop

Internals
>Easily modular
>All-day battery
>dGPU with external GPU support

Linux quibbles
>Coreboot/Libreboot compatible
>100% hardware linux compatibility
>>
>>55644299
I dont have any faith on the X62, bro. Their last project, a T60/T61 with a first gen core i5 couldn't basic laptop things like control backlight and suspend.
>>
>>55643220
obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZqRW6i86lc
>>
>>55644395
>I dont have any faith on the X62, bro. Their last project, a T60/T61 with a first gen core i5 couldn't basic laptop things like control backlight and suspend.
Both work fine on mine.
>>
>>55643837
This actually sounds fucking awesome.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.