[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT technology you thought would flop but turned out being pretty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
>>
dragon dildos. who knew!
>>
>>55633792
I can't get used to the trackpad for aiming. It's hard to do intermediate movements. I either slide the thumb too much or too little. To get more control I uncounciously try to press on the trackpad harder so that I get a bigger friction on the thumb, and therefore more control, but I still can't do it, it's awakard as fuck.
>>
>>55633792
yeah, successful at being shit
>>
>>55633843
I gave trying to play any fps on it, but civ v and cities skyline work amazing
>>
>>55633863
But it's supposed to be much better than an analog stick. I see countless videos on youtube of people giving headshots in mercenaries mode in Revelations 2 or even playing CSGO with great accuracy but I just can't do it. I don't know how they do it
>>
>>55633890
Practice
Also not sucking balls
>>
>>55633890
touchpad for quick sweeping motions and gyro for precise aiming.
>>
>>55633957
can't get used to that. i have the controller sat on my lap
>>
>>55633843
>To get more control I uncounciously try to press on the trackpad harder so that I get a bigger friction on the thumb, and therefore more control, but I still can't do it, it's awakard as fuck.
Try setting a command shift so that pushing down on the trackpad reduces the sensitivity?
>>
>>55633843
The motion controls are great for aiming. I've found the trackpads are great for camera control, making it an ace controller for games like The Witcher and Dark Souls.
>>
>>55633890
They are either using a mode shift, gyro or both.
>>
it wasn't successful though, they haven't sold very many. steam controllers aren't as much as an embarrassing flop as steam machines but i wouldn't call them successful.
>>
>>55634001
Over half a million controllers is pretty good, especially when it's such a strange design.
>>
>>55634001
500k is pretty amazing for a somewhat experimental peripheral.
>>
>this pos controller

why

why do companies have to reinvent the wheel. enough waggle, touchpad memeing
>>
>>55634001
Valve is support the Steam controller with a steady stream of software and firmware updates.

Meanwhile, steam machines are sitting at like 15k sold or something terribly embarrassing like that. Valve was right to partner with other companies to make that garbage, but it sucks for those other companies to get stuck with a turkey.
>>
>>55634021
Analog sticks are dogshit.
>>
>>55634001
>>55634021
>why do companies have to reinvent the wheel.
They aren't "reinventing the wheel," you fucking idiot. Here's what I wrote in the last Steam Controller thread:
The Steam controller is great for people (nerds) who use their PC in their living room. It's obviously designed for Steam machines and/or Big Picture mode. It is clearly not meant to be a hugely popular Xbox controller replacement.

It works well as a controller that can adapt to many styles of gameplay. The trackpads are weird, but definitely more accurate than an analog stick once you get used to them.

If you don't play Steam games in your living room, or if you're already satisfied with your current control-method(s), then you don't need a Steam controller.
>>
>>55634063
The irony of this statement is that the steam controller has one of the best analog sticks ever created.
>>
i actually bought one but i didn't like it so i got an xbone controller instead. xbone controller is comfier, doesn't feel as cheaply made, and the traditional analog sticks are better for games that already have controller support (which is what controllers are for, i dont want to play an RTS came with a controller)
>>
File: first gen iphone.jpg (80 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
first gen iphone.jpg
80 KB, 800x600
$599
Expensive as fuck data plans $50
Cingular only
2MP camera
SMS ONLY NO MMS
Needs charged everyday
Glass screen
No GPS
No radio
No bluetooth transfers
Wouldn't even be considered smartphone today because no apps

Pros
Full HTML browser, the first full browser experience one could have on a pocket device
WiFI on a pocket device
Screen far ahead of anything else out there

and the pros really made it a very desirable product. Dat price tag though.
>>
>>55634062
Valve should have done steam machines themselves. Make a system with selectable components(i3, i5, or i7; 960 or 380; 970 or 390) and upgrade it every year. (go from a 4th gen i7 to 6th gen; go from gtx900 to gtx1000)

Either that or just make one single system. The way it's been done is interesting on paper bu terrible in practice. Consumers don't know what to buy and they often buy shit that costs 1000€. Yes, there's one steam machine with a fucking 750i that costs close to 1000€

Then there's the SteamOS which gets fuck all updates. It's been sitting in beta for god knows how long.
>>
>>55634148
Jesus, what did this phone even do? Reminds me of Android 1.0 I have literally no idea how it looked or what it was capable of doing. I think people don't think there was an android before 2
>>
>>55634168
It did the exact same things a dumb phone can do today plus full HTML browser and ipod.

Which is why I didn't think it would make it, not only were the specs shit, it cost a fortune, had less capacity than the standard ipod, was locked to ATT only and wasn't anymore useful than a razr because data plans.
>>
>>55633792
I actually love mine, I was really surprised.
>>
>>55634017
>>55634018
It's shit considering the fact we talk about Valve. They could start selling a freaking hat to a game that won't come out till 2020 and millions of fanboys would still buy it.
>>
Chromebooks. I'll never buy one though.
>>
>>55633843
You're using it wrong.

Trackpad should only be used for large movements, like turning 90 degree corners.

Gyroscope should be used for accurate aiming.

It's obviously never going to be as good as KB+Mouse, but i got to DMG in CSGO with Steam controller in ranked. I doubt i could even get Gold 1 with an Xbox controller.

>>55633976
That's like saying you have your mouse in your pants pocket, so it wont work.

If you aren't willing to use the controller properly, obviously it wont work well.
>>
>>55637295
I don't know, it depends on what they thought they'd get out of it. If 500k is as much as they thought, or more, than I'd say it's a success, even if they didn't set the world on fire. Still, a goal of 500k seems a bit low if you ask me, so it was probably a failure (at least a minor one, if not major) from Valve's perspective
>>
>>55634148
>Full HTML browser, the first full browser experience one could have on a pocket device
>WiFI on a pocket device
>Screen far ahead of anything else out there
windows mobile would like to have a word
>>
Windows 10.
Wireless Mice
Flat screen monitors.
>>
>>55633792
lol
>>
File: wolf.jpg (117 KB, 960x730) Image search: [Google]
wolf.jpg
117 KB, 960x730
>>55640710
Windows Mobile wasn't capable of showing a full webpage like what you'd get on first gen iphone. Their screens were usually pretty shit and you couldn't use them without a stylus, people seem to forget about that detail. There literally was nothing like the iphone at the time I worked at a phone store, when people came looking for a smartphone they would buy RIM Blackberry not CE devices people considered them "generic".

I didn't like the first iphone or the second or the third, I had a 4S and that was truly a beautiful phone and most people who had one loved it, it's hard to keep climbing when you're on top of the mountain, I think they're yet to top the 4S design, its like they developed anorexia and Androids became phablets, and here we are oldfags trying to figure out what to buy that isn't $400+ or 5" or bigger.
>>
>>55633792
I'm using one right now. Way comfier to have my arms down instead of stretched in front of me, especially since I was getting rsi symptoms. Hell, I don't even need a keyboard unless I'm typing out a paragraph. I love how customizable the thing is.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.