[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What Linux should I use Been using Windows for a long time and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: linux.png (569 KB, 2000x2357) Image search: [Google]
linux.png
569 KB, 2000x2357
What Linux should I use
Been using Windows for a long time and I have just been upgraded to 10 and I hate it
>>
>>55606406
You mean Linux distro. Distros may have different Linuxes.

Start with Xubuntu
>>
>>55606565
Thanks
>>
I recommend to get couple of blank cd's and see what really fits your needs. Or if you have a spare machine/hdd then you can store all your disc image's inside it, then install those on usb.
Quite often the main diffrence is not the desktop enviroment, it's the way all underlying tools and such are managed.
>zorin is quite "windowsy"
>>
ubuntu would be a good start
after that, find out what you want and research various distros
>>
Linux Lite
Peppetmint
LXLE
>>
>>55606854
Peppermint*
>>
>>55606406
dont go linux on desktop
>>
>>55606876
>
Why?
>>
Guys I have tried ubuntu, fedora, suse... I liked suse above the rest. But I'm not sure how to judge with all the features linux provide. what should I seek to choose one?
>>
Linux mint 18 cinnamon is great
>>
>>55606923

Because it doesn't really work. If all you do with a computer is browse 4chinz and Facebook then go for it, but if you do any real work you're fucked because nothing works.
>>
>>55608108
You fucking asshole. Many people do not only office work in Linux, but scientific grade work also.

FUCK YOU
>>
Hey... What's up? :^)
>>
Scientific Linux, duh. That is, if you want to get any real work done.
>>
File: llmenu.png (293 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
llmenu.png
293 KB, 1600x900
Linux Lite is the most friendly you can get. You will feel at home pushing buttons for everything you want.
>>
>>55609549

Free office software is fine, except for the fact that it has trouble opening Microsoft Office files properly; and since MS is the standard in the industry, nobody uses any free alternative for anything serious.

Design software for Linux is infinitely subpar to Windows alternatives. Autocad has like a hundred clones -some of them free software-, but none of them can do the same things; they don't really have the same power. If your work requires you to use any Autodesk product you're stuck with Windows, because any Linux alternative will be way weaker.

The same thing as above goes to math software, and then there are other suites like Photoshop that have a semi decent free alternative, but still hold an edge over it. GIMP doesn't really replace all of Photoshop's functions; you couldn't realistically hope to use GIMP for work if you're some kind of image edition professional.

There's also the fact that Linux has poor support for incredibly common hardware.

>inb4 Linux detects my printer out of the box, because open drivers are great. In wincucks you need a disk to install it

Windows has generic drivers too, but that's beyond the point because the actual issue is that proprietary drivers often provide very specialized extra functionality, and they're only available for Windows. In Linux it works good enough for printing out of the box, but if you wanna know -for example- how much ink there's left you're often out of luck; there's just no way to make it work. This same thing happens with lots of common hardware such as scanners or gaming mice, making Linux unsuitable for office work or any semi serious home use.

>inb4 Linux is used in 97% of the servers and super computers

>they use Linux in a machine that doesn't handle office related application software or office related hardware, but has very specialized capabilities instead, that means that Linux is perfect for office related stuff

Retard. I like Linux, but it's impossible to take it serious.
>>
I was running windows for a few years straight until I had privacy concerns with Windows 10. I used Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Debian Gnome, and finally for the last few months I've been using Debian "Mate" 7.0. It's very stable, well documented, and great for beginners to the Linux world. I didn't have much of an issue installing graphic drivers, updates haven't fucked my systems, and it's preforming quite well. It's easy on hardware too.
>>
>>55606406
Linux from scratch is distro aimed at users who are starting from scratch.
>>
>>55606406
Elementary or Trenta are amazing.
>>
File: face stocking sip.png (404 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
face stocking sip.png
404 KB, 853x480
>>55610888
This. Same with Arch. Fantastic distro for new users.
>>
File: Its-a-trap.jpg (47 KB, 491x363) Image search: [Google]
Its-a-trap.jpg
47 KB, 491x363
>>55610888
>>55611002
>>
>>55609990
what is this mint rip off
>>
File: 1407176811536.jpg (13 KB, 138x175) Image search: [Google]
1407176811536.jpg
13 KB, 138x175
>>55609990
>It's an Ubuntu-based distro episode

>>55606406
OpenSUSE, Fedora, or Arch. Installing Arch requires you to be able to read a guide and copy a few commands.
>>
>>55606565
>>55606583
non-meme bullshit advice here.

follow what he said. xfce is a really friendly user interface for someone new from either windows or osx and ubuntu has great packages in their repo.
>>
Kubuntu, or anything with Ubuntu in the name.

And they're Linux distributions. Systems built on top of Linux.

ALSO FUCK OFF NORMIE
RREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>55610178
almost all of these are a result of a lack of market penetration instead of technical failings of Linux
keep in mind, most of the reason Windows works with just about all PC hardware is because drivers are mainly written for Windows

it's a pretty nasty cycle for Linux, and I suspect the only way to break it would be if a company was successful building machines with Linux preinstalled (so hardware compatibility isn't an issue)

>>55606406
xubuntu is fine, xfwm behaves quite a bit like Windows (shit, doubleclicking the window icon closes the window just like on Windows), and there's nearly no setup required once installed
any of the *buntus would be fine really: they're easy and well documented, if something breaks, it's about as hard to fix as it would be on Windows, for better or worse, and the only major difference between them is what desktop environment you use and a handful of utilities being part of one DE or another that you can install anyway no matter which one you pick
>>
File: jahovagangsign.png (78 KB, 406x397) Image search: [Google]
jahovagangsign.png
78 KB, 406x397
>>55606406
I highly recommend OpenSuse.
used it for 2 years.
never updated past 13.2 I think the last time I used it but it's stable.
(mainly used it for blender, gimp, schoolwork, ect)
>>
>>55611288
I considered OpenSuse but they've got this weird hybrid thing going on now with their enterprise and 'free' side semi-merged into one with the latest release. I'm not sure how all of that will pan out so I wouldn't recommend it to a newbie.
>>
>>55607232
it's all personal taste
get advanced enough that you know what "features" you need instead of asking for advice
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.