[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GNU/Hurd
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: 600px-Hurd.png (19 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
600px-Hurd.png
19 KB, 600x600
Anyone ever used it? If so: what do you think of it? Is it usable?
>>
File: 1468483087416.png (63 KB, 535x523) Image search: [Google]
1468483087416.png
63 KB, 535x523
>>55586356

/g/ is not tech literate enough to be Hurd developers. They don't even into Guix SD—just Gentoo and Arch.

I've seen some screenshots of it, specifically Debian GNU/Hurd. The DE was painful to look at. This has no bearing whatever on the actual performance, of course.

All in all, it is not usable, most likely, for a know-nothing computer user. As for experts, it probably can do some stuff, but I don't know.
>>
>>55586356
Last i checked it wasn't ready for everyday usage.
>>
It's amazing.
>>
>>55587067
> judges the state of multiserver microkernel development by screenshots of DE
> calls people tech illiterate
>>
>>55586356
Hypervisors have taken the place of what the hurd was supposed to be. It wasn't a terrible idea, and many if its concepts live on, but with the hurd in particular, there were some design flaws that made it dead on arrival.

The main problem I see with their approach was that they tried to be philosophically/architecturally perfect on their first try, even though they were doing something really novel. If they just slapped some shit out like Linus and fixed it as they went along, the world might be a very different place.
>>
File: 1467415282012.jpg (80 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
1467415282012.jpg
80 KB, 600x900
>>55587115

Where do you think we are?
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.