[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did it become acceptable for software to shake you down
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: office3651.png (184 KB, 774x530) Image search: [Google]
office3651.png
184 KB, 774x530
When did it become acceptable for software to shake you down for subscriptions instead of delivering a standalone product?

Was it due to piracy?

Are people just that greedy and shortsighted?

What are the pros and cons for this strategy?
>>
File: zucker cucker.jpg (82 KB, 634x722) Image search: [Google]
zucker cucker.jpg
82 KB, 634x722
>>55628082
>Was it due to piracy?

Yes. Also the emergence of mobile tech and the need to monetize everyday use via data mining. Those three things are why clouds are the future.
>>
Never, no, yes, whatever
>>
I don't think it was really piracy.
It's just a subscription model seems cheaper to the average idiot than a permanent-licence model.

20$ a month seems a lot cheaper than a one-off 500$ licence, even though anything longer than two years makes it bad financial sense.

Telephone companies use this with phone hardware all the time.
>>
File: smug 5983409.jpg (56 KB, 485x459) Image search: [Google]
smug 5983409.jpg
56 KB, 485x459
>>55628082
>implying they haven't pirated "subscription" software already
>>
>>55628092
>>55628082
no this simply an evolution. It is the same reason why one cannot upgrade phones,and laptop with newer hardware.They can make more money this way.
>>
>>55628168
Is updating still a bitch?
>>
>>55628082
piracy is just an excuse. You really expect me to believe piracy was making Office make less money? No fucking way.

It's just greed.
>>
>>55628082
>Are people just that greedy and shortsighted?
Yes.
>>
It was due to reality

give you a copy of the data and the license -> the data's yours, and the law is nearly impossible to enforce. if you crack it and copy it, that's it.
streaming, DRM -> have fun getting a full copy kiddo hahaha libertarians technically can't argue against this because we're not using the government's help

>>55628154
Also this

Normies think it's better to make payments on a car with a 5% APR than save up and buy it outright, even if they can do the latter
>>
No it's because of greed.
The benefits are that you're holding your customer hostage.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.