[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Telemetry - General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: 1459368052553.jpg (594 KB, 1836x2448) Image search: [Google]
1459368052553.jpg
594 KB, 1836x2448
Is Telemetry unethical?
>>
>>55630105
I don't want spyware on my computer.

sage for bait thread
>>
>>55630105
Not if you agreed to it.

In most cases telemetry just saves data about the program itself, how it performs, what it does, do any problems occur + anonymous info about the host.

It's vital to understand your target demographic if you'd like your things to succeed
>>
>>55630116
I would like to have a mature, open discussion about Windows 10 Telemetry. I just want to have a general discussion about that particular subject.

How do you propose I create a thread about this subject in a way that you wouldn't consider it bait?
>>
File: everything-I-say-is-right.jpg (31 KB, 555x644) Image search: [Google]
everything-I-say-is-right.jpg
31 KB, 555x644
>>55630105
>We know it's there
>They tell us it's there plainly in the EULA/T&C/PP
>We still use the service
If I make a product and you agreed to these terms, and then told me later on you "didn't like them pls change them they hurt my autism", I would furiously laugh at you.
>>
>>55630199
In all fairness, Microsoft has gone to great lengths to make certain that there isn't any other proprietary alternative operating system. Saying you have a choice to either agree to the EULA or not use the internet isn't really much of a choice these days.

That's like saying, if you get into a car you are agreeing that cops can search it without a warrant as long as a dog gets excited after walking around it. You don't HAVE to drive a car. You could spend 4 hours a day on a bus.
>>
>>55630105
Yes. Ordinarily I wouldn't care as I run linux on most things, but I have a surface for taking notes so it concerns me. I wish linux had better digitizer support and better ways to suspend sessions for ultraportables like instantgo on windows, then I wouldn't have to worry.
>>
In itself, no.
If I were to fly an UAV, I would like it to send telemetry back so I can see what is happening according to itself.
This way I could be able to prevent it from crashing next time.

But what you are fishing for is if I were to sell that UAV, and have the telemetry be sent back to me, the designer rather than the user, then yes, that is unethical.

The customers should decide from themselves if they want to share how and when they use the product.
The customers should be allowed to view these logs and fix the problem themselves. They own the product.
If I have a service where I fix it for them, fine, but that should not take away their rights to do whatever with it themselves.

If there is no technical need for telemetry (there rarely is) then it is unethical to add it.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.