[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Overclocking Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
So I just overclocked for the first time... and my fps went up approximately 2 fps on a benchmarking software. Is this normal? Also I overclocked my cpu, and it looks fine in the bios, but when I check any hardware monitoring inside the OS it still shows stock speed. It is an intel cpu. Is this correct? Although my cpu has performed better in all the benchmarking I have done, although marginally.

What are your overclocking success stories, /g/?
>>
>passive cooling on gpu
>fans blowing on ram
New meme?
>>
>>55621248
Not mine.

I found out my cpu in indeed overclocking.
>>
>>55621248
Are you misunderstanding the picture?
Someone is overclocking CPU and so is therefore overclocking RAM as well, pushing up temps of RAM (which do not have heat spreaders) and using an air cooler to stop crashing/BSOD or just keep cool

GPU is just a shit card to output the video
>>
File: Capture2.png (78 KB, 1090x766) Image search: [Google]
Capture2.png
78 KB, 1090x766
>>55621149
Still boots at 5.2 GHz but I need to give it more voltage which results into temps skyrocketing and I can't run benches with it + scary factor of losing a nice chip.
>>
File: burntest.png (195 KB, 1141x843) Image search: [Google]
burntest.png
195 KB, 1141x843
>>55621553
Posting this here too.
>>
>>55621633
I can only get a stable 4.3Ghz out of my 4770K, and I've given it more voltage as well.
Needs to be stable for 24/7 100% usage. I haven't been to adventurous but I also think I have a shitty chip
>>
>>55621810
Yeah I think my bios sucks. Shouldn't have got an MSI motherboard, it kind of sucks for OC. Just built it... at least it's decent. Probably going to upgrade the MB when I upgrade everything else in the years to come.
>>
File: 1453465548246.png (241 KB, 564x600) Image search: [Google]
1453465548246.png
241 KB, 564x600
>>55621810
I had a i7 4770K before this with the same motherboard and cooling. It's delidded and I definitely was adventurous. I could get it to boot up at 4.4 GHz if I was lucky but it would eventually crash even during desktop. It was stable only when backed down to 4.2 GHz and voltage nearing 1.4v. Subpar chip.
>>
>>55621810 I could get mine to 4.7GHZ but the voltage it takes is way to high, I backed it down to 4.5 24/7 stable. 4.3 on all cores isn't bad.
>>
>>55621867
>my bios sucks

I'm running a 6600k stable at 4.5ghz 1.18v on a msi z170 m7, haven't had any problem with the motherboard.
>>
>>55621867
>>55621882
>>55621907
For some added info, I have an Asus Maximus VI hero mobo and a Noctua NH-D14, and my vcore is 1.25v average.
Run BOINC and other stuff 24/7 and it averages at 45-50C, sometimes over.

Got it to boot to 4.4 and work for a good few hours but I would always return to a computer with a BSOD.
Used to have 8Gb of Corsair Vengeance RAM but swapped it for 16Gb of FuryX something, I think timing wise the Corsair stuff was better, would it make a big difference?
>>
>>55622201
Unlikely that RAM timings would have a significant impact there.
>>
overclocking is a meme. you're voiding your warranty and reducing the lifespan of your computer to get a few hundred megahertz that you weren't willing to pay for in the first place. When does your CPU ever bottleneck anything you do?
>>
File: 3dmark.png (9 KB, 726x213) Image search: [Google]
3dmark.png
9 KB, 726x213
>>55623430
>>
>>55623430

kek
>>
>>55623430
>void warranty
>lifespan

Are you poor? How in the are you going to void the warranty of a K series processor if that shit is made for oc?
>>
>>55623883
A K-series merely allows OC. It is not designed for OC. A CPU is designed to run at the speed it's already clocked at out of the box. That's why it's clocked at that speed to begin with.
>>
>>55623910
>A CPU is designed to run at the speed it's already clocked at out of the box. That's why it's clocked at that speed to begin with.

Totally wrong there I'm afraid m8, what they actually do is design all i7 processors of a certain generation to run at the same clock speed, lets say 4.5Ghz. Then test all the CPU's to see if they can perform at 4.5Ghz with no problems whatsoever for however long. The CPU's that pass the test then become i7 9999KKK super extreme edition. The ones that failed that test then get tested at a lower clock speed, and if they pass that next test they become the i7 9000 edition model. Again the ones that failed that second, lower test, get tested again at an even lower clock and then become a mid range i7 model. It goes on.

That's how it used to be done, and I'm sure it is still done that way
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.