[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>website has a request to turn off adblocker under their blocked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 1427694011017.gif (73 KB, 600x563) Image search: [Google]
1427694011017.gif
73 KB, 600x563
>website has a request to turn off adblocker under their blocked adds
>block them
Feels frog man
>>
>>55515688
You're a fucking filthy NEET leech.
>>
>>55515807
So you say, and when I first started seeing these reminders/requests I did give good courtesy to whitelist the website, but now they're everywhere and if I indulged every one there'd frankly be no point in my using an adblocker.

The meta has shifted
>>
>>55516275

reek
>>
How do you block the anti ad-blockers?
>>
>>55517028

run reek twice
>>
>>55515688
I'm hoping ad blockers just give up to anti-adblocking measures such as blockadblock.com.
Then I can just write my own adblocker, keep it private or distribute it to friends and family, and not have to worry about an ad/adblocking arms race that makes the internet slower and worse in general.
And the normies will pollute their minds with the corporate messages to pay for my content.
>>
>>55515688
>site completely blocks your viewing if you have adblocker
>dropped from my browsing list

looking at you forbes. looks like enough people did exactly that. now they allow adblocking browsers through again. as a content distributor, less page views is bad. what amazing insight amirite.
>>
>>55517378
Just visited Forbes to confirm this. I knew they would wise up one day.
>>
File: It Never Gets Any Better.gif (1009 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
It Never Gets Any Better.gif
1009 KB, 500x280
>>55515807
If ads were still unobtrusive banner ads, like on 4chan I wouldn't mind not blocking them. However, good luck trying to keep your severs running - you'd be hard pressed to find advertisers willing to pay the same amount for an entire screen ad as a lone non-animated banner ad.

Advertising is already ingrained into everything: media outlets promoting products, and corporations regardless of their reputability, advertisements that pretend to be related media articles, advertisements which have their own javascript and/or flash, etc.

Advertising is terrible online, but, at least, it's nowhere near the shilling of on television, yet. However, blocking ads has the adverse affect that the host has to run more ads for the ever decreasing population which doesn't block ads.

That's not mentioning the fact that ads are probably the #1 way most viruses are propagated, and with that being mentioned I won't take any chances with letting websites run ads, aside from the few exceptions I actually care about.

I know YouTube has been experimenting with making ads unskippable, by having ads run directly in the player, rather than how they load ads currently. I can't imagine that Google isn't already trying to make sure that AdSense is unblockable, as well - probably by having a piece of javascript injecting some html into a page. In reality, I don't see why companies like Google haven't bought out the developers of ad blockers, aside from the backlash that it would garner initially.

TL;DR It'll only get worse as more people block ads; Eventually, there will be ways for websites to circumvent ad blockers, but, the number and type of ads they run won't change.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.