[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does everyone talk about the Tesla crash as "autonomous
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
Why does everyone talk about the Tesla crash as "autonomous driving"? Their stuff is just lane assist + active cruise control, only that it doesn't turn off if you let go of the wheel (it just displays a nag screen instead). No one ever said that you can or should trust this thing. Is it also autonomous driving if I put a brick on the gas pedal?
>>
Because Tesla is dumb enough to name the system "Autopilot", which is clearly not.
>>
>>55505639
Dumb, or marketing geniuses?
>>
>>55505639
Autopilot beta.

Its explicitly said again and again, the current autopilot is not fully autonomous.

Autopilot is only around Level 2.5. Level 3 is what autopilot hopes to be in the best case scenario.

However the "true" autonomous driving requires level 4.
>>
>>55505699
Still, it's nowhere near an autopilot.

>>55505682
Marketing geniuses until an ameritard try to watch harry potter while driving and kill himself. Then it's a shitstorm of damage control.
With the retarded way the US handle their laws I'm pretty sure Tesla will be sued just because they used the word "autopilot" which is confusing.

Tesla was on national news because of this incident and it'll probably impact autonomous vehicle future. Even if the investigation conclude that Tesla have nothing to do with the accident it's too late.

Remember Audi in the 80s ?
http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Sudden_unintended_acceleration#/Audi_5000
>>
>>55505699
So they need to take their software to the next level then?
>>
>>55505780
>The plaintiffs in this lawsuit charge that on account of the sudden acceleration controversy, Audis had lost resale value
>Ameritards confuse brake and gas, sue Audi and blame it on them
>Ameritards then sue Audi for losing resale value due to earlier lawsuits
lel, thanks for this gem.

Well, the name auto-pilot sure is bold for something that is neither autonomous nor a pilot. I just can't fathom why even tech sites are falling for this instead of calling out the misnomer.
>>
The autopilot didn't misfunction, as it was designed to have a person overlook it.
>>
Maybe because they called it autopilot
>>
>>55505699
>Autopilot beta

You may get away with that shit in the software world, that doesn't work in the real world where your products have real implications.

If you want to claim that one of the features or uses of your car is "not reliable" then that is a lawsuit you're going to receive. I don't care if it it has a big visual and audio warning every time you press that button to inform you not to use it unless you are in control of the car, it is still your fault for being put in the car and the results of its consequences are in your hands because it is your product.
>>
>>55505623

The shits kinda scary

My dad has a 2016 xc90 and it has lane keeping assist and adaptive cruise.

I borrowed it for a weekend and nearly fucking shit my pants when I accidentally turned it on. Never again. Having the wheel start moving on its own is terrifying
>>
>>55505623
The average consumer is dumb, especially in the US.
>Line assist
>US consumer are watching movies as they trust their lives into software they didn't read the usage conditions.

>Ikea says you have to fix the shelve to the wall
>US consumer ignores the warning letting their babbies die.

Just read the doc and work in BtoB while the fat ladies are making class actions to legally forbid the use of gym balls as office seat.
>>
>>55505982
>American logic right there
Or, you know, you could just use your brain and be a responsible adult yourself.

>>55505984
I never undestood lane keeping assist. Is it that fucking hard to keep your car in the lane? It is way harder to supervise a system that can fail at any moment than to just do it yourself.
>>
>>55506324
>I never undestood lane keeping assist. Is it that fucking hard to keep your car in the lane? It is way harder to supervise a system that can fail at any moment than to just do it yourself.

That. Plus it's proven that driving assistance is bad because the driver feels less concerned about the road. So you gain 0.5% safety but since you stop looking at the road, as soon as something goes bad you're fucked.
>>
>>55506742
>So you gain 0.5% safety but since you stop looking at the road, as soon as something goes bad you're fucked
Yeah, but only if you're that stupid.

The Tesla death was a trailer crossing a highway, and the driver made NO ATTEMPT WHATSOEVER to slow down. He looked at a clear obstruction, and didn't apply the brakes, fuck him, he can rot in the ground.

I think driving assistance is great. People who take no active steps to prevent their own deaths deserve everything which happens.
>>
>>55506825
>Yeah, but only if you're that stupid.

Now, everybody feels safer when you tell them "the car will avoid most danger and brakes when needed". Stupid or not, everybody will be less concerned about the road in front of them.

What's the point of having semi-autonomous vehicle if you need to be as alert (or even more alert than before) ?
>>
>>55505623
i still reserved a model 3.
fuck the haters.
>>
>>55507028
>What's the point of having semi-autonomous vehicle if you need to be as alert (or even more alert than before) ?
Exactly. If you use these systems as intended, they are not useful at all, so the only way they would increase comfort is to abuse them. That's the same for all manufacturers, Tesla or not.
>>
>>55507028
tesla keeps saying that these features are beta, jesus fuck you guys are retarded.
>>
>>55506324
>companies aren't responsible for the products they release to the public

I can't hear you all the way from the 19th century where you are. Today we have things called consumer protection laws, I don't care how you feel that they may be cumbersome or unnecessary because muh social darwinism but they make life better for all of us.

You don't get to ignore the laws that exist for a reason because they claim to be a tech company.
>>
>>55505780
Possible factors: missed one.
broken motor mount. (engine torques over and the shift causes throttle opening.)
Happened to me in a ford pickup. I shut the key off after spaying gravel for 30 ft. (460 cid motor)
>>
>>55507632
>[burns himself on hot coffee]
>[falls out of his mobility scooter]
>FUCK YOU GUYS THERE IS NO WARNING LABEL
>WAIT TILL MY LAWYER HEARS ABOUT THIS
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.