[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I write a program where you input two or more cooking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: habanero.jpg (41 KB, 1355x900) Image search: [Google]
habanero.jpg
41 KB, 1355x900
How do I write a program where you input two or more cooking ingredients and the program tells you if they go together or not?
>>
>>55526058
Query a database containing pairs of ingredients using an inputted list.

Shouldn't bee too difficult.
>>
>>55526089
How do you generate all the pairs?
>>
I usually ask a chef these questions.
>>
>>55526089
I think we need an algorithm. That database would be too enormous.
>>
I can't remember what it was but there's this website where you can put in some ingredients and it will return recipes with those ingredients
>>
>>55526399
That's a whole other problem and a much easier one. You draw from a pool of recipes and find those that match ingredients.
>>
>>55526058
Well, OP, first ask the question - how would *you* figure that out?
>>
>>55526127
No it wouldn't. Not if you normalize your tables and use proper data types, anyway.
>>
>>55526100
Write a program and feed it every recipe you can find, having it see what ingredients are commonly found together. In what proportions, and applicable flavor profiles.
>>
>>55526100
Well what the fuck do you mean by "go together"? AFAIK food is weird, you'd have to have a human analyze each pair and tell you. I don't think there's a math/algo way to determine if two foods "go together" or not, unless you're analyzing a cookbook or searching twitter posts for "make x with y today!" or something.
>>
>>>/ck/
>>
Nag IBM for an API.
https://www.ibmchefwatson.com
>>
>>55526058
As a avid chef, fuck you and die. Cooking will never, ever be automated, and we will neve reach a point where a computer can create dishes half as good as a trained chef. There's too many contradictory rules and undiscovered flavor combinations to ever use algorithms. I mean just 15 years ago, the Japanese discovered a new taste group (umami) in addition to sweet, salty, bitter, sour, and acidic. Chef's are continually traveling uncharted territory to come up with unexpected flavors and something fresh and new.

It'd be like an algorithm to make artwork. Kill yourself so fucking hard pham.
>>
Again, die
>>
>>55527355
Deep dream cooking. Expect it.
>>
>>55526058
This is known as a "flavor affinity" in the culinary world. There are books that have already done this sort of thing (see "the flavor Bible").

You might be able to make an algorithm that can pair ingredients based on the umami, salt, sweet, sour, and acidity levels of the ingredients. Possibly create a neural network or some form of deep learning bot.
>>
>>55527233
Well what if you split food into general categories, find which categories go well together and take it from there?
>>
>>55527355
Ehh, what's with the hostility. I'm not trying to replace chefs, I'm trying to make a personal app where I can input stuff in and somehow figure out if there's an algorithm that tells you which ingredients go together. I'd expand it later to include ratios. Basically I would make a program that would try to create recipes procedurally.
>>
>>55527355
check out this guy being scared of becoming obsolete haha
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.