[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just recently got all the parts for my build and put everything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: Photo on 7-13-16 at 2.52 PM.jpg (227 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 7-13-16 at 2.52 PM.jpg
227 KB, 640x426
I just recently got all the parts for my build and put everything together and it wouldn't boot.

After a bit of troubleshooting I found it booted just fine after I removed the 390 card I got for it.

I'm wondering what went wrong with the card. There are two red flags that came up in the process; it didn't click when I put it into the PCIE slot as far as I could, until I screwed it into the case it would wobble back and forth, and basically installing it with my motherboard already fastened to the case required me to put it in tilted a bit until it seemed to go all the way into the slot. Being aware that these may have been problems I was surprised to see that when I started my build the top graphic would light up and the fan went on so it seemed like it was connected.

I basically concluded that it was probably that this pin in the pic seemed to have been chipped off a bit, but I also figured it may have just been like that and I was just not installing it correctly. Kinda looking for some closure here before I decide to buy a new one, any thoughts?
>>
>>55559003
That is completely normal you flannel wearing faggot.
>>
Clear CMOS. Worked for my 390
>>
>>55559003
>recently got a 390, didn't wait for a 480
>something under his shirt

why did you even fucking start the computer after you knew you fucked something up and you didn't try to remove it and put it in another slot?

Also my GTX480 has a chipped off "pin" and it works perfectly fine so don't worry about this.
I'd look at the mobo if everything's fine. Could we have pictures of it?
>>
>>55559088
this
>>55559131
and this
>>
>>55559131
>>55559179
is it worth trying if it doesn't even click in? That seems to be a clear sign that it's not gonna work
>>
>>55559221
show us the damn mobo and the damn case and how you put the fucking card in
>>
>>55559003
>until I screwed it into the case it would wobble back and forth
>Big thing with lots of leverage wobbles when it's not fastened at more than one point
Well you're a clever one, aren't you?

Is this your first build?
>>
>>55559003
>http://www.wikihow.com/Install-a-PCI-Card
>Do not touch the contacts along the bottom, and try to avoid touching any of the circuitry.
Your and idiot kill you'reself.
>>
>>55559294
>stay grounded
how likely is it that I fucked it up by not doing this?
btw /v/ said it was probably because it didn't click.
>>
File: 4L_81SHidqt.jpg (75 KB, 500x625) Image search: [Google]
4L_81SHidqt.jpg
75 KB, 500x625
>>55560180
>/v/ said
>>
>>55560180
0%

grounded is a fucking /g/ meme for retards. You can not fry anything by just existing
>>
>>55560180
Dude, the click is just the little plastic tab that locks the card into place. Typically if you don't hear it, it means the card was not inserted completely. But some boards don't make any sound. Post a picture of your pcie slots.
>>
>>55560774
>>55559246
It's an Asus Z170 A
I'm not sure what you would be able to tell me from just looking at the mobo
>>
>>55561022
have you actually pushed the retention clic stuff at the end of the pcie slot before putting the GPU in?
>>
>>55561055
What's that?
>>
File: asus_z170-a_1.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1558) Image search: [Google]
asus_z170-a_1.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1558
>>55561074
the flipper thing at the end of the pcie slot
>>
>>55561181
Yeah I tried everything m8 it just won't work

The one other thing that might be the reason is when I originally got all my parts I put them together and I put in the CPU wrong so it was powercycling. I eventually got a replacement mobo cuz the other one had bent pins. Maybe that like, shorted or broke the GPU? idk what else it could be
>>
>>55561415
how can you put a CPU wrong?
And yes, a defective mobo can take parts with itself.
>>
>>55561608
There was a part that came with the mobo that I was supposed to click the cpu into to keep it from bending pins.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.