[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some useful project ideas that I can work on, in order
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: github-mark.png (23 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
github-mark.png
23 KB, 1200x630
What are some useful project ideas that I can work on, in order to build up my portfolio?

Is building a github portfolio even a good idea for future jobs?
>>
>>55612850
PC98 emulator for android so that I can play earlier touhou games on my phone.
make sure to design a good interface for controlling the character and shooting.
>>
Github is a bad idea. It's the 4chan of code hosting - you WILL get trolled and everything you can and will do about it WILL make you look bad.

Try a personal website (max professional) or bitbucket.
>>
>>55612926
>It's the 4chan of code hosting -

More like the Twitter of code hosting. Everybody ignores you.
>>
>>55612850
What is your goal? What industry do you want to get into? Within is fine for linking to on your resume, idk why these peckerheads think you're trying to get famous on within. Github is fine
>>
>>55612926
>>55612977

I just mean I'll use this to host my code and shit, then if someone wants to see what kind of work I've done I can show something.
>>
>>55613009
I already have a low level cyber security job, but want to be software developer instead. I feel like I would enjoy that more.
>>
>>55612926
Here's 2 cents from someone with an actual job in the biz - yes, Github protfolio is useful because recruiters/HR departments have discovered the idea. But don't just fork some random project and change the README, when I interview someone that has a Github I will read your code and ask you to explain how it works. And it better build.
>>
>>55613038

Oh well that's kinda obvious. I'm going to make all my projects from scratch.

But I need ideas. What kind of projects would look good in a portfolio?
>>
>>55613031
OK. What field? Web dev? Embedded systems? Front end design? Fucking database management/report generation? Desktop application develop!sent? Do you have a language or topic you're into? "Software developer" is as vague as "engineer".
>>
>>55613093

either web apps or desktop apps
>>
>>55613031
To! I'm in College for cyber security. May I ask how tough and frustrating this job is? Is it easy? Do you have to deal with a lot of people?
>>
>>55613116
my job isn't that technical, I mostly look at possible incoming attacks, then flag and block them. Also I have to write A LOT of reports

I would imagine in most cyber security jobs, that they will give you separate training for the job. So you won't get thrown into the job all of a sudden. You'll be fine as long as you have a descent understanding of what you're studying.
>>
is there a repo service that isn't run by outright racists?

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/02/08/report-anti-white-agenda-revealed-at-githubs-diversity-team/
>>
>>55612850
Make a program that searches 4chan threads/boards and generates staticstics on how many times people create cancer/meme posts.
>>
I got directly recruited by a startup for a Ruby on Rails app I made once.

Most of the time I just get recruiter spam though.
>>
>what kind of work do you want to do
>design software related to that kind of work
>>
>>55612850
A manga reader using Electron/nodejs?

I know you can build one in 2 days or less, but clean interface is what it counts.
>>
>>55613175
Gitlab and gitgud
>>
OpenMW
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.