[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: /g/ fixes Computer Science
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 15
ITT: /g/ fixes Computer Science
>>
Early computers didn't have any bitwise operations.

Mathematicians in the 1950s wanted parallel (all bits of a word) boolean operations included in CPUs to do be able to work with sets.

Modern CS teaches that "bit diddling" is a low level hardware concept that has nothing to do with math.

How did this loss of knowledge happen?
>>
>>55562340
>bitwise operations.
okay they are cool and important

they are also incredibly easy, just takes practice, it's not the be all end all or however that saying went
>>
Switch floats to unum, it's the projective line with numbers representable to an arbitrary degree of accuracy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unum_(number_format)
>>
File: 1467553194014.png (202 KB, 788x1024) Image search: [Google]
1467553194014.png
202 KB, 788x1024
>>
>>55562234
Wow compared to this, my degree program looks like Fisher Price.
>>
>>55564089
Post it
>>
>>55564121
I'm doing this with a math minor:
http://www.uottawa.ca/academic/info/regist/calendars/programs/1366.html
>>
>>55562340
This proposal is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

I think, start with C, make undergrads learn about malloc and pointers. Don't start with some highly stylized fiction about computers.
>>
>>55564089
Edgy/10
>>
>>55562234
>people who want to make video games >>>/out/
>people who are only there because they don't know the difference between SE and CS >>>/out/
>people who don't know CS is a field of applied mathematics >>>/out/
>people who think computation theory is a waste of time >>>/out/
>people who think computational complexity analysis is useless in the real-world >>>/out/

There I fixed it.

I'd there anything I missed?
>>
>>55564239
weebs
>>
>>55564195
How? I was being serious.
>>
>>55564239
This is a good start and described at least 60% of UCLA CS majors during my time there
>>
>>55564317
I know you are being serious — I am being serious when I say CS would be better if these people >>55564239 were removed.
>>
>>55564239
Why stop there?

>people who can't finish a problem set or assignment by themselves >>>/out/
>people who just want a job >>>/out/
>people who spend over a thousand dollars on a laptop >>>/out/
>people who get their news from facebook >>>/out/
>people who are prematurely balding >>>/out/
>people who can't drink milk >>>/out/
>pokemon go players >>>/out/
>single mothers >>>/out/
>>
>>55564441
normie kys
>>
>>55562234
As a self-taught software engineer working for 20 years I would like to know... why is almost everyone who gets a degree in computer science totally incapable of building even the simplest practical application?
>>
>>55564161
Is this not standard? I wasn't even allowed to move past C until my 3rd year and even then it was only Java, definitely no high level bullshit.
Hell I didn't even take a programming class before going through 3 levels of calculus, physics, electronics, automatic control and linear algebra.
And here I thought american education was GOAT
>>
>>55567629
Because computer science is not about building applications. It would be like hiring a mathematician to be your account: sure they are good with numbers but that doesn't mean they will be a good accountant without further training.
>>
>>55562234

>Fall 1
Calculus I
Intro to Proofs and Abstract Mathematics
Physics I
Chem I or Bio I
Intro to Programming in C++
Technical Writing

>Spring 1
Calculus II
Matrix Algebra
Physics II
Chem II or Bio II
Digital Logic and Automata
Data Structures

>Fall 2
Vector Calculus
Physics III
Electrical Engineering Fundamentals
Computer Architecture
Algorithm I
Combinatorics and Graph Theory I

>Spring 2
ODEs and Dynamical Systems
Probability Theory (Mathematics department)
Mathematical Logic (Mathematics department)
Parallel, Distributed, and GPU Programming
Operating Systems
Numerical Analysis I (Mathematics department)

>Fall 3
Abstract Algebra I
Real Analysis I
Mathematical Statistics
Algorithm II (or Graduate)
Programming Languages and Compilers I
[CS Elective]

>Spring 3
Abstract Algebra II
Real Analysis II
Combinatorics and Graph Theory II (or Graduate)
Numerical Analysis II (Mathematics department)
Computability and Complexity Theory
Compilers II and/or Type Theory

>Fall 4
Complex Analysis, Topology, or PDEs
Computer Graphics/Vision and/or Image Processing
Linear and/or Convex Optimization
Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
Internet, Networks and Communication Systems
[Elective]
Professionalism, Ethics, and Conduct (Seminar)

>Spring 4
Control Theory and/or Robotics
Computer Security and Cryptography
Quantum Computing or CS Graduate Elective
Software Engineering Essentials or Elective
Macro and Micro Economics
[Elective]
Personal Grooming and Hygiene (Seminar)

>you should be able to do this
>>
>>55562340
Boolean logic is one discipline of math. It was named after the mathematician George Boole who worked on algebraic logic.
>>
>>55564161
>>55567748
Daily reminder that CS is not a degree in programming. You should be neutral about the language you use to implement CS ideas.
>>
>>55567629
You shouldn't expect a CS grad to write computer software because CS is not a course in programming. You should expect CS grads to be able to reason through the logic of any given information problem.
>>
>>55568933
where?
>>
>>55564239
>CS is a field of applied mathematics
But this is wrong. CS is similar but orthogonal to math. Math is about "what", CS is about "how".
>>
>>55569170
Theoretical CS is the application of mathematical theory to information problems. You can actually prove solutions to information problems with a formal proof. There is only one discipline where proofs occur and that's mathematics. Applied CS will take all these theoretical ideas to form real world information systems.
>>
>>55569170
dumbass detected
>>
>>55568933
>Intro to Programming in C++
stopped reading
>>
>>55564239
This, so much this.
>>
>>55568962
For the love of Christ, this.

But good luck getting an entry level job without completing any projects as a programmer. Implement ideas you learn in school outside of school, but don't be that autistic kid that interjected to his professor about why python was a bad langauge to learn
>>
>>55568933
>biology 1
Dropped
>>
>>55562340
Bits are so 1990s. Graphics is where CS is at these days.
>>
>>55564483
Okay. I spent 200 on my current laptop, but was looking to buy a better one with a budget of 2000 dollars. Recommend me something under 1000 that has the color accuracy, build quality, comfort, lightweight construction, power, and storage of, for instance, the Razer Blade.

I'm seriously curious. Even if it requires installing the hardware myself, but the screen has to be color accurate, and the battery life has to be decent.

Literally this fucking laptop has to be both premium and under 1000 dollars. I don't think you can find one.
>>
>>55573793
Forgot, Backlit keyboard too, as I code in the dark.

And refurbished doesn't count, or on sale.
>>
>>55573862
backlit keyboard in the dark is totally useless if you're able to touchtype. Which you should be.
Source: I code in the dark too. Got a backlit keyboard, but never even used it. Would like to try someday one of those fancy lights on the screen's top like the ones on the old thinkpads.
>>
>>55573924
Please. I can touch type too. I still make mistakes from misplacing my hands in the dark, and I dislike having to feel around for the bumps.

But it is a good point, the keyboard quality in general is more important.
>>
File: electives.png (73 KB, 707x757) Image search: [Google]
electives.png
73 KB, 707x757
So many interesting electives to choose from, pic related... Would it make any sense if I combined the groups of courses over embedded systems with those on machine learning, or should I pick one and then choose more classes strengthen my knowledge in just one of those areas?

>>55567629
>>55568974
>>55568260
The two anons who replied to you are completely wrong. 99% of CS programs are really just Software Engineering calling itself CS. 99% of students going into CS programs want to become Software Engineers.

It's true that Software Engineering and Computer Science are not the same thing, but the reality is that it's the latest meme degree and so many students are enrolling that most of them are trash at both Software Engineering and CS.
>>
File: 1467338474560.jpg (13 KB, 480x538) Image search: [Google]
1467338474560.jpg
13 KB, 480x538
>>55568933
>Personal Grooming and Hygiene (Seminar)

i keked
>>
>>55573793
>Buying a gaming laptop
>Ever

That neon green snake logo is the physical embodiment of cringe.
>>
>>55562234
REMOVE PAJEETS
>>
>>55568933

Physics up to level 3. And bio/chem to 2.

You wot m8?
>>
>>55574848

Imagine all the jobs wed get if pajeets were bombed
>>
>>55575062
I'm not the one you're replying to, but many schools (like mine) have CS within the College of Engineering. It's a universal requirement to have 2 semesters of physics and 2 of chemistry regardless of major, as well as a shared math requirement.
>>
>>55575062
No point leaving things half done.

Also CS majors have a disturbing lack of problem solving skills and could use all the practice they can get.
>>
>>55562234
ill fix it for you:

one major for webshit

one major for boxjockeys(IT support)

if you want to major in "software dev"or "hurrdurr programming"you have to be a math major and justify it to their department. everything will be webshit in a few more months anyways.
>>
>>55562234
My degree had more theory than the one proposed here but it's a good recommendation as a base. Too much muh programming though, especially, not enough or's.
>>
>>55564089
All CS degrees look like Fisher Price degrees
>>
File: CEdegree.jpg (148 KB, 1067x604) Image search: [Google]
CEdegree.jpg
148 KB, 1067x604
>>55562234
>>
>>55578585
That's just a shitty SE, not a CE.
>>
>>55564483
>people who can't drink milk

What is your problem with lactose intolerant people?

>people who are prematurely balding

What is your problem with bald people?

>single mothers

Maybe ok, but probably applies for any degree that requires full dedication.
>>
>>55578624
My point exactly, I want CE, and if not possible, I might settle up for CS, but I DESPISE SE, nevertheless this is the only thing that my country offers.

That or EE of course, which is closer but still, not the same than CE.
>>
>>55573793
I think the point is it shouldn't be necessary.
Are you a gamer? >>>/out/
Are you a graphics designer? >>>/out/
Are you a developer? Then you shouldn't need a 2000 dollars laptop or PC unless you're literally running some big data database, or maintaining a huge network or running an extremely popular website. All of these aren't meant for personal computers though but for business environments.
>>
>>55578661
>What is your problem with lactose intolerant people?
bad genes

>What is your problem with bald people?
low test
>>
>>55578909
Low test? What does that even mean?

I'm not even into CS, my thing is CE, but I think this is ridiculous.

I am balding actually, 23 yo.
>>
My unis cs programme (not in the US)
1. Semester :
>calculus
>discrete mathematics
>electrical engineering 101
>algorithms and data structures
>programming 101 (java)

2. Semester
>programming 2 (c, Lisp, python, prolog)
>algorithms and data structures 2
>digital logic and computer architecture
>programming lab (java)
>linear algebra

3. Semester
>database systems
>communication systems
>logic
>automata and formal languages
>software engineering
>probability

4. Semester
>software engineering project (language generally free of choice, but has to be chosen appropriately for the project)
>computation theory
>electives
>electives
6. Semester
>electives
>seminar for field of choice
>bachelor thesis and seminar
>some kind of extra class that's supposed to prepare you for the real world, e.g public speaking, project management, etc

There's rules for the electives, like you need to have a certain amount of classes about theoretical computer science, practical computer science, applied computer science, and computer engineering. And you can take more math classes as well but many don't.
>>
>>55578991
>>programming 101 (java)
Stopped reading
>>
>>55564137
>uottawa
We got a live one here boys.
>>
>>55578585
That's the most retarded schedule I've ever seen.
>>
>>55564137
uottawa is terrible. Go for utoronto or uwaterloo at least.
>>
>>55578909
>>55578928

he's saying he has low testosterone and is threatened by high test balding folks.
>>
>>55578991
holy fuck I did more for my AS
>>
>>55578700
Your country doesn't have electronics engineering? That'd be the closest to computer engineering. I consider computer engineering to be a discipline of the electronics discipline.
>>
>>55562234
Segregate CS from SE.
That's it.
>>
really and seriously
start by teaching FORTH to forth graders
all other problems will just sort of work themselves out from there
>>
>>55568962
You should learn about how electrical engineers model the behavior of computers, and a language like C will start you down that road better than most. One should certainly not be language-agnostic about CS, because programming languages---NOT mathematics---are the basis of the discipline.
When I took language theory in graduate school, which is the real study of mathematizing CS, the main thing I learned is that CS cannot be mathematized because unbounded recursion/general looping lacks a mathematical formulation. That kind of study of languages collapses down to, well, you can do heavy metaprogramming on static data (including ASTs), which is also not math/logic. So given that programming languages are the baseline notation of actual CS, it should matter what language you use, for exactly the same reason that we start children out on Arabic rather than Roman numerals.
>>
>>55579637
>because programming languages---NOT mathematics---are the basis of the discipline.
Programming languages have nothing to do with CS or programming. That's a meme started by SICP and other meme books.
>>
>>55579667
I bet you also think math has nothing to do with numbers. Though I prefer this quote from philosopher Sidney Morgenbesser to BF Skinner:
>Let me see if I understand your thesis. You think we shouldn't anthropomorphize people?
>>
>>55578909
>low test
you are retarded, cutting your balls off will literally stop hairloss
>>
>>55578991
>only one semester of calc
>only one semester of prob
>no compilers
>no programing language theory
>no operating systems
>no numerical analysis
>no AI
>Java

fail/fail
>>
File: Hero vs JUST.jpg (77 KB, 640x411) Image search: [Google]
Hero vs JUST.jpg
77 KB, 640x411
>>55579361
>>55579751
>looking less like a man means I'm higher test
Sure thing buddy.
>>
>>55579855
>a man should have girly long hairs
Yeah whatever, now bend over and let me fuck your boypussy
>>
File: Untitled.png (1 MB, 893x616) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1 MB, 893x616
>>55579920
Me on the left, you on the right.
>>
>>55579734
Numbers are a part of math.

Programming languages have nothing to do with CS. They're just "apps" that translate symbols into other symbols.

Mathematics is good enough for physics and it can describe every CS concept known. Concepts like arrays, trees, pointers, functions, and sets don't need any programming language. Hardware isn't a language and all of those things can be implemented in hardware and described by math.
>>
>>55579855
so low test just means /fa/?
got it
>>
>>55568933
>Professionalism, Ethics, and Conduct (Seminar)
>Personal Grooming and Hygiene (Seminar)
>>
>>55579961
>cuckboy is so acared of mans who actually look like mans
Let me guys, you also have a ponytail or 30cm long greasy hair?
>>
>>55568933
>it's another "/sci/entist jerks off to a curriculum he thought of while still in undergrad" post
>>
>>55579979
The most important courses of their college career
>>
>>55579964
Math can't describe every CS concept, in fact it can't describe the most important concept, which is general looping. This is why math has not supplanted programming and, really, why programming is more important than math to the modern world. (There's another issue, which is that continuous modeling is untenable for anything more complicated than a ball fired from a canon, and discrete modeling is too tedious to do by hand. Though in a sense that's the same issue.) For their part, programming languages are a control system for hardware; "symbols" are an abstraction we use to describe programming languages.
>>
>>55574569
>embedded systems with those on machine learning
Why do people always tend to think those two are related? Concentrate on one of them. But really, any EE will be doing your job with embedded 100x better than you, and I personally don't know how it is with ML, but other than those who stayed at the uni I don't think any graduates from the ML class are doing anything related in their jobs.
>>
>>55580040
I take care of my hair. Pic related, my hairstyle on Keanu.
>>
>>55574660
I keked too, but honestly, that's a good idea
>>
>>55575073
>implying those jobs would even exist if there was no cheap workforce
>>
>>55579327
s/o to my utoronto st.george faggots
>>
>>55580094
>my hairstyle
>literally fagboy hairstyle
Just what i expected, its really like poetry
>>
>>55578909
>implies natural selection works with humans
>>
>>55580054
>Math can't explain loops

You heard it here first, folks.
>>
>>55578791
and even if he was doing any of those things in your last point, why not just buy remote servers to host your shit

>>55573793
kids on chromebooks and tablets probably code better than you
>>
>>55580186
Come back when you've taken a language theory course. Or at least give that street a good pressure-washing.
>>
>>55580175
oops, meant artificial selection
>>
>>55574660
>>55580050
aka "fundamentals of teamwork"
>>
>>55562234
>>55578991

Electronics Engineering here, take a look at this shit:

1st semester:
>Maths I (differential calculus)
>Intro to Engineering
>Intro to Physics
>Chemistry
>extra shit

2nd semester:
>Maths II (integral calculus)
>Physics I
>Programming (Python, there is C as an elective too)
>some extra worthless shit

3rd semester:
>Maths III (multivariable calculus)
>Physics II
>Network Analysis I
>more extra shit

4th semester:
>Physics III
>Linear System Analysis
>Network Analysis II
>Electronics I
>Electronics Lab I

5th semester:
>Maths IV
>Electronics II
>Electronics Lab II
>Digital Systems
>Digital Systems Lab

6th semester:
>Automatic Control I
>Automatic Control Lab
>Computer Structures
>Computer Structures Lab
>Electromechanical Systems

7th semester:
>Electromagnetism
>Probability
>Telecommunications Systems
>Telecommunications Lab
>Elective

8th semester:
>Physics IV
>Management
>Electives

9th semester:
>Numerical Analysis
>Economy
>Electives

10-11th semester:
>Electives

12th semester:
>Thesis and shit

Just kill me already
>>
>>55580403
Is it normal to have only 3-5 courses per semester where you live(US?)?
>>
>>55579637
Programming is not the basis of computer science. Computers are not the basis of computer science. The basis of computer science is the mathematical foundations of information with information processing. You do not ever need to touch a computer to study computer science, you do not ever need to write computer programs with a computer programming language to study computer science. All that's needed is pseudocode.
>>
>>55580054
Statistics isn't maths but it's very much a CS concept.
>>
>>55579637
>You should learn about how electrical engineers model the behavior of computers, and a language like C will start you down that road better than most.
C was considered a bad design even in the 1970s. It was designed by noobs and had to fit in the small memory of the PDP-11.

If you want to teach systems programming, I would pick a simple assembly language and Ada or PL/I.
>>
>>55574569
>I did a trash CS course that was basically SE and so all CS degrees must be trash
There is nothing wrong with doing SE degree programs, but a CS degree that is basically SE is a shit CS degree. Just because you did a shit one doesn't mean all CS degrees are meme degrees.
>>
>>55580578
>C was considered a bad design even in the 1970s
>I'm going to rewrite history with shit I pulled out of my ass
>>
>>55580084
>engineer pleb detected
>>
>>55580578
>the most influential and ubiquitous programming language of all time
>some obscure shit

Your opinion belongs in the trash.
>>
File: 1441515831468.jpg (63 KB, 400x606) Image search: [Google]
1441515831468.jpg
63 KB, 400x606
>>55564239
>CS is a field of applied mathematics
>semigroup theory is applied mathematics
Freshmen >>>/out/
>>
>>55580601
C was always considered a badly designed language.
>>I'm going to rewrite history with shit I pulled out of my ass
You just did. 20 years from now, people might be saying PHP and JavaScript were good designs at the time because people in the 90s didn't know any better.

Because of C and Unix, they think systems designers in the 1970s were idiots.

>>55580664
Nobody outside of Bell Labs even heard of C before the mid 1980s.
>>
File: 1452840637948.gif (3 MB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
1452840637948.gif
3 MB, 400x240
>>55580403
>he complains about a program with piss-easy courses and one (ONE) entire semester of free electives
>he complains about not having to take abstract algebra, topology and any form of quantum/classical mechanics a la Hamilton
>>
>>55580681
CS is definitely a field of applied mathematics. What is your point?
>>
File: 1448618091048.jpg (27 KB, 263x217) Image search: [Google]
1448618091048.jpg
27 KB, 263x217
>>55580747
>CS is definitely a field of applied mathematics
>>
>>55580591
Those kinds of degrees are more applied CS rather than the more theoretical CS.
>>
>>55580758
>>55564309
>>55564239
Weeaboos >>>/out/
>>
>>55580758
So your point is that you agree. That's good.
>>
>>55580747
>plumbing is definitely a field of applied physics.
>>
>>55580788
>illiterate
>blind
>>
File: Kekammemnon.gif (2 MB, 400x206) Image search: [Google]
Kekammemnon.gif
2 MB, 400x206
>>55580778
>wants to rename SE applied CS and call CS Theoretical CS
>>
>>55580801
>>55580797
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>55580469
Not that fellow, but I think 15 credit hours per semester is the norm (120 credit hours total after 4 years). Given labs come with some courses, 3-5 courses a semester sounds correct, though 4-5 is more likely.

What country are you from? How many courses a semester are you taking there?
>>
>>55580797
>comparing CS to plumbing
Whatever pajeet.
>>
File: 1439218704602.png (199 KB, 645x357) Image search: [Google]
1439218704602.png
199 KB, 645x357
>>55580815
>Who are you quoting?
>>
>>55580831
That's right.
>>
File: 1452861416601.jpg (11 KB, 212x238) Image search: [Google]
1452861416601.jpg
11 KB, 212x238
>>55580841
>That's right.
>>
>>55580850
Yes?
>>
>>55580817
Poland. I had at least 8 different courses at the easiest semester (except for the ones with the thesis), usually around ten, happened to be more. Don't know how it translates to hours, but there were days when I was from 8 to 20 at uni.
Amazing how little sleep you need when you're in your early 20s...
>>
>>55580915
8 to 20 doing both lectures and assignments outside of class or just lectures/labs?
If the latter, that's crazy.
Why do you takes so many courses in a single semester?
>>
>>55580946
Just lectures and labs, but I'm not saying everyday was like that (but at least one or two a week). Almost all of them were mandatory. Plus I picked a fucked up specialization that had twice as much work as others.
For some reason we had more than other departments. E.g. my girlfriend studied math, and I could tutor her up to her fifth or sixth semester because I had that material (and generally lots of math further on is just formalism, so you just have to figure it out, plus lets say It's my hobby).
People who had to work didn't usually graduate without repeating a year.
>>
>>55581103
What degree were you pursuing?
>>
>>55581127
Technically, it translates to CS, but it's an engineering degree and the curriculum was as if you've merged CS and CE. I think I even have something like "computer science and engineering" written in English on my diploma.
>>
okay so I dropped out
im doing web development
high level ruby shit
what should I learn /g/
Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.