[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Coding Is Over
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
File: le_bootcamp.jpg (173 KB, 980x552) Image search: [Google]
le_bootcamp.jpg
173 KB, 980x552
>has only a year of experience after "graduating" from "coding bootcamp"

>declares the field dead

https://medium.com/@loorinm/coding-is-over-6d653abe8da8
>>
>>55576450

Top kek

These hipsters are all retarded.
>>
>>55576450
>Be Mechanical Engineer in 1950s
>"Well the car has been made, now what's the point of making new cars?"
>>
>>55576754
Tell me one new car that really makes your life better compared to a car from 1960
>>
>lauren

Should have stopped reading there.
>>
>>55576853

Fuucking white CIS male.
>>
File: 1468440377131.jpg (41 KB, 401x269) Image search: [Google]
1468440377131.jpg
41 KB, 401x269
>Aerialist
>SF native

We need to drop a fucking nuke on San Francisco.
>>
>>55576839
toyota prius
>>
>>55576946
>drop a fucking nuke on San Francisco

This.
>>
>>55576839
pretty much any modern car.
>>
>>55576839
All of them, pretty much. Fuel efficiency wasn't a concern back then, and safety was far, far worse. Not to mention comfort or soundproofing.
>>
>>55576839
Mazda Miata
>>
>>55576946
Drop the next one in Portland.
>>
>>55576450
>get to the bottom
>name pops up
>realize its a female
Opinion discarded.
>>
>>55577024

Basically this.
>>
>>55577009
Of course, after waiting for the survivors to migrate there first.
>>
>>55577009
N-no.
>>
>>55576450
What's it like being a San Francisco elite that lives a delusional worldview where they think that coding really does change the world?
>>
>>55576839
Tesla with Autopilot
>>
>>55577086

React.js is going to save the world.
>>
As someone who's self-taught and has worked in the field for over a decade, when I see ANYONE from these "coding camps" speaking confidently at any level makes my head explode.

This blog entry sounds like internal chatter someone has after smoking a bowl of marijuana.
>>
File: 1466878233205.jpg (51 KB, 448x488) Image search: [Google]
1466878233205.jpg
51 KB, 448x488
>>55576839

Holy shit you are retarded, literally kys my man
>>
>>55577124
You got a problem with marijuana gramps?
>>
man those comments on that page.
Everyone saying more or less, "you go girl!"
Cheering on someone's retarded declaration.

I'm all for someone making something that makes coding less difficult for people, if that's what they want.

However, declaring coding "dead" or useless is like saying all logic is fucking useless.
The fuck are you going to do when you can't find an "app" to help you "program" something? You're fucked.

Which makes perfect sense since I'm witnessing someone choosing to be stupid.

Whatever happened that thing where (famous) people were saying coders are going to be tomorrows rock stars?
I can't say i agree with that either, but at least it doesn't encourage retarding tech society.

idk maybe I'm just mad and out of touch with whats hip, or tech today cause i program in assembly all day for a living.
>>
>>55577086
I fucking hate them. They seriously go through life thinking they have to be part of the next best thing and can't just appreciate making well above the median income of young-middle aged Americans. I'm happy when I solve a tough bug or algorithm issue at work, than I go home and fuck my girlfriend and pretend I can draw. What reasonable human being that anyone could stand to spend time with would get excited by shit like this? I would punch them in the mouth and kick them out of my home.
>>
>>55577009
fucking sucks, cause Portland is actually fairly nice if it weren't for the scum and yuppies.
>>
>>55577151
You sir, figured out the meaning to life there.
>>
>Real engineers code, they say, and coding is what makes you a great engineer.
>coding is what makes you a great engineer.

nobody ever said this
>>
>Coding
>app
>coding
>apps
>apps
>apps
>Coding
>code
>coding
>coding
>coding skillz
>coder
>Coding
>Coding
>app
>code
>apps
>coding
>apps
>coding

This was a painful read.
>>
>>55577142
No, I'm a huge pothead. I just meant that the whole post is drivel.
>>
>Make a webapp using ssh sftp, audacity, bash, and php in under 5 minutes for a simple in home paging system.
>>
>>55576450
>literally: i cant deal with differnt data types all my software is bugs
why do people complain about this do you have no shame?
>>
>>55577218
knowing how to work on and design something makes you an engineer.

Coding just a tool.
lowest level tool since its just math.
>>
>>55577151
Are you implying that you have to be a smug piece of shit in order to genuinely enjoy programming as a hobby and profession?
>>
>>55577272
long as you don't falsely act like some kind of smug asshole that thinks they're a god, no.
>>
>>55577303
What does smug mean to you?
I bet I would trigger the shit out of you by virtue of carrying a laptop everywhere.
>>
File: 1459487295667.png (249 KB, 340x314) Image search: [Google]
1459487295667.png
249 KB, 340x314
>>55576450
So she's:
>a webshit
>a webshit who only BECAME a webshit because of a fucking bootcamp
>a webshit spawn of a bootcamp in SF actually COMPLAINING that programming is DIFFICULT and takes TIME to learn and do
And for the article itself
>coding/apps everywhere ad nauseum
>beta orbiters in the comments stuttering out "y-y-your go girl! s-silly b-boys are just haters!"
Medium just needs to be put in the trash, honestly.
>>
>We should be throwing data into a pile and databases should organize and optimize themselves using machine learning and other buzzwords. People should not be writing database schemas, because we inevitably get it wrong. Database design is an optimization algorithm, not an area of engineering.
spoken like someone who has no actual experience with machine learning
>>
>>55577303
nah, i carry a laptop nearly everywhere.
Wanna work on something outside the cubicle/bedroom, that's cool.

I just cant stand the fucks that just KNOW theyre going to be the next facebook, or next AAA-indie game company. And fucking try to tell everyone. I'm not in SF, but got a of fucks around here like that.

Let the passion of a project drive you, not a "chase for fame"
>>
>For all the fervor and allegiance around open source, most of the projects suck, aren’t maintained, and aren’t used at the enterprise level. Companies end up “rolling their own” and duplicating work.

Reee desu.
>>
File: 098345098.jpg (47 KB, 770x433) Image search: [Google]
098345098.jpg
47 KB, 770x433
>>55576839
>>
>>55576450
If this means that hipsters and SJWs will finally leave, then please die fast.
>>
Jesus fucking Christ
I admit, I'm a pretty shit developer and I work on webshit, mostly on the back end, but even I know this person is fucking delusional. They truly have no idea what they're on about
Have they even ever worked for a client?
>>
>>55577219
>actually reading all that shit
Damn anon...
>>
>>55576839
literally any modern car
>safer
>more fuel efficient
>more comfortable(a/c,sat radio,heated seats)
>more powerful
>>
>>55577146
It's a woman. She's just being herself and trying to lessen the competition. The less people take up coding, the more valuable she'll be with her newfound knowledge..
>>
>We should be throwing data into a pile and databases should organize and optimize themselves using machine learning and other buzzwords.

That's the turing award right there

Thank god these people exist, they're the reason I got 4k per month as entry salary
>>
>>55576839
>seatbelts
>power steering
>radio
>heater and AC
>electronic windows
>digital displays
>more seats
>faster
>stronger
>goes farther
>automatic
>cupholders
>>
>normie goes into profession for autists
>complains it doesn't pander to their normie needs
>>
>>55576990
But.. does it make your life better?
>>
>>55577137
Maybe he is just very clever.
>>
>>55576946
Would you rather have a nuke dropped on San Francisco or Mecca?
>>
>>55576966
Only after we kill every last person who has ever posted on /g/
>>
>>55579082
Careful with that edge, eugene.
>>
>>55576450
>software """"""""""""""""""""engineer"""""""""""""""""
>>
>>55577110

React is ruining it. One good point that's made in that article, is that most 'programs' look the same and generally act the same. And that's true. So why are we writing more code to produce the same shit (test, framework boilerplate, task runner scripts)?

A fair point, badly made.

What people should really worry about, are dependencies they can't account for. That's what the current trend is.

That's why React/Grunt/Angular/Whatever the fuck is shit. People just add it because Facebook/Google/Whoever the fuck force it down our throats.
>>
>>55576839
Anything modern. Higher safety standards, better fuel economy, and pretty much faster as well.
>>
>>55577264
Coding is not math, because math lacks a formulation for feedback (i.e., while loops), and code must always be discrete and stateful. They're similar in some regards, but that similarity gets massively overplayed.
>>
File: tofNaa8.jpg (39 KB, 528x960) Image search: [Google]
tofNaa8.jpg
39 KB, 528x960
>>55577865
>TFW going off social media becomes the hip thing to do
>they all take their flannel shirts, patchy beards, and etsy brand barn wood and build cabins in the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>55576839
Electronic fuel injection is one of the most important advancements in the history of cars.
t. someone who owns an Alfa Romeo with a SPICA mechanical injector
>>
>>55579311
They're similar because they require overlapping skills to do. They both require precise logical problem solving skills. In maths, you need to solve it according to the rules of maths and likewise for programming. Different rules for different issues.
>>
>>55576839
Oh fuck, not this shit again
>>
>>55579479
The person I replied to said "Coding [...] [is] just math." While it's true that both disciplines require abductive reasoning skills and delusion about your role in the problem-solving process, that doesn't make coding math or vice versa. Otherwise I could plausibly say something like "guessing the killer in a mystery story is just coding."
>>
>Product Managers should be able to just make the app do what it’s supposed to do, without knowing how to code at all.

That's how your shitty site will get hacked and turned into a malware distribution center, until the host disables your whole account.
>>
>>55576839
I couldn't live without satellite radio thb
>>
>reverse-google the url
>twitter, twitter, facebook, more twitter

fuck

off
>>
>>55578968
>Automatic
>Better
>>
>at some point, “IT person” became “developer” which became “software engineer”
Stopped reading there
>>
>>55579572
But product managers already don't know how to code at all, by my experience
>>
>>55576450
Look at all the virtue signalling faggots in the comments praising her.

Software is so fucking ubiquitous that the demand for it isn't going anywhere, especially for people with actual computer science degrees.
>>
>>55576450
Guys, she got blown the fuck out in the comments.

https://medium.com/@michaelwestermann/look-out-everyone-the-new-girl-knows-what-shes-talking-about-time-to-pack-it-up-b3b8abb9ba7#.a1epglr1d
>>
>>55579996
>some faggot instantly defends her
Fucking whiteknights...
>>
>>55579422

Yeah, thank god for efi. The more I read about how engines work the more retarded carb lovers seem. EFI is basically always lagging behind little trying to supply what the engine needs at the time It needs but It's still a system that makes a lot of guesses, educated guesses but still guesses. Meanwhile carburetors are like retards running late trying to give what the engine wants In a very shitty matter and obviously a pretty shitty job, wasting fuel and power In the process.

While EFI tries to get the closest possible to perfect engine operation carburetors just say fuck it and throw a shitload of fuel into the engine.
>>
File: 1d8294677c[1].png (11 KB, 640x195) Image search: [Google]
1d8294677c[1].png
11 KB, 640x195
>>
>>55580055
The negative comment had over 100 times the upvotes of any of the other comments.
>>
>>55577151
I'm excited by solving problems and bugs, actually. That's the high I always try to chase when I program. I don't give a fuck about changing the world. It's just a great feeling when your shit just werks
>>
>>55576839

My current car has speed limiting which doesn't let me accelerate past a set speed limit. Doesn't sound like much but It's heavens gift in a speed trap ridden city such as mine. Just have to step on the gas and brake, no need to ever even glance at the speedo.
>>
>>55579171
react is a forced meme in real life. facebook with their endless marketing budget can put on huge conferences and pay their employees to shill their framework online. i have seriously gotten into arguments with facebook employees wherever react is discussed.

and it's a rather trivial technology, i don't get why anyone would get excited about yet another way to manipulate DOM nodes, or another way to do RPC (graphql), other than the fact that it's facebook and presumably of high quality. spoiler: it's not. and if you look around there's plenty of other projects that aren't funded by giant corporations that actually perform better in benchmarks and have nicer APIs to boot.
>>
It's not coding.
It's programming.

Just like how Linux is actually GNU/Linux.
>>
>>55576450
Dam I hate open office floor plans.

My cubicle allows me to browse whatever I want.
>>
>>55578987
This
>>
>>55579034
It makes me less likely to die in a car accident, so yes
>>
>>55577009
Hey now Portland is a pretty decent place, if all the shitty rich white people stopped coming from SF and the East Coast
>>
File: grin.jpg (30 KB, 460x287) Image search: [Google]
grin.jpg
30 KB, 460x287
>>55576450
By the time the SJWs moved in with their "Code of conduct" and donglegate bullshit, coding as we know it was pretty much dead.
>>
>>55576839
ABS has gotten me out of a sticky situation.
>Driving about 50km/hr just left home for work.
>See some random shit and get distracted/zone out
>Turn back to the road
>Dont realize that the car in front of me has come to a stop in the middle of the road for no apparent reason.
>Realize
>Jam brakes hard and safely manouver around the stopped car with brake planted firmly to the floor.
If I had skidded I would have crashed because there's no way I would have stopped or been able to turn with the tires sliding.
Thanks ABS, nothing bad happened that day.
>>
>>55580080
You do not know anything about engines.
>>
>>55576450
>proven fact (probably)
Well is it or isn't it? Stopped reading.
>>
>>55580310
>shitty rich white people
At least its not niggers, it could be Detroit.
>>
>>55576990
>Fuel efficiency wasn't a concern back then
many older cars have better gas mileage than current day cars purely because they weigh less and were much smaller

sure, it's true they were not nearly as safe, but they definitely didn't have that bad gas mileage
>>
File: 1351361421672.jpg (29 KB, 294x360) Image search: [Google]
1351361421672.jpg
29 KB, 294x360
>>55580395
>>
>>55577333
please leave my poo poo in my bum bum :(
>>
>>55576450
She's 100% right. Only white males pretend otherwise.
>>
>>55576450
She has a point. Most apps are just reinventing the wheel and programming itself has never been anything more than a means to an end.
>>
>>55576946
Why, is San Frenchisco not free enough?
>>
>>55577137
>kys
that's lewd man
>>
>>55576839
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBU0tV_UcUw

anime prius
>>
File: capture.png (16 KB, 1280x600) Image search: [Google]
capture.png
16 KB, 1280x600
>>55576450
Huh, is it just me and Firefox?
>>
>>55576450
It's burst already?
>>
>>55580081
damn, you'd have to be pretty deep in the sf bubble to have a view like this
>>
I'm not particularly worried about these coding bootcamps and shit.

Most people nowadays still don't know how to code. And I mean actually code. Even in engineering programs where they're trying to introduce people to computer-based methods of analyzing data and number crunching most students are terrified of any kind of loop. Even if statements are enough to make them piss themselves sometimes.
>>
>>55576754
you cant download a car like you can a program
>>
>>55581453
basic income is getting popular all over the US

when the robots take over many jobs dont you think we will need it

might as well start innovating now for the future
>>
>>55581487
you don't need to code as long as you can kode
>>
>Styles should generate themselves based on a few keywords like “make it metal, black, and evil”

>Have you ever wondered why we need a server acting as a middleman between the client and the database?

>My current undertaking is to build an easy-to-use drag-and-drop interface, where anyone and everyone can construct fully-featured, full-stack apps, with no coding. I have no idea how I’m going to do it

Also, all the comments:
>Recommended by Lauren Mendoza
Why is this even a feature? What a hugbox mentality.
>>
>>55578864
This. It comforts me to know that this sort of stupid whore is making up the competition.
>>
>>55580170
I like react but I dont understand the hype. Its a convenient way to work with the DOM when you have elements that will be re-rendering a bunch. But thats it. Thats basically all that it does. It seems like a niche technology that everyone feels they have to use because everyone else said so
>>
>>55576450
>Webdev
>Coding
Ha, tell that to the thousands of firmware, embedded, graphics programmers. Holy shit the first thing these webdev fucks do after they "learn" how to code is write fucking blogs
>>
>>55582132
JavaScript is the center of programming. Anything else exists merely to service JavaScript.
>>
>>55576450
nice chuckle before bed, thanks
>>
>My current undertaking is to build an easy-to-use drag-and-drop interface, where anyone and everyone can construct fully-featured, full-stack apps, with no coding.
>I’ll probably use React.
jesus christ

>In reality, software engineers are not smarter or better than any other type of worker.
sounds like someone who's never had a minimum wage job

>With the death of coding, diversity will increase.
oh of course, that's the end goal
>>
>>55576450

Was reading until this point:

>We’re already there
>GraphQL eliminates backend routes and will completely replace REST in the coming years. Have you ever wondered why we need a server acting as a middleman between the client and the database? This should be abstracted away yesterday.

>why we need a server acting as a middleman between the client and the database?
So that the client isn't able to send arbitrary queries at the database? Does this idiot not know how much devastation a SQL injection vulnerability can bring?

>>55580081

If my job is more difficult to do and requires more education, I expect to be paid more than a waitress at a local cafe, or else why do it?

>>55580180

He talks a lot about HTML and CSS, which are not programming, just coding.
>>
>>55581676
Basic income would destroy our society, and robots aren't nearly sophisticated enough to take over more tasks than they already have.
>>
>Product Managers should be able to just make the app do what it’s supposed to do, without knowing how to code at all.
>Everything has already been built in other apps and should be reused.

this is just a bait article
>>
Why is she being called a software engineer after some bootcamp? Software engineers are people who went through a software program at their school's engineering department instead of through the regular CS program.
>>
Wtf is an arealist?
>>
>>55583402
because that's her job title at the Javascript factory where she slaves away at making shitty boilerplate messes
>>
>>55576450
> writing is dead
> why would you type out an e-mail when it's always the same standard text being re-typed over and over, with the risk of messing up? Just use a set of images that illustrates clearly and moore intuitively what you're trying to convey
> implying this isn't a stupid idea
"Coding" is just how we talk to computers and tell them what to do. Using a pseudo-language for this purpose seems pretty reasonable to me.
>>
File: opH4.png (22 KB, 667x335) Image search: [Google]
opH4.png
22 KB, 667x335
If you're a man in this thread, apologize right now
>>
>>55583196
does GraphQL necessarily have injection bugs? or are you saying you can find them if you can query anything? couldn't graphQL just deny certain queries if that were the case?
>>
>>55583617

I'm not sure what GraphQL is or how it works, but the point I am making is this:

A SQL injection query works by letting the client make queries directly to the database through poor escape strings.

If the client can make queries directly themselves, you have just created a giant security hole.

>>55583585

I apologize for nothing.
>>
>>55576839
>ABS
>Powersteering
>Airbags
>Heated and cooling seats
>Heated Mirrors
>TPMS
>Park assist
>Rear-view camera
>Dashcam

First three on that list makes me safer, next two make driving tolerable (not listing A/C as that has been around in limos since the 30's), next three are extremely useful, the last one prevents insurance companies from fucking me over. The only downside to modern cars are that they aren't giant durable steel boats.
>>
>>55576450
>I love being called an engineer, especially after only three months of “education”. But most of what we do is not engineering. Being an engineer is about solving new problems, and about deep thinking. It’s intellectual work.

No one trusts them with anything important because they have next to no education, and fuckall experience. The diversity hire should feel lucky they have a job period with such shit qualifications.
>>
File: AllLaughter.webm (819 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
AllLaughter.webm
819 KB, 640x480
>>55576450
>Coding is super dumb
>Coding allows for typos. More than that, it allows for infinite “creativity”, also known as code smells. Most code is pretty rank. Engineers spend countless hours dealing with syntax, typos, indentation, linting, errors, arguing over style and best practices, and making shortcuts to try to coax some of the code to type itself. It’s absurd. And it’s a waste of time.
Wot
>>
>>55576450
I didnt read the posted links but, my POV is programming jobs are fucked instead of dead because pajeets and chinko hiroshima jackie chans from east is taking up all the jobs receiving minimum wage working 18hrs a day doing shitty unstable codes.

I know that usually project leads dont really require much programming insight skills like the programmer themselves, at least know the basic and common sense of how a software would work or how or when it wont work.

But no, they be chads now. All project money dumped over the sea and consumers get shitty softwares on day one.

Worked with some singaporean project leads, shit is fucked up. They care about their watches more than the software itself, good riddance they got fucked off at the near end of the project.
>>
File: 1281938936290.jpg (78 KB, 540x366) Image search: [Google]
1281938936290.jpg
78 KB, 540x366
>>55580145
sounds fucking lame m8

Ill keep using my old truck with big ass vee ate and cant be gps tracked by the government

250 screaming horsepowers at 8 miles per gallon fuck yea
>>
>>55583842
>I didnt read the posted links
I could not read the article, because I keep getting "This site can’t be reached". Can I get a screencap?
>>
>Software engineers are grossly overpaid, and many (I) feel entitled to the money and benefits they (I) enjoy. In reality, software engineers are not smarter or better than any other type of worker. With the death of coding, diversity will increase. Engineering will reflect the rest of society, rather than favoring a very small and socioeconomically exclusive subset of people.

/g/ on SUICIDE WATCH

BTFO
T
F
O
>>
>>55580310
>Portland is a pretty decent place, if all the shitty rich white people stopped coming from SF and the East Coast

Portland was a god-awful, violent cesspool after the post-WWII boom ended, then the logging boom ended. Intel became the state's largest employer, then the Dot-Bomb crash happened, dumping the state back into shit.

It was on life support from around 1990 until a year or two ago. Portland itself generates the majority of tax revenue for the entire state. And why? Because Californians moved there to start technology companies.

Literally EVERYTHING good about Portland since maybe 1970 has been courtesy of the influx of Californians. And the city is STILL full of retards. Gang banger wannabes, greaser shitheads, rapists, pedophiles, and welfare recipients.

Fuck Portland.
>>
>>55576839
go buy a car from 1960 and enjoy dying in a car crash.
>>
what's the theoretical reason we can't build a program that will solve all other problems?
>>
>>55583968
AI is not a solved problem.
>>
>>55583787
>Being an engineer is about solving new problems, and about deep thinking. It’s intellectual work.

Being an engineer is about understanding complex systems. The guy maintaining the steam engine is an engineer. The guy doing stress calculations is an engineer. The guy refactoring the decade-old codebase is an engineer.

Modern society created the concept of licensed engineers, and suddenly traditional engineering doesn't exist anymore.

A software engineer will take a dumb, boring specification and create complex, reliable software from it. And he will do it reasonably close to a predicted schedule.

This idiot is just upset because she realized software is actually almost entirely boring stuff. It's a fucking JOB, not a passion.

The hard part of most software engineering is GETTING THE FUCKING JOB DONE. So many "software engineers" just throw their hands up and quit, or outright lie until they can find a new contract or job, then jump ship, leaving zero real work done.
>>
>>55583973
without the use of AI. i just vaguely remember saying it was a version of the halting problem or something like that.
>>
File: noscript.jpg (50 KB, 335x223) Image search: [Google]
noscript.jpg
50 KB, 335x223
>>55582327
eat shit

javascript is malicious
>>
> i spent 5 years in uni and have 3 years experience and I'm probably getting paid the same as her
the money doesn't go as far in SF but it's still a sobering though
>>
>>55583992
She isn't even a "software engineer" she has three months of education, and limited experience. I don't think her quitting would be a big loss.
>>
File: image.jpg (245 KB, 750x1137) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
245 KB, 750x1137
>>55576839
My Camaro SS has a Head's up Display. It's monochromatic but that's Ok.
>>
>>55584095

Yeah, she's not a software engineer, she's a "coder". She learned a couple of tricks and thinks she's a magician.

The hilarious thing is the sentence where she explains that people just start calling themselves software engineers. Clickbait bullshit.
>>
>Just made a website using a drag-and-drop webpage template builder

WHITE CIS SCUM ENGINEERS BTFO
WEB DEV IS DEAD NOW
>>
>>55583488
Someone please answer this.
>>
>>55584227

Probably something to do with acrobatics. Maybe that thing where you hang from a silk thing and fuck around on it.
>>
Amusingly it looks like a lot of the positive responses were from either hipsters, or managers who'd be happy to fire their programmers and cut a shitload of overhead from their teams.
>>
>>55584566

Every now and then I'll get a wad of cash from cleaning up messes at a company unfortunate enough to buy into "This will make the techies you rely on obsolete" bullshit.
Getting rid of the human resources requirement of tech is a managerial wet dream.
It's sad that they can't see that it's their ignorance and impulsive schemes that end up being more expensive in the long run.

I feel bad for the girl who wrote the article. She's naive and inexperienced, and her opinions are probably fueled by being a diversity hire, and having weird entitled opinions fed to her.
But not that bad, because she is the competition.
Are there a lot of people like her out there in SF?
>>
>>55584758
SF is so bad even non-americans know about it, thanks for the southpark episode dedicated to hipsters in SF smelling their own farts
>>
>>55584811
Non-American, can confirm. South Park not required.
>>
File: 798.png (306 KB, 593x540) Image search: [Google]
798.png
306 KB, 593x540
>>55578968
>automatic
>>
>>55579882

Coding isn't the PM's job and nor should it be.

A PM's job is to listen to customer requests and engineer's recommendations and mould them into a working product that the customer wants.
>>
>>55583585
Sorry that white men are the best :(
>>
he's not wrong about crud monkeys though
we need a genocide for crud monkeys
>>
>>55579311
>I've never done math past high school
>>
>>55576839
BMW i8
>>
>>55579311
>Coding is not math, because math lacks a formulation for feedback (i.e., while loops), and code must always be discrete and stateful.

Euclid's algorithm uses a 'while loop' and predates modern computers by well over a millenia. Such algorithms were considered the domain of mathematicians before 'computer programmers' had even been conceived of.
>>
>>55576450

I was looking through the comments and I have a question I seriously want answered. Are all these cuck faggots only in specific areas of the tech industry or is it all overrun with them. I mean the white knight "nu-male" etc.. you know what I mean.

The reason I am asking is - I'm going to CC soon for IT and if these are the people I end up dealing with I'll just go into welding desu
>>
>>55585267
Honestly just go into welding. This entire career is terrible
>>
>>55585310

Even IT? It seems easy and since most people don't know shit about computers you can just pretend to be busy.

>>55585325

I should've just said skilled work, most likely electrician or IT if that is considered.
>>
>>55585397
Dude don't. Welding would be a better skill for you to have.
>>
>>55576839
audi a6
>>
>>55585397
Electrician would be a good choice.

The shop I work is actually an electrical company and an IT company, so you could potentially work with IT too if you really wanted, and the IT people will respect you for actually knowing shit about computers
>>
Did anyone actually read that blog post? She discussed how software engineers spend alot of time re inventing the wheel and are proud for it, and it's not actually problem solving. She wants more standardisation / pre packaged solutions. I think that's a reasonable discussion. /g wouldn't understand this though because everyone here thinks fizzbuzz is an achievement.
>>
>>55576839
You can drive a tesla into a brick wall at 100mph and walk out without scratches.
>>
>>55580515
no, they get better gas mileage because they had zero emissions controls

that's why you see 50+ mpg engines shit common in europe that they can't sell here. the emissions controls necessary to make them legal to sell kill the mpg
>>
>>55583750
>The only downside to modern cars are that they aren't giant durable steel boats.
that's not a downside, that prevents the car from turning your insides into string cheese in a collision
>>
>>55577643
She is right about open source at least.
>>
>>55587897
nice meme
>>
>>55577643
BTFO'D
FREETARDS ON SUICIDE WATCH
>>
>>55577643
So much open source stuff is restricted by GPL, so you can't use it for closed source stuff, companies kind of have to "roll their own" in a lot of cases.
>>
>>55576450
"Coding is super dumb"
Fucking normies
>>
>>55579311
Summer kid has never seen an actual algorithm
>>
>>55583180
She probably thinks Scratch/Gamemaker are on the same level as C or ARM
>>
Fucking hipsters die

Also
>using @ in urls
Painful

inb4 le epic grandpa meme
>>
>>55580145
What car?
>>
She went to the same bootcamp as I have. Looks like she's been in the field for a total of 4 fucking months. She's a god damn disgrace and is just throwing out technologies she probably heard of from engineers more senior than her such as GraphQL and Algolia.

The quality of that bootcamp and dropped significantly in the last year of operation, what a shame.
>>
>>55587190
>she
>reasonable discussion
>>
File: beannigger.png (19 KB, 383x114) Image search: [Google]
beannigger.png
19 KB, 383x114
>>55576450
I run a chain of Coding "Boot Camps". We have a 80% hire rate among students seeking employment after and a 70% retention rate at the jobs one year after they've started.

I'd say there are at least 50 job openings per class per location. The problem with the 20% that don't get hired is they don't fail at coding.

They fail at life.

People like "Lauren Mendoza" will go to a Coding Bootcamp because they failed at high school, they failed at university, and then they failed at whatever miserable job they were at before retreating to Coding BootCamp as a last resort to de-fuck their pre-train wrecked lives.

BootCamp's are not Vocational schools and should not be treated as vocational schools. They are **MUCH** harder than a university class, or even the job they get when they graduate.

The number of iOS jobs there are out there is almost depressing because I am an open source advocate. Of course I've sold out and teach Swift, but god damn. If you can't get a job with a solid Swift resume & portfolio you need to apply for government assistance or shoot your self and be done with it.
>>
>>55590212

LMAO shilling on /g/

Even Hillary shills wouldn't sink that low.
>>
>>55590375
He didn't even mention a specific name of a camp; how is he shilling?
>>
>>55576839
improvements since 1960:
>OBD-II
>3 point seatbelts
>fuel injection
>airbags
>operating efficiency
>materials that absorb shock
>significantly faster
>>
While we're on the topic, im an aussie software dev, should i stay here getting paid 90K AUD or move to America getting paid 120K AUD? Where should i move if so?
>>
>>55576839
Nothing. Modern cars are botnet that send telemetry data to manufactures and third-parties.
>>
>>55590538

Shiiit... What is not a botnet nowadays?
>>
>>55590212
>this writing style
Looks straight out of reddit. Quotes, superfluous line breaks and asterisks for emphasis, adorning a long-winded blog post.
>>
File: 1439657548380.png (30 KB, 200x193) Image search: [Google]
1439657548380.png
30 KB, 200x193
>>55576450
She has a point about everyone rehashing CRUD apps.

She also has a point about web development being easy and stupid.

There are ego problems among coders as well

BUT
>She doesn't understand the need for a server in front of a database.
>She thinks server programming is about optimization when 100% of the time it's the database code where the algorithms come into play.
>She thinks web development is software engineering.
This one irks me the most. Software engineering is largely a planning/architectural role, not mere programming. Software engineers don't write fizzbuzz. Software engineers design the whole stack and tell other people what functions to write.

People need to stop calling themselves software engineers when in reality they're just programmers.
>>
>>55590458
>in the US your expenses go up too

Building connections and staying where you stay have advantages.
>>
>>55590678
Fair point, thanks for the info!
>>
>>55576450
What blows my fucking mind is that she's so goddamn ignorant that she isn't aware of the other attempts to create a drag and drop interface, and so goddamn stupid that she hasn't realized that this is something someone might have tried before.

Drag-drop coding is inflexible, unpleasant, and doesn't actually save any time. If you design a component properly, you can make use of it with a line or two. You don't need to load some clunky graphical tool, scroll around looking for the right place - something you can't just search for anymore - then navigate some context menu picking the right component. Oh, and you want to pass parameters to a constructor?

I'm wasting too much time on this garbage already. This person is a fucking moron.
>>
>>55590786
She's talking about web design, which could use some drop and drag programming desu
>>
>>55579996

Felt really good to see her getting btfo. Thank you, anon, for linking it.
>>
File: 1560641-1361301549.png (31 KB, 574x517) Image search: [Google]
1560641-1361301549.png
31 KB, 574x517
>>55576839
Just about anything that isn't a Ford or a KIA.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXsOJsXpDcE

This thread needs some Based SLAYER
>>
File: 1460017503977.png (117 KB, 680x528) Image search: [Google]
1460017503977.png
117 KB, 680x528
>>55576839
>>
>>55576839
a typical minivan DESTROYS every 1960s muscle car and hotrod in every performance metric except high end speed
>>
>>55591355
But I love my ford pinto
>>
>>55579681
Driving a standard in stop and go traffic is awful
>>
>>55588388
gpl is cancer desu sempai
>>
>>55593468
not if its diesel produced after 2005
>>
File: 1463615937784.jpg (27 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1463615937784.jpg
27 KB, 480x480
>>55576450
>We should be throwing data into a pile and databases should organize and optimize themselves using machine learning and other buzzwords

Why is this so fucking painful? Is she really that disconnected with reality

>Software engineers are grossly overpaid, and many (I) feel entitled to the money and benefits they (I) enjoy. In reality, software engineers are not smarter or better than any other type of worker. With the death of coding, diversity will increase. Engineering will reflect the rest of society, rather than favoring a very small and socioeconomically exclusive subset of people.

Ahhh now it all makes sense.
>>
>>55591518
You know that's a Minor Threat cover, right?
>>
>>55580081
>muh basic income
God why won't this shitty SF meme just fucking die?
>>
>>55576450
B U R N
S A N F R A N C I S C O
T O
T H E
G R O U N D
>>
>>55584120
>The hilarious thing is the sentence where she explains that people just start calling themselves software engineers. Clickbait bullshit.
Like universities didn't exist right.

I was already pissed starting to read the article when the top said "software engineer". Don't these people know "engineer" is a regulated term.
>>
File: 3mPy9.png (3 KB, 490x84) Image search: [Google]
3mPy9.png
3 KB, 490x84
>>55579311
kek
>what is recursion
>what is Turing completeness
>xddd guise I self taught myself Java and dropped out of high school
>>
>>55595504
>t. Someone who doesn't have a job in tech

I can't remember the last time I had to do any of that crap.
>>
>Have you ever wondered why we need a server acting as a middleman between the client and the database? This should be abstracted away yesterday.
>>
>>55595545
I enjoy using a bit of math in my work as a software engineer, it spices things up. I work on integrated graphics on Linux for guess which company. What do you do that doesn't ever require recursion?
>>
>>55583196
>If my job is more difficult to do and requires more education, I expect to be paid more than a waitress at a local cafe, or else why do it?
>or else why do it

exactly, your job is not really needed except for someone else to make a profit from it

example:
>you don't get paid to raise kids, yet you have to do it or your kid will die -> a job actually useful for society

>you don't get paid to read an interesting book, yet you have to do it or noone else will read it for you -> a job actually useful for yourself

>you don't get paid to go for your groceries, yet you have to do it or starve to death -> a job actually useful for everyone

we're spending our time on unnecesary tasks because of the way the economy works. Many things are useless and even stupid.

There are bad jobs (that create more than people really need, for example) and really stupid jobs that don't produce anything and only exist to cover up the stupid meta-needs of the economic system (e.g. advertizing, stock trade, etc)

If your job is so stupid and useless you wouldn't do it if you could afford not to, then either you're really poor, really greedy or really stupid
>>
>>55593496
What does that have to do with it? There's a reason that semi's roll in first and its because constantly having to clutch is annoying and tiring.
>>
>>55580389
good save but dont follow that close.
>>
>>55595728
>good save
Not him but...
At 55 mph if someone decides to slam their brakes and come to a complete stop (happened to me) you need A LOT of room. Few people give enough room to come to a sudden stop at 55 mph.
>>
File: 1246391075639.jpg (89 KB, 432x324) Image search: [Google]
1246391075639.jpg
89 KB, 432x324
>>55576450
Why isn't there a universal library yet?
>>
>>55576450

Considering that a place called "coding bootcamp" exists...
>>
File: Capture.png (36 KB, 658x632) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
36 KB, 658x632
>>55576450
>has only a year of experience
Not even. Pic related is her LinkedIn profile. She started in April. Everything else listed is finance shit.
>>
>>55596525
"My main focus nudnik learning out frontend stack". Literally hired as an unqualified employees am just because she doesn't have a dick.

Kek
>>
>>55596525
>start up whore

God when the fuck is SF going to burn down?
>>
>>55583660
>>55583617

GraphQL is literally just a query language.

Think of it like REST, the idea is mostly the same, except the client can define what data they want back in the response, including related entities without making additional requests.

Your authorization middleware continues to function, the user doesn't get back anything they shouldn't, it isn't direct database access.... but the funny part is that the author doesn't actually know that.
>>
>>55583402
yeah this shit pisses me off. im not an elitist about education at all, but this bitch and i are both called "software engineers" when i have a 4 year degree and she has a 3 month bootcamp education.
>>
File: Design_Patterns_cover.jpg (6 KB, 140x175) Image search: [Google]
Design_Patterns_cover.jpg
6 KB, 140x175
>>55576450
>https://medium.com/@loorinm/coding-is-over-6d653abe8da8
>Once a problem has been solved, that solution should be applied to other similar problems. A template of instructions is handed off to a worker, or a factory of workers, to duplicate the design as needed. We don’t tell each worker in a car factory to design a new car from scratch. Instead, we give workers a template, and we make it impossible for them to mess things up. When the instructions are so easy anyone can follow them, it becomes a menial job. More than that, it becomes a robot’s job.

This was published in 1994
>Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software is a software engineering book describing recurring solutions to common problems in software design. The book's authors are Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson and John Vlissides with a foreword by Grady Booch. The book is divided into two parts, with the first two chapters exploring the capabilities and pitfalls of object-oriented programming, and the remaining chapters describing 23 classic software design patterns. The book includes examples in C++ and Smalltalk.
>>
>>55583402
beacuse her surname is MENDOZA
>>
>>55583946
software "engineers" on suicide watch.
computer scientists not
>>
File: WHAT_THE_FUCK.png (152 KB, 799x767) Image search: [Google]
WHAT_THE_FUCK.png
152 KB, 799x767
I'm ready to die now.
Please grant me the sweet release of death god...
>>
>>55585222
Euclid's algorithm is not general recursion, it's a case where the problem gets strictly smaller with each iteration. This is not what a while loop in programming is, which is to say, Euclid's algorithm is not subject to the halting problem. On the contrary, it's actually a good example of why math and programming are not particularly similar.
>>
>>55595504
The Ackermann function is total for nonnegative m and n, and we can determine the values of m and n for which it's nonterminating, which means it does not require Turing-completeness. So better luck next time.
>>
>>55581657
>For now
>>
File: Coding Is Over — Medium.png (665 KB, 1140x886) Image search: [Google]
Coding Is Over — Medium.png
665 KB, 1140x886
>>
The only thing I can agree with in this article is that she feels undeserving of the title of engineer after only 3 months of studying and some work.
The title of "computer scientist" is already a meme, and "software engineer" is getting closer and closer to a meme state with all these shitty boot camps and ignorant wannabe devs.

> Let's make software engineering great again
>>
>>55597882
>>55597983
Since people didn't seem to have very good CS educations, the big question is, why do we have computers if we have math? Why were computers built in the first place? The answer is, there are problems that are computable but that don't have closed forms. The simplest example is probably Conway's Game of Life (or the Rule 110 cellular automaton if you're Stephen Wolfram). The next question is, why are there still open problems now that there are both computers and math, and there are several answers to that, but issues with feedback and dimension and reason-explanation are at the heart of it.
>>
See also https://medium.com/@quincylarson/every-time-someone-posts-one-of-these-coding-is-over-essay-on-medium-they-undo-a-good-chunk-of-b7989849390b#.fet6r41hd for a more work-safe response as to why she's wrong.
>>
File: 1392151465962.gif (2 MB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
1392151465962.gif
2 MB, 250x188
>>55576946
>We need to drop a fucking nuke on San Francisco.
/k/ommando here, please do. In fact nuke the entirety of California while you're at it.
>>
>>55598230
what's it like being more easily triggered than SJWs?
>>
>>55580389
>Dont realize that the car in front of me has come to a stop in the middle of the road for no apparent reason.
Seriously why do people do this, fuck.
I can't fucking drive to the nearby supermarket without having this shit happen at least 3 times.
>>
>>55580170

Its funny when people think its high quality because of facebook when facebook is built on fuking PHP
>>
>>55576450
>>55583946

>With the death of coding, diversity will increase. Engineering will reflect the rest of society, rather than favoring a very small and socioeconomically exclusive subset of people.

This is what the "Read scare" warned us about. These people are cultural marxists (undercover communists) and should be jailed as traitors.
>>
>>55599130
>Read scare

*Red scare
>>
>front end retard
literally who gives a shit?
>>
>>55590819
I understand why you would say that, but drag-drop has never been done in a way that made life any easier. Unless you mean UI, and then yeah, for sure.

What web design really needs is something more consistent than HTML. There are 9 different ways to put an element in the middle of the page, and they're all broken.
>>
>>55595373
My title is a permutation of "Software Engineer" and I hate it. I didn't go through 4 years of hell to earn a shitty ring and a P. Eng. after my name. I'm not a fucking engineer, and I don't need to be.

I said this on reddit once and received one billion downboats. Serves me right.
>>
>>55596274
I do. People tailgate me and swerve around, honking and gesticulating. Damn dirty apes in their pickup trucks.
>>
>>55598090
That warehouse layout. They might as well put their workstations on shipping pallets. Can you imagine the noise in that place?
>>
File: 2016-07-16_165634.png (17 KB, 717x401) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-16_165634.png
17 KB, 717x401
She does make a good point here.
Some points are good, some points are shit.
The biggest thing i would disagree with is the title, because some of her good points contradict it and actually provide solutions.
>>
>>55599130
>>55599141
>/pol/
>>
File: womenmenstem.jpg (167 KB, 1100x654) Image search: [Google]
womenmenstem.jpg
167 KB, 1100x654
>>55578788
>>
>>55588962

Peugeot 208(french shitbox) but many cars come with said feature nowadays since It's relativelly simple to Implement In drive by wire cars.

>>55583880

But you can have a gas guzzling, non cia tracked car, you just need a car modern enough to have drive by wire and the rest Is simple since It's sorta similar to cruise control.
>>
oh fug, what should I study now if coding is dead?
>>
>>55602914
gender studies
>>
The www is now infected with retards. Thank god for /g/ for now.
>>
>>55584256
so, someone who uses a sex swing?
>>
File: 1464884752074.jpg (226 KB, 869x1776) Image search: [Google]
1464884752074.jpg
226 KB, 869x1776
daily reminder
>>
>>55590212
what's so special about those bootcamps that they are harder than uni?
>>
>algorithms are basically dead and we never have to improve or come up with new ones ever
Heh

Also
>coding
>>
>tfw a self taught programmer but can't get a job in industry because no degree and no bull shit code bootcamp

>tfw I've tutored and taught people and even people who do have jobs come to me for help with problems

What do /g/, should I just kill myself?
>>
>>55576839
literally everything made after the 80s
before the 80s cars where terribly unreliable, and just unfun to use.
but modern cars just werk™ if you take care of it properly.
>>
>>55604092
don't have code to show? I have a few random projects on shithub and get harassed by recruiters
>>
>>55604115
I have some projects on github, although I haven't been using it as much recently. I've been thinking about just doing random shit for filler, but I've been having trouble coming up with project ideas recently.
>>
>>55604154
contributions to well known projects might work better
any proof that you can code = gold (as least when I was trying to recruit people - too many fakers)
>>
>>55604092
I have a degree and a github with projects and it took forever for me to get a job and not even a good one.

>tfw a person I taught JavaScript concepts to is now working as a JavaScript developer at Facebook
>>
>>55576754
New cars are overcomplicated junk that you can't repair easily and are designed to fail so you buy another one. And on top of that, they still cost a lot of money.
>>
>>55604247
facebook developers are not good, though
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.