[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cases w/ Horizontally Mounted Motherboards Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8
File: Horizontal Cases.png (697 KB, 1344x666) Image search: [Google]
Horizontal Cases.png
697 KB, 1344x666
ITT we discuss cases where the motherboard is mounted horizontally.
>No GPU sag
>No heavy CPU coolers hanging off motherboard
>Correct I/O orientation

Why would you get a case with vertically mounted motherboard ever again?
>>
>>55582876
Because I don't want a case with a gigantic footprint.
>>
File: Macintosh_G3_DT (1).jpg (131 KB, 1024x653) Image search: [Google]
Macintosh_G3_DT (1).jpg
131 KB, 1024x653
I don't own a horizontal case, but if I had to guess the popularity of towers comes from them:

A) Being easier to make look cool/neat/svelte/etc
B) Just kinda disappearing when slipped underneath your desk

It's hard to make a horizontal case that doesn't look fat and awkward. Cubes can work because the height balances out the width and depth.

I personally would love to see a return of pizza box horizontal cases, except this time they should be wide enough to accommodate a full length GPU and a little taller so a normal ATX PSU because fuck SFX.
>>
I have a Fractal Node 605. I love it. Downside is zero area for cable management. You got to get creative with zip ties.
>>
>>55582876
I have one of those cooler masters on the left. I like it because it has the same footprint as my stereo amp, laser printer and electrostatic amplifier so I can put them all on the same fancy stereo rack and it looks decent. Plus it's nice to be able to open up the top and get at anything I want without much clutter. Like opening up a car hood. That being said, it's probably twice as tall as it needs to be. Doesn't bother me, but I'm sure it's a main criticism of the case.
>>
>>55582876
Literally any server rack mount.
>>
File: Lian Li PC-Y6.jpg (145 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Lian Li PC-Y6.jpg
145 KB, 1000x1000
Best case coming through
>>
>>55582876
>>
>>55582876
Because all of the components you mentioned are sturdy. Your motherboard, on the other hand, is fragile and has thousands of traces and components that will bend and may break with a horizontally mounted motherboard with said heavy shit hanging off it.
>>
Thinking about this from an ATX corsair or fractal design equivalent
>>
i just bolt everything to a 2x4' ply and hang it off my wall
>>
>>55584697
Is there any downside to this
>>
>>55584582
Owning a 250D

You will not dissapoint with this one.
Temps are great and its pretty silent for me.
>>
>>55585104
Dust, no protection from damages.

There's literally no downside if you cover the top and front in plexi
>>
File: IMG_20160715_080429231.jpg (518 KB, 1272x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160715_080429231.jpg
518 KB, 1272x720
>>55583927
Even with 2 videocards and a big cpu cooler there is support below the motherboard and motherboards aren't fragile to weight, here my messy battlestation and i love my case because is silent and temps are really great, also have the ability for hotswap disk is great
>>
>>55585104
looks gay as hell, can't haul it around easily if you wanna go to a LAN party, you will be kinda forced to buy aesthetic components which are more expensive
>>
>ITT MANLETS
>>
File: 1468448235767.jpg (89 KB, 443x750) Image search: [Google]
1468448235767.jpg
89 KB, 443x750
Anyone know which open case linussextips is using?
>>
>>55582876
gpu sag is only a "problem" (more visual annoyance) if you have a huge 3xtr3me g4mer gpu that weighs 5 pounds
>>
>>55584697
post pics
>>
>>55585198
Seconded, great case. Use it as a media center/console emulator on my TV, relatively quiet and temps aren't too bad on air.
>>
>>55587178
>spending more to look good
Isn't that the point of PCs?
>>
I've got the Core X9, pretty good desu
>>
SG13 master race, feels good man
>>
Any opinions on Thermaltake's Core X2/X5/X9 cases? (The one on the right of OP's pic)? Was thinking about buy an X5, but I noticed that while you CAN have 2-3 fans on the front, you can effectively only have one 120mm or 140mm fan actually blowing over the CPU/GPU.
>>
Test
>>
thoughts on the CaseLabs Bullet cases?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.