[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PC restoration thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: images (48).jpg (13 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
images (48).jpg
13 KB, 443x332
Post questions, tips and stories of you restoring a computer

>Pic related
>1.33ghz single core
>1gb ram
>Slow as fuck with windows 7 when someone put it in there and gave it to me
>Put windows XP on it
>Still kinda slow
>Install mint
>Still slow
>Think of installing windows 2000 for it to be atleast decent
>Find windows XP super lite (200 mb)
>Finally runs at an acceptable rate
>Except when you put a video

Well they can't all be complete successes, but that'll do
>>
File: 1468029949681.jpg (109 KB, 695x720) Image search: [Google]
1468029949681.jpg
109 KB, 695x720
>>55576924
>images (48).jpg
>(48)
>>
>>55576924
Try something like lubuntu, puppy linux, damn small Linux, etc
>>
>>55576924
Windows 8 or later might work reasonably well depending on your GPU because of the way later versions of windows offloads more tasks to it. Just be sure to use the 32 bit version instead of the 64 bit version. Also, a RAM upgrade might help but isn't crucial.
>>
File: l9WpWqH.gif (291 KB, 350x315) Image search: [Google]
l9WpWqH.gif
291 KB, 350x315
>>55577127
>1gb RAM
>1.3 ghz single core

>Windows 8+

surely you jest
>>
>have mac
>is slow
>throw in trash
>buy new model
Well they can't all be complete successes, but that'll do
>>
>buy thinkpad G40
>replace 2.8ghz pentium 4 with 3.4ghz pentium EE
>max ram at 2gb
>120gb SSD
>windows xp lite

Its fucking dank. Pic related, its at the top of the pile here.

Did you know this thing has a 210w PSU? Its a housefire waiting to happen but man is it powerful.
>>
>>55577186
Windows 8 was designed from the ground up to accommodate shitty atom tablets with a gig of RAM. It's a lot more friendly to lower end hardware than windows 7 ever was.
>>
>>55577440
A quad core atom is going to perform leaps and bounds above the ancient single core atom from 2009ish
>>
>>55577466
>Thinking the windows 8 era tablets were quad core
Naw man, a fair chunk of them were good old n270. Still dual core but I doubt it'll make that much of a difference. The atom being anything other than godawful is a relatively recent phenomenon
>>
>>55577525
Still, Atoms came a very long way in 4 years (2009 to 2012/13)
>>
I've played around with old computers to see how much I can squeeze out of them.
But it's just a hobby I'd never wish it on anyone to use a computer that old and underpowered.

These days cheap tablets do more and do it better than older laptops and netbooks.
>>
>>55577616
Yes, they did but the n270 was released in 2008. The worrying bit is that you can still buy a "new" tablet with that or the n450. Intel made way too many and were practically giving them away.
>>
>>55576924
add ram. i bet it pages just to load google.com
>>
help please. so a friend has an hp laptop that wont charge. its starts up on a different battery yet still wont charge. bought a new charger and batt and still wont charge. surely not the socket. charging ports? are those an easy fix or should it be better off buying a new laptop? im know basic stuff on desktop setups but laptops are alien to me.
>>
>>55577372
>tfw I have a 3.2 GHz EE
How difficult was it to get into that thing? I hate working on ThinkPads. Maybe I'll just stick it in my rackmount box instead.
>>
>>55577826
It usually involves soldering. Depends on the model. HP usually have maintenance manuals easily available on this new fangled thing called the internet, I suggest you look for it there. If you're not comfortable soldering then just deliver it to any one of the millions of paki PC repair shops, they'll do it for around fifty of your local currency.
>>
>>55577857
extremely, i dont think the previous owner ever removed a single screw, the screws were a bitch to get out

but once i got the keyboard off, the plastic trim was easy, the hardest part was probably removing the heatsink, which weighs about a pound and a half, and was equally as tightly screwed on as the keyboard was

if you can find a g40, cause theyre rare as shit as far as pentium 4/M era thinkpads go, its worth it, with 2gb of ram and the ssd its fantastic for CAD and the integrated graphics on the p4 EE make for superb early 2000's gaming
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.