[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/, I'm looking for a tablet device to take on the go just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
/g/, I'm looking for a tablet device to take on the go just to read my huge collection of .pdf and .epub files. Are there any /g/-tier tablets at a decent (sub-$150) price? I've looked into the Kindles but they seem somewhat lackluster for the price, and the lack of full color puts me off.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>55499702
I bought a paperwhite to bring all my pirated text books to class with me and I'm very happy with it. Maybe look into the Kobo or a non-eink device like the Zenpad S 8 inch? The zenpad has awesome specs for the price. High PPI too.
>>
>>55499727
Know of any cheaper alternatives to the Zenpad? I'm not a huge fan of android to be honest; I'd actually rather a proprietary OS.
>>
>>55499702
>$150
Add $50 and buy a tablet that can run windows 10 mane.
>>
>>55499727
>Zenpad S8
That is $199 on amazon
While
https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite-LX0W-C64-Detachable-Touchscreen/dp/B0106UNMQW
is $224, basically has the same processor as the zenpad, has twice the storage, runs windows, and comes with a keyboard.
The only difference is a slightly lower resolution
>>
>>55499911
Thanks anon.
>>
File: kindlemini.jpg (478 KB, 1158x648) Image search: [Google]
kindlemini.jpg
478 KB, 1158x648
>>55499702
I actually would like something like what you describe. I been actually considering an ipad mini because they're in that price range. Kinda wish the kindle white was about 8" size it would make it much more usable.
>>
Nexus 7 2013 my fren
>>
Buy cheap kindle fire, root, install iOS boom
>>
Kobo Glo HD.
Pros:
>best display for the price
>it's not bound to Shitazon.
>you can replace the internal microSD with a bigger one
Cons:
>software is a bit sluggish, but what can you expect from an e-reader
>no physical buttons
>>
>>55499872
>anything non e-ink

might as well just stab yourself in the eyes.

OP just get a whichever kindle or kobo you like in the price range you want.
>>
>>55503231
>e-ink
>pdf
nice meme
>>
Here's a hint:
If you want to read, give up on colour. Get e-ink, the battery life and readability is just so much greater. E-ink is like reading an actual book, seeing text on paper rather than a glowing box.

That said, tablets can do okay for reading but they have an order of magnitude less battery life and you should only get one if you read a lot of full-size pdfs.
If it's primarily text, get a e-ink reader like a kobo glo HD.
>>
>>55503238
E-ink is fine for PDFs if it's just text, and fairly small pages.
I've heard that the refresh rates of newer e-ink devices is high enough to make pdf reading of larger page sizes actually manageable.
I wouldn't know though since my kobo glo still works just fine. Great investment.
200 books I've completely legally purchased and in no way pirated has outweighed the investment many times over, and it keeps going.
>>
File: 1465844833807.png (181 KB, 440x540) Image search: [Google]
1465844833807.png
181 KB, 440x540
Been using a $70 Lenovo Tab 2
It's a bit basic compared to iPads and Galaxy Tabs but it does all I bought it for very well (Clover, watching movies, reading books), biggest disadvantage would be the really bad Wi-Fi, it's fast but the range is ass compared to my phone and it also takes ages to charge, but lasts LONG on a single charge
>>
>>55499702
Chuwi Hi8 with Moon+

That's all I use it for.
>>
PSP 3000 with CFW 6.60 C + PSPKVM +Albiet reader + Bookr.
>>
>>55499702
E-INK
|
I
N
K
>>
>>55499702
>read my huge collection of .pdf
If you're adamant on a e-reader choose the kind that has great text reflow functionality.
>>
>>55499702
Mi pad,mi pad 2,Google nexus 2013,kobo.kindle sucks.
>>
>decent (sub-$150) price
>decent
>sub-$150
Sorry m8 but you're only going to get trash at that price. Get an iPad mini.
>>
File: KindlePaperWhiteManga.jpg (468 KB, 1712x2288) Image search: [Google]
KindlePaperWhiteManga.jpg
468 KB, 1712x2288
>>55503238
Pretty much. I use my Kindle 3G keyboard a lot, and it's great for epub/mobi but PDF is fucking shit on it.

Maybe the newer kindle paperwhite 2 or whatever makes a difference with higher ppi and better processsor, but i somehow doubt it. they're simply not designed with pdf's in mind.

that said, for books (that aren't pdf) there is no tablet that comes even close to matching a kindle.
>>
>>55503290
you're just spouting weird brand loyalty fanboy bullshit for some reason. it's simply a statement of fucking fact that e-ink readers are terrible for pdf's.
>>
>>55503238
The last couple Kindle generations actually have good PDF support. It's why I finally bought one.
>>
>>55505722
>480x272
>>
This looks interesteding OP:

https://www.amazon.com/inkBOOK-Touchscreen-Display-reader-Android/dp/B01C48BYLY?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&linkId=8a5127946ab45c3f92dc3a2b0b82700e&ref_=as_li_ss_tl&tag=ter000-20
>>
>>55506503
>>55506509

>>55506515
>>
>>55506509
Do you happen to understand why, though?
It's bad for PDFS because:
1. No colour
2. Zooming and moving around the pdf page to see the things is ass on e-ink

But if the PDF is, say, a scan of a small piece of paper with nothing but text on it it's fine.
>>
>>55506593
It's bad for PDFs because they're not just text. PDFs are, most of the time, a picture.

Picture isn't text.
>>
>>55499727
Tech-illiterate here. I'm considering buying one for that purpose.

Whatever you put on it isn't detected by Amazon in any way?

Anything particular to keep in mind when putting stuff on it (besides formatting through Calibre)?
>>
>>55504052
ChuwiHi8 had a lot of problems hardware wise. I almost bought one but then some faggot from chinkshitgeneral pointed that out to me.
>>
>>55506967
There's really no saying what Amazon can or can't see on your Kindle, but I put pirated shit on mine all the time and nothing has happened yet.
Don't put pdfs on a Kindle. Don't even try converting pdfs into different formats and then putting those on a Kindle. Kindles weren't meant to view pdfs, and it shows. The formatting will get all kinds of fucked up. Once, a pdf I converted to azw3 (az3w?) had 4 lines per page. Just don't. It's not worth it.
When you're setting up your preferences in Calibre, make sure you have the appropriate device selected. If you're buying the newest Paperwhite, put in the preferences that you have the Voyage since they have the same resolution.
When converting .epub files for your Kindle, convert to .azw3 (az3w?). It's Amazon's new default format.
Keep in mind that you should buy a Kobo instead. I bought the newest Paperwhite and I kinda regret it because of Calibre's bullshit.
>>
>>55507088
Apparently it's possible to custom ROM kobo. That along with epub and pdf compatibility is preferrable tbqh. I have more reading to do, hate having consumer autism, purchases have to be impeccable.
>>
>>55507088
I've had no issues with calibre. Don't convert PDFs, it'll never work just due to the format. Everything I've converted to mobi (not azw!) has turned out fine.
>>
Kobo is way better than Kindle.

That said, you should wait. Kobo is going to release a 7.8" reader by the end of this year.
>>
>>55507266
Converting to azw3 allows you to use Vocabulary Builder with sideloaded books. Might not be a plus, but since azw3 is basically just mobi, I don't see why not to convert epub to azw3.
>>
>>55507238
Then do it. You might want to wait though. A bunch of articles have cropped up pretty recently saying that a 7.8 inch (And possibly 6 inch, but that's just rumors) Kobo is due to be released. Probably this year, like >>55507314 said.
>>
>>55507238
You can do lots of shit with the kobo
http://pip.cat/khd/#
There's some hacks, and you can find forums full of mods for the firmware.
>>
>>55508253
it's easy? no way to brick it?
>>
Nexus 7 2016 later this year
>>
>>55499702
don't get an ereader (with e-ink screen) if you want to read anything else than regular books. PDFs or otherwise deliberately formatted documents work like complete ass on them.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.