[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does it work?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: 1450170244994.jpg (78 KB, 1024x606) Image search: [Google]
1450170244994.jpg
78 KB, 1024x606
Apple is using only vague words to describe their haptic touchpad.

I had the occasion to test one and I was surprised by how it felt : I wouldn't have told the surface was not been "clicked" down.

What range of frequency the coils are vibrating on?

What does the signal looks like?
>>
File: IMG_20150801_120314.jpg (45 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150801_120314.jpg
45 KB, 640x640
>I wouldn't have told the surface was not been "clicked" down
>>
>>55587928
"I couldn't tell if the surface was not being clicked down"
>>
>>55587960
Oh, yeah. that's what I meant.
>>
>>55587695
It might be possible to perfectly replicate the sensation of clocking actual buttons. The buttons travels such a small distance that we wouldn't notice it traveling. The only thing we sense might be the vibration.
>>
>>55587695
It doesn't feel anywhere as real if you actually used a previous Mac trackpad or any Trackpad with a real button.
Also this is an ergonomic nightmare since while you're expecting a real click while the haptic touch, instead it just tricks you while your wrist takes the full brunt of the force because there's no physical give. Tap on a solid table over and over and see how long your wrist lasts.
>>
>>55587695
http://www.imore.com/science-behind-taptics-and-force-touch

this shit belongs in /sqt/ op
>>
Yeah, it's weird because you don't think about it at all until it's off or asleep, then you press it and it's completely solid.
>>
>>55587999
>to perfectly replicate the sensation of clocking actual buttons.
What frequencies?
According to http://www.ucalgary.ca/pip369/mod7/touch/somato2
it should be around 10 ~ 500 Hz but the feeling was "sharp" somehow...

>>55588009
>It doesn't feel anywhere as real if you actually used a previous Mac trackpad or any Trackpad
>tfw old thinkpad
I never owned apple device. I just had the occasion to use one from a guy in my lab. The few minutes I had it under my hands I was quite surprised.

>>55588016
Thank you.
>it allows what feels like instantaneous feedback which can be calibrated to mimic responses such as clicking.
>The vibrations were programmed through wavefunctions which describe amplitude (how strong the vibration is) and frequency.

I guess I'll have to read the thesis at https://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/29094#files-area to know more.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.