[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't we have oled keyboard yet?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: 4645.jpg (38 KB, 403x387) Image search: [Google]
4645.jpg
38 KB, 403x387
Why don't we have oled keyboard yet?
>>
>>55629946
Because it turns out it is hella expensive to make.

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/maximus/
>>
>>55629946
>Esc
>console
what how why
>>
>>55630085
Because quake.
>>
>>55629946
That's interesting.

I'm a frenchie and I'm currently torn between keyboard layouts. Coding is easier in EN-US and it's the only layout available for mechanical keyboard, but writing in french is almost impossible without a french keyboard. A keyboard like that would fix all my problems.
>>
Sounds dumb tbqh
>>
>>55629946
We do since a few years.

Forgot about the name though and it was hella expensive.
>>
>>55630104

console on quake is the key below it (next to 1) though, `¬¦ on uk keyboards but commonly tilde on other keyboard layouts, which is fucking annoying when shitty devs think they're being hot shit by assigning the console to ~ as a keybind or as the ~ key which fucks up when trying to say stuff like # which is on the tilde key in uk layouts but I digress
>>
>>55631411
you can still switch keyboard layouts even if the marking on the physical keys do not change. fag.
>>
File: bullshot_vs_final_product.png (507 KB, 599x553) Image search: [Google]
bullshot_vs_final_product.png
507 KB, 599x553
>>55629946
This will be a meme... Someday
>>
>>55631411
My friend studies Russian and he was able to find keyboard stickers that put the Russian character right above the English characters. He can switch the keyboard layout without having to memorize the locations, could be worth looking in to.
>>
>>55631559

not french but part of the reason us/uk make great programming layouts is [{ ]} are on the same keys whereas the lowercase version of those keys on eu layouts tend to be accented keys or the like with [] moved somewhere else and various other keys can be in awkward positions to type as regularly as they come up in programming
>>
>>55629946
E-ink would have made a lot more sense, but it is still a mechanical nightmare and a huge cost problem.

What actual utility would it truly be, compared to pad printing, dyesub or double shot? How reliable and durable? What about drivers?

It never took off for a reason.
>>
I've seen several OLED keyboards where you can even make your own macro images/presets and such but the thing is they're all super fucking expensive.
Really neat though, I'd buy one if I had tons of money to burn.
>>
Because looking at your keyboard is for the primitive.
>>
File: g80caps.jpg (817 KB, 2000x1338) Image search: [Google]
g80caps.jpg
817 KB, 2000x1338
>>55629946

optimus keyboard is pretty much what you posted and its pretty damn old
>>
>>55629946
Screen burn.
>>
>>55629946
All of these wrong answers... it is because some 'Artist' is holding the patent hostage. And you can buy an oled keyboard... it just costs 1000$ on his site.
>>
>>55629946
Why don't we have mechanical monitors yet?
>>
>>55634323
When does the patent expire?
>>
>wanting anything other than double shot PBT
Check out these plebeyans.
>>
You're not supposed to look at it when you use it.

It's also unnecessarily expensive and complicated.
>>
>>55629946
>looking at your keyboard
>ever
>>
>>55631411
French here, I use the qwerty-fr layout that allows you to input accents with Alt-Gr and the letter you want to accent.

Sure it requires more keystrokes, but I spend most of my time writing in english, coding, and when I speak with friends, I don't use accents and no one gives me shit.
>>
Would be a perfect application for e-ink
>>
>>55636811
http://www.stopfakes.gov/faqs/how-long-does-patent-trademark-or-copyright-protection-last
>>
>>55636914
/thread
>>
>>55637183
Is this a utility or a design?
>>
>>55637501
Difficult to say but based on the criteria it sounds more like a design patent.

>Utility patents may be granted to anyone who invents or discovers any new and useful process, machine, article of manufacture, or composition of matter, or any new and useful improvement thereof;

>Design patents may be granted to anyone who invents a new, original, and ornamental design for an article of manufacture;
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.