[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /g/ think about Github?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: github-logo.jpg (37 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
github-logo.jpg
37 KB, 600x400
What does /g/ think about Github?
>>
Logo is nice
>>
>>55636961
Censor happy proprietary garbage that I don't recommend or use.
>>
Their service is really convenient, but I hate the userbase.

Just ignore all the social features.
>>
>>55636961
Makes hipster coders want to have their projects open-source.

Thumbs-up from me.
>>
>>55636961
Good enough for dumping and sharing code.
>>
>>55636961
It's a good way to find passwords and general vulnerabilities in others people code, so it's good.
>>
>>55637074
This, the number of people who leave in private authentication keys in their code is ridiculous.
>>
sjws and hipsters, most of it worthless
avoid projects with high star count/high empty fork count
>>
File: sjwhub.png (63 KB, 800x665) Image search: [Google]
sjwhub.png
63 KB, 800x665
>>55636997
>>
Seems like a good thread for my question

I plan to install SVN in an office of ~10 pcs. It's a gaming startup company working in [spoiler]Unity[/spoiler]. Do you have any suggestion how to do this in the most efficient way possible?
>>
>>55636961
everyone who uses this for anything else besides a portfolio for jobs is a waste of space
>>
>>55637188
Why use Subversion? It's hell on earth.
>>
>>55637220
Those people asked for it because couple of them worked in it before

Why do you say it's bad? I tried it at home on Win machine with Tortoise, looks easy as fuck
>>
>>55637188
Step one hire someone who knows what they're doing. Step two pay them to do it. If you don't have someone who knows how or can learn to set up SCM without asking 4chan on your payroll and you're doing a job that involves source code, then your company isn't going to last long.
>>
>>55637254
There's absolutely zero reason to use SVN in 2016.
Git does everything SVN does but better.
>>
>>55637188
>SVN

How horrifying.
>>
>>55636961
>What does /g/ think about SJWhub?
FTFY
>>
>>55637254
It's centralized, branches are a pain to deal with, as the size of the project increases it becomes increasingly painful to work with.

Everyone pushes shit in the same repository and you'll have to coordinate unless you want to fuck everything up.

It also makes reviewing new features harder because of how it works, it's more hassle than helpful.
>>
>>55637160
why do you have to ruin everything
>>
>>55637299
i actually like the centralization, because of security
>>
>>55637362
Security of what?
>>
>>55637362
Enjoy your data loss.
>>
>>55637266
This.

Go kill yourself other anon
>>
>>55637160
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>55637299
>Centralized
This is a better solution vs "distributed", which isn't even how the masses use github.

Also, just branch and merge faggot.

I bet you use sublime text too.
>>
>>55637453
Having a single upstream and someone who deals with merging branches is still better than how SVN does it.

The workflow is similar but way easier to deal with when the number of people working on the project is greater than one.

Also I don't use sublimeshit.
>>
I never understood the logo.
>>
>>55637637
it's a lolsorandumb octocat
>>
>>55637637
Don't try into hipster references. They """need""" to have some obscure meaning behind every single of their choices
>have you heard my tattoos backstory?

I use github for my meme projects in case some recruiter / head hunter googles my full name.

It also provides a fee crippled website hosting which is nice for manipulating my public image.

The SJW are cancer but I have yet to suffer from them and their meme "don't use "he" "tier complaints.
>>
File: wut.jpg (96 KB, 800x1100) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
96 KB, 800x1100
>>55636997
wtf is it? cat? squid?
>>
>>55636961
botnet
>>
>>55640777
4chan is a botnet
>>
I like the new font
>>
>They hired a purple haired SJW tranny as an "anti-harassment" advisor

>They added drag and drop uploading to appease webcucks who don't understand how git works

>They make you pay for private projects, when GitLab offers them free (AND you can host your own private GitLab on your own private servers)

you tell me
>>
>>55637039
What are you pushing that's being censored?
>>
File: superduper.gif (1 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
superduper.gif
1 MB, 400x400
>>55641628

they have drag and drop now? i dont have to fuck around trying to make that git shit work on windows? about fucking time
>>
>>55637362
Security? What security you are talking about?
>>
sjwhub safe space for coder grrrlz
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.