[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thinkpad T400 upgrade
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 20160713_205022_001.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
20160713_205022_001.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
I got a 10/10 t400 for practically free and I am currently looking into upgrading. For even 100 bucks I could probably get a decent runner, so I think. I've already put 4 gb of ram in and a 801.11n card and I've decided to look into the cpu since the best of the series are probably pennies now.

The screw on the pga479m socket got me thinking about swapping not only the model, but also the series entirely.
How feasible is this? Has anyone done it? And what's the best chip for the current socket? (I'll probably throw in a little more copper and thermal paste anyways)
>>
That screw doesn't let you remove the socket. It's just to lock the CPU in place. While it is theoretically possible to develop a custom board that would take a newer CPU, that's something well beyond the abilities of you, me, or anyone on /g/.

The best CPU the T400 came with stock was the T9600, but you should probably get a T9400 instead. The highest-end Core 2s tend to be very overpriced, and the difference between them and the slightly-below-highest-end models tends to be completely unnoticeable in real-world tasks.
>>
>>55563936
Flash GNU Libreboot on it. Free as in freedom BIOS
>>
>>55564477
P9700 or T9900 were the fastest T400 CPUs
>>
>>55563936
>>>/tpg/
>>
>>55564477
So what I've deduced is that the 479 socket is being used, however, the cpu is a 478. The 478 just has 1 less pin than the 479. Meaning I could find a T9900 and grease everything in thermal paste.

I don't get these specs though. The "E842B858" makes me think this is a centrino m 858, however the specs at the bottom make me think its a P8400
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.