[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A friend of mine is buying a new prebuilt desktop that's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 4L_tKzRyqlz.jpg (2 MB, 3008x1960) Image search: [Google]
4L_tKzRyqlz.jpg
2 MB, 3008x1960
A friend of mine is buying a new prebuilt desktop that's on sale for Prime Day (he's a tech illiterate and I don't want to build one for him) and I'm thinking about getting him to buy an SSD for it too to replace the HDD. What would be the easiest way to install the OS? Could I just use a drive clone program to copy over the entire OEM drive and, keeping the licensed Windows install and all the manufacturer apps? Or would that cause problems?
>>
>I don't wanna build one for him
Why not? Literally takes 30-45 minutes at most and you would be saving him money as well as giving him a better computer.
>>
>>55546645
That wouldn't work for a number of reasons. One of the big ones being none of the drivers would be compatible.

Just pull the OEM key and do a fresh install.
>>
>>55546645
>won't help him build a computer
>yet will be a tremendous faggot helping install an os in a stupid, convoluted way.
fuck off.
>>
>>55546671
>>55546691
>something shits itself 6 months down the road
>it's my fault because I built the thing, so I have to fix it myself
This has happened to me before and I don't want to deal with it. Plus it's actually a pretty good deal, $390 for an i5 and 8gb ram
>>
>>55546765
No confidence in your build skills eh? That's alright. Have your friend buy another assembly line pile of garbage and have it die in half that time. That's what friends do.
>>
>>55546765
then let him buy what the fuck he wants and stop being a huge autist
>>
>>55546645
BRRRRRRTTTT!!!!!!!
>>
>>55546798
>>55546802
pls no bully

>>55546683
Alright thanks. I just won't bother with the SSD then.
>>
>>55546798
So you're saying that if you assemble a computer perfectly, there is 0 chance that the hardware will fail? Having amazing building skills will ensure that no parts will freak out? lul
>>
>>55547029
unless you live in some poo in loo filth encrusted place, then yes, that is exactly what he means.
>>
I think OP is saying that he doesn't want to take the blame for every single computer problem his friend gets in the future. You know, like the game your mum said gave the computer viruses when in reality she installed 35 Google Toolbars
>>
>>55547137
I built a computer for my younger brother last year. TWO TIMES the CPU completely fried itself because the cheap fucking case I used had defective front USB ports that short circuited every once in a while when something was plugged in. Luckily Amazon has a great return policy, but it was a nightmare figuring out was wrong
>>
pirate win7 and activate with daz loader then upgrade to win 10
>>
>>55546645
You can just clean install if it's an OEM prebuilt. All the info is in the BIOS. Works just like if you were clean installing on a laptop. It just werks.
>>
>>55546645
Brrrrrrrrt
>>
" (he's a tech illiterate and I don't want to build one for him)" why are you even bothering then,if hes not smart enough to custom build and you don't feel like teaching him dont baby him with upgrading it dumbass,way to undermine own your point
>>
>>55546645
>a friend of mine
>he's tech illiterate
>should I clone an OS from a HDD to a SSD
If you don't know anything about computers you can just come right out and say it. Cloning is stupid and bad for this situation. Just boot the computer and write down the serial key and reuse it when you reinstall windows.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.