[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/embedded/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7
File: MOV02257.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
MOV02257.webm
3 MB, 640x480
What is /g/ workin on?

still fiddling a little bit around with muh 7 segment display.
>>
>>55592629
>best thread.
>no responses.
this board needs to die desu
>>
Good to see you're still working in it

I'm planning on putting in an order for some parts when I get back to burgerland so I can get started. What microcontroller does /g/ recommend? I was thinking an atmega328p
>>
>>55592821
atmega8 should be enough for most stuff. 328p is not bad either
>>
Nice clock Ahmed
>>
>>55592860
Thanks

So how hard is it to program your own writer to burn hex files? Should I just use my arduino as the programmer?
>>
>>55592629
>>>/diy/ohm

These threads are only good once every month
>>
>>55592890
>Should I just use my arduino as the programmer?
I did that in the beginning. Was decent enough. Then I just bought random usbasp programmer from ebay and using a simple makefile to burn it.
>>
File: lcd.jpg (266 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
lcd.jpg
266 KB, 1600x1200
Trying to make WiFi display with ESP8266, but nothing in my drawers works with it.
It will take a month to get something from eBay.

>>55592890
There is no need in this day and age, just use arduino as a programmer.
>>
>>55592890
if you have a pi rotting away in a shelf you can use that to program it instead
>>
File: 1453425575039.gif (2 MB, 1024x608) Image search: [Google]
1453425575039.gif
2 MB, 1024x608
Someone make a basic guide
I studied this like 10 years ago so i'm lost here now
>>
>>55592931
Oh shit I didn't even think about that. looks like I'll finally have a use for the damn thing
>>
>>55592890
just download avrdude, it supports many programmers.
>>55592821
buy an arduino clone off aliexpress. this way you get an atmega328p and a prototyping board - voltage regulators are included, ttl-usb converter and so on
but you might want to get bare atmega too. you can program it using other arduino or just buy a $2 usbasp programmer

download avr-gcc and go with pure C instead of arduino bloat, or download atmel studio if you're on windows
>>
>>55593033
Yeah, I was planning on buying a standalone and going balls deep with assembly
>>
>>55592629
>1985+31
>not using nixie tubes
>>
>>55593059
standalone is good when you need low power consumption and other clock speeds than 16MHz soldered to arduino board or 2 MHz (16 divided internally by 2)
low power, because regulators on arduino board use quite a lot, like 50 mA, so when you want it to run off battery for months, that's a problem

buy you can upload any program to your arduino board, even one written in asm
arduino board is a good start, because you have a platform ready and it doesn't require you to use arduino ide
>>
I made my Arduino use a 16x2 screen to read me memory usage and CPU power usage every second, using a C# program running as a window service on startup.

It's kind of nice.

Working on soldering some LED strips to put into my case tomorrow. Dont feel like it today.
>>
OP here.
Going to sleep now. Maybe I am doing something tomorroow.
>>
>>55593215
No one cares, blog elsewhere
>>
>>55593102
Good to know, I've messed with my uno for a while and wanted to go a step further worth standalone

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll be back when all my shit is shipped
>>
I've done an escape room timer and a meteo station that allerts me when the temperature in my house is higher than outside. Also I put a 16x2 scren wich tells me the temperatures in real time. Other than this I plugged a rain sensor so I know when it's starting to rain.

Now I just prepared a simple robot that walks around my house (with 3 ultrasonic sensors). I just need the chassis which I bought like 30 minutes ago from ebay.

Now I'm planning to make a laser door switch: when I'm passing through the laser, the electromagnet unlocks the door.

>>55593149
How did you do this?
>>
I am planning on using a BASIC Stamp HW board to turn on a pump and turn it off during certain time intervals. How hard would this be to accomplish?
>>
File: Arduino.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Arduino.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>55593301
Took a little bit of time to iron out the kinks, but there is a library that allows you to fetch information from the OS and CPU as a query, called ManagementObjectSearcher

Once you have the class set up to fetch from the OS and CPU, you can simply get it from a variable and send it to the Arduino through Serial, and then do what you want.

Down side is you need to enable the System.Management library in preference of V.S.

You can get sloppy with it if you want, and just send it through serial, or make a handshake with the Arduino to know that it actually exists before wasting time sending it. I did the latter, so the script ends if the arduino wasnt found to be plugged in.

As for running it as a window service, you will most likely need to install a third party app to successfully make your own window service, as anything from microsoft is pretty much dog shit in terms of developer customization.

I used srvstart. Theres a guide online on how to set it up. Really easy.

Good luck. Heres an old picture of it before I made it look a little more visually pleasing.
>>
>>55593033
if you use an arduino for prototyping, won't that mean that you'll have to have the arduino bootloader on your final product too?
>>
>>55592897
>don't discuss technology on the board called /g/ - Technology
holy fuck you are cancer
>>
>>55593546
no
bootloader simply allows you to upload program to arduino without external programmer
>>
>>55593483
Here it is running in the background as a process.
>>
>>55593558
He's just mad that this thread bumped his graphics card general off the board
>>
>>55593591
how do you handle multi-byte serial transmission?
>>
>>55593683
Serial.readString() will do the trick. As long as you aren't making it anything fancy in the transmission.
>>
File: 1468358526563.jpg (2 MB, 1204x2755) Image search: [Google]
1468358526563.jpg
2 MB, 1204x2755
>>55592629
just hoarding parts
>>
I have an Arduino Mega, two Nanos and a Bluno Nano doing nothing currently.

I was going to have the Bluno in my computer to turn it on automatically when my cellphone came within range but the main problems with that is the motherboard power LED uses PWM (I think) which makes it a bit more complicated to detect if the PC is on or off at a given time and Windows 10 takes about three seconds to boot to login screen so it's not really a time saving anyway, so I think I will pull it out.

I was trying to have one of the Nanos as a seismometer but the accelerometer I'm using doesn't seem to be sensitive enough for small quakes and the other one I have is hyper sensitive so I would probably have to take more data and try to filter it down afterward.
>>
What can I do with an arduino and no peripherals as a beginner? I was thinking about doing something like writing a shell for serial

Also, Why is soldering so fucking hard?
>>
>>55593896
because your soldering iron is xbox hueg
>>
>>55593923
my 5$ iron (pen shape) couldnt melt it at all
>>
>>55593948
maybe it's too cool
maybe the tip doesn't have enough heat capacity. by heat capacity I mean that it cools down rapidly when you try to solder

or maybe chink sold you a 230V soldering iron, but you plug it to 115V, so it has only a quarter of power, so shit can't heat up
>>
>>55593948
Show us your iron.

Soldering isn't so much hard as it takes practice. Soldering irons differ in heat characteristics as well (some heat the very tip better than others, some you need to use the side of the tip to get better heat transfer) so it is a matter of playing around to find how to best melt the solder with your iron.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.