[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Caching
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
What good free caching software is out there for Windows? I'm planning on adding an additional 64GB of ram to my build and I want to use it as a ramdisk and use that for obscenely fast cache.

>I use a server board with 16 dimm slots and I've got 8 left, I have 32GB now

>inb4 persistence
I'll be saving the data on the ramdisk to two 32 GB SSDs in RAID 0 for a 64GB ramdisk
>>
Install Gentoo.
>>
>>55602974
you are asking the same people that ignored your post yesterday.
>>
Just run
mount -o size=32G,noatime /home/ramdisk

:^)
>>
>>55603050
I was trying to post for the other time zones. If you had a suggestion that would be nice, nigger.
>>
>>55602974
>free
There's your issue. Windows software that is actually useful is often behind a paywall
>>
>>55602974

So I have to ask what you need this for out of curiosity.

From my understanding of how caching works (and correct me if I'm wrong) is the only way you would see a speed improvement is if you're constantly reading and writing a massive amount of data to your hard disk drives. The only situation I can see this being useful is if you're using the build as some kind of server.
>>
File: Dog.gif (7 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
Dog.gif
7 KB, 256x256
>>55603203
You don't have a home server, anon?
>>
imdisk is the best ramdisk for windows but it sounds like you're doing this for epeen and not anything actually useful
>>
>>55603237
>windows home server
>>
>>55602974
>I'm going to spend $500 to get a useless 32gb ramdisk
>I can't pay for software
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.